BMI dropped under 21 – do I carry on?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by SRice
    on

Hi all, just not sure what to do next.. I was told I had a HBA1C of 73 and diagnosed as type 2 (based on the fact I had gestational diabetes just over a year ago.) I have been trying the diet for 2 weeks now, but I was on 62kg with a BMI of about 21.8 when I started. I figured I may be one of the skinny fat ones as described in the book!
    Anyway 2 weeks in and my BMI is now under 21, and the book said don’t start the diet if your bmi is under 21. So I’m not sure if that rule just applies to your starting BMI or whether you should stop the diet as soon as you drop under. Would appreciate it if anyone knows the answer!! Many thanks x

• posted by florob85
    on

SRice hi, I had a family friend who was recommended this diet for a high HbA1c but didn’t need to lose weight – she did this for a while to get the HbA1c down, and lost a bit of weight, but then she really didn’t need to lose more so she upped her calories but stuck to the low carb principle – I suspect you could probably do the same, it seems to be the low carbs that has the effect on prediabetes and diabetes and not so much the calorie intake so I’d just start with low carb but a “normal” amount of calories – make the most of being able to eat lots of full fat dairy, cheese, nuts, avocado, olive oil etc!

Could also ask your doctor although they are hit and miss as to whether they recommend this diet – but I’d focus on just lowering your carbs and make up the shortfall in calories with healthy fats and proteins

Lauren x

• posted by SRice
    on

Hi Lauren,

Thanks so much for your reply, it’s super helpful!! My doctor pretty much just told me not to eat sugar and wanted to put me on 4 x metformin a day and is not on board with the diet, so it really helps to collect advice here. Thanks again x

• posted by florob85
    on

You’re very welcome, why don’t you come and join us on our weekly thread – this weeks is called Just Keep On Keeping On in June – June 21st (or something like that) – there’s a little group of us, new and experienced and we all share advice and stories to support each other – you’ll find some kindred spirits there with regards to GP not supporting things and so on!

Lauren x

Please log in or register to post a reply.