Anyone else feeling the slump?!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Jersey123
    on

Day 2 started with my spinach and mushroom omelette and I feel grotty. Day 1 went well except I got caught out with the “serves 2” instruction for the Mediterranean salad – I thought I was a bit lucky!

Can’t get going this morning – stomach’s churning, no energy and feel sick. Going to Pilates soon and seeing a friend – will be the first test of a cuppa without something sweet. I’m hoping that a little diversion therapy will help me through until lunchtime.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Jersey123 – sounds like you have quite a bad case of ‘carb flu’. Be kind to yourself – rest as much as you can, take some pain killers if you need to and try to stick with the programme. For most people the ‘carb flu’ passes in a few days and then energy levels start to rise again. Remember hydration is really important, so when you think you’ve drunk enough, have an extra glass of water. It really helps with hunger, weight loss and keeping your system functioning well.

Make good use of the forum, there is a lot of wisdom here and lovely people who will give encouragement, support, advice and help you celebrate your successes too. It’s certainly kept me going – especially when the scales haven’t told me what I was hoping for!

Best of luck to you Jersey – hope you soon feel better and will soon be seeing positive results, which will help to spur you on for sure.

• posted by Jersey123
    on

Thanks SunnyB! I appreciate your encouragement. Is “carb flu” a real thing then?! I’m learning every day! X

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Yes, ‘carb flu’ is definitely a real thing and it’s as a result of your body going through withdrawal symptoms, when it is no longer getting the high level of carbs it was used to. It’s more dramatic for some than others and it’s important not to give in and feed the body’s demands for carbs. Stick with it and the symptoms will subside, Jersey.

• posted by Luckylil
    on

Hi Jersey123,

I’m currently 8 weeks in to the latest BSD online programme with (paid-for) http://www.thebloodsugardiet.com.au which is Dr. Mosely’s BSD programme, but with online support, menus, recipes and shopping lists. This has made it so much easier for me to embrace this new way of eating, and living, really.

It is most definitely explained in this programme that we are detoxifying our bodies, certainly during the first few days, weeks or month. And quite a few participants have related experiencing flu-like symptoms, such as you mention and SunnyB calls “carb flu”.

I didn’t get anything much in the beginning, but have had a couple of off-days around week 2 and 3. It’s hardly surprising when you think I have suddenly switched off my body from processed sugar, white flour, alcohol, etc. It must be thinking “WTF”? But it passes. And drinking a lot more water definitely helps. I bought a soda syphon and have replaced all my alcohol with fizzy soda water, loads of ice and lemon, or lime. (I can’t believe I just said that!). And there’s lots of other good tips for teas and drinks on this forum.

So HANG ON IN THERE. Your body will adjust, and you will definitely see positive changes.

And this forum helps enormously, too. There are some truly astonishing stories on here (Check out Esnecca. Sunshine Girl and others.) When you’re feeling a bit down, take some time and read back some of the older posts. It will give you new determination.
    Regards, Carole

Please log in or register to post a reply.