Carb Counting

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by EsmeWeatherwax
    on

Hi
    I’m sorting out what to eat and I need to decide what food is ok that I have already in my cupboard, and also if I need to replace something in a recipe with another.
    Does anyone have a rule of thumb about what amount of carbs per 100g/100ml is allowed?
    Thanks!

• posted by Mariet
    on

Hi Esme,
    I don’t think there’s any particular rule. I don’t choose anything that’s more than 1/10th carb, so 10 g/100g or ml. I would try to find something lower though, that 10% is my upper limit- unless I have fallen off the wagon.
    Tbh, since being on this WOE I don’t have many processed foods in my pantry at all but I do have canned beans/chickpeas which are sometimes above that limit- when I use those they are a very small part of a meal though.

Hope that helps. others may have more evidence based advise for you.

Mariet

on

Hi
    Thanks for that, it was really a guide I was after, like you say, chick peas go over that guide but you can still have a few. It’s the stuff that’s not obviously high carb I need to look out for if I need to change an ingredient.
    It’s just me that’s going to be doing the diet fully, so not everything in the food cupboard will be OK.

• posted by JessKirkpri1
    on

Hi Esme,
    I don’t personally go for per 100g because serving sizes of different foods will be different. I would suggest it is more to do with the total amount of carbs in a meal. You could use an app like MyFitnessPal to track for a week or so: You will pretty quickly get a feel for the carb counts of foods you eat regularly.

Personally I aim for a maximum of 20g of carb per meal. If I want something higher carb like fruit I eat this on its own, seperate from a meal.

Are you eating a lot of processed food/foods in packets? Start where you are at and maybe compare brands of the products and swap to the one with the lowest carb count as an easy switch.

on

Hi,
    Thanks, 100g seemed like an easy way of working out a percentage, thinking of 20g is a good idea, will try the app. I don’t eat a lot of packet foods, I usually cook from scratch but as this is a very low carb diet I wanted to be careful, particularly with things like condiments. I’d planned to have fruit as a dessert so thanks for the heads up on that!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

One carb high fruit that you wouldnt think of is apple. An average sized apple has 20g carbs. You are better to check everything before you eat it just until you get used to it. If you need a quick visual list try looking on http://www.dietdoctor.com and search for carbs.

• posted by RubyG
    on

As I was really new to carb counting, I have found using MyFitnessPal works for me, as long as I weigh and track everything.
    Set a suitable target for g carb per day, everyone is different in their response, and you can monitor this in MFP.
    Initially I aimed for NO obvious carbs and have also not reintroduced beans, pulses, oats etc. but all veg contain carbs and as S-G says, the Diet Doctor has a good visual guide to carb content.
    On days when I don’t weigh or track (like the last 2 weeks festive detour) I have enough of an idea now of what I can eat from a carb perspective, even if I may be exceeding my desired cal intake – I’d rather go over on cals than carbs.
    Good luck on your journey!

Please log in or register to post a reply.