Catastrophic eating emergency support!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Jpscloud,
    I don’t think you came across as being lonely. I didn’t read it that way. What concerned me was the sense of shame about the secret eating. No one should feel like that about themselves. I really hope that the guilt has shrivelled up and died now you’ve brought it out into the open.
    You are obviously a resourceful and loving carer to your elderly parents, and you also work and are mostly succeeding with a low cal/ low carb diet. All credit to you for managing all that. Can’t wait to see the new you emerge once you realise that what you are achieving is actually pretty amazing and you are going to beat the secret eating. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by jpscloud
    on

Ah thanks Cherrianne – I do feel some shame about the secret eating/binging, and that has in the past led to a downward spiral – catastrophic eating at its peak.

However after much soul-searching and self-contemplation over the years, and recently the internet and various blogs and forums, the sense of shame is much less. It’s now more of a sense of helplessness when I’m in the grip of something I can’t control. Over the past year I have had some weight loss success but had started gaining some weight back, due to the binging habits getting the better of me again.

Discovering the BSD and finding out that I can do it, albeit with some lapses, has given me new courage. Thanks for your kind support – I have a feeling I’ll be posting a lot on this thread!

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Well it sounds to me like you are on the right track and determined to do it this time. The BSD will definitely help stop the bingeing if you can stay on the low carb track for a while. Those carb cravings will disappear and you will be able to resist the urge to over eat.
    When that happens for the first time I expect I’ll be able to hear you cheering all the way over here in Aus ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi jpscloud, I second everything cherrianne said. I didn’t think you came across as lonely either ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by jpscloud
    on

Thanks Hashimoto ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Aly
    on

Totally lost it for best part of a week. My no grain bake book arrived today and kicked me back into gear. Life is a bit tough just now and as usual food has been my comfort. New day tomorrow and back to it. I will crack this!

• posted by Bill1954
    on

That bronco been bucking again Aly ?
    Back on board now and show it who’s boss and this time hold tight, it’s going to be a bumpy ride but you already know how to deal with it.
    Just comfort yourself now with the thought of all the wonderful new food you’re going to bake from the new book.
    A pat on the back tastes better than bar of chocolate anyway.

• posted by Aly
    on

Just ordered almond flour and coconut butter from Holland and Barrett. Am becoming a regular customer to their online shop!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Aly so good to see you back on board! You’ll have fun with those flours when they arrive ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Marjorie
    on

Well after a couple of weeks of messing around I am now firmly back on track. Thanks JPS cloud for sharing about your secret eating – I’ve been known to do that too then usually end up beating myself up then losing the plot completely. However I am determined this time and have promised myself that if I have a blip it will be that – a blip and nothing else. Good luck to everyone. Be kind to yourself x

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Well done Marjorie. You are right, there’s nothing to be gained by wasting time and energy beating yourself up for slips and blips. Think all of us identify with that syndrome, but I’ve found with the BSD it is so much easier to just get on track again the next day. We all need to be kind to ourselves and forgive ourselves when we err – we are human after all!

Best of luck everyone for great results at next weigh-in.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Agreed sunnyb!

• posted by Marjorie
    on

Thanks for the support folks – firmly back on the losing track – lost 3 pounds this week ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Great news Marjorie! Keep us posted on progress.

• posted by Debi
    on

Oh, help!

I already struggle with 800 Cals but stay low carb and exercise heavily. However, towards the end of week 3 and last night (wk5) I have gorged on a 200g bag of plain cashews!!
    What is wrong with me? (Apart from the obvious weakness).
    Why am I hungry and failing?
    Not diabetic but body and mind feels better on low carb eating plan. I’m probably currently a stone over-weight even with the 7lb loss in just under 5wks. (That could change after ‘nutgate’๐Ÿ˜ซ

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi deb, you might need to keep some emergency snack foods prepared – celery sticks, hard boiled eggs. When you buy nuts portion them out into little containers – it’s far too easy to keep on going with a bag of nuts and I should know as I have done it so often.

Aldi do little packets of nuts and seeds, 153 calories, 2.7 carbs. It keeps my nut snacking under control. Sometimes I eat a packet for lunch and nibble on crudites

๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Deb
    If you’re hungry maybe you need to add a bit more fat? Keeps the hunger at bay!
    Penny

• posted by Debi
    on

Hashimito and Penny – you darlings for replying. You are telling me what I know but it is weird how you need someone else to help it sink in:

I’m currently boiling some eggs so I have an emergency snack supply.

I always have heaps of salad n veg in to snack on but dislike it cold from the fridge. Therefore, I’m making a snack tub to keep on the worktop for weak moments – hoping it will become habit-forming. After all, did anyone become obese my gorging on celery, cucumber & courgettes?! ๐Ÿ˜‚
    Lastly, I am about to try the coconut oil & cream in coffee combo for breakfast as I have homemade chicken Passanda with cauli rice for dinner tonight at 526 Cals:) anchovy salad as late lunch & I should manage?
    Thank you xx

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Hi Deb, we’ve all been there! It happens to everyone at some stage, with or without this programme. As the other guys have said, take what you can from it as a,learning experience but then forget about it and get back on track. Its already in the past, its what you do next that matters. You can,and will get things together today, you know on-plan is where you need to be. You can do it!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Debi, I’m the same re chilled salad. It kills the flavour. I leave my yoghurt and berries out of the fridge for 10 mins to take the worst of the chill off.

Your food menu for today sounds yummy ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by jpscloud
    on

Interesting re. chilling salad – I couldn’t fit my greek salad (tomatoes, onion, cucumber, feta and olive oil) for lunch in the fridge yesterday and it tasted so much nicer than when chilled.

Hashimoto thanks for the tip re. small containers for nuts – it’s one of those common sense things that I forget to do!

Deb, I got some redskin peanuts (raw) and they make a good choice for hunger/craving moments as they are quite difficult to scoff fast and you feel content quickly with them. I’ll still use a small container though!

• posted by Debi
    on

Redskin peanuts – love them. I’m actually wondering if I’m going to have to stop purchasing ‘nuts’ unless for a particular recipe/meal. I don’t trust myself:) I had to do the same with Meridian nut butters! Gosh. They are SO dangerous to have access to.
    Ha Ha

X

• posted by jpscloud
    on

Oh yes! I can’t trust myself around potato crisps, and for the first time ever I have managed to not buy them since starting the BSD. We just have to get to know our triggers, I suppose!

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Debi
    I put the nuts and nut butters on a high shelf in the cupboard. I have to stand on a chair! So can’t casually eat them.
    Penny

• posted by peanutbutty
    on

Hi all,

I have been away for a while as I had the honour of being birth partner to my bereaved friend – a very emotional time and eating schedules have somewhat gone out of the window with first the labour and now the support/ solidarity shifts. Both mum and beautiful baby boy now doing well and back at home – if only we could attach photos to threads?!

I have been doing this plan on and off during that period – some days sticking to the plan, other times going round to cook lasagne for friend or sharing a coffee and apricot pastry with her. The main thing I have been trying to crack is the “secret eating” that jpscloud refers to. I have been telling myself that I can eat whatever want as long as I eat in front of other people; if I am eating my myself then I have to stick to the plan.

That has seemed to work to some extent on the sugar cravings (not even an Easter egg for me!) although obviously I have still been having some carbs. Now that things are a bit more settled with friend and baby I want to go back to the plan full time so that hopefully, by the end of the 8 weeks I will be able to answer more “nos” than “yesses” to the carb addiction questions (currently all yesses).

I have been keeping in touch reading the forums and must confess I actually shed a tear or two reading some of the threads here – whether it’s the support people are offering each other, or the progress they are reporting – Bill going to pre-diabetic?! AMAZING! (Having said that, I did cry the other day at the mere sight of a man walking a dog, so may still be a bit emotional in general!)

Hope everyone is well and wishing you all a peaceful week of mindful and determined eating x

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Peanutbutty
    Glad to have you back. You are clearly a very wonderful and loyal friend! I think your new attitude towards food is a very healthy one. The thing about secret eating is the calories still count and most of us would admit that it is actually a form of self-punishment not reward because there are so few benefits to come from it. I’ve certainly been there. But the rewards of just a few pounds lost are massive. I think you are going to have lots more emotional moments as you are now an Aunty but they will be great times and we will help you through anything else you need.

• posted by jpscloud
    on

๐Ÿ™‚ No wonder you’re emotional Peanutbutty – how lovely to be able to help your friend like that.

I am managing my secret eating better this week – I am planning a “meal off” tonight, after I weigh in. Now… I know that’s a red flag normally – there’s a destructive pattern where people starve before weighing, then have a binge after weigh-in. That was me all last year, along with many others from Slimming world – we used to see each other in the supermarket after group, and do “dirty food confessions”! The thing is, I couldn’t then stop bingeing, and it would go on for several days, stalling any weight loss.

It is strange but I feel very much more in control now. I do still have my secret eating moments, but they are more planned and controlled than ever before, and they are getting less frequent. I hope by the end of my 8 weeks, I will be able to say I don’t feel the need to do it any more.

I think the diet has shown me that I can eat less and it doesn’t hurt. I can stop eating, and it doesn’t hurt. I can sleep on a nearly-empty stomach, and it doesn’t hurt… it might grumble a bit, but it’s completely bearable.

Far from hurting, it actually feels SO GOOD!! I am sure that I will be able to retrain my psychology to dislike the feeling I get after a binge, and prefer the feelings of slight hunger.

Mindful eating – I must work more on that. I still sometimes find myself scoffing away without thinking about it, but the much smaller portions I am having now do encourage me to make it last and enjoy every mouthful!

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Hi jpscloud
    I couldn’t agree with you more about being able to control things much better now. I’ve been here nearly eight weeks now and its as though my mind and body are finally in agreement with each other about what is good for me. I am having a day off plan today, deliberately, but my mindset is completely different to how it used to be. There will always be times when I will make exceptions to the diet but I really think that is normal and realistic and Dr Mosley does it too! The difference now is that they really will be occasional treats without causing a binge meltdown. WW and slimming world used to tell us this is what ‘naturally slim people’ were able to do. I kind of get that now.

• posted by jpscloud
    on

Janet, yes! “mind and body are finally in agreement with each other about what is good for me” – that’s the holy grail! Even after just two weeks I’m feeling more like that than ever in my life.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Peanutbutty, what a wonderful friend you are. To even try to stick to plan a little during the experiences you are going through is highly commendable. I hope everything becomes easier for you and more bearable for your poor friend. Wishing all the best for the two (should I say 3) of you ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi peanutbutty

What a very good friend you are. Wishing everything good to new mum & baby. You will be needed for a long time yet.
    Now it’s time to be your own very good friend. Wave bye bye to excess carbs, they are nobody’s friend. You can do it & still make great food for others. Put yourself first, make sure you know what you will eat. Make it tasty, then feed the rest.

It’s your turn now. Look in the mirror & say Hi to your new best friend !
    Eureka

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Jpscloud – it means this isn’t another faddy diet, its a way of life. Well done to you for coming so far so quickly!

• posted by LH
    on

I fell off the wagon at high speed and face planted big time. Bank Holiday BBQ was the start of the downfall..forgot just how good some things taste when liberally doused in dressing !! Allthough since then I have not eaten a huge amount a lot of what I have eaten has been bad (aka really tasty and usually chocolate covered). Saw this thread on one of my facebook posts from the 8WBSD and hit the link….phew..I think you guys have just got me back on track again. Feel a complete plonker..have lost nearly three stone doing the diet and now starting again to shift another. bob fox your post was a killer..just thinking about your poor mother in law and what she has had to go through…I will try to keep that in mind if I feel the carbs calling…Thank you people !

• posted by LH
    on

In previous post typo….*although* ….you see..eating carbs makes you spell incorrectly !

Please log in or register to post a reply.