BUSY, BUSY WITH SANTA’S ELVES, WHILE CARING GENTLY FOR OURSELVES: 4wks to 26 Dec

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Thanks everyone for the tips and support. My horse is remaining stable for the moment. I got some lab results back today which ruled out 3 major illnesses, so good to know it isn’t any of those, but also frustrating that it is still a mystery what is making him so ill.
    Kazzee – you make an important point about the cold. Our temperatures have suddenly turned frigid again, and I think I was really needing a few more calories as a result of being out in those conditions for hours on end and also craving something warm to eat when I got home. I need to remember that I need more fat in cold weather, not more carbs. My downfall is ready meals or frozen pizza or quiche that can heat in the oven while I get warm by taking a shower. When I’m more organized I cook meals on the weekend that I can just reheat in the microwave or the oven, but that just didn’t happen this weekend. I’ve had a fridge full of ingredients this week, so not bare cupboards, but they needed to be cooked to make them appetizing.
    Esnecca – I have been eating sauerkraut at home and it has been a lifesaver for getting enough veg into my diet. I think I need to keep a jar of it at work too. Your idea of flax crackers made me laugh, because I made some healthy flax cookies for my horse (just ground flaxseed, a bit of applesauce and cinnamon, mixed with boiling water and baked in the oven) but he won’t eat them, so I ate a few of them myself today!
    The egg dishes are a great suggestion. I actually made spanakopita without any filo pastry last week (it was delicious) and I still had the ingredients, so I could have easily done the same again, but I just haven’t been thinking. I was feeling like I needed something extra when I was at work today, and instead of making a supermarket run, I opened my desk drawer, and there was the remains of a packet of chia and hemp cereal and half a jar of almond butter. I felt like a squirrel who buries nuts and then doesn’t remember that I did or where they are. I could have had this yesterday! Anyway, I cooked up the cereal with some boiling water from the kettle and added in a tablespoon of the almond butter. The cereal was a little stale so it wasn’t super delicious, but it made a passable snack that satisfied my cravings. There has also been a bit of reward thinking happening, as I’ve been feeling a bit sorry for myself having to deal with all of this, and feel like I deserve to be able to go off plan a bit. It has been good to discover that what I used to view as a reward is no longer very rewarding. I can’t really binge on carbs anymore at least; I end up feeling sick before I can eat very much.

• posted by Marsie
    on

61.7kg this morning, ie 100 gm up on yesterday. I’m not unhappy as have proven to myself that I can cope with a “set menu” lunch, and it was very enjoyable – the portions that I ate and the portions that I left on the plates 😇

Good on you s-g for writing to the nutritionist with a different and accountable viewpoint. Not enough “experts” are called out on their “pronouncements”. Wonder if you will hear back?

Hang in there, Sueonit, hang in there. Someone said, on here or another thread, that they were envisioning all the horrible, bright yellow, glistening fat around the pancreas that really needed to shift. Is that graphic enough to put you off?

Theodora, saw some mentions, when looking at the “latest forum posts” that you have a family crisis. I do hope things ease for you, and that you can keep well yourself. Hugs, even if only virtual, from down under🙅🙅💜💜Marilyn

• posted by marie123
    on

ArcticFox – I’m glad to hear your horse is stabilised. It must be so upsetting and frustrating when the cause of his illness isn’t clear. Hope he is on the mend soon and good on you for keeping going.

• posted by Andy1972
    on

Well done marie123 xxx

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Andy
    Thanks. I read your post about the cloud bread. It’s on my list of things to check out. How are you going?
    Marie x

• posted by Ancient Weaver
    on

Omg! I’ve nearly done it! Just a smidge over 11stone this morning, that’s almost the whole 5lbs gone in just one day! :O Just shows what a good rap on the knuckles can do!
    I have today’s food already sorted, the exact same as yesterday’s, so it will be interesting to see if I lose another 5lbs.

Also interesting, at least for me, is that I feel as bright as a button this morning, despite being seriously below my usual protein intake, by forgetting to have a tin of tuna (that would have taken me over 800c actually). It pretty much has to be due to managing a complete fast, no nibbling, for over 18 hours. I’m slightly worried that it might be muscle loss making up the difference, but it was a mostly inactive day so no great need for more protein, apart form a couple of rockandroll sessions that got me out of puff. Hopefully that was enough to prevent any muscle wastage.

Onwards and downwards!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi everyone, oh Ancientweaver you are so close. I am exactly the same so 11st 13 and 3/4 lbs but still less than when I last saw my doctor and got a telling off because I had gained weight, it will be nice for him to see a loss again – my appointment is on Wednesday with blood tests on Monday morning. Gives me motivation to get through the weekend alcohol free because that is where my naughty calories are. Hoping for a little bit more off by then.

• posted by Busybee
    on

I don’t usually post mid week, but just had to say I have had the best 71 st birthday present this morning – I have lost another couple of pounds which had taken me into the 13 st’s, the first since I was on L………..life diet 13 years ago. I actually danced around the bedroom with delight!
    X B

on

Not close enough unfortunately. It turns out that my scales have found a new sticky point. I should have known it was too good to be true, as every time I jiggled they came back to exactly the same point . . . They now show 11,3 and this time my electric scales agree, so that’s 2lb down in one day. Still pretty good, and worth repeating! Clearly time I put the new scales in the bathroom, and the old ones OUT.

For going alcohol free, would pretending to be the ‘nominated driver’ and having things like tonic water and lime, or non-alcoholic mulled wine be any use? Perhaps simply measuring and logging calories is the better way to go though, like I had to do with cheese, and will have to try with cream next time there is any in the house.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Happy Birthday, Busybee! What a wonderful surprise, especially if you weren’t expecting
    it 🙂 I’ve just turned 69, and I haven’t felt this good in 25 years. Keep on dancing! I
    routinely turn up the music and jig around the kitchen while I’m preparing dinner and
    usually throw in a few sets of squats and push-ups off the countertops for good
    measure. It’s a miracle to have this much energy, isn’t it? How much weight have
    you lost in total, if you don’t mind the question? Soon you’ll be joining us on the
    fashion thread!
    Congratulations on getting down into the net stone!

Allie

on

Oops, cross posted with Busybee.
    Congrats on reaching the next stone, and many happy returns of the day!
    Don’t let on, I don’t really *do* birthdays, but it’s my birthday too! ;D

• posted by alliecat
    on

Maybe you start “doing birthdays”, Ancientweaver! A very Happy Birthday to you, too 🙂

• posted by marie123
    on

Busybee – What a great birthday present – happy birthday! I’ve been trying to work out what the L………..life diet was. Don’t tell me, but if you can give me a couple more letters like in the old Hangman game, I’ll keep guessing.

Ancient Weaver – HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Marie

• posted by Busybee
    on

Happy birthday to you too Ancient Weaver and I hope you are having a good one.
    Alliecat, I have lost 3 stone 2.3/4 pounds since 10th October 2016 – many highs and lows on the way and very slow compared to most, and a sudden 10 pounds over the last few weeks. I still have at least another two stones to lose and I will take that when we get back from our Christmas/ new year break.
    Keeping on……………..
    X B

• posted by alliecat
    on

Thank you, Busybee! I’m still playing catch up trying to get to know all the posters
    here…We all get so busy on the lead up to the holidays, so if I don’t see you before
    your departure, have a truly blessed holiday with your family on this side of the pond.
    Restaurant portion sizes in this country are shocking, so “Buyer Beware!) 🙂 🙂 🙂

Allie

• posted by marie123
    on

Allie – what a good idea. While I was at work today (still do a day a week) I was just thinking I need to find somewhere at home to do push-ups like we do at the exercise classes where we use the bar. Of course, the kitchen!
    Marie x

• posted by alliecat
    on

Have fun with it, Marie. You may raise a few eyebrows at first, I certainly did, but my
    spouse of 4+ decades has learned to expect the unexpected from me anyway. Nothing
    much surprises him any longer. It’s nice to have the countertop available if I do one
    too many of any maneuver, and need something to grab onto! We have to prepare
    dinner anyway, and my cd player is always at the ready, so why not? It certainly takes
    the tedium out of strength training for me since I’m essentially doing 2-3 things at once!

Be sure to report back if it works for you 🙂

Allie

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

On the exercise front I quite liked some of MM’s ideas from one of the ‘Trust me…’ shows I think. Hoover lunges, teeth cleaning squats and knee bends in the shower may look a bit odd but they do make the simple things more fun.

• posted by blah
    on

Hi guys. Popping into this thread to harness the camaraderie. I started yesterday. Had a complete fail in terms of sticking to the rules (work morning tea was a temptress, and then I just gave up for the day). Still counting it as day 1, because otherwise the temptation to restart every time is too great.

My story: Mid- 30s. T2 Diabetic (21 years and counting) and have had terrible control. PCOS. Looking to drop 20 – 25 kilos over 12 weeks on BSD.

Hoping to get control over BSLs and PCOS more than anything else. Let’s see what comes of it at the end of the process.

My menu (for weeks 1 – 4):

Breakfast:
    Savoury porridge, made up of 1/3 cup rolled oats, 1/3 cup rasam (spicy tomato consomme), and 3/4 cup kootu (vegie & lentil stew). (183 calories)

Lunch: 2 cups of cauliflower, spinach and tuna fried rice with raita (176 cals), cup of tea wit dash of milk (7 cals)

4:30 pm meal: 1/4 cup rolled oats, 3/4 cup kootu (vegie & lentil soup), 2 tbsps greek yoghurt (181 cals)

Dinner: 1.5 cups cauliflower, tomato & tuna fried rice with raita (145 cals) tea with a dash of milk ( 7 cals)

If anyone wants any of the recipes for the above, let me know and I can share.

I’m taking a batch cooking approach, which for instance, means I can sautee things in 1/2 tbsp oil without it ramping up the overall calorie intake.

For accountability’s sake:
    Current:
    Weight: 79.1 kg
    Waist circumference: 103cm
    Height: 160 cm
    BMI: 30.9
    Pulse: 104bpm (82bpm resting heart rate)
    Fasting BSL: 15.9

Target:
    8 weeks: (2/2/2018)
    Weight: 64 kg
    Waist circumference: 80-85 cm
    BMI: 25
    Pulse: 70-75 BPM (resting)
    Fasting BSL: 4.0 – 5.1
    Range: <7.8 post meal

12 weeks: (2/3/2018)
    Weight: 56 kg
    Waist circumference: 69 cm
    BMI: 21
    Pulse: 67-70 bpm
    Fasting BSL: 4 – 5.1
    Range: <7.8 post meal
    HBA1c: <6.1

• posted by Esnecca
    on

That’s a pretty high carb menu, blah. Two meals with oats as the anchor, plus lentils, tomatoes, milk and 3.5 cups of cauli. (Is the rice cauliflower rice? I couldn’t tell from the phrasing if it was cauli added to actual rice or cauli instead of rice. If it’s rice rice that needs to go lickety-split.) The least carby thing on that list is the cauliflower and there are 9 grams of carbs, six of them from sugar, in 3.5 cups. A serving is 1/2 cup. Rolled oats are not good at all, I’m afraid. If you must eat oats (and I recommend you ditch them altogether in favor of eggs or yogurt or smoked fish or nothing at all), they should be steel-cut. Rolled oats have been steamed and flattened, losing much of their fiber and hitting the blood stream as sugar far more quickly than steel-cut oats which are the whole groat intact and unprocessed.

You count calories, I see, but do you count carbs? I think this may be part of the reason you’ve hard such a hard time with blood sugar management over the decades. I have PCOS as well and am insulin resistant. In order to lose the weight I needed to lose, which granted was an enormous amount (200 lb+), I had to get draconian and drop my daily carb maximum to no more 20 grams. That means cutting out all grains, cereals, sugars, pulses, root vegetables, the higher carb non-root vegetables and most legumes.

This is a tough, tough syndrome that clings on for dear life. You have to become a bit of a monster yourself to pry its sharp claws off your back, and the focus of that, in my experience at least, has to be carbs much more than calories. In addition to blocking weight loss, carbs also make you hungry for more of them, which only makes it more likely that you’ll give up before you’ve started.

You can do it. I did it and it revolutionized my life. Go hardcore, PCOS sister!

• posted by blah
    on

Thanks for the heads up Esnecca. Will look to see what I replace the oats with at breakfast. Have gone with green beans for mid-afternoon snack.

• posted by Marsie
    on

61.7kg again, same as yesterday.

That’s OK, means I’d held the line yesterday but also means greater care needed today in advance of the weekend. Having an overnighter with friends in their house on the canals in Mandurah, just south of Perth, dinner on their balcony (will be able to manage my choices there) then a tootle around the canals in their little wooden boat to wonder at the Christmas lights. So many people have gone to so much trouble. Special thrill having 9yo grandson also invited. I just know how much he will love the lights show.

Restaurant lunch on Sunday with others who couldn’t be with us at Saturday dinner.

Busy, busy, caring gently, everyone ….. one day at a time …..

• posted by Mokovex
    on

Morning all

today -1lb from last posting on Wednesday and 0.5 up from my lightest.

I wrote a reasonably long post yesterday, and it seems not to have posted? Mmmm???

Anyway, writing it was helpful as I was reflecting that I am due to have a health MOT at my gym. They look at fasting blood sugars, cholesterol, hip-waist ratio etc.

I last went in Feb of this year and the numbers weren’t great. My cholesterol in particular was 7. I, of course, left with all good intentions to change but the situation just worsened. I have been conscious recently of a reluctance to go and get it done, and so was speculating that perhaps I am worried that I will be disappointed by the results. Nervous about another high cholesterol reading derailing my current efforts. In yesterday’s post, I think I got this out there and pledged to give the gym a call and book the appointment. Anyway, I did, going next Wednesday and actually the result of all of that is that the anxiety has totally disappeared and it feels like a non-event. Will see if I feel the same next week 😛

Busy bee – was totally thrilled for you reading your post. Can imagine how marvellous that feeling is to get back into this stone bracket. Well done to you and hope your motivation continues into the new year.

Blah – hope you are finding tasty things to eat which don’t rock your carb intake. Esnecca is well worth listening to, goldmine of advice.

x

• posted by Marsie
    on

Happy, happy birthday, Busybee, what a wonderful way to celebrate it. I can just feel how thrilled you are at seeing a new low. As usual for us, koko,odaat. 🙆👏🎉

Happy birthday also to Ancient Weaver, and a pretty good 1 day loss despite the misadventures with your scales👏👀

• posted by Sandy47
    on

Happy birthday Busybee and Ancientweaver and welcome to newcomers. There’s some fantastic advice from long term BSDers on here. Had a really ‘hungry’ day yesterday and went a bid overboard on cheese and nuts. When I say ‘overboard’ I’m chuckling to myself at how this wouldn’t have even registered with me during my old way of eating. What’s working for me is not eating until lunch and then just having 2 meals and no snacks. This may not work for diabetics as I assume it could be quite dangerous? As I am pre-diabetic, I’m finding it ok. Did struggle yesterday, but stayed away from carbs and snacked a little. All I’d had was miso soup for lunch and some chicken curry and cauliflower for dinner, so felt ok to snack. Happy to report loss of 2lb so far this week, so down to 11st 2. Another step closer to the 10s and a loss of 19 lbs in total (including pre-BSD loss). I’ve noticed that I’m eating a lot less now than before and am really mindful about what I eat, feels so good to be in control after years of struggling with my weight. I’m not keeping strict count of calories yet, and I know I’ll have to further down the line, but avoiding carbs seems to be doing the trick. Love reading all your posts x

• posted by VictoriaM
    on

HI everyone, I do love this forum and all the advice – thanks to everyone. I have no weight loss to report again, but don’t feel disheartened because I only need to look in the mirror to see that it’s working, my waist has gone down an inch and I can now do my bra up one notch tighter!

I’ve been pleases with my behaviour this week, Tuesday I went to London which used to be an excuse to stop and the station and buy a flapjack and a bar of chocolate to eat on the train. I was on the train before I realised I’d walked straight past without thinking about it at all. On the way back I didn’t want to buy, but I did notice at Clapham Junction just how many fast food outlets there were with huge displays of carbs, buns, pastry, sweets etc

Yesterday I learnt a valuable lesson. It was a pub lunch with an elderly friend who I treat at Christmas. I had to have a starter, because otherwise she wouldn’t have one and had garlic mushrooms without the bread which was fine. I then had a small ham and egg without the chips and with salad instead – BUT forgot to say no dressing. It was drenched in honey dressing and I took one mouthful and couldn’t eat any more it was so sweet. I can’t believe my taste buds have changed that quickly!! two weeks in.

This afternoon I’m out for tea with friends – but I’ve prepped for this in advance by telling them I won’t eat anything – just have a cup of tea.

I fell as if I’m making progress – sorry to splurge so much info, but I’m at a point (2 weeks in) where I have tended to give up things in the past so I am really keen to keep up my momentum and writing it down in public seems to help me. Thanks for listening

• posted by marie123
    on

Mixnmatch – thanks, I’ve just looked up the Trust Me Doctor info – also apparently vacuuming and mopping count as moderate intensity exercise. Maybe that will be something positive I can bear in mind as I get the house ready for Christmas!

Blah – nice to see you on this challenge – looking forward to reading your posts

Marsie – gosh, I wish I could come with you – enjoy the weekend

Mokovex – it’s funny isn’t it, I always find things better too, when you take action – hope all goes well with the Health MOT next week. My cholesterol is also higher – 6.1 – only found out in August when they told me I had diabetes – so I’m also wondering what it’s like now. Fingers crossed for you.

So, I experienced a touch of synchronicity this week. Having been feeling a bit blue on Tuesday being reminded of all the angst and hard slog I’d put into my job over the years, on Wednesday morning I came across a sketch – a comic caricature – a guy at work had done of me which I’d completely forgotten about and did make me laugh, and then in the afternoon I got an email from an old colleague who I’d lost contact with – it was lovely. So, back on an even keel now.

We went to a Christmas ‘do’ last night, I had 1 white wine spritzer, ignored the buffet and met a lovely father and son who were really good company. Success!!!

Hope everyone has a good BSD weekend.

• posted by blah
    on

Had another blow out today. Boo!

Quick qn – when you spoke of 20gms, net or total?

In good news, have tweaked my food plan to bring me to 46gms of carbs per day (initial was at 74gms). This refers to total

Menu:
    Tea with dash of milk

Breakfast (10:30 am)
    3/4 cup lentil and veggie stew, 3 tbps raita, Indian style omelet with chilli and coriander

Lunch (1:30/2pm):
    1 cup cauliflower, spinach and tuna fried ‘rice’, 100gms raw broccoli (steamed), 1 tbsp yoghurt, tea with a dash of milk (rice refers to cauliflower rice)

Afternoon tea 1/2 serve pan fried salmon (75gms)

Dinner:
    3/4 cup cauliflower fried ‘rice’ with tomato, onion and tuna, 1/3 cup chick peas, 1/2 serve of omelet from breakfast, 3 tbsp raita.

Question: I have my work Christmas party next Friday. It’s at a Chinese restaurant. It will be a banquet. I’m considering asking if they could do a plate of steamed green veggies with soy sauce and no oil instead. Do you think that’s a good option?

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Sandy47 and VictoriaM

Cross-posted so I missed you both.

Sandy47 – I agree – it is great to feel back in control of our eating – congratulations on the 2lb so far this week – and 19lb total to date is a great weight loss – it won’t be long before you’ll be seeing a figure beginning with a 10 on those scales – maybe before Christmas or if not, what a great way to start 2018.

VictoriaM – they’re some good lessons so well done that woman! Please keep writing as much as you want. It helps the rest of us – well definitely me – to learn (or be reminded of) how to keep to this way of eating.

Marie x

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Maire and VictoriaM: well done….congrats on powering through all the holiday hazards. Resisting like that is like exercising a muscle…it get stronger each time you do it, don’t you think?

blah: hang in there. You will find a pattern and food list that suits you and yeilds results. Re the steamed veg platter….I find having oil or butter on my veg satiates me and keeps me from eating bad stuff. I factor it into my calorie count and it has been working for me. No oil may well work for you. You will figure it out.

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

A belated Happy Birthday to BusyBee and AncientWeaver……..GREAT birthday present BusyBee. Lowest in 13 years is quite an accomplishment. More valuable than gold or pearls.

• posted by VictoriaM
    on

Thanks Marie and luvtcook.

I am focussing on the successes and hoping very hard that this time is like the time I finally gave up smoking (in 1983). I had tried to give up so many times before but one time it just stuck. I wish I could bottle why it worked that time, I’d be worth a fortune!

I’m obsessing on this being the time that the same thing happens for eating. It’s harder because I can’t totally give up eating , but because I AM totally giving up sugar, starchy veg, grains etc that does help me, as it is a rigid rule, not a “just cut down” attempt.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi, Everyone! It’s wonderful to see so many newcomers here, I can barely keep up!
    Victoria, your off to a great start, just keep with it. This WILL work for you, I
    promise 🙂 I really like your take no prisoners approach. I’ve lost 146lbs, and kept
    it off for over 6 months. I feel as though I can do it forever, and so can you 🙂 🙂 🙂
    Congratulations on giving up the nicotine, too. I’m still working on that one!

Marie, perhaps thinking of vacuuming as exercise will improve my attitude toward
    housekeeping? Let’s just say it’s low on my list of priorities! However, it’s been
    suggested to me recently that the carpet in the vicinity of my computer has begun
    to look like “the bottom of a birdcage”, so I’m going to try to address that today!!!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi everyone, so many new people – I read all your posts because it is tagged to my emails but cant always answer them. B;ah, I think you mean cauliflower rice when you say fried rice, lets hope so. Also lentils are quite high in carbs but as long as you are within your 800 calories and not having high carb foods often then you should be okay. I never counted carbs in the first 8 weeks as keeping to 800 calories was enough for me to concentrate. But I never ate a starchy carb (rice etc) or anything high on the carb scale except chickpeas. You will find what suits you and what works for you.

Nice weigh in this morning 100g loss, but when you convert that into lbs it is about a quarter of a quarter – so no real loss on the stones and pounds calculation but long may it continue. Did 50 mins of aerobics this morning and having a good day with yog and passionfruit for breakfast, ploughmans for lunch and hubby is making the goulash from the book for dinner, only we have it with pork instead of beef – quicker to cook and cheaper.

The weekend fast approaches and hoping for a well motivated one. Keep on keeping on….

• posted by Esnecca
    on

My daily limit is 20 grams net carbs, blah. In the US you subtract out the fiber because the labels count it as carbs even though it passes through you and does not hit the blood stream. On UK labels it’s a separate category from the carbs so you don’t subtract it. I try to aim for 20 grams fiber a day.

• posted by JackieM
    on

Up and down scales by 1 kg this week. On way back down nowProbably eating the double cream with a spoon didn’t help 😂 . Stopped that now, drowned it in hot water so I couldn’t eat it when bored.

Have mild chest infection – so tired! Reminds me of pre-diagnosis of insulin resistance, which in turn reminds me why I am not going to eat all the pies.

Breakfast/lunch at 12.45 – fried spinach/left over cauliflower/courgette/mushrooms with bit of cheese grated over and fried until melted. And a few spoons of home made mackerel pate (mash mackerel, creme fraiche, cream cheese and lemon juice together).

2 slices beef with cream cheese as a snack with cafe creme, dinner bit of goulash avoiding the root veg where obvious, 3 bits of 90% chocolate. Think I’m done now 😁

Ok, writing that down I see I am a bit dairy heavy, so will adjust that tomorrow and up the veg, have avocado instead.

Night all xx

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Just catching up on all of the posts! For some reason I’m no longer getting emails when a new post is added, although I am still subscribed.
    I haven’t posted my week 1 loss yet, it was wait for it (drum rolls)… 100g or 0.22lb! Better than nothing I guess but disappointing as I’d had no wine at all for a week (usually have a few glasses a week). Maybe I’ll have a better loss in week 2.
    Glad your horse is better Arcticfox. I had a realisation this week, was feeling unwell on Wednesday and had a really stressful situation at work (since resolved, but stressful at the time). I made myself a cup of tea and had a couple of biscuits. Now since starting BSD I NEVER eat biscuits, I wasn’t even hungry, and any other workday they are there in front of me but I barely notice them, am so used to not eating. But this day I reached for a couple without even thinking. And so it made me think that maybe it’s an automatic response from the brain.. so in times past when I’ve reached for chocolate, biscuits or cake when stressed/I’ll, my brain then accepts that as truth and it then in turn becomes an automatic response? I was so busy thinking about the situation, I wasn’t thinking about food, whereas normally (since starting BSD) I’m really aware of what I’m eating. Yes I do eat off plan foods now and then, but it’s usually a conscious decision to do so.
    What reinforced the whole auto response thing too was the next day I went to put my ironing board away, and headed to the spot where I used to hang it – even though my husband installed a rack to hang it from in a different place about 2 years ago! For that moment I went to put it back into the “old” place. Not that ironing boards have much to do with eating! But i guess its like the saying “old habits die hard”!
    Anyway I’m going to focus on mindful eating this week, and be more aware of “auto responses”.
    Have a good weekend everyone!

• posted by Milalin
    on

SueBlue I like the point you make about “old habits” . I was thinking along similar lines yesterday regarding snacking in general. I had a few cashews and then went back for more a couple of times. At least I did eventually stop with 3/4 of the bag remaining! And every time I eat cashews I hear my diabetes dr who Year’s ago told me I could have them but that 12 cashews were equivalent to one meal… still I did it. Now day 12 and my first ‘slip up’ followed by 2 x small pieces of brownie after dinner. The house smelt of it and it was a recipe from the book and my daughter was excited I try it … again though I went for seconds . So definitely blew the 800 by a mile! My weight was 102.8 yesterday and today 103.2! Enough said… back onto it today. Late brunch planned!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi SueBlue, I SHOULD be in engaging in dinner preparation this side of the pond, but
    I really needed to pop onto this thread and thank you for all the insight provided in
    your post. I think you made the point with great clarity as to why some of us who have
    lost extreme amounts of weight and have been maintaining the loss for months, continue
    to participate on this forum! We know how to do the BSD backwards and forwards,
    but we want to remain ever mindful of what we do day to day. I feared maintenance
    failure far more than I did weight loss failure. Thanks to the support and insight of
    people such as yourself, I’m 7 months into maintenance after losing 146lbs. Thank
    you so much for your post today! 🙂

Allie

• posted by blah
    on

Did it! Day 1 without blowouts! 677 cals, 48gms carbs (32 net).

Weight this morning: 77.6kgs

Thanks for the encouragement.

The ham roll idea on one of the other threads was spectacular! 1 lettuce leaf filled with 3 slices ham (the super thin slices), 1/2 tbsp cream cheese, a couple of capers and 3 grape tomatoes. Was the perfect snack for 3pmish.

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Thanks for your comments Allie 🙂 I wish I could say I have lost an extreme amount of weight but despite being on BSD since Jan I’ve only lost 12kg (20 something lb).
    I’m glad though that my meanderings struck a chord with you – for me it was one of those ‘lightbulb’ moments – I’ve never thought of myself as a comfort eater as such. But looking back, I started t realise how much emotions are connected with food – when I was ill as a child my mum would often buy me chocolate or a cake “to cheer me up”, my dad would come home on payday with sweets for us “because we’d been good”, we never had desserts as a rule except on special occasions like birthdays, Christmas, Easter etc – so it’s no wonder we see chocolate, cakes, biscuits etc as rewards or treat foods!
    As I mentioned I’m certainly no saint – every week I go off plan at some point, whether it’s a glass of wine or a slice of pizza, but it’s almost always a conscious decision – whereas what happened this week was totally different. I’m certainly learning something all the time on this WOE!

• posted by JulesP
    on

Delighted to see I’ve lost 4lbs since Monday and am now a pound below my lowest weight on bsd last year so new territory, 2 more pounds and will be in next stone range and hit one of my goals for this challenge. Now happily back on it with a vengeance, and feeling fabulous again. Yesterday I bought two pairs of trousers and a skirt which I can’t get above my thighs – these are my new motivation clothes as I’m almost into my current ones. I’m only buying from Charity shops whilst losing as hopefully nothing will fit for long – luckily my town has some lovely ones with very good quality clothes. I also bought some other lovely clothes which fit now so new wardrobe for Christmas for next to nothing – god I love BSD! Jx

• posted by VictoriaM
    on

Good morning, I’m happy this morning, finally 1lb this week! Not the 3 of my target, but still an average I’ve 4lb per week over the first two weeks of the Bsd. Hopefully that is the transition from water loss to fat loss. 1st 10 lbs to go. My final target is 12st (I’m 5ft 11in).

I agreed with the whole thread of habit and auto response. I still find myself looking for something for “pudding”. I know I am not hungry, I won’t have anything sweet but having 2 courses is obviously buried deep in my psyche. I sometimes fight it and sometimes have a couple of nuts, but I do need to get over it.

Like you JulesP I buy a lot from charity shops at the moment, or cheap clothes. It goes a bit against the grain because I prefer to buy things that will last and keep clothes on average for 8 years, but hopefully soon!

• posted by Mokovex
    on

Morning all,

Today +0.4lb.
    Yesterday I got so cold and soooo hungry at work that I only went and bought a flapjack, came home and had 2 portions of my (BSD) supper and a couple of beers. Am not treating this as a failure as that negativity just feeds more self sabotage but as an ‘ironing board moment’. Thanks Sueblue, your post was spot on and very timely, that image of your ironing board representing automatic behaviours is what I am carrying into the weekend.

JulesP- well done on the loss and moving into the uncharted territory of your new weight. That feeling of smaller clothes slowly getting closer to fitting is great isn’t it? Here’s to the day they make it up to the hips 😀

JackieM- hope you are feeling better and are being kind to yourself x

VictoriaM – I totally get the obsession around whether this is the time it will stick! I guess a huge factor is time and confidence in this WOE. Confidence that this is a truly healthy way to treat and care for our bodies and then allowing time to be the thing that embeds our neurological re-wiring and the recovery of our metabolic health.

When my kids are struggling with a new skill I am always banging on about it being like walking in a seriously overgrown garden where the grass is over their heads. As they start, they have to hack their way through (effort) to begin to forge a discernible path. If they continue to walk the same path daily then over time that path becomes easy to navigate and the effort is reduced. This is how I like to think of the neural networking in my brain and how over time, these new habits will become the easiest automatic paths to take. I can say it to the kids but it is much harder to say it to myself 😏

Today is another day to practice this skill of self care.

X

• posted by marie123
    on

It’s always so helpful reading these posts

SueBlue – all those childhood happenings certainly struck a chord with me, too. I can certainly identify as a comfort eater, but I’d never really thought of how certain foods can relate so profoundly to people or places until I tried to give up my cups of tea with milk a few weeks ago. I experienced really strong emotions which I eventually realised was because drinking tea together was something my mum and I used to do – and I felt like I’d be betraying that somehow by doing something different. Anyway, Nonnie, Allie and Kazz helped me get past that one! Now, every time I start to feel some emotions around a food I know I need to look at what’s really going on.

VictoriaM – it’s nice to hear your happy today – nice weight loss. What you say about ‘pudding’ is just where I’m at right now. I feel like I’m eating so much less and my dinner seems to be over so quickly that I started having some Fage yoghurt after my dinner every night. Recently, I’ve started having a couple of trips back to have some more. It might be my body is craving more fats – need to maybe incorporate more in my main meals – but it definitely feels like I’m losing a little bit of control – it’s in danger of becoming a secret eating type thing – so I’m definitely going to knock it on the head.

JulesP – congratulations – I bet that’s a fabulous feeling being right back on track – and at your lowest BSD weight. Getting into the next stone down will be a great way to start 2018 – here’s hoping for Christmas!.

I’m enjoying the clothes thing, too. A couple of weeks ago I pulled out a whole load of favourite clothes, including some pretty new, that I hadn’t worn because they were too small. Now, I’ve lost so much weight I’ll soon be out of them! But, it’s great – and I’m wearing clothes I like rather than just clothes that I bought because they fit.

Mokovex – that description of the overgrown garden/neural pathways is so helpful to me – I’ve just hit my weight loss target for this challenge (which I’ll report in on Tuesday), but one of my other challenges for this month is to try to embed all the good BSD habits into my daily routine – no snacking, leaving 4/5 hours between meals and particularly drinking more water! I’m going to walk that path of yours daily for the rest of the challenge.

Blah – last but not least – a day without blowouts is a real achievement – well done!

Marie x

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

VictoriaM: might this work for you?

When I am yearning for something at the end of a meal, these are two yogurt fixes that work for me. I especially like them as the end to a light soup and salad meal.

1. 1/2 cup of Greek full fat yogurt (I like mine semi sweetened with about 4 drops of liquid Stevia), mixed with 1/2 tsp of matcha green tea powder (pricy but goes a long way) topped with 1 tsp of sliced almonds. This is a really yummy way to use matcha powder.

2. Take a bag of frozen raspberries. Dump into a glass jar and let thaw overnight in the fridge or on the counter if in a hurry (or defrost gently in microwave if in a BIG hurry).

I do 1/2 cup of semi sweetened Greek yogurt topped with 2 Tbs of the thawed and juicy raspberried, again topped with 2 Tbs of sliced almonds.

If you like your raspberry “compote” thicker, you can add 1-2 Tbs of chia seeds. I like it fine the way it is but the chia is really good for you. You can sweeten a bit with a few drops of stevia, but I like mine tart.

I also serve my yogurt concoctions in a piece of fancy stemware (martini glass my favorite, wine glass also works) so it looks fancy and convinces me that I am eating something special and elegant….because it IS. And its good for your gut. The carbs are higher than some items on BSD but I have read a lots of opinions that the true carb count is lower than that published because the act of fermentation to make yogurt cosumes a lot of the lactose in the milk it is made with. I can live with it either way and just count it into my total for the day.

• posted by VictoriaM
    on

Wow luvtcook, you are full of good ideas, they sound great. I think they’ll stretch my 800 limit at the moment but once I’ve done the 8 weeks and move onto slower loss I’ll definitely use them. I have chia seeds and before 800/20 sprinkled them on my salad at lunch time. putting them in the yoghurt sounds great.

You mention liquid stevia, I’ve got some dried leaves that I brought back from South Africa, I usually used it to make a liquid and then sweeten things like black currants (before 800/20 obviously). Is it sensible to use this – the problem is that it is not very consistent consistency wise – or would you recommend pre -processed liquid stevia?

• posted by Onetowatch
    on

Hi everyone!

I’ve been off line for a bit but back now and enjoying all your catch ups! I am three kilos up from end of 8 weeks I didnup to September. I would like to get back to 72.5g by the 26th.

We are back out to Italy this week – to move into the house we bought while on the last challenge! Sadly our round of ivf was a disaster so it is a bit of recovery time for me as well.

Look forward to supporting each other. I need to post daily to help my accountability – mix and sunshine and topcac I feel your pain!

Today was not brilliant but starting by being honest.

I had veg curry and rice, lamb with greeens and salad and a big handful of crisps….

Tomorrow we have a meal out with friends. So o plan to save my calls and just have some greens and salad and cottage cheese in the daytime and a piece of tandoori chicken with salad and veg in the eve.

My goal for this month is also to get the carbs back down to straight periods of 50g or less a day as they have crept back in.

• posted by JackieM
    on

Hey one2wTch good to see you back. So sorry about the IVF.

This is a good place to be to get you rocking and rolling again – I remember your iron will from August so am sure you will get where you want to be.

Keep on posting, love to hear how you are getting on xx

• posted by blah
    on

Weight: 77.6kg
    Exercise yesterday: 15000 steps. 3 sets of 10 push ups, 15-20 sec plank, 10 squats, 10 bridges. Dance practice (nothing particularly aerobic, but about 10 – 15 mins)

Today, I’ve got to get through a lot of work, but planning to make time for a run, a walk and some dance practice.

Please log in or register to post a reply.