Breakfast choices?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by ItsAboutTime
    on

Hi,
    I’m new, here and have been lurking for a couple of days – a really friendly and helpful forum. I have only been flirting with low carb for a couple of weeks (already feeling the benefit) but have just started this week to count carbs and calories properly with an app. I’d love some quick breakfast ideas – before this, I replaced bread with oatcakes and would normally have a couple of oatcakes with marmite for breakfast – quick and easy with a family to sort, and I can’t face eggs everyday. I had yoghurt and a sprinkle of pumpkin seeds today but it didn’t feel as long-lasting. Maybe just coffee? Sometimes easier to skip? Thanks

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi ItsAboutTime, eggs can be cooked in many ways, boiled, scrambled with cheese, poached with grilled mushrooms or tomatoes. Yoghurt needs more than just a sprinkle of seeds – I usually have some berry fruits or passion fruit, another favourite is to cut up 2 apricots and sprinkle with cinnamon and lime (or lemon) juice, a splash of olive oil and marinade overnight. Grill until hot and slightly charred on the edges and serve with yoghurt. Chopped apple or pear dusted with mixed spice fried in a knob of butter served with a yoghurt and a small portion of porridge (25 g), overnight soak a bircher muesli using 25 g oats soaked overnight in either apple juice or any type of milk with a few raisins and the next day sprinkle with seeds or a few chopped nuts and if you used apple juice add a tablespoon of yoghurt. Dont have yoghurt or eggs every day, swap them around and never have the same thing in one week even if it is just yoghurt with a different fruit, seed and nut combination. Sunday I always have a Sunday brunch of grilled mushrooms, sausage or bacon, fried egg and canned tomatoes. Hope that helps.

• posted by ItsAboutTime
    on

Thank you, there are loads of ideas there. I was concerned that fruit quickly ups the carbs but love the sound of the apricot. I haven’t tried the Bircher recipe yet, but will give it a look. There is a recipe in the BSD book I think.

I saved eggs for lunch today, but then had a shock with the salad carbs! It’s a learning curve but I really want to head off the potential for diabetes (runs in the family) so I’ll just have to keep exploring.

Thanks for the reply and great tips, I’ll try and mix things up a bit.

• posted by Squidge
    on

I’ve started doing the 16:8 fast and don’t eat until midday. As well as any benefits of fasting, and eating a bit less it means I can then choose to have breakfast or lunch, so don’t end up having the same thing nearly every day.

• posted by ItsAboutTime
    on

Thanks Squidge, I have a feeling that may be my best bet, at least some days. I am used to not eating until lunch some of the time. I have been reading about time restricted eating patterns and think I can easily fit that into my life in some way.
    I am trying low-moderate healthy carbs (80-100) and 900/1000 calories per day. This ought to work, even if it is slower. Ketosis isn’t a specific goal, although weight loss is. I want to see how I do anyway. I am giving myself a month on max 100/1000 to start with. So far my carbs have been about 80. 😬🤞
    I appreciate people sharing what works for them, I will keep it all in mind to try as I adjust to the change in eating. Thanks

• posted by pav66
    on

Hi all – my breakfast since I have been on Dr Mosley 800 Cal program is the following in a blender: (pls note this is my own recipe)
    1. Kale
    2. Spinach
    3. 4 Strawberries
    4. 8 blackberries
    5. One tea spoon of Acai powder
    6. One tea spoon of Chia seeds

Blend that for few mins. Then I have nothing prior to lunch except water with fresh lemon and mint.
    Thanks and TC

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Saw a nice recipe on YouTube where you make a cauliflower base (whizzed cauli with seasoning) placed in a bun tin and cooked for 10 mins. Let it cool and then add an egg mix with bacon bits, bit of red pepper, bit of cheese on top. Comes out like mini quiches and they keep for days or can be frozen. I might try them myself.

• posted by Squidge
    on

Pav66, do you add water and drink it, or have it as a kind of paste?

• posted by ItsAboutTime
    on

I am impressed by all the breakfast suggestions. I think morning fog may play a part in my breakfast issues, not a morning person. I managed to skip quite happily again so perhaps I will focus my energy on lunch and evening meal. I am surprised at how much less hungry I am at the moment – hope it lasts.

• posted by pav66
    on

I normally add water or milk. Work great. Just need to be enough runny to drink it comfortable. Thanks for asking. KR

Please log in or register to post a reply.