Can I eat good carbs?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by skinnywannabe
    on

Hello everyone

I’m thinking of starting the BSD diet, but am I got concerned about cutting out most carbs. I’ve read the book and it seems to give conflicting guidance to this subject?

Am I ok to eat certain cereals, wholegrain bread, New potatoes, wholewheat pasta etc…..

I also wondered if it’s ok to follow the 800 calories a day, for a longer period of time as I have about 10 stone to loose?

Any advice gratefully received

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Welcome Skinnywannabe! It is great to see that you are contemplating starting the BSD — just start and worry about the details of carbs as you go along. For all of us it has been a learning curve as we go, figuring out how many carbs and what kinds of carbs work best for each of our individual metabolisms. That said, you can eat carbs still, but you will lose weight faster if you limit the number — some people go for less than 50 per day, I have preferred as few as 20 per day. The real problem with any kind of bread or cereal on this diet is that it uses up so many of your (rather small) allotment of daily calories and gives you very little in return, nutritionally-wise (even wholemeal). You need protein, fat and calcium and all your other nutrients and bread/cereals just don’t deliver. Also, you are trying to start up your internal, natural fat burning and carbs interfere with that process. A good book on the subject is Gary Taubes book “Why We Get Fat” — it is a clear discussion of the role that carbs have played in the obesity epidemic. There are “good carbs” that are OK in small servings, such as pulses. In any case, good to see you here and you can always seek further guidance as you go along!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Skinnwannabe. Welcome to the family.

I’ve been doing this for 21 weeks and have currently lost 4 stone 1 pound. Just over another 2 stone to lose. The BSD team said it was ok to stay on the 800 calories for an extra few weeks, then go to 5:2. But lots of us are sticking with the 800 calories as we have more weight to lose.

I think most of us worried about cutting the carbs, but now realise how much better we feel without them. I keep my carb level as low as possible but can’t give an exact figure – we all find our own level.

My suggestion would be to stick with the 800 calories, cut out all refined carbs, eat veg grown above the ground, restrict fruit to berries, eat full fat products and drink lots of water. Since starting this I’ve even lost the taste for diet fizzy drinks – something I never thought could happen.

Any questions, just ask. Lots of support on here.

• posted by skinnywannabe
    on

Thanks for the great advice captainlynne & californiagirl!

I’m planning on starting on Friday, after getting all my shopping in, so think I will focus on no refined carbs and plenty of water to start and see how I get on.

Will keep you posted on my journey.

Please log in or register to post a reply.