Calories in Stock

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi,
    I am about to make vegetable stock, something I have not done for years – but I do remember that it tasted a whole lot better than the bought varieties.
    Like any stock, it involves long, slow cooking (slightly less in the pressure cooker) and at the end, sieving the fluid off and discarding the rest.
    The discard is mainly the fibre in the veg that you added. The vitamins etc are in the stock. However – where are the carbs, fats and sugars???? I would expect some to be in the discard, but not all? Any thoughts or experience in the group? The other option is to count everything that went into it as part of the stock – it will make probably double the calories of the soups … but maybe that is correct!

NB – I am not look at using it on the 800 diet, but on the 5:2 for the ‘5’ days.

• posted by orchid
    on

thank-you!

• posted by Gidget371
    on

I found a stock I made on ham bone to be scrumptious and filling so it made me worry too. I searched online and was unable to make a definitive decision as to how many calories was in the stock. I use myfitness pal and would recommend it to anyone and they had a calorie count for ham bone stock so I used that one. I was adding kale and red lentil to it to further increase the bulk and fibre and turn it into a soup. Again delicious but when I counted the calories in red lentils it was horrifying. All carbs!!!

• posted by Fredforest
    on

Those cards in red lentils are good carbs, apparently. Just don’t add too many.

I use leeks to bulk out my stock based soups and that seems to work a treat.

Please log in or register to post a reply.