Breakfast – ‘healthy’ granola?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by MarianneSolong
    on

Hi all, I intend to start the BS diet tomorrow and have been reading recipes and preparing a shopping list. I can find many lunch and dinner recipes that look nice but am struggling with breakfasts.
    I usually make the Deliciously Ella granola (jumbo oats, coconut oil, maple syrup, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, almonds, coconut chips) and eat with fresh berries – question is, will eating calorie controlled portion of this destroy the diet?
    Also does anybody know the max carbs suggested per day – can’t seem to find this in the book?

Many thanks kind folk!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Marianne, welcome to the site and also to the BSD. Looked at your profile and you dont say if you have any health problems so I will assume you dont. Starting with how many carbs we eat it is usually 50g per day but some people eat less. I have just looked at the Ella granola recipe and cant see that it is that healthy. Too many carbs in the oats and maple syrup (pure sugar) and too many calories in the seeds and oil. If you know how many carbs and calories (you can find a calculator online) and it works into your 800 cals for the day then it is up to you. If you are diabetic it would not be a good choice. Have you tried full fat plain yoghurt with the berries and maybe a sprinkle of seeds or nuts. Much healthier. Sorry if this isnt what you wanted to hear but the BSD is a very strict plan for the first 8 to 12 weeks but well worth it.

on

Forgot to say, when we are all back on the diet on Monday – or sooner – there is a thread called the Easter Bus for those of us who want to reset our goals with a clear target in site. It is open to anybody, newbies, oldies, BSD, Fast500, 5:2. Doesnt matter which plan you are following it is a place to share our aims, goals, worries etc. There is also a weekly thread always called One Week At A Time Starting …. and the date, for those who want to be keeping an eye on the goal on a weekly basis. Again, everyone welcome.

on

Many thanks for both responses 😁.

I haven’t properly set up a profile yet, but as you guessed, no particular health issues (yet!) – I’ve just been gaining weight and have annoying indigestion and an iffy back. I’ve tried many diets before but generally give up after a few weeks when weight loss plateaus. I know that my problem is sugar (I seem addicted to chocolate and biscuits) but have previously been put off by the idea of also giving up rice, pasta, cereal, bread etc – but it’s now def time to try!!
    I don’t have dietary intolerances, but I really hate wet food incl soups and yogurt which rules out a lot of recipes…..hence looking for a replacement (pref not cooked) breakfast. I think I’ll try a tiny portion of granola for a few days and see how it goes….

Thanks again

on

Hi Marianne – Happy new year. Just as an illustration I have put all the ingredients / amounts from Ellas recipe into a nutrition calculator and the whole recipe comes out at 4400 calories and 470 g carbohydrate. Divide that by 20 and you have got a breakfast of 220 cals and 23 carbs. Which is actually not that bad (do you then add milk) but more than half of your calories are coming from the maple syrup and oil. If there is a way of making it with less syrup then it might be an okay breakfast for NOW and THEN but not everyday. Plus you will have used up half of your daily carb allowance if you decide to do 50g daily.
    Now I know you have no health problems I can suggest that going a bit higher on the carbs would not be a problem. However, I think people come to this diet to have rapid weight loss and messing around with it will mean a slower loss. Also, one of the problems with very low calorie diets is hunger. If you get rid of the starchy while carbs you get rid of the mechanism which makes you feel hungrier. Your body starts to feed of its fat supply instead of craving carbs. Hope that helps.

on

Hi and thanks again – you are very helpful!

I had checked the nutrients in MFP, which is why I asked for an idea of daily carbs…..and after a bit of research also came to the conclusion that I don’t need to go as low as 50g. My main concern is that I avoid enough sugar to stop the cravings as that’s how my diets usually fail.
    The 220 cal granola (which I had this morning) is half my previous portion size (eek!) – I have I with a tiny splash of milk and some blueberries and strawberries. This morning was the last of a batch so tomorrow I’m going to try a different breakfast…..tho’ not sure what…….

Thanks again

on

Thats the way to do it. It is no good starting a diet that you are not going to stick with so keep it simple. Dont forget that the other starchy carbs are basically sugar – bread, pasta, rice, potatoes and cereals (except oats) all turn to sugar in the blood. Most people think of sugar as the white stuff and biscuit and cakes but they are only the obvious ones. Take your time, learn more and see how you get on. Good luck.

Breakfast, you dont like wet foods. Feel like saying get over yourself with a big smiley emoji but I wont. You dont want to cook it – again, big smiley emoji. I could give you so many suggestons but you would have to be willing to try some plain yoghurt. I choose the greek style as it is thick and creamy, served with berries and flaked almonds, or with grilled apricot that has been soaked overnight in cinnamon, lime and olive oil. Scrambled eggs with grated cheese. You like oats so try the No Carb Bircher – 15g oats soaked overnight in 50ml apple juice, raisins and cinnamon, served with or without 2 tablespoons of greek yoghurt and a few walnut pieces. My favourite breakfast is Sunday Brunch – grilled bacon or sausage (not both) fried or scrambled egg, grilled mushrooms and canned tomatoes. You could have a collection of boiled eggs in the fridge for a quick and easy breakfast – 2 eggs. I do go on dont I.

• posted by JessKirkpri1
    on

Hi Marianne,
    I use lupin flakes as a crunchy alternative to cereal. Very low carb and high protein, sometimes I also sprinkle cinnamon and stevia on top if I want it a bit sweeter without messing up my sugar levels.

Please log in or register to post a reply.