Calories specified in the recipes – correct?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Jenniferoula
    on

Hi all,

I am on day 3, week 1 of the 800 Fast diet, and have been following to a T the menu plan in the recipe book, with all recipes. Each meal has a calorie count, to make it supposedly around 800 a day. However, when I go ahead and count the calories of each ingredient separately, I come up WAY above what is specified in the book…. Is it me?

Has anyone followed the menu plan for the 8 weeks exactly and had results? I feel a bit stressed out, because without the plan and recipes, I just know I will get bored and not follow through. But I don’t want to be trying to do 800 a day and ending up with 1200!

Any experience around this?

Thanks in advance!

Jennifer

• posted by Esnecca
    on

No, the calorie counts are not correct. Just as you found out, they can be off by hundreds of calories. The idea, I gather, is that over the course of the week it’ll all shake out to an average of 800 calories a day. People have definitely been successful following the meal plan for 8 weeks.

Do you have any favorite recipes that you used to make before the BSD? Perhaps we could help you modify them to be BSD-friendly. That way you won’t be bored and you’ll know exactly what you’re eating, calorie and carb-wise.

• posted by Jenniferoula
    on

Thank you Esnecca!

Not really, as I was already having no more than 1200 a day, but not BSD friendly I guess, as mostly fruit and low fat dairy. I didn’t really cook anything, as I was always worried about calories (ironically) — thanks soooo much for offering though, that’s very kind.

I guess I will tweak the recipes, remove unnecessary ingredients, have teaspoons instead of tablespoons etc. I counted the first week out with the plan, and it doesn’t add up to an average of less than 1000 a day ๐Ÿ™ It was too yummy to be true lol! ๐Ÿ˜‰

I just really want to try 800 cals a day… I am IR and also hope to reverse that so as not to become T2, and have 20 kilos to lose. It’s going to take more panning than anticipated I suppose.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi, Jenniferoula. Esnecca and I are highly insulin resistant, like you, and we both found that we had
    to reduce our carbs to <20 per day to achieve the results we were seeking. Weighing and measuring
    everything is key, especially the carbs, and I understand that the recipe book is not accurate with calorie
    amounts, and doesn’t give net carb totals at all. Many see great results with <50 net carbs, so some
    trial and error and “counting” is advisable to establish a baseline for you.
    Best of luck to you!

Allie

• posted by Jenniferoula
    on

Thank you Allie! That’s really helpful!
    I guess I will start doing that — Googling all the ingredients and planning the day.

Thank you very much!

Jennifer

• posted by alliecat
    on

Any time, Jennifer – Let us know how you get on! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Jennifer, check out some of the sites listed on the RESOURCE thread. There might be things there that appeal to you.

Also, check out this website “I Breath Im Hungry” good low cal low carb site her meatball lineup is pretty awesome and she gives pretty solid nutrition counts.

https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/recipes/?fwp_categories=low-carb-keto-main-dish-recipes&fwp_special_diets=low-carb

https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/recipes/?fwp_categories=low-carb-keto-main-dish-recipes%2Clow-carb-meatball-recipes&fwp_special_diets=low-carb

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

And Jennifer, Esnecca is right….if it looks too good to be true, better check the nutrition counts yourself by plugging in the key ingredients (leave out spices, salt & pepper which have no calories and no carbs) into one of the meal tracker sites. Better safe than sorry. And when you find a recipe you like and calculate it….done. Never have to do it again. You now know what is in it for next time (just write down and save info).

Pretty soon you will be able to recognize the iffy one at a glance.

• posted by Jenniferoula
    on

Luvtcook Thanks so much for that! Will book mark those, and yes, good idea writing down a recipe count for the next time! ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks for the tips!!!!

Please log in or register to post a reply.