Carpal tunnel getting better?!!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Catherine70
    on

Hi all I have carpal tunnel and both sis and mum had surgery to relieve pressure. I went to the Dr’s before I started this plan and BMI was 37 and referred for surgery. Have a date for end of Sept but have noticed less symptoms. My BMI is 31 and still on weight loss journey aiming to get to 25. Has anyone with carpal tunnel noticed same thing? Thanks for reading this Catherine πŸ˜€

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi Catherine70. I had dreadful carpal tunnel during one of my pregnancies. It cleared up on its own a couple of months after giving birth. I’m not sure if it was a weight or hormone related cause. But I was pleased to avoid surgery! Has your doctor given any advice on whether or not to wait and see?

• posted by JGwen
    on

Carpal Tunnel is apparently caused by pressure on the nerve in the wrist. Often this involves inflammation in the wrist. – A high carb diet causes high levels of inflammation. A low carb diet reduces inflammation.

Is changing diet going to be enough in your situation to avoid surgery? That’s unknown, but it sounds to a layman that it will not hurt to try.

Before the class room snitches start to report me to teacher for answering a question that only someone one with a medical degree is allowed to think about, —— Does it mean that every person who has a health problem caused by inflammation will have a miraculous cure and there will be a pile of abandoned wheelchairs and crutches somewhere? Probably not. πŸ™‚

• posted by alliecat
    on

JGwen, you are naughty! No more talk of reporting posts! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ (I’ve been without email
    for several days, but program back in working order, so will catch up later today)

Hi Catharine70! I spent a decade working as a PA for a neurosurgeon, and we saw this
    condition routinely. It’s caused by entrapment of a nerve at the wrist, and the surgical
    intervention is release of the transverse carpal ligament. Outcomes are usually excellent,
    unless a patient has left it unattended for 5 years or more. Has your surgeon recommended
    the use of a cock-up splint or a reduction in sodium intake? Since you have a good period
    of time ahead before surgery, you might ask if either of these modalities would help
    alleviate your symptoms? When people began spending long hours on P.C.’s, incidences
    of CTS have gone up dramatically. I sincerely hope that you can reverse this, but try not
    to worry too much…it is a fairly simple and benign procedure. Best to you,

Allie

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Allie, I did think about mentioning that I am qualified to work on horses with a similar condition…… But thought better of it. πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚
    In horses, because of the effect of the inflammation putting pressure on the blood vessels initially they become larger / have a thicker wall. If blood supply continues to be limited then secondary blood vessels expand to ensure blood supply to the hoof continues, is it the same in humans

• posted by alliecat
    on

NEVER hold back, JGwen! When you speak, we listen πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

• posted by Catherine70
    on

Hi Caron glad to hear you didn’t have to have surgery. I have not mentioned it to Dr yet so am going to ask just in case they suggest a wait and see approach.
    πŸ˜€ Catherine

• posted by Catherine70
    on

Hi JGwen have just read something similar about being over weight and diet link to carpal tunnel. I may see if I can postpone until I get to good BMI. Hope you are having a good weekend 😁 Catherine

• posted by Catherine70
    on

Hi Allie thanks for your advice very reassuring if I have to have it. The Dr did not mention sodium and I bought my own hand splint thing which helps at night when I have the most problem. I also use a PC for my job so that does not 😣. Hope you are well 😁 Catherine

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi Catherine70. When I was having real trouble with carpal tunnel, I reset the mouse settings to use it with my other hand. Might be worth a try? Won’t help with the typing, but reduces all those painful clicks!

• posted by SueBlue
    on

I used to have a lot of issues with carpal tunnel and tendinitis. I switched to using a roller mouse bar and it’s so much better as I can use either hand.
    I do have Rheumatoid Arthritis which is an inflammatory arthritis and it has definitely improved since starting BSD. Not so much to weight loss but my improved diet leading to less inflammation. I certainly have less problems with my hands and wrists nowadays.

• posted by Snoop
    on

My OH was recommended pills by his GP. Turned out they were a vitamin B complex. He was very surprised, but I consulted a qualified GP friend who confirmed that B6 in particular helps nerves in carpal tunnel injuries. OH succeeded in avoiding surgery. I use a computer all day for work too. Try a mouse wrist mat. It has made all the difference to me.

• posted by Catherine70
    on

Hi Snoop ooh thank you for this info not heard about B vitamins helping. Will buy and also get a wrist mouse mat. Take care
    πŸ˜€ Catherine

Please log in or register to post a reply.