And so the conflict begins

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by theone
    on

Started the 800 calorie BS diet onto week 2. Seeing great results so far.
    Had an appointment to see diabetes educator and I was so excited to show her the amazing drop in BS readings.
    I arrive at my appointment with a very detailed diary of fasting BS then 2 hrs after breakfast, lunch, dinner and bedtime. I recorded everything I had eaten and the calories contained in each meal. Like a little child who has completed great work school I was waiting for my gold star lol ๐Ÿ™‚ .
    Sadly my educator started picking everything apart and told me “it’s the carb content I need to know not calories” !
    My heart started racing and my head spinning oh no here we go again ! I have finally found something that works for me (even adding other medications didn’t make a difference) and now this!
    She went on to say ” stick with this for a while then I will teach you how to eat” and “Once you start dropping weight you will feel motivated to continue”. To which I replied all my motivation is in the numbers I am recording everyday!!!!!
    My Mother is a wise woman and has on many occasions said “If you really want to know the truth go speak to someone who has suffered the same because they are the only ones who can give you true advice”. I know everyone is different but she is right.
    So I am sticking to what I am doing yesterday recorded my first 5.2 reading and my first fast reading of 7.2 ๐Ÿ™‚ I haven’t had reading this low in years!!!!!!!

• posted by Langerhans
    on

Oh how frustrating for you! It is okay to feel disappointed at not getting your gold stars. Here’s some from me – โญ๏ธโญ๏ธโญ๏ธ Hope you are doing your mindfulness – it does help in these situations.

Some health staff are open to this, some aren’t. It is what it is. You know this BSD is working for you and you have proof. You are the expert on your diabetes.

• posted by Verano
    on

This ‘new’ way of eating flies in the face of all the ‘established’ guidelines for diabetics. So there will be many people out there who haven’t caught up yet. Frustrating but true.

The science behind low carb eating just seems to make so much sense to me. Hopefully by the time she’s ready to ‘teach you how to eat’ she will have read the book!!!

Before I read BDS nobody had ever suggested low carb eating and I got the usual ….. if you need a biscuit have a ginger nut instead of a digestive! Now I know better!

Good luck with your journey!

• posted by Frog
    on

Have you heard the reports on radio 4 this morning about the benefits of the Mediterranean style diet on patients with heart problems, based on new Italian research that has just been published?

the idiot they chose to interview on The Today program said – “don’t just do this and ditch your medication without talking to your GP” – fair comment, & I can understand why the BBC would have someone say that – although a lot of us here would disagree with it.
    – then goes on to say “maybe try the diet, but supplement it with benecol products” I kid you not – advertising on the BBC – and for crap food that is stuffed full of sugars and artificial flavours.

Oh well, they seemed to have edited the benecol promo out of the clip that they are repeating on the news bulletein

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

It is very hard.

Everyone here has had such good experiences from BSD no refined carb/low carb eating – with, generally speaking, few contra-indications or poor side effects – that it’s frustrating to hear “expert” opinions from people who’ve not done it.

I think we just have to press on – more and more research now being done/results announced, the tipping point will be reached.

MM (and his GP wife) will doubtless use stories from this forum and the vast majority of positive posts here to further emphasise the benefits and the numbers of the medical profession actually trying the BSD will increase.

And of course there is the “drip drip” effect of us all showing what can be done and inspiring family and friends and acquaintances to follow suit.

Yet another example, however, of how dangerous it is to take media reporting about anything as gospel. Frightening, really.

Come on BSD team of forum readers – if your GP/diabetic nurse won’t support you, we will! Won’t they feel stupid once the tide turns.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

I’ve made many comments on the forums about attitudes of health care professionals.

Only yesterday I was told that the local diabetes nurse advised someone that if they wanted a biscuit, to only have half, to watch sugar content, and to avoid tomatoes! I appreciate the patient may have misheard of focused on a few of the things that were said. But this nurse has a copy if the BSD book and told me she so telling patients about it. Her attitude towards me has been variable, ranging from ‘that’s brilliant’ to ‘it’s not sustainable’ and all points inbetween.

A health educator, who also has discussed the BSD with me and had seen my progress, happily spoke to my ladies’ group about healthy eating – emphasising the need for carbs at every meal. Speaking the party line. I sat there cringing.

We are the experts on our bodies. Well done on sticking to it.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Theone, Next time you see your diabetic educator (now there’s a misnomer) show her a page printed from the Public Health Collaboration on Healthy Eating Guidelines and Weight Loss for the United Kingdom. The site is phcuk.org, an official government site for public health.
    Conclusion on page 24 said in 2008 “Evidence from this systematic review demonstrates that low-carbohydrate/high-protein diets are more effective at 6 months and are as effective, if not more, as low-fat diets in reducing weight and cardiovascular
    disease risk up to 1 year. More evidence and longer-term studies are needed to assessthe long-term cardiovascular benefits from the weight loss achieved using these diets.” That was in 2008
    Finally, in February 2016 the fourth specific analysis was published in the British Journal of Nutrition finding that “Compared with subjects on low-fat diets, subjects on low-carbohydrate diets experienced significantly greater weight loss, greater triglycerides
    reduction and greater increase in HDL-cholesterol after 6 months to 2 years of intervention.”

So between 2008 and 2016 the medical advice on nutrition has changed from thinking low carb might be a good idea to 2016 concluding it is a great idea. They go on to say that they are concerned that NICE are not taking up this advice and, in particular, still advocating high carb, low fat diets when it has been shown that low fat leads to fatter people. Apparently NICE are waiting for trial to end so phuk have carried out their own trials and their final final conclusion is:

In light of this scientific evidence the Public Health Collaboration recommends thatthe guidelines for weight loss in the UK should include an ad libitum low-carbohydrate-high-fat diet of real foods as an acceptable, effective and safe approach,

Sorry if that goes on a bit but it is quoted verbatim and I did not want to chop it about or be misleading. Print off the last few pages, give them to your educator and show her where to stick her advice. (Sorry, getting cross now, need a lie down)

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Thank you Sunshine-girl, great post

• posted by theone
    on

Thanks so much for the gold stars ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by theone
    on

Many thanks for all the positive feedback and support . Two years ago I was diagnosed with early stage breast cancer (this should have been picked up in a mamogram 4 years earlier but the system setup for early detection failed me). In the beginning I was told they were 99% sure it was cancer . Surgery lymph nodes removed and radiotherapy . Getting out of bed was a struggle blood sugars all over the place . I was sent off to a diabetic educator who told me to eat 6 rice crackers before bed to help with fasting BS :/ ……….. I do listen to my GP and Physcian but question and research everything myself . Now today is the first day in a very long time that I have energy . I have achieved so much today that I finally feel better than I have in years . So thank you MM and to you all for your kindness and support in fighting not only diabetes but the negative Nellie ‘s…. x

• posted by theone
    on

That should have read 99% sure it wasn’t cancer !

• posted by Frog
    on

glad to hear that your feeling so much better theone

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

theone, glad you are feeling better and hope the treatment is successful. Is there no end to the ails this diet can improve. You were given half good advise. Your blood sugar can spike during the night due to the body not detecting any food for several hours the liver pumps glycogen into the body (sugar). To counter that you should have a little snack before bed. My nutritionist told me to have a bowl of cereal so we have both been given bad advice. Now I have a slice of ham, a bit of chicken, or tuna on a ryvita. Not sure if the ryvita is allowed but it is once in a blue moon.

Please log in or register to post a reply.