Another 4 weeks anyone? Tuesday 25th October

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by shalimar
    on

Verano πŸ™‚ HUGS

It is difficult to get back on track. Remind yourself of your goals … and than you can do it!!

• posted by Butterlover
    on

Hi All, After my improved effort yesterday,wt 84.3 and BGL 5.8 the best for a while
    .Started the day well, breakfast 2 eggs with cottage cheese.lunch, salad with 1 pork chop.afternoon. not so good lost my temper with the hubby and scoffed two chocolate biscuits,then the munching began.Finally stopped by going in the garden to pull weeds.dinner will be vegies with satay sauce.so not expecting any loss tomorrow. At least there are no more bickies in the house.hope you all are doing well,

• posted by Frog
    on

Morning everyone

My most amusing Doctor ever was about 25-30 years ago – I think she she was German or Austrian, a little bit shorter than me, and from memory, slightly rotund, but not huge (I was slimmer then too, probably a 14/16, but quite muscly because I did lots of gym & weights).

I think she was probably my GP for about 8 years, then I moved. Every time I went, she’d weigh me, then glare and say in a heavily accented and accusatory way “If I vas as heavy as you, I would be very very fat” Sometimes, definitely more than once, she’d insist on weighing me twice as she was convinced the scales were wrong.
    Made me laugh every time.

I wouldn’t worry about the carbs.net carbs thing too much – at this stage, we know enough to understand what is high in simple carbs, and as long as you avoid that, your diet is going to be pretty low carb overall (this is me in my “can’t be bothered to log it all phase!)
    Went to another event with canapes last night (not quite as nice as the week before). Another plate of carb detritus while I stuffed the cheese, salmon, etc.
    Then I bought a bar of divine chocolate on the way home (the dark chocolate with freeze dried raspberry one)

Also got a pot of pesto that looked really nice – yet to decide what to do with it.

Can anyone recommend a good grinder that will double up for coffee and spices/flaxseeds, etc? (I appreciate I’d need to clean it well between the two, or get to like very spicy coffee)
    I bought some berebere spices after the Ethiopian cookery course the other week, and they are very coarsely ground, and I want to try the bread recipe that calls for ground sunflower seeds.

• posted by shalimar
    on

I just have 2 electric grinders, 1 for each … i usually just buy the cheapest one.

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Hi Frog

It might sound daft but depending on the spices you’re grinding it may be worth just putting the coffee in afterwards. You can get a nice spicy coffee ideal for the colder weather. Stronger spices are probably the best. Cardamom is especially nice, but generally worth a stab.

I use an old Russell Hobbs grinder I paid a fiver for in a Currys sale aeons ago, it makes a hideous noise but still does the business.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Another day has passed and I am feeling so good in myself and about myself. I just love to come home and treat my body with care and respect.

Yesterday I ate
    760 calories – but I keep forgetting the milk in coffee (just 1 per day) so probably around 780
    Carbs 45
    Weight loss since Tuesday 900 grams or 0.9 kg or just under 2 lbs – will have to decide which weight I am using but my scales are in kilos.

Verano, it is hard to get back into it but give yourself 3 or 4 days of strictness, see and feel the difference and you are back in the saddle. Most of all don’t beat yourself up, big hugs from France.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi

Today going ok so far!! Thanks for the hugs !! I am revisiting my goals! Must keep my eye on the prize!

JulesM do you grind the whole cardamom pod or just the black seeds?? Just about to make a chickpea curry and I usually just bash them with a rolling pin! Grinding sounds far more civilised !!

Pesto … I had a nice recipe for caulifower mash with a teaspoon of so if pesto drizzled through it . Can’t help otherwise not to my taste really.

Well done on the 2lb loss sunshine-girl almost back to pre hols weight!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Verano
    As you are lighter than at your last review I am sure that your hba1c will be much lower – but it is nerve wracking waiting for that result.

Hope you have a good BSD day today.

My goal this week is to maintain my current weight or drop by only a quarter pound. Did 25 carbs 1058 cals and 14.7 fibre (mostly from chia seeds). I am feeling the benefit of all that fibre.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Sunshine-girl
    Great weight loss since Tuesday. Its lovely when the scales go down.

JulesMaigret – I tried your aubergine bake for lunch today. It was lovely and husband liked it also.

He has only just realised that the BSD is not something I stop doing when I reach my goals. So when we go shopping tomorrow he said that we will scour the supermarket for low carb veg that we haven’t tried before.
    He has been a great help – no biscuits, sweets, deserts, ice cream or cakes etc. in the house (he was a former carb addict – worse than I was)

He will still continue to make his own bread and have potatoes at some meals – but I can cope with that. He now has a taste for dark chocolate so the house is relatively BSD friendly.

When we have family up he said that we won’t get deserts but instead we will have yoghurt, friut and cream if they want something sweet after meals. So a bit less temptation in the house – hopefully the visitors will be ok with that.

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi Butterlover,

Ditto to all that I am at week 18 and keep swerving of the plan, too much life probs getting in the way, I am working my way back to that lovely feeling of when we are in control and loosing, and feeling great. Let’s go for it.

πŸ€—πŸ€—πŸ€—

• posted by Natalie
    on

KrysiaD I’ve tried serving yoghurt with fruit for dessert to visitors, I think it’s lovely, some liked it the others were polite but you could tell they were wondering where the sugar was!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Natalie – yes I was wondering how they would react. I did have some Tesco finest biscuits hidden away at the back of a cupboard from pre- BSD days which I thought I would bring out for anyone who felt sugar deprived.

Unfortunately husband – after being so good and eating mainly BSD – bought a chicken pie for himself from our local butcher as a special treat for dinner tonight and he also made chips for himself. That really set off his carb cravings and he found the hidden biscuits. He did well though to stop at one.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Krysia

I served a rhubarb fool with Greek yogurt, 500g mixed with a little vanilla bean paste and 50g of icing sugar, and nobody noticed it wasn’t cream! They were surprised when I said it was yogurt! The sugar has 10g carbs to 10 g of sugar but it serves 4 and you could use less sugar to taste.

A better day for me yesterday so almost back on track. Today will be better still!

Have a good day!

• posted by Snoop
    on

Two steps forward, one step back. At least it’s more forwards than back. Too much fat yesterday and definitely not enough fibre (7.3 g according to Fat Secret). Badly balanced as I did lunch and OH did supper.

Today’s weigh-in
    82.1 kg / +100 g
    Yesterday’s food
    915 calories / 50 carbs

Hope you guys have a great day today.

• posted by loopylou
    on

Hi Verano. Just keep going. i too found it really hard to get back on plan . I had a week off on holiday in August and when I came back it took me nearly a week to get back in to it. I kept starting the day with oh so good intentions but by about 3 o clock Id have a carb craving attack, but then suddenly one day my head was in the zone again.

HiJan, great to see you are still around. i thought you had disappeared but I guess with all your family stuff you just get here when you can.

Have been really good since the flapjack incident (flapjack gate) but am sill plateauing which is really frustrating. However, I’m blaming it on the cocodamol which have blocked me up (known side effect). Ive stopped taking them and am trying to rely just on ibuprofen. It highlights the lack of fibre in my diet too, although this is not usually a problem for me (if you know what I mean). I am hoping once things normalise there, I will shed pounds in one go! (Too much information?)

Well done Snoop and SunshineGirl with the weight loss.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Verano – thank you for the desert recipe – I copy all suggestions onto word and save them in a BSD folder on my PC so I don’t lose them.

Loopylou – I had an issue with ‘transit time’ recently and it does stall weight loss. Cocodamol is well known for causing problems in this area. Hopefully the ibuprofen working on the pain issue.

I did 29g carbs,1185 calories and a massive 17g fibre – mostly due to the chia seeds. As it is half term this week I am not likely to lose any weight as I have upped my calories from the 800. I have done over 10K steps each day – which I am happy with.

We went shopping at 7am this morning and managed to find a vegetable we had never tried before – sapphire. Apparently it goes well with fish or in a stir fry. I caught husband looking longingly at the Magnum ice creams in the freezer cabinet – but he managed to resist buying them.

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

God bless predictive text.

Samphire is lovely with a bit of Dover sole just grilled or fried in a little butter.

Sapphire might be a bit crunchy πŸ˜‰

on

Good afternoon folks, another successful day yesterday. Lovely food and feeling good.

Yesterday I had
    760 calories – seems to be around my norm
    45 carbs, still under 50 without even measuring so that takes away the stress
    blood glucose 6.1, higher than normal but it went up when I got back home, maybe anything bad or sweet I had has just kicked in as I have been 6.6, then 6.3 and now 6.1. I have gone back to 28 units of insulin and will keep it there for a couple more days and then start knocking it down.
    Weight loss since Tuesday 1.1 kg or 2.5 lbs – a happy bunny

I’ve told you about the family member who offered me fish and chips, because they eat a lot of fish in the Mediterannean, don’t they. Bless. The hotel where I specified no chips and they brought me a bowl on the side just in case I changed my mind, nod nod wink wink!!!!

Then there was the hotel restaurant, I ordered a handmade burger with manchego cheese, tomato and bacon which came in a brioche bun (ugh sweet bun) and chips. I said no bun, no chips and extra salad. This massive brioche bun arrived with a massive burger and a bucket (trendy right now) of chips. I said to the young man serving, that looks lovely but it is not what I ordered, he said that is okay your salad is on its way. I swiftly sent him away to get me another plate minus the bun and chips. Our waitress was very apologetic and said the chef thought it must have been a mistake so gave me everything anyway. I told the girl I have an endocrine problem which effects my digestion. I said it wouldn’t kill me but it would make me very ill and that I would love to eat it and would not have been able to resist it if it was on my plate. My husband of all people, cross with him, said ‘you are an adult why not just choose not to eat it’ I said, yes I am an adult and I chose not to order it. It is so hard to get people to understand.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

JulesMaigret – yes it was samphire – not quite as expensive or crunchy as sapphire!

It was lovely with the sea bass tonight. It is great trying new foods. Look forward to trying it with Dover sole.

Sunshine-girl – it is very annoying when you don’t get what you ordered. When we were on holiday in August the hotels we stayed at were very good at making my meals BSD friendly. Although whenever I eat out now I always have to make sure that they do not give me huge mountains of vegetables in place of the starchy carbs. Although I love them I just cannot eat vast amounts of vegetables with my meals. I think I am full with much smaller amounts of food now.

I might have made a mistake with my chia seed order from Amazon which came this afternoon. I thought it a good idea to order a 2kg bag but didn’t take into account the fact that the seeds are so light you get an absolutely enormous bag of chia seeds for 2kg.

Thank goodness the use by date is December 2018 and they come in a strong resealable bag.

• posted by loopylou
    on

Haha. I did that with psyllium powder. I have an enormous bag.

• posted by Snoop
    on

Today’s weigh-in
    81.6 kg / -500 g
    Yesterday’s food
    881 calories / 66 carbs
    13 fibre

Carbs high because of a ridiculous yogurt. Didn’t know how sweet it was till I had the first spoonful. Not eating any more of those, but sadly that means OH will undoubtedly finish the packet (he bought them on special offer). Am trying to get him to read packets, especially of yogurts. Even he was a bit shocked at 17.4 g sugars. Plus, I made lentil soup for supper to up fibre intake.

Bound to have an upward blip tomorrow because of today’s drop. But I’ll take it in my stride. Haven’t been this weight for 12 years, and even then it was only for a week or two due to one of my on-off, on-off attempts at dieting.

• posted by loopylou
    on

Hi everyone
    Sunshine Girl, your food stories make me chuckle. Well done Snoop on the weight. We are similar. I’m 80.2 kg today. I’m glad to say the constipating effects of the cocodamol have worn off and I lost over a pound. Whoop whoop. My back is so much better too.
    However, I have my hotel afternoon tea this afternoon for a friend’s birthday. I have decided there is nothing I can do about this. I can’t go down Frog’s carb detritus route (can you imagine me picking the fruit out of a small fruit tart or the cheese out of finger sandwich at a smart hotel) and not to eat would be too socially awkward (there’s only 4 of us going), also I might drown in compensatory tea. So I am just going to go for it and spend the next few days catching up. It’s a shame really as I feel really on track but life is designed to throw obstacles in your path and the plan does have to have some leeway to fit in with ordinary life!

• posted by Frog
    on

labels – frustrating that the traffic lights on the system on the front don’t include carbs, but getting husband to focus on high sugar contents on those might be an easier start than the detail on the back!

I love samphire – I have yet to find a fish that it doesn’t go well with!
    My favourite is to steam it, then add butter

I have 500g of berbere spices, which should keep me going for a while!
    I thought I was ordering 250g – still a lot, but it was well reviewed on Amazon, and v cheap – when it turned up it was 2 packs of 250g, then my friend that came with me to the Ethiopian cookery class (whom I’d planned to give half to) had found some in a supermarket.
    It’s the same teacher for the Diabetic class as the Ethiopian one, so I’ll probably give the spare bag to her – it is in a sealed airtight bag, but I suspect it would be past its best if/when I got on to pack number two!

on

Hi all, Loopylou, glad you enjoyed them, they were mean’t to be funny stories, although some people have taken it that I was cross about it, obviously people who don’t know me. I think it is hilarious and gives me something to write about.

How are you all doing today. I nearly had a dickie fit when I saw my calories for yesterday, then realised I had put ‘a stick of butter’ thinking it was a small curl or pat, turned out to be 815 calories, blooming American sites. Anyway, drum roll please, here are the results from the French sector:-

Total calories 890 – chia seeds and avocado have bumped that up, but what the chia seeds have done have probably lost me weight -ta dah.
    Total carbs 48
    Blood glucose 6.2 or 113 – still a little higher than I would like so sticking with 28 units of insulin
    Weight loss this week 1.4 kgs or 3lbs – must be good over the weekend. I am going to chant ‘no wine, no wine, no wine’. Think it will help.

Have a good day ya’all. Keep on keeping on……

• posted by Snoop
    on

loopylou, what you want is what I’ve decided to call “January-thinking”. My theory is this: people who are better at maintaining their weight than I am make an effort in January to lose the extra lbs/kgs they put on during the festive season. I’m trying to adopt the same approach whenever I fall off the wagon for whatever reason. We’re all doing the same, but somehow it seems more positive to say “January-thinking” rather than feeling like I’ve gone backwards and have to make up for my sins. Whatever your approach, enjoy the tea. You could always have lots of cucumber sandwiches! And I’ll have the cream meringue, thank you!

Glad to hear the cocodamol effects have worn off. I bet your pound is more than my 500 g – I wish I hadn’t written that. It’s a bit too definite, as the scales could easily have rounded down a bit.

Edited to add: Wow! Sunshine-girl, that’s amazing. I keep reading about the wonders of chia seeds. I can’t eat psyllium husk because I have digestive tract problems and assume chia seeds will be the same. Maybe I need to find out more. I definitely need more fibre in my diet.

on

Snoop, log onto http://www.mendosa.com, he does a whole section on chia seeds, the true, the myths etc etc. One myth, some people are charging more for ‘organic’ chia seeds. There is no such thing, the seeds are self cleansing and give out a substance that deters it being attacked by anything so no need to use chemicals as it looks after itself. Organic implies no chemicals have been used but with chia seeds there is no need for them. Fascinating reading. I will be having them regulary.

• posted by Snoop
    on

Thanks, sunshine-girl. I’ll take a look right now.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hi Sunshine-girl. I never realised that there was no need to buy organic. I have just bought organic.

Am really enjoying them. Had more soup today and thickened it again with the seeds and for breakfast put them in the kefir to thicken it. The first time I tried it I didn’t like it but this time I did and it did make the kefir more substantial especially as I put a teaspoon of double cream on top.

• posted by loopylou
    on

I have heard they are good for thickening casseroles etc without using flour but haven’t actually tried it but I did used to put them in my morning smoothie before I started BSD.

• posted by Snoop
    on

Hi sunshine-girl, I’ve confirmed I can’t eat chia, as I have oesophageal problems. That’s a shame because they really do sound fantastic.

Today’s weigh-in is so unlikely I’m tempted not to record it, but that would be cheating. Sooner or later, I’m bound to get an upward blip.
    1090 calories/62 carbs/16 fibre
    Unplanned meal in the evening… and wine… shouldn’t have had either.

• posted by loopylou
    on

Well, I went out for afternoon tea yesterday and very lovely it was too. However my appetite has definately changed.i only had one of my two scones and only 2 mini patisserie. πŸ˜‡. I did enjoy a bramble mojoto though.
    This was all I ate all day apart from 2 cold heck sausages last night and today I am a pound lighter! Go figure. I will be back on track today. I only have to lose 7/8 pound to hit my 2 stone loss.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Woke up this morning with a serious food craving – for mushrooms and spinach. Slightly weird – nobody ever has cravings for mushrooms and spinach. So did a stir fry of mushrooms, spinach and samphire topped with 2 poached eggs – lovely and very filling. Then I had Kefir and chia seeds and coffee so am really full now.

Loopylou – you did well yesterday. I agree – we cannot eat as much as before as our appetites have changed.

Yesterday I began to worry that history would repeat itself and I would just pile the weight back on as I have done after every diet in the past.

This morning I feel much more upbeat. No one who wakes up in the morning craving mushrooms and spinach is suddenly going to put on loads of weight. The BSD has somehow retrained my appetite towards healthy foods which no other diet has in the past.

• posted by Natalie
    on

KrysiaD tonight I was chopping broccoli to go with dinner and realised how much I was looking forward to it!

• posted by loopylou
    on

Well done Krysia. Your breakfast sounds lovely. I am sure you will keep your new trim body as this is not do much a diet as s new way of eating.

on

Hi all, yesterday I had
    800 calories – I managed to resist the wine but had a bacardi and diet lemonade, so that doesn’t count – okay it does
    35 carbs
    No weight loss so still 3lbs down. Silly girl, if I had just resisted the bacardi it could have been a bit more. I won’t say lesson learned because I never do.

Bit of an eye opener yesterday. After a wonderful dinner of lamb tagine (cooked by hubby) he asked if I would like some cheese and I said yes, and it suddenly struck me that on previous diets I would have said no because we all know cheese is fattening and bad for you etc etc. I realised that this diet is not restricting what I eat, it is restricting certain foods but opening up a whole world of new tastes of things I would never allow myself. I love this diet – must stop calling it a diet.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Sunshine-girl
    Yes – isn’t it wonderful that this diet (or way of eating) has opened up a whole world of new tastes. I would never in a million years have added garlic and herb cream cheese to tinned salmon. Now I absolutely love it – although it has taken a little while to lose the guilty feeling that perhaps I shouldn’t be eating it.

Yesterday 1245 calories ad 28 carbs. Although weight is static this week my clothes are getting baggier so I am still losing inches. As it is half term I have been more relaxed about the calories but from Monday will drop to 1000/1100 rather than going up to around 1245 calories.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi everyone hope your weekend was good.

Had my diabetic review this morning. Ok , so my cholesterol is much the same 4.5 was 4.8 six months ago and 4.5 before that. So really pleased because I’m not on any medication. Similarly my bp is ok. Weight …. down 9kg …. lovely … nurse ‘you have lost a bit have you been trying’!!!

Hba1c …. down …. from 44 to 37, in old money 6.4 to 5.5 yippppeeeeee!!! I’m really pleased with that and she asked if I was still taking metformin which I am. Problem is I hadn’t realised how far my levels had come down last time! So now in the non-diabetic range.

Nurse … ‘ are you following a good diabetic diet?’ Me….. ‘ well er, I’m not eating any simple carbohydrates …. reply …. well you do need some carbs for energy. My reply …. no response . At 9 am in the morning I wasn’t in the mood for an in depth discussion but next time!!!!!!

Anyway, I guess I have to say THIS WORKS!!!!!

• posted by Snoop
    on

Congratulations, Verano! What great news for you. What happens to the Metformin now?

• posted by loopylou
    on

Verano that’s fantastic news. Well done.

on

Well done Verano, maybe next time you can explain to your nurse the difference between simple and complex carbs, they don’t seem to realise how many carbs are in fruit and veg. I have had a naughty weekend, with the bacardi on Saturday and a couple of vodka tonics last night but, as I have said before, if this is my life plan I am not going to make myself miserable. That’s how ‘diets’ fail.

Still lost 3lbs since Tuesday – weigh in tomorrow and Zumba tonight
    Calories 940, way over but that was the vodka
    Carbs 62, will remind myself not to have half a tin of baked beans with my Sunday brunch – hubbies choice
    Got round to doing some exercise but just a 40 minute walk.

All fired up and raring to go so keeping on keeping on…….

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Woo hoo Verano is normal πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰ so great to be in a normal range, delighted for you, did she say to stop the metformin now you are no longer type two

• posted by Verano
    on

Thank you!

Good question Snoop…. don’t know really. I am planning on carrying on with the metformin until my next review in six months but if I do manage to lose a substantial amount of weight I will ask for some blood tests earlier. Jan she didn’t mention coming of the pills!

You know sunshine-girl I would probably have said something but my nurse isn’t the most receptive and at 9am on a Monday I just didn’t feel like getting into it!!

You’ve lost 3lbs that’s great and maybe even more by tomorrow after Zumba! But you’re so right this way of eating won’t fail because it’s not a diet and we can incorporate our own ‘treats’ into this lifestyle. I’ve put on maybe 4 or 5lbs this last two weeks but I’m not upset by that as I’ve been ‘living my life’!! Back to the grindstone today and it will be gone soon!

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Well done sunshine -girl on your losses πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘and Verano yes Monday is another day, yesterday is gone and tomorrow hasn’t arrived so today is a good one 😊😊😊

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Verano
    What fantastic news. What a wonderful achievement. 37 is totally non-diabetic. Did you do a happy dance all the way home?

I amazed that the nurse didn’t find out how you achieved your result so she could help her other patients to achieve the same.

Still we are trailblazers and I think that soon there will be so many of us that all specialist diabetes doctors and nurses will have heard of Professor Taylor’ research.

Well done Sunshine-girl on your weight loss. You are right about this is our life plan and it has to fit into our life.

• posted by Verano
    on

Thanks Krysia but you know I don’t seem to feel any euphoria at all. Not sure why but maybe because the nurse just reacted as though my results were ‘usual’. She did ask me if I was still taking metformin but didn’t respond when I said yes.

My diabetes was diagnosed about 6 years ago after l’d been wheelchair bound for a few years ( not anymore) and had gained a lot of weight. I just accepted the diagnosis without question. When I look back I don’t think my Hba1c was ever more than 7.2 and on metformin it was usually around 6.8 or so. I had lost some weight before my last review, and before I’d discovered BSD, and so my last reading was 44 (6.4) but I didn’t realise that until today. Only now of course it’s much lower as you say ‘totally non-diabetic’!!!

I have checked my blood sugars on and off for the last couple of months and they seem pretty steady mid afternoon of around 5.2. Maybe I’ll monitor my afternoon bloods for a few weeks and if they stay stable speak to the doctor about coming off metformin.

For the moment I just need to concentrate on my weight and my blood sugars should sort themselves out!!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Verano – that definitely looks like the best way to go.

I think the nurse’s reaction wasn’t good which is a shame. She should have been very excited by your results. But maybe she was frantically trying to work out how you had done it without showing that she really didn’t have a clue as to how you achieved 37.

• posted by Butterlover
    on

HI All,Happy Halloween to those who celebrate it.
    Well done Verano, have you considered slowly reducing your Metformin and monitoring your BGL yourself.After all a lot of us are taking responsibility for our health by doing BSD.just a thought
    I’m still not doing so well. making excuses to myself and fighting the carb addiction. I had a birthday sunday lunch at my house and I made strawberry tiramisu,really enjoyed the process of finding a yummy recipe and creating something different to make it special
    As I have not allowed myself to do any dessert cooking for a long time.mainly we do BBQ meats and lots of salads,fresh fruits and icecream are easy to resist. Even wine as lost its attraction but cakes and pastries are my downfall and I m not able to settle for a small bite, I binge eat until its all gone.I have gained 1.5KG in a weekend and my Fasting BGL this morning was 8.9 mmol .So once again I will start again tomorrow, I do want to get a couple of weeks without another major breakdown.I don’t have anymore celebrations till christmas. so the goal is least 6kg off .

• posted by Frog
    on

Congratulations Verano, that’s brilliant, well done.
    Not β€˜totally non-diabetic’ – NORMAL πŸ™‚

Sod whether the nurse is excited or not! As your HbA1c is now in the normal range (and well inside the range, not on the border) why on earth didn’t the Nurse discuss the ongoing need – or not – for you to keep taking metformin? Surely that is the point of a diabetic review?!!
    You may recall that my diabetic review nurse wasn’t particularly helpful, but the GP was very enthusiastic when she called me to discuss something else. I’d already dropped metformin, so thankfully I wasn’t relying on the nurse for that.
    Why not make an appointment with your GP to discuss it?

I know I’ve waxed lyrical on many occasions about the benefits of getting online access to your NHS records, but it does help to see the results in advance of discussing them, so that you can be prepared with the questions you’d like answers to.

The Nutritionist who runs the diabetic cookery course had seen last weeks ITV program on “Can Your Diet Defeat Diabetes?” – sort of getting there! She was telling everyone today that Full fat dairy is better for them than reduced /no fat; definitely a shift from the start of the course.

• posted by Verano
    on

Frog thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

I don’t know why but I came home this morning feeling positively low …. you’d think I’d just had really bad results and they were going to up my medication!!!!! My ‘diabetic review’ was a complete waste of time they could have just emailed the results because I certainly didn’t get any helpful suggestions!!!

I did see my GP but only because the nurse couldn’t find the pulse in my feet, normal for me! Thinking about it I didn’t see the GP last time because my results were OK.

You are so right …. need results before we go. Sorry I know you’ve posted this in the past but can you please just repost how you get access to your records.

I do need to see my GP and I will make an appointment when I have access to my records and will then discuss my treatment. 12 months or so ago when they were talking about increasing my medication I certainly had their attention!!!

We take control of our own bodies and our own health care choices!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• posted by Verano
    on

Sorry Frog got disturbed … you really are getting through to the nutritionist …. may take a while longer but at least your going in the right direction !!!!!

Please log in or register to post a reply.