Alternatives to cooking for yourself

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Fr0d0
    on

About 2 weeks in now and still not cooked anything. Chopped up salad regularly if that counts. Found plenty of sources of suitable foods tho and I think those should be shared more.

Soups are an easy one to begin with. Can be cheap too. Plenty of very low carb choices with a wide variety of flavours.

Supermarkets all seem to package leafy salads that can be enlivened with sparse use of condiments. Some add chicken strips etc.. Olives and jalapenos add some sparkle.

Lidl have added a range of friendly frozen meals that tick all of the boxes.

I’m really enjoying the food and would encourage anyone who’s like me, not a cook.

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Hi Frodo, you don’t have to be “a cook” to cook! I would really look at carbs in the frozen/ready meals: I was amazed. Eggs: boiled, scrambled, or in the same pan (pref non-stick), just not stirring, a mini omelette. Tonight I had roasted broccoli and salmon with fresh pesto. One small ovenproof dish (lined with greaseproof paper – minimal washing up). Delicious and easy. And I would rather cook a couple of chicken thighs or breasts from fresh than have precooked strips from whenever. Or: Small saucepan, bit of oil, spoonful or so of curry paste, cook for a minute or so, add cooked prawns, some coconut milk, heat through, put on a plate, in the same pan wilt a bag of baby spinach. Mix. Enjoy. Five minutes, one pan, one plate, scrummy!

• posted by Fr0d0
    on

I do look at the carbs in frozen meals. Less than 10 grams and I’ve got another meal to go with 40 grams to spare…

Soups are worse at 20 grams, but that’s still easily manageable in a day.

Omlette I can manage, sure. Boiled and scrambled eggs no problem. Just got to unbox the induction hob and find a pan…

I don’t call that cooking tho. Salmon/ any fish.. I’d love to know how.

I’d rather buy cooked than poison myself ๐Ÿ˜

I don’t have an oven. I have a halogen air fryer thing.

I also have a microwave. Apparently it’s all you need to cook anything.

• posted by Fr0d0
    on

Day 2. Not much time for lunch so again in having to add to dinner to make up the calories. Seems like I’m struggling to eat enough! Who’d have thought!

• posted by Fr0d0
    on

Hello fellow skeletons

I thought I’d pop in and annoy you all again. I hope you’re all well.

Just watched my dream video on 3 junk foods that you can eat on keto. Yes exactly.. My cup of tea!! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜

1. Pork scratchings!
    2. Dark chocolate
    3. Mayonnaise

Pork scratchings… Who’d have thought. Love pork scratchings.

I lost almost exactly 4 stones in 3 months. Have been on a break for a few weeks and currently contemplating which way to go next.. 5/2 or 800 16/8 or maybe omad. I prefer routine/ I’m a simple soul so it’s looking like one of the latter.

Take care of yourselves
    Mark

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Frodo/Mark! That is fantastic! It is so good to hear from you, and with such fantastic results! So, what was the thing that did it for you? An oven…?Well done you. Do keep in touch with the forum!

• posted by Fr0d0
    on

There’s no need for that kind of language 6. Oven indeed!! Pfft. The very thought!!
    No my kitchen remains oven-less (if you don’t count the microwave – it’s not seen much use either tbh).
    I regularly have soup middle of the day. Some fruit. Prepared salads. Varied quite a bit. Not counted calories but kept it below 1k at least.
    Men.
    Huh.

Please log in or register to post a reply.