Am I missing something?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by GangreneHeart
    on

Hello. I started Fast 800 at the end of August. I’m about 10 lbs down, but I’m feeling like I’m missing something.
    It’s more than just eating 800 calories a day and removing breads, rice, and processed foods from your diet, right?
    Are there any people on myfitnesspal here? I would love someone to take a look at my diary and tell me where I can improve.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hey there GoodHeart – 10lb is an excellent start. I don’t personally use myfitnesspal – did start, but reverted to my spreadsheet method. Anyway, you don’t say why you think you might be missing something – what is it you think isn’t quite right? Sounds like you are avoiding all the things you should, so is there something you think maybe should be ditched, or is it that you think you need to add something in? If you could give some detail, I’ll do my best to offer some advice.

• posted by GangreneHeart
    on

Well… I guess I feel like this because I read this was supposed to be based on the Mediterranean diet, but it seems like I’m just saying the same food I did before, just without the breads and such.

Are there specific foods I should try to add into my diet? Does not amount of carbs not matter if I’m only getting them from fruits and vegetables? It is plant based, right, so should I reduce the amount of meat I eat? What about condiments? How essential is olive oil?

Here is my planned menu today.
    Breakfast : egg with green onion, spinach, turkey sausage, mushrooms, and salsa
    Lunch : chicken with broccoli and carrots
    Dinner : chicken with zucchini, mini peppers, and celery
    Snack one : tofu with peppers, celery, mushrooms
    Snack two : apple and clementine

My totals are 800 calories, 85 carbs, 21 fat, 80 protein, 43 sugar, 26 fiber.

Some days my fruits switch to frozen strawberries and blueberries. My snack one is often almonds instead.

So is this sort of menu alright?

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Okay, I’m now understanding what you are getting at. Yes carbs do matter and that means that you have to take into account those from all sources and reduce them where you can, so cutting down on things like root veggies and opting for green leafy and above ground veg – even things like tomatoes and onions can be surprisingly high in carbs. When it comes to fruit, berried are a much better option that apples and clementines, which are both high in carbs.

Try to pull your total carbs down to 50g or less and bring those attributed to sugar as low as you can. Good fats are important as these help with feeling sated and staying feeling that way for longer, so nuts, seeds, olive oil etc. are important. You’d be better to swap a couple of teaspoons of full fat yogurt and a few chopped nuts or seeds and maybe a few berries, for the apple and clementine. Condiments are okay to use, but watch out for carbs in those too – dressing veg or salad with lemon juice and olive oil is very tasty and for almost no carbs.

There is not a huge amount of meat in the sample menu you supplied, so I don’t think you need worry about eating too much. Really, I think you just need to concentrate on lower the carb intake at the moment and it will only take a little tweaking to achieve that.

Hope this helps ….

Please log in or register to post a reply.