Blood Sugar Monitors

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by robin_dj
    on

Hi.

New to the site and just starting out on the 8 week diet. I’m interested in knowing what I’m starting from and am thinking about getting a blood sugar monitor. I see there are some devices listed on the site but on checking Amazon (other sites are available) my eye was drawn to the iHealth BG1 Smart Gluco-Monitoring system, I like the idea of it automatically logging results and also the fact that it seems to integrate with the Apple Health app. Has anyone here used it or have any other recommendations?

Many thanks

David

• posted by Ziggy
    on

Blood Sugar Monitors are relatively cheap in supermarkets and pharmacies David. The expensive part of monitoring is buying the testing strips (which put the blood samples into the monitor). No point in buying an expensive monitor if you are only testing your blood for the duration of the diet, you can manually record your results surely?
    Have you diabetes or pre-diabetes?

• posted by robin_dj
    on

Hi

Thanks for the reply, came to the same conclusion, brought a relatively cheap one from Amazon that came with more than enough test strips to get me through the 8 weeks

• posted by Ziggy
    on

Hi robin_dj

Just out of curiosity, how many strips did it come with?

• posted by AMB63
    on

Hi robin_dj

Which model of blood sugar monitor did you go for?

• posted by Ziggy
    on

Looking at Amazon it may be the Codefree Bllood Glucose Monitor which comes with 50 strips and a finger pricking unit. (Other Blood Glucose Monitors are available). Very good price. A few members in a forum for diabetics I belong to try it out and found it to be inaccurate, and looking at the one start reviews on Amazon,so did quite a few other people.

• posted by robin_dj
    on

Got it in one, seems to work fine and fifty strips will be more than enough for the 8 weeks

• posted by Ziggy
    on

Let us know how that monitor works for you Robin_dj please.

• posted by robin_dj
    on

Will do, seems fine so far.

• posted by Ziggy
    on

That’s good news robin_dj, cause using an inaccurate BG monitor is probably worse than using none at all.

So you have diabetes or prediabetes? Just wondered what your motivation was for embarking on The Blood Sugar Diet. Cause if you don’t have diabetes you won’t have to test so much as your body will have proper insulin responses to food intake. Of course if you are eating very very few carbs, even if you are diabetic your BGs won’t budge much with food intake.

• posted by robin_dj
    on

Not diabetic (or pre as far as I know) just need to lose some weight and I’ve seen several of Michael’s TV programs and he always seems to speak a lot of sense. Working so far. Down from 79kg to 73.5Kg in a couple of weeks. Aiming for 70 or a little below 10% of body weight seems a good target

• posted by Ziggy
    on

At the rate your going you’ll be there in another week. Wondered why you needed to check your BG levels since you are not ciabetic?

• posted by robin_dj
    on

Diabetes is in my family so worth a check

• posted by Ziggy
    on

No harm in checking, hope you don’t have it robin_dj !

• posted by Evadne
    on

I am using the BP Doctor Pro 15 smart watch, which has blood glucose monitoring. I use it for convenience because it can measure continuously.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Evadne, this is a very old thread. 2016 so no-one is using it. You might like to join one of the threads that appear at the top of the All Recent Topics where people are talking about lots of different things while trying to get into the new year swing of things.

Please log in or register to post a reply.