BUSY, BUSY WITH SANTA’S ELVES, WHILE CARING GENTLY FOR OURSELVES: 4wks to 26 Dec

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Kush
    on

Flick – it’s inspiring to see your results, well done and thanks for sharing. Particularly great result on the BMI, wow! Isn’t it cool seeing it go down like that? What you explained about stalling was of particular interest…isn’t it funny how our bodies have their own little patterns like that? Good on you for scheduling a self-care pedicure, a lovely treat to yourself, hope you enjoyed.

Verano – I imagine your guests were secretly impressed by your choice of olives rather than crisps in the social situation. Maybe you inspired them to look at their own habits differently too, who knows? In situations like that it can really be something as simple as people needing to see someone else taking the lead first and making healthier choices as it can provide ‘role models’ or give the permission that others have been waiting for to follow suit. I like your commitment skills there, because social situations can be so tricky. And as for the luminous yellow fat thing, if you’ve got a strong stomach then perhaps you may be interested to watch some YouTube vids on surgery or even an autopsy?…of course I absolutely appreciate this isn’t to everyone’s taste and may be seen as a bit grim…but it really can be a lightning bolt of realisation on what fat really does to our insides (it was for me, anyway!). If you’re a visual person like I am then this can be super effective!

KrysiaD – your rewards sound truly lovely. Like you say, living without worry is a reward all of its own so hooray for your progress. Dodging injections of lucentis, woop woop! I’ve been experimenting with some neuro-linguistic programming techniques recently, to get my brain ‘anchors’ set up so that (let’s say) I do really well at something, my reward is to try a new fruit or veg I’ve never had before, or I allow myself to go to a freestyle dance class and have a wiggle and boing about. Usually these classes cost £8 so are a bit pricey, but if I’ve worked hard then I’m allowed to go and bust some shapes in celebration. Making health, movement and fun the rewards has really worked for me. I like your thing about having a browse around the shops without the Husband…you can really focus on getting stuck in that way and have time for you :)

Esnecca – I really enjoyed the wisdom in your post, and you are so right when you point out that ‘you need a little joy in your life” is a unskillful and ill-considered thing to say to someone over their food choices. Surely FAR more joy comes from having a light, energy-packed, health-radiating body and mind, which performs beautifully and efficiently. I really hope the people who say that to you eventually have the realisations to overcome this old way of thinking and begin to gain the health benefits for themselves, too, as well as being able to encourage others more positively. You’re so right about the danger of clichés.

Jackie M – such great news on your new personal low of 60.9kg, you must be thrilled 🙂

Mariet – you have hit the nail on the head as far as I’m concerned regarding body shape changing despite the scales not showing much loss. Does it feel nice having lost your midriff and padding? Do you keep patting it and smiling? Hope so. I’m in a similar situation to you. Every day this week I have alternated between 57.4kg and 56.6kg, back and forth, back and forth despite being super focused and staying on the regime. Despite that, my physique is changing without a doubt…my Latimuss Dorsi are getting smaller when I pinch them, as is my bum. Plus my beloved pair or perfectly fitting black jeans are now slightly too baggy, which is a shame in one way but a grin-inducer in another. We both appear to be on the right path so let’s keep going eh?

• posted by JulesP
    on

Hi all, I’d love to join you, even though I’m a week late. I followed 5:2 then BSD for around 6 months last year and was delighted to lose 2 stone. Unfortunately, sugar and carbs crept back in and a stone crept back on. I restarted properly (after many attempted restarts) in Sept this year and was doing really well until I allowed a little sugar back in which led to a 2 week binge, why oh why do I do it to myself? Have pulled myself together again today and am determined to get back to my pre blowout state. I Iose very slowly and tend to get obsessed and weigh myself every day so was only using clothes to measure and had just managed to fasten up a lovely pair of trousers which I’d never previously been able to get over my hips. They’re now a long way from fastening, amazing how fast hard lost weight goes back on again. So, my goal is to fasten them again by Christmas day. I’d also like to lose 6lbs to take me into the next stone range. I wouldn’t normally consider this in just 3 weeks but I’m hoping a lot of water weight attached to all the carbs I’ve recently consumed might fall off once I’m back on track. I’d like to get back into eating just one meal a day most days, I felt fabulous on that – managed so far today so fingers crossed. Sorry for epic essay folks. Good luck to you all. Jules x

• posted by JulesP
    on

Meant to say my plan also includes 800cal, max 20g carbs and as much water as I can remember to drink.

• posted by Butterlover
    on

HI All.Im looking at christmas recipes and really missing the usual baking traditions. So Im cooking small cakes and biscuits to give as gifts. Also exploring panne cotta reciped as its mostly milk or cream with gelatine and a bit of fruit or berrys Im hoping to eliminate added sugar.my idea is to develop a desert recipe that is a somewhat healthy treat.Im ok to have less treats but i still want something.also challenged a friend to cook a pavlova without sugar when I go to her place.Im not too motivated at the moment so these activities Should get me in the christmas spirit. KOKO

• posted by JackieM
    on

60.7kg, down 200g. Veg based day yesterday. Mushroom/courgette and spinach and 1 egg omelette fried in butter (lashings of salt and pepper) for lunch and cauliflower with butter and cheese grated on top for tea. With roast beef as a snack, also some salmon pate and abou 3 tablespoons of cream. Plus I finished off my seed/Parmesan crackers. 100g left til I can say I lost 16kg. Yay!

• posted by Marsie
    on

Hello to all the elves’ helpers.

I’ve been offline again since my last post on Saturday morning and just look what I’ve missed! Such a wonderful discussion. Butterlover alerted me to your post, Esnecca, while we were having our weekly cuppa. Such clear sighted thinking, thank you. Thanks also to MnM for her own clear sighted variations on the theme, showing that, while we all have much in common, we also have our valid differences. Thanks, too, to all the other contributors. I’ve only had time to skim through and plan to return and properly read when time permits, hopefully tonight.

Weigh-in day, 62kg.
    My new lows didn’t last very long. Took the easy way and shared the pizzas (1xGF, 1x not) that OH and 9yo grandson ordered while we were down at the marina for summer-opening fireworks on Saturday night and on Sunday an iced chocolate drink, again at the marina, in the deadly Spanish chocolatiers for afternoon tea. Didn’t enjoy it, drank half only. Then half a bread roll with x1 bbq sausage when we allowed grandson to be the bbqer-in-chief. Did enjoy that, but felt so bloated, uncomfortable – a portent for the Monday weigh-in which showed a gain of 1 complete kilo in 2 days. Let those carbs in again, didnt I? 300 gm down this morning, which took me to 62kg, exactly the same as last week but a disappointing 700 gm higher than last Saturday. Recycling again, but am determined that I will select judiciously at the x2 Christmas lunches and x1 dinner before next Tuesday and manage the in-between meals with care.

Happy weigh-in all, looking forward to reading the results xx

• posted by Esnecca
    on

I don’t know, Butterlover. This reads a lot to me like you’re experience carb cravings and Christmas just heightens the emotional aspect of it. There are plenty of carbs in milk and “a bit” of fruit can easily add dozens of sugar grams to a serving. Baking sweet treats as gifts only works if you don’t eat any of them. Is that realistically what’s going to happen, do you think? Studies have shown that sugar addicts and people who struggle with their weight are far more susceptible to the mere scent of baked goods. The smell alone can cause an insulin reaction based on the expectation that a sugar spike is coming.

Why does “treat” only mean sweet? People eat lots of things on big feasting holidays they don’t make often. Why not go full Dickens and roast a goose? They also do a ton of activities — tree trimming, gift-giving, carolling, volunteering etc. There are a million ways to get in the Christmas spirit that do not involve endangering your progress and running the real risk of locking yourself into a vicious cycle of carb bingeing because your psyche wants to drag you into the past instead of letting you find new ways of feeling connected, warm and satisfied.

Look forward. Don’t let nostalgia keep you from taking joy in all the great things about the holidays that have zero to do with cookies. I’m pretty sure the meaning of Christmas is not dessert-based. Besides, judging from your username, you have another place to turn for a treat: the gorgeous (and carbless) options fat can provide. I made a cauli mash once with a half stick of cultured pasture-raised butter, ricotta cheese and chives. Then I melted another tablespoon of the butter on top of my serving so it made a little volcanic crater lake of yellow goodness. It was deeply satisfying, very much a treat and very festive even though I was entirely alone at home at the time.

Best of luck and happy holidays!

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Good morning my lovelies.

Just wanted to post that on my weigh in day last Saturday, I registered a 6 lb loss. I did a couple of 48 hr fasts to give myself a boost. I shall go back to “normal” this week of one delicious meal a day. Good luck to everyone else!

Kazzeexx

• posted by Mokovex
    on

Morning All,

Start: 130.7lb
    Today: 131.6lb

This is the first time I have gained on a challenge 😒 I know why and I know how.

Thank you Esnecca for your lovely comments, you are totally right about owning it making the difference to climbing out of it. I am (again) really grateful knowing that people here ‘get it’. I love that image of the spiral, you are right, it is easy to slip down it and a trek to climb up but comments like yours are hugely valuable in making that hike bearable. I am having to remember that there will be a number of battles to win before the war is done. For me, posting here, is crucial. It has become the key to keeping on.

JackieM + VictoriaM – with regard to ‘secrecy’ when we struggle. I think having a place where we can share our ‘failures/slips/struggles’ profoundly impacts our ability to keep going. I did the BSD ‘perfectly’ for the 8 weeks and have been able to post the ‘successes’ as the weight has come off. I always knew that for me, what happens next when I fell back into old habits would be key. I have committed to weighing each week day and posting it on here. That means, on days like today, when I would rather not face up to the number and the reason it is there, my new habit of posting counteracts the old habit of pretending that it will be fine. Trying to re-frame ‘success’ not as weight loss but as perseverance.

I love reading the posts of maintainers on here for that very reason.

X

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning, no loss for me this week and just a small overall gain over the two weeks I’ve been away of 0.6lb.

In fact I had lost weight yesterday but had some Indian food last night and so a gain today. I know why I’ve gained, I know it’s just water retention and I also know if will go in a day or so. But you know I really enjoyed my meal out and the only BSD unfriendly item I ate was one poppadom. Just now and again I need ‘crunch’ and I’m afraid that crunchy vegetables or similar just don’t do it for me!

Hope you all had a good week and that the coming one is good too.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Less than a pound gain after a carb spiral is not bad at all, Mokovex. It’s possible your body has a new normal now after all your work in retraining its expectations, or it could be a fluke either way. Trying to divine what makes these crazy complex biologies of ours tick is always challenging, often impossible.

That goes double for the brain, and as you rightly point out, the overwhelming majority of what we do here is mental. Finding motivation to keep on when we feel lost and weakened being one of the greatest challenges. In aid of that, please consider looking at this episode from the glass-is-half-full perspective. You broke through the veil of secrecy that keeps you from the support of likeminded people, you stopped yourself from continuing on a self-harming path, you’re committing again to sharing your goals and results in the public forum for the sake of your own accountability, and the total physical cost to you was nine tenths of a pound. That’s pretty remarkable, isn’t it? You might even say you’re kicking some ass. 🙂

Changing your mindset about these events helps you move past them, I’ve found. Being open and honest is essential, but there’s a line very easily crossed after which dwelling on what went wrong tends to paralyze us and drive us back into old cycles of self-hatred and self-medication in the form of unhealthy food and drink. So what’s done is done. It’s already proven salutary and sane because it has inspired you to confront some choices that needed confronting. That’s steel in your spine. Give it a nod of recognition as you move briskly onwards and downwards.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Weigh in this morning and my weekend away which included several non diet friendly (but mindfully eaten) indulgences and my weightloss stalled at 10 stone 13.6, so I am back to my normal BSD way of life with determination to lose a little more this week. This is still 7.4 pounds down on last Tuesday so not too worried, and I did enjoy the eggy bread cooked over an open fire with my mum and sister. A real blast from the past that always brings back so many good memories. I remember trying a egg soaked aubergine slice once as a BSD friendly alternative while still on the weightloss phase of the lifestyle. Not the same!

I have also considered more BSD friendly desserts as my contribution to the coming festivities, the pannacotta sounds like a great idea, and could quite easily be made more body friendly. I will give it some thought over the next few days. Just remember that fruit as it comes off the tree is not the enemy except in unnaturally large quantities, processing with large quantities of added sugar or removal of fibre is where the problem starts. Just keep portions small and sweet is still okay in small doses, although tastes obviously change as well so many vegetables now taste sweet to me, and most heavily processed stuff tastes sickly.

• posted by Busybee
    on

Good morning fellow Elves
    I am 0.75 lbs down from last week and am more than happy with that as it takes me back to just under the three stone off mark again. After a good weight lost I tend to hover at about the same numbers while my body gets used to the new weight and I’m hoping that this is a bit like maintaining, but that is a long time to go yet!

In the past, this has been the time I usually gain half a stone rather than over Christmas itself as we have lots of birthday celebrations and pre Christmas lunches over a couple of weeks.

I agree that the change in mindset is so important and at the moment I feel very positive and in control – long may that continue! I am also terrified that having to take the large doses of steroids again will stall/ruin my loss but at present I haven’t noticed a huge increase in appetite, possibly due keeping the carbs low.

Just two weeks before we fly out to NJ for Christmas and NewYear and I’m still hoping to see the 13’s before we leave.
    Keeping on ………. O.D.A.A.T
    X B

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Fruit is one of the enemies to me, sad to say, and even before I cut carbs and found the BSD I only ever ate organic and local produce so it wasn’t about processing. It’s sugar, plain and simple. Same goes for carrots, beets and onions. There’s no meaningful room for leeway in my physical makeup and I am not only at peace with that, I am joyful to finally know what works and what doesn’t for me. Butterlover’s mileage may vary, of course. I’m just pointing out that the association of eating foods that damage your body and hinder your goals with happy days of yore is a function of our fuzzy brains, not an objective reality that there can be no holiday spirit without setting some pudding on fire or whatever.

• posted by JackieM
    on

Mokovex – I agree with you about the forum, it’s the first place you can acknowledge stuff you might not want to tell people face to face (or even yourself) and once it’s out there it’s easier to deal with.

I have to say I have such peace of mind with this WOE, as I know if I stay low carb I will not feel ill again. The weight loss is just happening, 4 months in (slow but steady). I can honestly say I haven’t ‘cheated’, though I have eaten plentifully and not always kept to 800 when I was doing that, because I am an emotional eater and sometimes allowing myself to have that extra piece of 90% chocolate has been important. And then the next one (but there’s only 14g of carbs in the whole 100g and I figured even if I ate the whole thing I was not damaging myself the same way I would with a snickers bar). I never felt like beating myself up because I was indulging within the rules.

The only anxiety I have had is through making mistakes – not realising the carb content of things, or licking the spoon when making cookies (reflex!) and that’s when the ‘keep on keeping on’ mantra has been so useful. And when I was properly counting everything I would just not have something rather than risk extra carbs and figured if it was low carb I’d risk it (at one point I would have a whole packet of pre-sliced cheese when on the go in the car – not exactly balanced! But that wore off eventually!)

I don’t eat secretly anymore, as there’s nothing to be ashamed of anymore. If I want the chocolate then I eat it and can say to the kids or the husband ‘this is my only indulgence’. Um, thinking about it that’s not strictly true, the only secret thing I have now is double cream, because it does seem very decadent to have a spoonful straight from the fridge. Maybe we all need to feel a bit naughty sometimes, though 😁

• posted by Esnecca
    on

That’s great, Busybee! How wonderful for you to be in such a productive place, especially with the meds you’re on and all their potential to wreak havoc. Have a great time in New Jersey. Avoid the Vince Lombardi rest area and you should be golden. 😀

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Jackie, I spooned half an ounce of creme fraiche into my omelette the other night and it felt sybaritic. I almost had to drape a sheet around me like a toga and recline on the couch while eating it. 😆

• posted by JackieM
    on

Esnecca 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• posted by MaisieMouse
    on

No loss to report for me this week, hopefully it will show up next week as I would like to lose a couple of pounds before Christmas.
    A few months ago I bought a lovely new winter dress, size 10, brought it away with me this weekend knowing that it would fit and looking forward to wearing it for the first time. (I did try it on when I got it but haven’t touched it since)
    Put it on ready for the event. Enormous on me! Amazingly I had a leather belt with me which was exactly the right colour for the dress and totally saved the day! Phew!

• posted by topcac
    on

Hello Ho Ho all

So after a few dodgy weekdays last week I had a planned filled few days and am reporting a 3/4lb loss. This is a 2.75lbs loss in the last 8 days. This means two things.
    1) My weight starts with a 9 again (after three weeks of being in the 10’s I am very glad of this) and
    2) I seem to have got back in some kind of groove as yesterday I went Christmas shopping and felt absolutely no temptation to have a gingerbread latte, lunch out, chocolates etc etc

One amazing discovery that I did make is that Tesco have started selling cauliflower rice in a microwavable pouch (like rice). I don’t know how long this has been going on but we tried it on Saturday night (with chicken korma – yummy) and it was ok. SO, not great but when you are slapping curry all over it then it’s fine, or chilli, or using it in kedgeree. Very handy, great portion control (if you are like me and just do a whole cauliflower and think ‘sod it’) – just thought I’d share.

A few meandering thoughts on the last three weeks before Christmas. My first thought is, of course, that it’s still 3 WEEKS. It seems like Christmas has already been and gone – shops putting up decorations in September, tubs of chocolate on sale for the last two months. It’s rotten if you are trying to stick to plan. But we can do it because (secondly) last year, in the last three weeks before Christmas, I lost 5lbs!! And lost 1/4lb over Christmas. When I look at that now it seems unbelievable but I’m very glad that I logged my weight as looking back is a real boost that I can do this again.

So, shields up everyone, bat away all those sugar and carb laden goodies and concentrate on the lovely stuff we can eat – cold meats, smoked salmon and scrambled eggs (with a little bit of cream in there) pigs in blankets, roast turkey, and I make this fabulous chicken liver pate (not if you’re sticking to 800 cals though!)

Sorry for the horrible rambling – I don’t get out much!!
    TC xxx

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

My total loss for this week is 1lb so still the same as I was on Friday but not gained during my time alone. In fact I couldn’t be bothered to eat yesterday, hubby got home a day late so very late last night. I knew he was going t be late so I just had 2 boiled eggs and then for my snack a slice of ham on ryvita (my only sin) with some pickle but with a lunch of halloumi, bacon and beans I had a total of 950 calories so really not a good idea to ‘not eat’ proper meals. The lunch alone was 495 cals. I often have the grilled halloumi but not usually with grilled bacon and beans which are all individually high in calories. Must learn a lesson from that, make proper meals. Anyway it is another week and I am back to being motivated so hoping for a good result next week.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Esnecca – I had to google the word meaning of ‘sybaritic’, and then I laughed out loud at the picture you painted! 🙂

• posted by VictoriaM
    on

Hi all,

I haven’t lost since Sunday which I suspect is partly the normal slow down after the first 8lb rush but also I think is down to my husband’s cooking. He does 3 to 4 meals per week and I can NOT convince him to cut down the veggies! In his world they are good for you, I need 5 per day etc. I have been leaving quite a few but I think probably still going over 20 carbs. Today I cooked so I had Keto crab cake, kale and spin h with a roast pepper and avocado sauce. I made him fried potatoes and a pile of veggies and wasnt tempted.

On the good news side I have stopped obsessing about how hungry I am on 800 cals and started planning. Taking advice from here I have decided on my menu choices where I can for going out, and I have already told friends I’m going out with for tea that I’ll only be drinking tea, not eating it.

I have also started looking for Keto recipes for things like trifle that everyone can have and I can have instead of pudding which was made before I made this choice. Found most things but need to experiment a bit.

This afternoon is my first venture into real temptation. I’m going to London for a choir practice and usually when I come out I’m tired and it’s cold standing on the station. Perfect temptation time. I’ve taken boiled eggs and half an avacado to eat on the way back so hopefully I’ll stop there.

on

I see Prof Taylor has published his results and they are good. I only heard snippets on the radio news but it did say that an 800 calorie diet did work in reversing T2 diabetes. No mention of low carb or healthy fats but I am sure we will be able to see the full report in due course.

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Everyone,

I’ve lost 2lb this week which I’m pleased about. It means I’ve hit my first mini-target of this challenge – my BMI is now 26.5 down from 36.5 when I weighed my heaviest. I only need to hit my next target – lose another 1lb (which I’m sure I’ll do) to have lost a total of 4 stone from my top weight (this includes my pre-BSD weight loss).

So my main focus for the rest of this challenge is to keep trying new low carb recipes, so I’ll have lots of delicious meals to carry through into 2018 – oh, and experimenting with the fasting.

I’ve just got back from attending the first part of the Desmond course (Diabetes self-management) – next session next Tuesday. For me it’s thrown up a lot of odd, unexpected feelings which I need to work through/off ?!?, so I’m out for a long, brisk walk (might as well get my steps in) before it gets dark!

It feels like there’s a real buzz on the forums at the moment and there seems to have been some fascinating posts – so will be back later for a good read and to see how everyone’s doing.
    Take care all
    Marie x

• posted by marie123
    on

Oh, that’s interesting sunshine-girl. I’ll try to pick it up when I get back. I’d really like to bring the info into next weeks Desmond session – that’s heartened me.
    Marie

• posted by alliecat
    on

Congratulations Marie, on all fronts, weight loss as well as managing stress and uncomfortable
    emotions with a brisk walk! Earlier this year I had to contain a very high level of anxiety
    with my husband’s health, and brisk walking was the key!. I was constantly running outside
    to walk off my heart beating out of my chest at times. Far better than relying on food or
    drink to manage my emotions. I also love your strategy to experiment with fresh new
    recipes going into 2018. Please share!

Allie

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Great to see so many of you reporting losses. Have to confess, I have missed being on the challenge. And actually, I’m feeling very unfocused and whilst I’m still below target, I’d certainly prefer to have a couple more pounds wriggle room, given the festive season is looming. I’m trying to push for a couple more pounds, but as I said, I’m not really focused so need to work on mindset and try to knuckle under.

Keep going everyone, you’re doing great!

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Victoria, might you be interested in this? Strawberry Trifle sugar free low carb

Its at least a good place to start….definately will take a chunk of your calorie budget, but the nice thing about this WOE is it can be made up by lower calorie the day before or after…..just always keep the carbs low. Not really able to make up for those if they spike your insulin.

https://sugarfreelondoner.com/classic-desserts-sugar-free-low-carb/

Net carbs (less fiber) are 6g

Nutrition Facts
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories 287 Calories from Fat 234
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 26g 40%
    Total Carbohydrates 10g 3%
    Dietary Fiber 4g 16%

• posted by VictoriaM
    on

Wow luvtcook that looks great, thanks I need to practice th3 spong but only 800/20 at the moment so I’ll have to find a willing victim to try it for me.

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Victoria, it should be a snap. Low carb baking with almond flour isn’t as fussy as “real” baking. No whipping of egg whites and fancy folding, etc on this one. The only way you could mess it up would be to overbake it and dry it out too much (although the triffle should wet it down a bit anyway).

And the cake/sponge part should freeze very nicely so you can make it a week ahead…sample a small cube of it to confirm you are happy with it….and freeze the rest until you are ready to assemble the triffle.

You could also add some brandy to the cake ingredients if you like instead of the vanilla as there is no liquor in it otherwise, and the alcohol will bake out and only the flavor will remain.

The other thing you could consider would be some mascarpone cheese and reduce the sour cream. Thicker and less tangy. Good news you can play with that as you go and get a taste you are happy with.

Good luck! Hope it does the trick for you for Xmas.

• posted by Andy1972
    on

Wrote on the wrong forum instead of this one.been one of those weeks anyway made some cloud bread from BBC good food low carb menu . Took them to work & had wafer thin ham & spinach in them. Absolutely gorgeous!

• posted by Flick
    on

Wow, so many great results this week! Courageously looking forward not back, weight losses, size 10 dresses, careful forward planning for tricky situations, hunger settling down!

Hello JulesP, how is your week going?

My big NSV for Week 3 was my .5cm reduction in waist measurement. I was a bit dismissive of this until I received a well deserved poke from Esnecca. Spurred on I spent a bit of time trying on a couple of items in my ‘should fit soon’ pile. I am so thrilled to report that a pair of trousers in this pile, my favorite ones, fit! Size 14. No strain, no elastic. Woohoo. I have my first serious challenge meal out tonight so I will wear these trousers as a private little reminder of my Week 3 triumph.

I also find that I have made an error in my first challenge report. I only counted 6 instead of 7 diet days. I won’t bother correcting it here but will sort just add the extra day in next weeks report. Turns out I’m not only a pretty poor typist I’m also rubbish at the quantum physics required to accurately count the number of days in a week!

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Allie,

I’ve said it before – you’re such a lovely person.

I can handle the practical side of BSD – I’ve lost the weight, I’ve reduced the blood sugars, but every now and again I’ll get this surge of emotion – like a whack in the face – that catches me completely unaware. Today, it wasn’t about the actual diabetes course I attended although I’m going to do things differently next week.

I spent most of my career in the NHS and today was the first day I went back into a building where I’d worked, albeit only briefly. It reminded me of the years of sheer hard slog, the hours I put in, then coming home exhausted and comfort eating, comfort eating, comfort eating. I told myself I was doing well (I was doing well) and that the workload demanded it (maybe a bit, no, a lot) but the reality is I worked so much because I felt if I slowed down, worked any less, I’d be found out. To say a lot of our disastrous eating patterns are linked to internal insecurities is to state the bl**ding obvious, but my goodness those things run deep.

Anyway, for a usually calm, self-contained English woman I find all this emotion exhausting. I’m going to stay at home tomorrow and quietly tidy the house.

As for sharing any recipes, I’d happily share, but I really was the workaholic in the family, so when I say I’m no cook I really am no cook. The reason I enjoy making soup, apart from eating it, is that you just pretty much throw it all in the pan and let it do its own thing. So, I’ll be pinching the recipes from on here…… including yours, Allie.
    Marie x

• posted by Marsie
    on

So, 61.6kg this morning. That’s better. 400gm down on yesterday.

Challenge today is a x2 course, set menu lunch. I think I’m going to need to limit by portion size as there won’t be much that is BSD friendly. I’ll concentrate on the wonderful ladies I’m lunching with.

Busybee, I’m loving reading your posts. Enjoying the good place you’re in at the moment, I’m happy for you xx

One day at a time ……🙆

• posted by Mokovex
    on

Morning all,

today -0.5lb 😀 still 1.5lb higher than lowest so far but trying to manage my frustration about that.

Things are getting back on track. Today, hubby and I have an evening planned of meal review and online grocery shopping, Yay, living the dream baby!

Really enjoying the posts here, hurrah for clothes that now fit, enjoy those trousers Flick as I wonder how long they will continue to fit as you continue this WOE. MaiseMouse – I could just imagine that loose size 10 dress, brilliant.
    VictoriaM- I also have a cold station platform that was a real point of temptation for me (usually resulting in a snickers) so well done on your planning.
    Marie123 – 2lb loss, great news and echo Alliecat’s sentiments, for finding healthy ways to process emotional distress.

Have a good day x

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hi all, I was down a full kg this week, meaning I was down to 81.7kg. I’m not expecting to stay there though, as I’ve had a couple of really horrible days. My horse had a very severe relapse with his illness on the weekend and I have been working very hard with the vet over the past few days to get him stabilized. In spite of this, I managed to fast on Sunday, but I just couldn’t face it on Tuesday as I was already feeling very tired and run down. That wouldn’t have been tragic in itself, as I could have just put fasting off for a day or two, but as I have been spending up to 6 hours a day nursing my horse on top of working all day, I have not been organized with food and that ended with me chosing to eat high-carb convenience foods on Tuesday. The only good thing is that it tasted disgusting and that is motivation for getting back on track as quickly as possible. How have others coped with high stress situations where you have little time to plan and are so tired that you can’t think straight, making it hard to make good food choices when you are eating on the fly?

• posted by Macbeth
    on

Well done, everyone! Some super results for this week on here; I’ve loved reading all your posts. This morning, the scales registered a 5lb loss from last week. Extremely happy about that as it included a Christmas meal (where I chose carefully, but still somehow expected it to sabotage my efforts) and big Sunday lunch at my parents. I’m imagining lots of that was water loss that the carb-creep of ‘maintaining’ had brought, but it’s a loss, nonetheless, and brings me within a hair’s breadth of achieving the goal I set myself for this challenge. Looking forward to seeing the ’10s’ by next weigh day!

• posted by Macbeth
    on

Articfox, your week sounds so stressful and we all seem programmed (some less so now) to reach for the high-carb comforter when in the same situation. When my head is really in the right place and I don’t have time to cook, I don’t. I try to have BSD friendly snacks as my meal; nuts, small amounts of cheese, avocado, etc. Almost certainly over the recommended calorie count, but following principles. I hope things improve for you and your situation soon.

• posted by Ancient Weaver
    on

Well, never mind a slap on the wrist for me, I deserve a proper rap on the knuckles! I’m back up to 11,5. Too many small transgressions, and I have no off button when it comes to cream, and especially squirty cream. It may well be BSD friendly, but cream is my downfall.
    That and not having decided beforehand what I am having for my evening meal. I get really hungry about 5 o’clock, and if I don’t already know what I am going to have for supper, so I can simply start preparing food, I will grab whatever is to hand while checking out what I have available and deciding what to have for my meal. Personally I wouldn’t have cakes etc. in the house, and I can usually avoid Mum’s stash, but my son has a habit of bringing rare examples when he visits, and these have a tendency to be left in full view for all to share . . .
    Still, my power to resist cakes is far greater than my ability to resist cream, and squirty cream is just too easy to dispense. :S

• posted by JulesP
    on

Loving being back in the wagon again and delighted no carb headache after my 2 week carb fest, my body just seems to want to get straight back into it. My energy levels are up again, during carb fest all I really wanted to do was curl up and watch TV and old medical problems reappeared such as painful knee and blocked sinuses, knee already better, hopefully sinuses will follow. Fingers crossed for a good loss this week. Keep on keeping on!

• posted by Busybee
    on

Thank you for your kind comments…
    Esnecca, the steroids are indeed a wonder drug but the side effects are horrible. Fortunately the large doses are now being reduced over time as the TAB was negative.
    Marsie, well done to you also – we both have had our ups and downs over the last few months, but seem to be on a roll at present.
    Keeping on………
    X B

• posted by JackieM
    on

Hey ArticFox, sorry you’ve had such a crappy week. When my son got admitted to hospital (suspected appendicitis – it wasn’t, thankfully) I ate sliced cheese and ham straight out the packet as there wasn’t anything else. The fat gave em the comfort bit. I have to say I’m off ham now! Sliced beef has no added sugar, either. When you need an instant, tear open the packet type experience that’s what I tend to go for. It’s not necessarily healthy or cost effective but at least it’s quick and filling and BSD friendly. As opposed to many other options which are none of those. I also used sliced meat as a kind of bread, for spreading other stuff on (mayo, cream cheese, avodaco etc)

Back on the wagon and best of luck xx

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Arcticfox, my go to when stressed and no time to cook is tuna salad (tuna and mayo)….zero carbs, on Wasa Light crackers (1 slice has about 4 carbs and 22 calories….see below). Only use one cracker/slab and load it up with tuna salad.

That with some hot soup (or just broth if needed) seems to be comforting to me. And its stuff I always have in the pantry.

Hope things look up for your horse….I am so envious that you have one. It is lucky to have such a caring owner.

Crisp’n Light Wholesome Wheat Crackerbread

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size: 3 slices (18g)
    Calories from Fat 5Calories 70
    Total Carbohydrate 14g 5%
    Dietary Fiber 1g 4%
    Total: 13 net carbs for 3, 4.3 g each

on

Hi everyone, sorry for anyone struggling, especially if it is with important things not diet related. It can make things so much harder for us. I have stuck with the weight but still motivated. Funny I feel my midriff and stomach have gone down so I might have lost some fluid so not as bloated.

I was at the dentist this morning and, as usual since going on this diet, didn’t need any treatment for my gums. She always used to say, your teeth are lovely but your gums are crap.

When I got back I spend half an hour typing an email to The Wright Stuff after Lowrie Turner said it wasn’t possible to EAT an 800 calories diet and it could only be done with drinks. I explained the diet to her as she is supposed to be a nutritionist and told her that the newspapers are slightly misrepresenting by not mentioning the low carb healthy fat aspect and to show her 800 calories is easy (ish) sent her a copy of my menu plan. Wonder if she will bother to read it.

Anyway today is another day and I am organised and motivated. Spinach, raspberry and almond milk smoothie for brekkie, homemade pumpkin soup for lunch and my usual clear the fridge out Wednesday omelette with a portion saved for supper. Keep up the good efforts everyone.

• posted by Sueonit
    on

Hi All,
    Well done to all it’s great to read everyone’s posts. I am trying really hard not to fall into bad habits and over eat all the sugary Xmas goodies that seem to be everywhere! I know I can say NO and just not eat them! THERE REALLY BAD FOR ME! I have to imagine me next year carrying less weight and looking amazing😊 and feeling HEALTHY. I can walk past the tubs of sweets 🍬 I can!!! It is feeling hard!!!!!
    I have no loss to report this week, I have stayed the same weight. (9.5lbs lost previous challenge) I am on my first fast had dinner 8pm yesterday and have not eaten since👍 Planning on fasting until tomorrow lunch time💪💪 So next weeks weigh in will be reflective, tummy grumbling that’s a good sign😊time for a glass of 💧 💧 Good luck all 👍👍

• posted by KazzUK
    on

ArcticFox – my emergency quick meal is a quick omelette. Quickly saute some finely chopped mushroom and a handful of spinach for a couple of minutes, add the two beaten eggs, stir it all up, season, then a couple of grates of cheese. Or omit the veg and serve a plain cheese omelette on a bed of raw spinach leaves. Job done! I hope your horse is on the mend. I feel for you – my niece has a horse and works full time. It’s hard in the winter with the draining cold, let alone with the stress of a poorly neddy!

Well done, S-G, writing that email. It’s so frustrating having to listen or read “advice from nutritionists” when it’s contrary to what we know to be true. People will follow her advice (like we all did with the low fat is best advice!). Let us know if you get a reply!

KOKO and well done to all.

Kazzee xx

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Congratulations, Flick, on slipping into those pants! That .5 cm loss had far more concrete results than you might expect and now you’re already rocking your goal clothes and you’re not even halfway through the first 8 weeks. So great. I love to see you taking so much joy in the moment. Every step, no matter how small, brings you one happy yellow brick closer to Emerald City.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

ArcticFox, I always keep a bag of uncured turkey pepperoni in the fridge, smoked fish, flaxseed crackers and a bunch of different sauerkrauts, kimchi and pickles. When I’m hungry and need something stat and don’t have the time or inclination, an ounce of the pepperoni slices tides me over very. I’ll have them on flaxseed crackers sometimes, or bake them in the oven for 10 minutes (if I’m not ravenous) because they get lovely and crispy and then I use them as chips to have with baba ganoush or my black soy bean and lupini hummus. The fermented stuff I just plop on a plate and devour, or if I’m up for it, I make into a salad with Romaine, arugula, radicchio, broccoli sprouts, sunflower shoots and an extremely simple two-second miso dressing.

• posted by Flick
    on

ArticFox, Warm hugs to you, hopefully your beloved horse is on the mend. Discovering your tastes have changed so much that the disgusting high carb convenience poison tastes horrible, you have already reprogrammed your taste buds – kudos to you!

I agree omelettes are a great fall back meal, and if it is all too much then simple scramble eggs with whatever greenery you have available on the side. If the cupboards are really bare, I suggest a quick supermarket stop on the way home. The trick when you are stressed and tired is to get in and out quick. 5 items max – bag of greenery, lemon, punnet of berries, some precooked protein (rostissery chicken – likely to be a but blerrgh but – emergency, vac pack of cooked prawns or smoked fish) and a pot of full fat yoghurt. Bonus items – avocado and bag of Brazil nuts –

Now get out of there. Have a berry or two (or nuts if you managed that) as you drive home. Put the kettle on. Throw leaves and chopped protein (avocado and hastily chopped nuts if available) in a bowl, squeeze of lemon, plenty of salt and pepper. Take a deep breath, sit down and shovel it in. Another deep breath and in a more relaxed, civilized manner, properly enjoy some yoghurt and berries and a soothing cuppa. Finally, you need to manage those cortisol levels so a warm bath or shower before bed.

Sueonit, I’m finding imaging those ‘goodies’ transforming into Kush’s description of toxic, rancid yellow visceral fat is working a treat! Worked like a charm with the chocolate berry cloud cake that was on offer at the challenging dinner party I ended up quite enjoying last night.

Please log in or register to post a reply.