BSD and Shift advice?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Elleteapea
    on

Hi, newbie starting the BSD
    looking for some advice on diet and shift work. I do long dayshifts- 12hrs. Easy on days off but on working days can be difficult, especially when busy as breaks often very short or missing. Anyone have any hints or advice especially good make ahead meals that can be used? Limited facilities at work- toaster and microwave. Trying to avoid the temptation of junk food on way home when hungry and stressed!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Elleteapea – welcome. As there is a microwave available to you, I’d think in terms of soups, which can be easily made ahead, frozen in portions and then taken with you to heat up. Or salads (assuming there is a fridge you can store in until needed). You could also make extra portions of BSD friendly dishes to freeze and heat in the micro. Once you have yourself established with the BSD, you’ll probably find you can get by with some yogurt, berries and a few nuts during yout 12hr shifts and then have a meal once home. Cutting down the carbs, will result in hunger becoming a stranger, as it’s the carbs that drives hunger.

For the trip home, carry pre-portioned nuts to tide you through, or a mini-cheese or maybe have a hard boiled egg before leaving work. Think low carb, medium protein and medium good fats and you won’t go far wrong.

Best wishes for success and hope to see you around on other threads on the forum, where you will be made welcome and can find plenty of advice and support.

• posted by Elleteapea
    on

Thanks SunnyB
    Trying to avoid eating after shifts as 21:00-22:00 when get home depending on start and whether get away on time. The nuts and eggs I hadn’t thought of- makes sense and probably avoids junk food. Think planning ahead and stocking up is going to be important. There is a limited canteen on site but can’t guarantee getting break at times it’s open and doesn’t have a very inspiring range of food.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Yes, it sounds like you will definitely need to plan ahead and be sure you have things you can take with you for your meals. It might mean spending bit of time on days off, preparing and freezing stuff, but once you begin to get into your stride with it, I’m sure it will become manageable.

• posted by deltaquadrant
    on

Hi,

I’ve just started Fast 800 but used to do the original 5:2 when it came out whilst juggling shifts, so I would eat breakfast, fast all day then eat dinner when I got home from work. I’d chug a good 2 litres of water (my bottle never left my side) and I made sure all my colleagues knew it was a Fast Day so they didn’t offer me things! I actually found it easier to fast on work days because it’s commonplace that we’re so busy that we don’t eat anyway lol
    I make sure that there was something super easy I could throw together at home (omelette used to be a favourite coz you never fancy salad after a long day). Good luck!

Please log in or register to post a reply.