Balancing exercise and calories with MyFitnessPal

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Chookymama
    on

New here so forgive me if this is already out there.

I am a keen cyclist however am 2 stones overweight. I regularly burn more than 1000 calories on a bike ride and am concerned that if I am only eating 800 calories per day then this is going to impact upon my health and I will keel over!

I have used My Fitness Pal app for the last three years. Since using it I have put on 10kg which I now intend to lose with this new lifestyle choice. Whenever I exercise the calories are added into MyFitnessPal. Should I take any notice of this or if my 200 calories burned on a walk should be discounted and I purely eat 800 calories??

I have done 800 calories for the past two days and I have lost 2kgs already which is cracking news. However I don’t want to get on my bike and run out of steam! Please anybody out there let me know if this is an issue for you?

Many thanks

• posted by Avila
    on

The general vibe is not to count calories burned as extra to eat – we are putting nutrient calories in and burning off stored reserves, since not offering quick carbs and sugars from diet.

However if you are exercising on your bike rides to a higher level then listen to your own body about extra food – but avoid the sugar /carb options. You will find your own balance. A lot of people here are going from less to more exercise on the 800 calories and finding it easier to do exercise.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

First of all you should not be adding calories if you want the full effect of the BSD. Secondly, let your body tell you if you are doing too much. I swim twice daily for around 40 mins each time but unfortunately I cannot do it on this diet. You do not say if you are diabetic. I am, so it is important that I do not go hypo, if you are not diabetic you might just feel a bit weak or more tired. For the first 2 weeks I could only do a little exercise so was swimming for 20 mins each time. I now have the timing down to a fine art. I don’t exercise when I have not eaten for a few hours. I have my meal, rest for half an hour then exercise, although I must say I have not managed to get back to 40 minute sessions. I also save some of my calories so I can have a snack within the 800 so, for example, today I had a meal that should have included pistachio nuts but I left them to one side to eat later.

If you are doing this just to lose weight then maybe there is a compromise you can make which allows to eat a little more in order to continue with the exercise. There is advise about exercise on the FAQ’s. I know people here like the MyFitnessPal but any machine bought for the mass market is bound to be inaccurate.

• posted by Chookymama
    on

Thanks – very helpful. I am guessing that I will curb the exercise for a couple of weeks and just stick to my regular dog walking and swimming. I am doing this just for weight loss so am being careful not to be too extreme.

• posted by Chookymama
    on

Many thanks – am aware of listening to my body and have bought some small bags of nuts to take with me just in case. Sound advice – thank you.

• posted by Lump
    on

Hi Chookymama

How’s it going? I am a keen cyclist too. I have also just started running. I had a great run yesterday, a bit longer than usual for me, about 5 miles and I’m so exhausted today. I wondered if it is the low calories. Otherwise I am living the diet and finding it surprisingly easy. Hope it’s going well for you too.

• posted by Mariet
    on

Have reported the above post.

on

Mariet, I am not understanding why you should report this post, it is just asking about calories burnt during exercise and whether BSD allows us to up our calories to compensate. Not only that, the post is over a year old. Please explain,

• posted by Esnecca
    on

The post she report was left by a spammer who bumped a bunch of threads the other night. The mods deleted all of its posts so now it looks like Mariet is talking to Lump when it was actually the post right after Lump’s. I reported the spammer too, so I noticed at the time.

on

AAh I see now. There has been someone putting links to things like mobile phone sites and other electrical goods. But on the subject of spammers be careful out there peeps. I am receiving at least 4 emails a day from various sources saying my order has been delayed and I should click on the link (what order???) or that my Amazon account has been blocked and I have to follow a link to change my password. I sent that one to Amazon spam stoppers site and it wasn’t from them – who would have guessed 🙂

Anyway, with people doing a lot of online shopping at this time of year the internet is rife with scammers – so check and double check any emails and dont ever click on links. You can always go direct to the site using their official address and check things out there.

• posted by Mariet
    on

I should have made it more clear! I didn’t realise the post would be deleted without trace like that 🙂

on

That’s ok Mariet, explanation is fine

Please log in or register to post a reply.