Carb/calorie counter advice

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Maryh117
    on

Where can I find simple lists of foods with carb/calorie values? Have looked on app site (iOS) but too many very variable reviews.
    Just started fast 800 with Dr. Clare Baileys book. Really enjoying the recipes, thank you! But what if I want to substitute ingredients? eg. Tuna & avocado instead of Salmon?
    Perhaps there is such a list in one of your other books – but which? Or is there a good app for iPad?

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi Mary
    I use fatsecret.co.uk which identifies cals, carbs, protein, sugars, fibre etc in foods. Alternatively, quite a few people on here use MyFitnessPal; there are others as well but I can’t quite remember them right now. I’m sure others will let you know what they use.

I also have the book ‘Carbs and Cals’ which has photos of different foodstuff, different portion sizes etc which I used early on, but mostly I used/use fatsecret for planning meals and tracking intake of carbs/cals etc.

Btw, a good site for info on carbs in various foods is dietdoctor.com. I particularly like the visual guides on different foods, veg, fruit, etc and their carb values. Some nice recipes, too.

Yes, there are lots of us on here who substitute things, and/or just make up /adopt our own recipes
    Hope everything goes well. Shout out if there is anything else.
    Jennie xx

Edited: Meant to say – I’ve not moved past a laptop computer technology-wise, so I’m guessing you’ll be able to access fatsecret or MyFitnessPal from your iPad

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

Where possible, try to make like-for-like substitutes in recipes to maintain the variety and balance of nutrients that Dr Mosley and his team intended. So tender leafy greens for tender leafy greens, cruciferous vegetable for cruciferous vegetable, oily fish for oily fish.

For example fresh – or frozen raw – tuna and salmon are both oily fish, but canned tuna fish is not. This is because tuna is cooked before canning, and loses the (essential for health) omega-3 fats at that stage. Other oily fish are cooked in the can so keep their essential fatty acids, tuna is the exception. If you enjoy canned tuna you could use it in recipes which call for non-oily white fish.

Cruciferous vegetables that could sub for regular broccoli or regular cauliflower include collard greens, red cabbage, cavolo nero, purple-sprouting broccoli, Romanesco cauliflower, Savoy cabbage, Kalette sprouts. Lists of fruits, vegetables, seafood and meats in their ‘families’ can be found online.

HTH. 🙂

• posted by Maryh117
    on

Thanks both for your help, well received!
    I’ve also purchased (not dead cheap!) “The Calorie, Carb and Fat bible 2019” which has given me what I need. It’s amazing to find that there are numbers of products which have reasonably low calories but comparatively big carb values, so it’s given me even more to think about.
    Mary

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi there, Mary, and a big WELCOME to you 🙂 This site isn’t managed or monitored by MMosley, and he simply has moderators
    who are in charge of keeping everything friendly. There are many very experienced BSDers here, however, and we are all
    very generous with our experience and heartfelt support. I’m not familiar with the book you have mentioned, but I’m glad
    that you are finding it enlightening. To adapt to this way of life, we are called upon to throw out everything we’ve been
    taught about healthy eating for the last 30 years. The entire experience is life changing. I relentlessly recommend
    Gary Taubes book, “Why We Get Fat…and What To Do About It. It’s the perfect companion to the Fast800 book, and thoroughly
    explains the role of insulin and insulin resistance, and makes a very convincing case as to why the carbs are the monsters.
    Enjoy looking through the threads, and join in anywhere. You will receive a warm welcome! Hope to see you out and
    about! 🙂

Allie

Please log in or register to post a reply.