Bulgar wheat

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Andycol52
    on

As an Italian on the 8 week 800 cal diet I really miss risotto, pasta etc. However I have now discovered bulgar wheat, which I had never eaten before. I like it cooked in chicken stock it reminds me of risotto. My question is should I limit the amount I eat?

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Andycol52
    It is quite high in carbs. How much do you have as a serving size?

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi! I just checked the carb load for 1 cup of cooked bulgar wheat…25.6g. That’s very high!

• posted by Andycol52
    on

Well, I only asked because it appears in a lot of recipes in the blood sugar diet book. Thanks for your reply.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

I think it depends on why you are doing the BSD. I have to limit my carbs to 20g a day because more than that will spike my blood sugars and I would have to go back to injecting insulin. So for me bulgar wheat is a no-no.

Many people, however, follow the recipes in the books and do very well on 50g carbs a day. It does depend whether you are doing the BSD to prevent ever getting diabetes, or are already pre-diabetic, or have recently been diagnosed with diabetes or have had diabetes for a long time. The longer you have had diabetes the more insulin resistant you are likely to be. Which means you will do better on lower carbs.

So – if you are ok with bulgar wheat I would be guided by the portion size in the recipe book.

Please log in or register to post a reply.