Are you allowed yeast drink such as Bovril or Marmite?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by liveinhope
    on

I sometime put a tsp of Marmite in a mug and have that as a substitute for Tea or Coffee; especially with this cold and wet weather. Really warming. Thoughts please?

• posted by snackerlady
    on

SOUNDS NICE!! Not sure if it’s allowed but I can’t see why not 🙂

• posted by Pat.Unlimited
    on

Last night I was still really hungry after tea and thought I’d have an Oxo drink – was horrified I didn’t have any! Marmite hadn’t occurred to me before, so I looked on the label. I thought it said one teaspoon was 35 calories or something according to the jar, so I had a cup of tea instead.

Maybe I was reading it wrong, though, as have just Googled this, and it seems 4g (not quite a teaspoon – and not loaded up) is 10 calories – this could easily double if you don’t let the excess run off the spoon first, though.

Slightly fewer calories in Bovril, but not enough to make a difference if one is preferred/available over the other. High in sodium however, but then so is Marmite.

Oxo has 15 calories per cube – seems higher put portion size easier to control. Also loads of sodium.

So, it’s the salt/sodium you need to look out for. In my case, a mug of tea is only about 20 cals as I only take a little milk and there’s no salt, so that’s another option to fill a hole in a warming way.

Please log in or register to post a reply.