Broken sleep anyone?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by bernie
    on

Hi all – is anyone else suffering from broken sleep from having to go for a wee in the night? The problem I am having is that I am really struggling to drift back to sleep again. I used to have this on fasting days for the 5:2 but it is every night on this diet.

I can’t think of a way to stop it but would be nice to know I am not the only one 🙂

• posted by Sabrina77
    on

Hi Bernie, I had the same problem. I was drinking 300ml of warm milk before bed & ended up getting up in the middle of the night. I reduced down to 200ml & have not had to get up. Hope that helps.

• posted by bernie
    on

Thanks Sabrina – anything that can help – going to try and cut down what I am drinking in the evening to see if that helps.

• posted by misssay
    on

Hi Bernie, I try and drink most or all of my day’s liquids before 8 – 8.30pm.This has helped a lot, although I still get up twice most nights. Don’t put the lights on – I use a dull torch or an electric night light – either plug the night light in somewhere on the way to the bathroom, or plug it in near the bed, so you can put it on as you get out of bed. Less light means I can stay half asleep, and therefore find it easier to get back to sleep again. Apparently it is to do with your melatonin levels – more light affects them and tells your body/brain it is time to wake up. I’m not sure how scientifically accurate that is, but it works for me!

Not sure how long you have been on the BSD, but I found that after the first 4 or 5 days, I have been sleeping much more deeply anyway.

• posted by Shadow2
    on

Bernie .. I have exactly the same problem as you and also had same problem on 5.2 when i was fasting. I also have tinnitus and it was always worse around 3am or 4am more so when I was fasting so have always thought that it was connected to my blood sugars which gp always said wasnt so. I am on a 5.2 low carb meditteranean diet which has been successful in bringing down blood sugars. I have also upped the steps to 10,000 and over the last few nights that has really helped with my sleep. I have covered up my clock and am finding getting back to sleep much easier and have also slept for 4 hours at beginning of the night which is Hopefully this will continue, will keep you posted! I also try to drink less after 8.30.

• posted by Scotgran
    on

I wear an airplane eye mask! Seriously, it works a treat. If I get up, which is seldom, I pull it up to my forehead and pull it back down as soon as I get back to bed. I usually drop off ok.

• posted by bernie
    on

Thanks for the suggestions everyone – have noticed that it does also depend what I eat as to whether I am having to get up earlier or later. If I eat meals with loads of salad and veg than I have to get up earlier, I guess due to the water content.

Am trying to drink more in the day than night and touch wood it seems to have made a difference.

Please log in or register to post a reply.