Anybody help with this query

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by chezza1961
    on

Hi All

I have been looking on the internet for low carb recipes. Ive come across one thats a tuna and avocado sale – its looks delicious. However the woman who thought of it and posted it says not to use Mayo as the avocado does he same job and fats are not good for you!! Im not convinced of that. I have lent my kindle to my niece to read the BSD so cant find the info I am looking for. Am I right that I can use Mayo – obviously not a full jar – but it can be used because I need to be taking fats as well as protein and few carbs.

I only use light Mayo if that helps.

Thanks

• posted by FiFiP
    on

Hi Chezza, I’m not a veteran on this site, but here goes.

One or 2 (?) of MM’s recipes use a tablespoon of mayo.

Full fat is better than a lite one, as low fat products typically add sugar to bulk them up.

When I’ve needed a dressing I have used a goodly dollop of Greek yoghurt, chopped chives & parsley, pepper & salt and a glug of balsamic vinegar all mixed together.

Alternatively you could add a tablespoon of Mayo to the Greek yoghurt if you are craving the consistency of a mayo as opposed to a dressing which I make.

• posted by SOS
    on

Hi, I’ve been using full fat mayo when I want it and it hasn’t hindered weight loss. I understand that any fat you use go for full fat everytime as the low or light versions have problematic fillers and additives that just aren’t good for us. Avocado is a very good fat food but might be high in calories.

• posted by Leeanne
    on

Hi, I’ve also been using Mayo (prob the most popular brand). I only use half a tablespoon and ensure I count the cals –
    104 cals per tablespoon. I sometimes go for salad cream instead which is only 52 cals per tablespoon. Both are full-fat.

• posted by chezza1961
    on

Thanks for your posts.

Fifip I unfortunately I dont lie yoghurt – it would be so much easier if I did. I didnt know that using a lite version of Mayo had sugars and Im supposed to be an educated woman! I noticed on TV over Easter that a top brand of Mayo are advertising an Olive Oil Mayo. Might have a look at that.

SOS & Leeanne thanks for that as I said I’ll have a look and new olive oil one and see what thats like – checking ingredients before though.

When I look at what everybody is eating I’m not sure how I managed to lose 8 stone although to be fair I never felt deprived. Thank goodness for Michael Mosley!!

• posted by FiFiP
    on

Shame you don’t like yoghurt Chezza, not even Greek Yoghurt, it’s strained so has a different taste & consistency to other types.

I’d have a look at a variety of different mayos, I use a full fat Maille one from France (it is available in the UK). I hope you find one that floats your boat, enjoy the salad!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

If you have a stick blender, it is really easy to make mayo for yourself – an egg, a little vinegar or lemon juice, a little seasoning and plenty of oil. At least that way, you will know for sure what is in your mayo.

Please log in or register to post a reply.