brina's diary

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by brina
    on

Hi all,
    Thought I’d try sharing my progress as I go along and hopefully complete 8 weeks of the BSD.

I’m a 40yo male, 5’10”, and weighed 202.5 lbs when I started. When I was 19 I weighed about 155 lbs, and by the time I was 22 weighed over 200. By the time I was 30yo, this crept up to 230. I worked my ass off in a spinning class over several months and got below the obesity line for my BMI, and just settled into 205lbs as my static weight. Gained and lost a few here and there through no real effort. Started being a bit more conscious about food/exercise and had got down to 195 lbs about 4 years ago, but it crept back up to 202.5 when I did my first BSD weigh-in.

My wife inspired me to read this book and try the BSD and has been super helpful answering questions about what to eat, and also not to get to serious and bent out of shape if I go over my targets.

I’m on day 6, and it feels like a huge achievement.

day 1: 202.5 lbs
    day 2: 203
    day 3: 202.4
    day 4: 200.6
    day 5: 198.2
    day 6: 196.6

Down almost 6 pounds after 5 days effort. Pretty inspiring to keep going. Reminding myself not to get discourage when things flat-line here and there.

One of the biggest things I’ve learned is I really had no idea when was in food. My fitnesspal app has made it really easy to add up calories, etc. Just paying attention to this by adding every meal, snack, and cup of tea has helped me.

Last comment for now is that I’m glad the book talked about the first 48 hours being the worst in terms of feeling hungry. I don’t think I ever really allowed myself to feel hungry before, and if I did I would just binge until I felt satiated.

I definitely still fee hungry at times throughout the day. I try to have a cup of tea, drink water, move around a bit, or just remind myself that this is the weight-loss part of the diet, and it’s only 56 days.

Best,
    -B

• posted by Jackie WilsonSaid
    on

brina
    It is good to document your journey.
    I was nodding at a few comments – I haven’t felt hungry for 35 years [nearly 60] – just didn’t see why I should.
    And similarly uninterested and unaware of carbs and calories etc. I now see it as an interesting scientific trial with my favourite subject – me – at the centre. And I’ve been s*inning for nearly 4 years [the * key on my com uter has just sto ed working!!].
    Weight stagnated after initial loss so I was high muscle, high internal fat.

I’m in week 6 and also delighted at the weight loss, and that it’s been interesting rather than difficult. The huge benefit I am finding is in mood and outlook – my optimistic nature has returned. Didn’t lose much last week but my visceral fat reduced to the next level to 13% [start was 15%] which is towards ‘normal’ for my age – aim is 12%. So remember there is more to it than weight loss when it slows/changes. I’ve switched to 3 s*in followed by 3 gym, instead of more s*in, so maybe some more muscle…]

Usual recommendations: 2-3 litres of water, Greek yog [the real stuff], low carb, good fats, s*iralizer, chia seeds, etc.

Congrats on embracing the challenge and your results so far.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

He He Jackie
    you need to say the old Blockbusters classic
    Can I have a P please Bob 😀

Please log in or register to post a reply.