Carb Count

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Scandigirl
    on

I am following the 800 calories BSD. I only eat meat, vegetables and salads. Should I also be keeping track of my carbs? I don’t eat the starchy vegetables but noticed I have counted 50 carbs one day when I was eating cauliflower, tomatoes, etc. I am trying to be more aware of carb intake now. I am down 11 pounds in three weeks and just want to make sure what the daily carb count should be.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Hi Scandigirl

If you use an app like MyFitnessPal (there are others too) you can keep an eye on the carbs. And other components.

I have relatively little to lose and so decided to keep carbs low if I could. Some people here try to do 30-50gms per day, which means a bit less of the cauliflower/cabbage end of the veg.

I also bought some Ketostix (on the internet) which test if you are in ketosis and burning fat. Whilst at some points my weight didn’t go down ( though measurements did) I was reassured to know I was still fat burning, which must mean some of my visceral fat, round my liver and pancreas, was going – such good news.

So this worked for me. 4 weeks in and 11 of my target 22lbs down. :-). Feeling good too.

• posted by SkyWalker
    on

Hi, keep going it works for nearly all of us. Daily Allowance for Carbohydrate is 300 mg/day. It can be tough when there are so many sugars and hidden ingredients to count so a ball park figure is all it can be unless you have more time and knowledge than most of us. It is sad that the white foods are so high in carbs but then nuts and fruit are so high in calories too – but it is not for ever on 800/day. Good Luck…

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

Hello Skywalker, isn’t 300 mg a day 0.3 g or do you mean 30g? sorry, just to clarify as I have been carefully counting my carbs, thanks

• posted by Scandigirl
    on

Thanks for the encouragement. I am in for the 8 weeks and not giving up. I downloaded my fitness pal and will be more diligent watching my calorie count. Thanks for all help!

• posted by SkyWalker
    on

Yes the Daily Allowance tables for essential nutrients quotes in milligrams and micrograms as appropriate but yes 300 mg is 30 gms.

• posted by Sandie
    on

Scandigirl we are in this together. I am starting to calorie and carb count tomorrow. I have been loosly following the BSD for a few days now and am loosing weight. I am looking forward to my next 8 weeks

• posted by Scandigirl
    on

I counted my calories and carbs today and did much better. So glad we have this board for advice and encouragement!

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

That’s great Scandigirl – onwards and downwards!

• posted by Scandigirl
    on

Keeping with the carbs have made a difference for sure. Down 12 lbs this morning!

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Whoah! Congratulations!

🙂

• posted by Malink
    on

Hi all! I’m on day 3. I have 6 stone to lose. Feeling so much better already. I’d usually fall asleep in front of the TV by 8.30 or need an afternoon nap. It’s incredible how much better I feel in such a short space of time. I use my fitness pal to record my meals and it makes me feel more accountable for what I eat. I got the shakes before my lunch today but feel better having finished a vegetable curry with cauliflower rice. My carb goal for the day is 50g but I have gone to 60 on the 1st 2 days. Easing myself into it! I’m looking forward to hearing how others are doing -the advice is a great help. I might be able to impart some knowledge as I go further into this but it’s all very new at the moment.

• posted by Michael Rolls
    on

Yes the Daily Allowance tables for essential nutrients quotes in milligrams and micrograms as appropriate but yes 300 mg is 30 gms.<<
    Skywalker
    Sorry, but that’s wrong A milligram is one thousandth of a gram. 300 milligrams are 0.3 grams. And a microgram is one millionth of a gram. If your table is saying 300 = 30grams, it is quoting decigrams – each decigram in one tenth of a gram.
    Mike

Please log in or register to post a reply.