BMI 19.3. Can I cut carbs?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Bonniebee
    on

Morning, I am a newbie looking for some advice. My hba1c reading was 36 so 1 away from prediabetic. I am slim so drs not concerned, but I am as my mum and nan both have late onset type 2, so I want to be proactive with my diet.
    My bmi is only 19.3 and the machine at gym says body fat =30%, in range for my age. Book said don’t do diet if bmi less than 21. I am assuming that meant don’t fast but will it be OK to cut carbs significantly and follow Mediterranean diet if low bmi? But not cut them out totally?
    . I hope that makes sense and I’d be really grateful for any advice. Thank you.

• posted by theblackspot
    on

Really sorry, I’m no nutritionist, but…
    If you do cut carbs,and eat a rich whole food Mediterranean diet with good fats, plenty of veg and some carbs from whole grains as a side dish not the main event and avoid processed food and the evils of sugar in all its forms. I think any good Dr would give you a pat on the back.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Hi Bonniebee,
    Same as theblackspot, I’m not an expert but I’d say you would fine to cut out the carbs (pasta, potatoes, rice, bread, crisps, sweets, cakes, biscuits) but no need to calorie count so eat whenever you are hungry and stop when you are full, stocking up on protein, veg and fats. I guess your blood sugars might be high if you have had the traditional English diet of sugar-laden foods, even though you have kept your weight down. You might actually find your appetite changes which often happens when you cut the carbs.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Bonniebee
    Like the others, I’m no expert, but I think what matters is where you are getting your calories from – or how nutritional your diet is. Think following the Mediterranean Diet would be no bad thing, as this way you can be sure you are getting good nutrition and your calories for food groups that will sustain a healthy life style.
    Hope it all goes well.

• posted by Bonniebee
    on

Thank you for taking time to reply. I feel more confident now with your replies and the extra research I have done today. The Mediterranean diet is my way forward. Hopefully I can stop my blood sugar in its tracks!

• posted by Elsie
    on

Hi there. My fitness trainer is 5’6″ and is extremely lean with a bmi lower than yours and is aged about 47. She follows low carb but once/ twice a week has starchy veg eg. Sweet potatoes or butternut squash – both v healthful and a refeeed or carbs is essential for health. So she follows mod protein, lots of low carb veg but a diet high in healthful fats – ghee coconut oil. animal fats etc etc ( about 65% of her calorie intake). She has followed this for years and is never I’ll and expends much energy in her job as fitness trainer! Hope this will reassure you.

Please log in or register to post a reply.