Calorie miscalculations on some recipes πŸ€”

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi lucpet, if you have an iPad you could download the app. I have been using it since I was diagnosed 2 years ago. It’s brilliant in that you can type in recipes and serves and just add that to your daily diary. It will track your intakes and weight loss too. I also use it to help me decide whether to buy/ eat certain foods because you can check carbs/ cals etc to see if it’s worth it.

• posted by nikkioaks
    on

lucpet

i’m trying out the australian calorie king, (with .com.au at the end), and have found it easier to find australian foods with it than mfp. I have also used the EasyDietDiary, and found it was definitely good, but it is only on the phone, and i wanted something to use on the computer. Calorie king also does an app, but again i think it is for iPhone.

I have also been finding that the calorie count on the calorie king site gives different results from those of the recipes in the meal plan. I’m using the ones from the Daily Mail while I wait for the book to arrive. For example, the Blueberry and green tea shake I get 237 on calorie king, while the meal plan gives 100. I’m not going to fuss too much about that – planning to use the recipes on the sheets and see how I go.

it’s a while since your post, but hope this helps if you pick it up.

• posted by Matrika
    on

Yes Calorie King app is only for iPhone, I tyried to get it last night. I have a new android phone and don’t use an Apple computer aso am looking for a good android phone app that I can use…most of my food has no bar codes, don’t eat prepackaged anything much and am having to adapt a lot because I have a few other major health issues that prevent me currently following the recipe ingredients as are, needing to substitue, hence my wanting to find a good Aussie calorie counter for my Oz Samsung. Hopefully in the near future will have less substitutions necessary but at present, not a choice.

I’m not usually into calories and am clueless about them!

Thanks to everyone for the information…invaluable.

• posted by ResearcherDarwin
    on

I agree that the calorie count is sometimes quite inaccurate.
    I use a phone ap which calculates the carbs, calories, fat and fibre much more accurately. It also automatically calculates my BMI. The ap came free with my Samsung phone. It saves everything and tracks my progress. I can look back at any time and it does not use any of my data allowance.
    There are heaps of excellent recipes on the internet that you can add to your repetoire. All you need do is Google low-carb-low-calorie recipes. Each recipe will say how many calories etc. I do not like the Mosely food – different tastes – so I must make a weekly menu using recipes that fit the requirements but also suit us. Sometimes I wonder about the iron and magnesium levels, but it is only for a few weeks and then I can be more moderate.

• posted by Matrika
    on

ResearcherDarwin,
    Could you tell me please which app?
    That sounds like exactly what I need and I have a brand new Samsung phone with gazillion apps but I’m not very app savvy…well actually to be honest, I am a complete luddite. πŸ™‚

I think I am doing okay…just leaving out the things I can’t currently eat such as peas, so am probably under 800 cals rather than over.

• posted by Bizibee
    on

I think there may be a difference in the way calories are counted in different countries. Sometimes it’s done as net carbs, which means that the cals from the non digestible fibre that goes through the system are subtracted from the total. I think in the UK net carbs are used and in the US not. Someone correct me if I’m wrong?

• posted by Kiwispot
    on

For Kiwi’s – there is a NZ version of the ‘easydietdiary’ iPhone app. I find it really easy to use and the more people who use and add NZ brands the easier it will become. I find it a lot easier to use than the MFP app.

I had a plateau at week 3 for 13 days – so started to track using this app, I am now losing a kilo a week again, which for me is amazing. I specifically tracked the carb intake – to my body it doesn’t matter what type of carb – I need to keep down below 30g a day what ever the type to lose weight. Find what your threshold is and you will be able to keep losing if you stay below it.

Best of luck out there everyone. πŸ™‚

• posted by Matrika
    on

ResearcherDarwin
    Thank you so much, I found the android app!
    It worked! S Health is the one I am using now.
    Motivated me to go looking and find out what else is hidden away here in my phone.
    What a miracle of modern technology it is.

• posted by edwina
    on

Well done everyone ..
    Ive just started and also noticed some wrong calculations:

page 216 = trout and lime … claims it is 480 cals per portion and serves 2 .. i worked out the average cals are only 540 for the whole amount .so
    that = 270 per serving for 2

page 213 = luxury fish pie… … claims it is 470 per portion and serves 4 … i worked out the average cals are only 955 for whole amount
    so that = 238 per serving for 4

page 204 = hummus classic spicy worked out 1010 for total recipe which divided by 3 = 336 cals per portion . not 250 as the book claims

I think it best to have a check on stuff before you cook it .. I have no complaints about the diet as it is working but work out you own
    calorie intake
    good luck all xxx

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Marrika
    I use Calorieking. Com on the web, not an app. Didn’t realise there was an app! Penny

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Penny ???
    I thought you were on a plane to India ?
    I just got the same sort of treatment on the Facebook page as you did, very touchy over there aren’t they ?

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Bill – Captain Lynne told me the same thing. I have avoided the FB group for the same reason !

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Different strokes for different folks Julia
    If they are happy putting up with that sort of stuff over there, then good for them.
    It’s not for me though

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Indeed. Stick to us and ignore the FB group Bill, we all love and appreciate you on hereπŸ˜‰

• posted by Matrika
    on

Thanks pmshrink was sort of hoping I can get myself set up with a phone app cause it is so convenient and available. I may be about there now with the one that came in my phone and I didn’t know it was there!

Wil explore CalorieKing on my desktop computer tonight, had a quick look and you need to join.

So far I have gained weight in my first few days, 300gm so am not panicking. Not sure how I managed that but will keep on trying. πŸ™‚

• posted by Matrika
    on

Well, the SHealth app has been fabulous for counting calories for me works really well and am loving that it records my steps as well. I know for sure now I am well within the limits and am just going to measure my calories in the app and not try to stick with the recipes in the book.
    They give a great starting point but I don’t think they intend for everyone to stick to their recipes.

I intend to compare the calories and breakdown of food with another set of information somewhen sometime soon, in the meantime, I’m not fussed if there are differences in the quantities…it seems inevitable to me becasue the food supply from country to country varies so much, there would be no universal constant measure of calories would there?

Best of luck to everyone struggling with this calorie question.
    I’m totally converted to the app approach, find it brilliant and easy to use which is what I was wanting.
    Thanks again DarwinResearcher and everyone. πŸ™‚

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Pleased you found something that works Matrika. I have the app on my phone (it was pre installed) but never use it although I do from time to time check my pulse on a different app.
    Good luck on counting the calories but don’t forget to keep an eye on those carbs.

• posted by Matrika
    on

Thanks Bill.
    Because I am not able to eat a lot of the recipes in the book I am substituting mostly and it is helpful to input local produce (not in a packet) and get the calorie breakdown and carb fat and protein numbers for everything and have it automatically input a daily total.

Also happy with the steps registration…a lot more accurate than the thing on my wrist which I am about to give away since I am on a walking frame and it doesn’t register my steps accurately at all. The phone, in a bag on my hip registers brilliantly. I am using the SHealth for measuring my heartbeat now too, yesterday the first time I used it in the gym. All very new for me and I’m delighted and hopeful that I will be able to get very healthy with this…I have been using Samsung phones for years and have never explored the apps at all, just use my own ones I have downloaded, particularly the FODMAP one which has kept me out of hospitaal since I discovered it. Next week I am going into the Samsung store to ask them to show me what else is in my phone that I may benefit from.

Re:carbs…I’ve been keeping an eye on the carbs for years now, at one stage lost 20Kg on a high protein diet… til i discovered it created high inflammation and stimulated insulin too…so then I moved onto water and broth fasting. Acute awareness of carbs and no fructose is how I have stayed completely medication free in spite of type 2 diabetes and being overweight. I am the poster old girl for my GPs clinic, I am their ONLY post 10 years diagnosis diabetic patient who is completely medication free with perfect blood pressure and no diabetes side effects. I think they hate that I do all this on my own without their input but love the result. πŸ™‚

This diet for me is more food than I have been eating…and I am hoping it will work, otherwise I am back to fasting as my insulin control. Which is not a great social thing, fasting is a bit isolating I find.

• posted by Funkydoofamily
    on

I think calculating the ingredients you use specifically is a good way to get used to quantities. Even just the brand or supermarket you use can make a difference to calories. My fitness pal is a great app and you can put your own recipes in. Plus it’s about removing those carbs so that is the principle. 6lb in a week.

• posted by Natasha_ENFP
    on

Hello there,

Just checking in as it ‘s been a few days, really interesting posts, especially some of the recipe calculations!!

I’ve been posting in the Facebook groups and see there have been a few problems. I haven’t checked in on there for a couple of days… I hope everything is ok??? I think support is vital and hope it’s here and also on FB.

I am going through a really down patch today. I basically cancelled all my social stuff for 8 weeks while on the bsd, and this weekend I’m on a training course with 300 people I don’t know, and for some reason I feel really unsettled, when I usually enjoy these types of things, but everything feels really strange and unfamiliar.
    The weather is also freezing cold. I had an incredibly strong urge to comfort myself and relieve this horrible unsettled/unsafe feeling by having a burger and chips, chocolate, or something comfort foody which I know would make me feel better, and had to fight it because I knew that would make me feel worse afterwards. I just feel horrible πŸ™
    Sorry for the complaining. I am losing quite a lot of weight quite quickly and wondering if this is why I’m feeling bad.

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Natasha, sounds like you are doing really well…. am I jealous given my stalling this week! I imagine it is very tough being in a situation where you are out of your comfort zone. We are rooting for you though and I reckon that you are better to go and have a hot bath – this should be relaxing as well as buyng you time while you think what you really want to do😊
    Seems like you have come far already. I in awe…..

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Natasha, that’s tough being cold and uncomfortable in that unfamiliar environment.
    Funny how we all reach for the comfort of food in those situations, all humans are the same at that basic level aren’t they?
    Can you get a nice hearty soup where you are? That might help. Or extra veg with your meal that you can add butter too and indulge your body with the fats.
    The hot bath is a good idea too. Something hot to drink with cinnamon is comforting, like proper chai tea ( not powder), or lemon and ginger.
    We are with you in spirit, cheering you along. The weekend will soon pass, and you can let us know how you managed. Might help someone else through a tough patch. All the best, πŸ™‚

• posted by Kat in Oz
    on

Hi Natasha,

I’m recording all my food in My Fitness Pal……..http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ and it calculates all your food calories for you and so far the calories stated in the recipes are almost spot on according to my diary in MFP. I have been very precise with the recipes too, as I’m very serious about reversing my T2 diabetes…….it’s worth getting a set of cup and spoon measures to be sure.

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi matrika
    I haven’t joined Calorieking and I use it all the time. Hmm.
    Great you found that app on your phone.
    Good luck
    Penny

• posted by Matrika
    on

Hi Penny,
    Are you in Australia?
    I was trying to access it from a PC…joining was easy but haven’t actually used it since I found the Samsung app on the phone (researcher Darwin led me to it)…it is pretty good except it is a bit rigid ie can’t input leeks green leaves, only the white (which I’m not eating). Similarly I can’t always reduce the quantity to what I’m using eg teaspoon coconut oil… 1/2 TBS is their smallest quantity. But that is really not very important…its great so far for me and it beeps and tells me when I’ve reached daily exercise goals or calorie goals…it gives me a reward which I find fantastic!

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Bill must sent that from Dohar Airport in Qatar!
    Goa is beautiful. Very hot! Wedding on Wednesday. ( grandson, who is half Goan. )
    Think of me lazing in the pool in the 37′ heat watching eagles gliding over head!
    Hope your celebrations are going well.
    Penny

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Penny, I’m ‘seeing’ it. I used to watch the eagles in Oman – not too far from Goa as the crow flies. Sounds wonderful πŸ™‚

• posted by Natasha_ENFP
    on

Hi Julia,

That is so lovely, thank you. I feel really uplifted by your text. A hot bath would actually have been amazing (and a great way of getting really present and thinking about whether it would be worth sabotaging the diet) but I got your message the morning after! I will keep that in mind though, I think that would be a great remedy. And since I can now actually fit comfortably in the bath (seriously!) I will make use of it.
    Sunday was much better as the environment felt more familiar and I had connected with a few people. And I brought warm clothes with me! I get a bit anxious in some situations that feel unfamiliar and my default is to reach for comfort foods – I know I am not unique and this is the story for millions!

• posted by Natasha_ENFP
    on

Hi Cherianne,

Thank you for your supportive message xxx

Yes, being cold and feeling a bit anxious becuase of the environment is never a good mix. However, Sunday was much better and I brought a lovely warm scarf with me to snuggle up in.

It is interesting how we all reach for the comfort food when we feel certain forms of fear and uncertainty. I think you’re right about humans being the same in this respect. I am determined to examine my uncomfortable feelings and be present with them, instead of falling back into unconscious patterns and giving in. If I actually fancy a hamburger and chips or chocolate, or whatever, I think that’s different. I just don’t want to eat those foods with the mistaken belief that they will make me feel better or soon I will find myself stuffing down every uncomfortable feeling with food.

I was actually OK in the end.. I resisted going to the burger joint, came home, warmed up and made the Fritata which was quick and easy and exactly what I needed. I don’t eat eggs in most forms, but I do like omelette and fritata, and I think I needed that protein hit. I felt much better the next day and the craving for a hamburger and chips didn’t even enter my mind!

I will visit my health food store and see if they have proper chai tea, thanks for the suggestion!

Just to update you, the weekend turned out to be much better than I thought it would, and it was a great learning experience!

• posted by Natasha_ENFP
    on

Thanks for the advice about MFP Kat. I have started typing in foods into Google as I have no room on my iPad and iPhone to accommodate MFP.

Definitely worth investing in measuring spoons. I have 2 sets which are essesntial for me.

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi hashi
    Yes it’s great. Ten monkeys ran through the garden today at treetop level. Amazing!
    Penny

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Matrika
    I’m in UK. Well right now india!
    As long as you have something that works…I like the beeping idea.
    Penny ☺️

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Penny sounds like paradise. Back here in Blighty my son got the keys for his double allotment and OMG the front fence had been pulled down and the pile of rubbish extended back to about 20 feet and 4 feet deep! I couldn’t believe my eyes. All that to deal with before we even start work on the neglected allotment! There is a native hedge along one side – mostly blackthorn, hawthorn and elder. The council have topped it and kept the lane side part trimmed but inside the allotment it has outgrowth about 10 feet long!!! I’m ordering some other native plants such as wild cherry plum, crab apple, hazel and wild crab apple. It will be good for foraging and the wildlife! My back, arms and shoulder hurt from all the hard work yesterday but at least it is good, healthy exercise!
    πŸ™‚

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Hashimoto
    I flagged this while on goa and just found it again.
    Probably you ve cleared a lot it by now- I’d love to get my secateurs and loppers on that hedge!
    Sounds like it’s going to be lovely eventually. But how was it allowed to get in such a mess! Maybe there’s not a big call for allotments there! Here in London you can’t even get on the list! I m on the committee for hackney allotments and we have to be strict ( tho it’s not easy) because the demand is so high. It’s really use it or lose it!
    Anyway, by now the two of you will have bulging muscles at least!
    Good luck with it.
    Penny
    PS thinking- I should give up growing spuds!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Penny, it’s in quite a rough area and apparently the previous occupants started then gave up. It looks like the bloke in the next door allotment keeps sabotaging people – so my son has been told by some of the old timers. My son put up a temporary fence because he is waiting for the rubbish dump to be moved and when he returned this bloke had pulled down his fence and fed huge hose pipes right over my son’s allotment. He is suspected of being the main dumping culprit and it’s not in his best interest that anyone is on that allotment. The council are handing over the management to the allotment holders – could get better, could get a lot worse!
    The hedge is sorted and a the burnable rubbish has mostly been burned. The council said there was so much rubbish dumped on the land that they would only remove the non burnable and everything has to black bagged. How do you black bag a 3 seater sofa? Broken TV’s, etc etc πŸ™

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Hashimoto
    Well if you get a good committee he can be stopped even if it means chucking him off. What a horrible person!
    My experience – I have 2 allotments, one run by allotment holders and one by the parish council- the council is pretty awful and doesn’t know what it’s doing, whereas the committee of allotment holders is really good , keeps things in order really well. We have regular inspections and people are chased up about neglect, over running into others plots, Rubbish , border disputes etc. We re wrote our constitution recently – it was full of irrelevant things- so if you or your committee would like a copy of it to work from I could send it to you. It might sound quite draconian but we are swayed by arguments at times!
    The councils are just not hands on enough , often, whereas allotment committees are. Obviously you can get difficult committee members too which can be a pain.
    Good luck with it
    Penny

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Wow, Penny, tow allotments! How do you manage?

It sounds as if the committee will be better for him, they have said the council have relied on the local gravedigger to remove rubbish but he only has a small van and doesn’t remove anything when there are a lot of graves to dig! Sounds positively Dickensian doesn’t it?

I would welcome a copy of your constitution as it may be helpful for my son and the other allotment holders.

Thanks πŸ™‚

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Judith
    Re two allotments- the allotments in hackney are quarter size. So not very big! Probably you know what a full size looks like.
    The other one is down on the Sussex coast. It’s half size- so together they don’t make one standard allotment – I m not there often so I grow fruit trees and bushes and a bed of spuds- ie things than can look after themselves a lot of the time. But now what am I going to do in the potato bed! Any suggestions welcome !
    Penny

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi penny, he has a double allotment – 2 full sizes with a concrete path running down the centre. I also forgot to say that a lot of topsoil has disappeared from the allotment – the bloke next door said the council had removed it but he has a suspiciously large number of deep beds, I mean really deep beds, covering his double allotment. Interestingly the soil has disappeared closest to the dividing fence, which for some reason(?) this guy had knocked down!!

Spud bed? Celeriac? Courgettes, if you don’t mind them turning into marrows in your absence lol. Borlotti beans – doesn’t matter if you get a lot of dried beans cos you can still use them. Tuscan black kale, sprouts – but you probably have al those things.

If you have youngsters in the family I would suggest pumpkins. I usually grow some for friends children. While the pumpkins are still small use a felt tip to mark the child’s name , then use a sewing needle to prick all round the letters. Wipe off the marker!! As the pumpkin grows the name will appear as a brown scar which grows with the pumpkin. Children see it as magic when a pumpkin grows with their name on it!! You can always help them carve it and keep the flesh for soup! πŸ™‚

Please log in or register to post a reply.