Began Today – Sunday 24 September 2017

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Froggy Ranger
    on

Start of day 6 and 3.9kg loss now.

Had a movie night with the kids yesterday, only succumbed to a little mini bit of their crisps and popcorn. 5 days of no alcohol as well! Might have crept towards 900 cals as only had 550 during day. Luckily I did a punishing spinning session which burnt nearly 700 cal.

Doodledootoo the important thing is that after your mini sandwich you were back on track with your evening meal. Well done.

Looking forward to fun but challenging weekend.

Stay strong fellow BSD’ers and let’s beat this.

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Good luck for the weekend everyone. I may not get a chance to post until Monday but I’m not going to allow that to be an excuse to go off the rails.

• posted by Doodledootoo
    on

Hi all
    Hope everyone’s having a good weekend.
    Day 5 for me.
    Had a planned late breakfast. Well brunch. Went to a lovely cafe in Strandhill Sligo called Shells if anyone’s ever in the area! It’s on the Atlantic coast. Beautiful.
    Had the full breakfast minus beans minus bread minus tomato. But I actually still had 2 eggs a sausage 2 bacon and some black and white pudding (very Irish). We then went for a lovely walk. The day was actually sunny and mild. No dinner as I’ve felt full all day. Just gave in to 2 crackers which have 3g of carbs each. Oh I just remembered I had a cider!! Oh dear.
    Good luck everyone. Hoping the scales moves in the right direction by day 7!

• posted by tigs
    on

Good effort all! Reading the posts on a wet Sunday after lunch as still hungry and need distracting. Being strong.

• posted by Spalmon
    on

Well after 2 awful days earlier in the week and getting properly back on track on Thursday, I’m so happy with the scales this morning, 79.6kg so I’m under the 80s and that’s 3.4kg gone in 15 days . I know the scales will probably go back up tomorrow as that’s a kg gone in 24 hours , but it’s good for the morale!
    So sticking to my plan today as I’ll be so sad if it goes above 80 again tomorrow!
    Happy Sunday everyone xx

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi all
    May I join you here, I see there are a few of you like myself a restarter, this must be about my 8 th restart, but have a different mindset this time. I started 27 Sep so today is day 5 for me, and the scales show a very inspiring 3.9 kilo loss. Ooh I love the science behind this plan, and so relieved I am sticking to it. Don’t recognise myself at the mo, perhaps I’ve been beamed up, and this is alien jan🐲
    Surprises along the way has been slowly nibbling 25g of 70% dark chocolate yesterday evening, wow what a taste revelation. Looking forward to next Saturday evening. My darling hubbie will guard the rest (yep that’s how bad I am,) until next sat.
    Tea later with my family, but have already prewarned my sister that I am on this eating plan for my health that I have to stick to, so will bring my own food. That went down fine, if I’d said the word diet, I would have been dissed. I wouldn’t have found one crumb of BSD friendly food there at all. 🍞πŸ₯–πŸ§€πŸ₯žπŸŽ‚πŸ°πŸ¦
    For myself planning is the way forward, expect the unexpected, then no unwanted calories will jump in my mouth. Ooh I pray I continue to be beamed up. Happy day everyone πŸ™‹πŸ˜ŠπŸ™‹πŸ˜ŠπŸ™‹

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Question
    The miso Esnecca is talking about, just wondering about the ingredients, I see a holland and Barrett one for ex. Is fermented rice ? Or do we avoid the rice ones. Anyone know

• posted by Banjoplucker
    on

Good Morning Everyone,

Into Day 8,, and kicking off with a spinach and raspberry shake to keep me going until brunchtime. I have come down by 4.8kg (10.6 lb in old money!), and have tipped below the 15 stone milestone, again! Pschologically, these weight milestones can act as a real morale-booster, or work the other way around as all of the restarters out there know. I promised myself this time last year that I wouldn’t see 15st again. Wrong!! Now that I am here again, I am focusing on getting into the clothes that I wore a year ago, and getting into good habits of recipe planning, and working out what I can do mid-week when I am away overnight with my job. I sing with a men’s chorus and I am determined to lose the belly by our next concert, since my “profile” was quite prominent during a local tv channel’s coverage of our last concert, and I want to stay on the front row!

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Bril work banjoplucker, I to am battling with pre goals, but hey that’s the past, we have today to enjoy, it’s all in the mindset isn’t it. πŸ™‹πŸ˜ŠπŸ™‹

• posted by Doodledootoo
    on

Welcome greenjanet

You’re in good company with the restarters including myself. Not sure about the miso soup. I’ve never had it. I reckon Esnecca will be able to answer or someone more knowledgeable than me.
    Day 6 for me – following med plan principles.
    Brunch: pancakes with Greek yog and berries. The pancakes are made with almond flour and cream cheese and are delicious.
    Dinner: I’ve just finished some chicken coated with coconut flour, parmesan and spices. Nice but a bit dry for my tastes. Had about 5 sweet potato wedges (still quite carby I know)
    Drinking lots of water.
    Weighed today. Down 2-3 pounds since Tuesday. Aim is to lose 1-2 each week so hopefully with the full 7 days gone I’ll be there or thereabouts.
    Well done all. We can do this!

• posted by Esnecca
    on

greenjanet, the fermentation process eats sugar so even the misos made from high carb products (eg, barley, brown rice, chickpeas, azuki beans) are low in carbs and sugar. A serving of one teaspoon of South River Organic Hearty Brown Rice miso has 1 g carbs, no sugar. They also have some versions that are naturally sweeter for people who can’t dig the funk and those have 2 g per tsp. My preferred brand, Ohsawa, sells the holy grail of low carb miso, organic soybean. It has a touch of roasted barley flour to feed the microorganisms during the two years it will spend fermenting before it’s ready to sell. The end-product has just .5 of carb per tsp.

All of these nice stats come from fully fermented, unpasteurized organic misos. There is a big difference between the probiotic-rich traditional product and the kind you find in regular stores. Read the ingredients and nutritional panel before you buy because I’ve seen some terrible carb and sugar figures in the more readily available mass-market varieties, and they also lose the wonderful gut biome advantages of fermentation when they’re pasteurized.

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi Esnecca
    Great info thanks, will have a look into that.
    πŸ™‹πŸ˜ƒπŸ™‹

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Morning all
    How’s it going day 6 for me and a unbelievable 4.4kilo down, at the mo loving the feeling of being in control. Just need to be mindful of obstacles to this, so my mantra of 24 in 12 is now 20 in 12.
    For anyone reading this who like myself has failed miserably many times to get restarted, please don’t pre judge yourself if I can get re motivated and stick to it then absolutely any one can, I am absolutely the worlds weakest willed person.
    I’ve discovered it’s waiting for the right timing, dive in and hold your breath until the appetite is under control, and the monster is in the cupboard, and my appetite monster is definitely the biggest.🐘🐘🐘🐲🐲🐲
    So feeling very nervous that the real fat me I have lived with for 39 years will explode out of me and take over this mindful BSD friendly Jan.
    Here goes day 6 woo hoo
    πŸ™‹πŸ˜ƒπŸ™‹

• posted by Banjoplucker
    on

Monday morning and a bit scatty and I’ll-prepared. I managed to cook-up some eggs and salmon Iaw the 2nd week of the recipe plan, but it’s 3 way hummus for lunch and I haven’t managed to make it at home, beforehand. I might invest in a cheap Wilko blender set to keep at work, or maybe go for something with feta, instead, to use last week’s leftovers. Flexibility is key, I reckon.

on

Morning, Day 8 and a weekend gain meaning overall loss of 3.1kg . Saturday evening and all day yesterday the wheels came off resulting in a 0.8kg gain. Was to be expected as I was at 2 parties and I just can’t say no to food when it’s on offer on plates around me. Good news is no alcohol for a week now. I’m back at work now where I can control things much better so not too upset!

No brekkie and veg soup for lunch. Back on track!

Keep up the good effort all.

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Hey everyone – sounds like great results there. Well done everyone.

I’m in 2 threads so excuse the identical update in both:

Week 2 ended: I lost 2.6lbs this week. A lot less than I hoped but I don’t suppose the weekend helped as though I kept low on carbs I massively exceeded calorie count as staying with relatives who just don’t ‘get it’ and would have been offended if I had ordered a started for my main. Plus I had a large glass of wine on the Saturday.

Week 3 – With the exception of a work dinner tonight at a Japanese restaurant, there is no reason I can’t stay on diet all day. Not sure how tonight will go but I am planning on eating very little prior to the dinner which hopefully will mean I don’t go too over tonight. I just don’t know what to order. I can’t find a menu online so can’t plan for what I might be able to eat. Anyone eat Japanese regularly who might be able to give me a steer?

• posted by Doodledootoo
    on

Hey all

Great to see all the updates with the downward movements. I think we’ve got this!
    So I managed to accidentally have 2 glasses of wine last night so put 1 lb back on. However I’m still down overall for the week so that’s good enough for me.
    I had berries and yogurt with seed granola type thing ( I make myself). Also a few bits of pineapple. Then for dinner I had meat balls with a lovely homemade tomato sauce and cauliflower mash. Was very tasty.
    Keep the focus everyone!

• posted by Banjoplucker
    on

Hotel breakfast this morning. Over-dosed on protein…2 poached eggs, couple of bit of ham, some mackerel and a slice of cheese. Finished with melon and yoghurt! Avoided the pastries and orange juice. Keep it up, everyone!

on

Well done Banjoplucker, always hard to resist hotel breakfast temptations!

Morning of Day 11 and have lost 4.3 kilos so am happily back on track after the weekend blip.

More hurdles to overcome though, off to a new posh Indian restaurant this evening and then business trip away tomorrow and Friday. Haven’t had a drink since I started this diet but tomorrow evening I will be in a pub all evening for a retirement party, not really sure what to do!

Any suggestions? I’m known as someone who likes a drink so there will be peer pressure as well as temptation.

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Hello everyone – hope it is all going well.

I had a largely naughty week. Went over every day from too much cheese mainly and two days had tons of chocolate covered rice cakes. Bad Shanshu!!

This week I’m back on the exercise regime and determined to be good.

Total loss after 3 weeks = 11lbs. Not great but it’s still a downward trend. Probably won’t meet my Oct 28th target (another 11lb to lose) but I should get close.

Good luck with the week.

• posted by Banjoplucker
    on

Hi Everyone,

Over 15lb off in as many days! Getting to grips with a few more of the recipes, such as the Skinny Chilli, and the Courgetti Prawns, which I had tonight, with my wife stealing the other half of the pan!

Keep it going!

• posted by Shanshu
    on

That’s brilliant – well done.

I love courgetti πŸ™‚

on

Well done Banjoplucker, good chipping away!

I’ve had a tough few days but slowly creeping lower. 5kg in 17 days so pretty happy.

• posted by Banjoplucker
    on

Chipping away, is the right description. Looking at a pound most days, or a downward trend each day, at least. Following the meal plan when I can, interspersed with leftovers from the weekend family meals for 8, of course.

Getting involved with the Facebook group and have noticed a Mediterranean diet group to join, once my 8 week’s are up. This forum is a lot less intense, to be fair, so I will keep a foot in both camps!

• posted by Shanshu
    on

I must admit – it’s much harder this time around. However this week is going so much better so hopefully I’ve cracked it.

Yesterday I did a 40 min aerobic workout and kept to calories. It helps to eat nice food and last night I ate seafood saganaki which I’ve adapted to fit on diet and tastes lovely.

I only managed 7000 steps though but seeing as I was working from home that’s better than normal.

Today has been difficult due to an early morning meeting but managed to get an egg and spinach protein pot from M&S eventually. I should have calories left for a decent salad for lunch and still have Hungarian goulash for dinner.

• posted by Banjoplucker
    on

I have, today, just edged past the 10% threshold! I hit a slight plateau, earlier in the week, but now appear to be pushing through into week 6,this coming Sunday. I have put a small website together to map my progress, which should be ready over the weekend; a bit of fun!

Please log in or register to post a reply.