Advice PLEASE

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Sunshine24
    on

Hi

I started the 8 week programme on 26 September and lost amazingly- at first!
    Week 1 – 7.5 lb down yeah
    Week 2 – 4.5 lb down yeah
    Week 3 – 2.0 lb down yeah
    Week 4 – zero Boo
    And there it has stuck! Boo Hiss
    I seem to be putting on a pound and then losing that pound!

I’ve not changed anything, other than getting stricter as I became more knowledgeable- such as I was having between 50 – 70g of carbs, so now generally go below 50g and tend to have about 1000 calories, BUT I am active at least 5 days a week – I either swim (45 lengths) or go to the gym (and burn off about 400 calls) plus walk at least 45 mins a day too! I log EVERYTHING using MFP. I’ve even tried replicating my first two weeks of eating.

I’m nearly 58 and I’m beginning to think this is it now – 1 was 14.12 on 28/8/16 and did SW to get down to 14.8 (26/9) and now I’m 13.8 doing the BSD. I’ve measured myself but since week 4 these figures haven’t changed either.

I’ve always been constipated and now that’s worse too. I have to take 2 x senna daily but I still don’t ‘go’ every day – I drink at least 2 litres of fluid daily (2 cups of decade tea, herbal tea or water).

Any ideas of what I can do to get it moving again

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Sunshine24 – how frustrating for you! I know it won’t be comforting to hear you are not alone, but plateaux are very common on the BSD – despite doing everything right, nothing seems to happen. I have experienced this frustration myself, so know how disheartening it can be.

For me, increasing hydration and dropping the carb intake got things moving again, but reading your info, I doubt this would help in your case. It could be worth trying dropping your calories down to nearer the 800 per day level – that would lower your weekly intake by 1400, so should have some impact. Also, make sure you have enough fat in your meal plan, as this helps you feel full, stay feeling full for longer and helps to kick start the fat burning process. I know it is counter intuitive, but it does seem to help.

On the constipation front, I have found increasing fibre with inulin and adding chia seed to my morning yogurt helps. I find if I take senna too regularly, my body seems to develop a resistance, where as if I use it occasionally, it produces the required result. Don’t think I have ever been regular, but find that the chia and inulin does help my bowel function more regularly.

Don’t know if any of the above will be of help, but I hope you start to see positive results again soon. Try to look for the big positive to date – you are a whole stone lighter than you were four weeks ago. Try to refocus, renew your effort and be kind to yourself. It will happen, just stick with it ….. good luck!

• posted by Sunshine24
    on

Thank you SunnyB for your response.

I was beginning to think the same about senna so for the past 2 days I have been taking Apple Cider Vinegar with Baking Soda but will try the Inulin (I’d never heard of that!) and chia seeds and start having full fat yogurt in the morning (I currently have nothing until Lunchtime). I’ll also try to get down to 800 calories – do you think that as I’ve not been down to 800 calories I can continue on beyond the 8 weeks??

According to MFP my pie chart shows, I’m having approximately 35-40% each of Protein/Fats and only 15-20% Carbs now but at the start it was very equal portions of all three.

I won’t go back to eating Carbs as I like that my body doesn’t bloat up any more the way it did prior to starting this way of life and just hope it starts shifting as losing weight is bringing down my High Blood Pressure and that needs to continue.

Once again thanks so much for your response.

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi
    I take senna occasionally and do find it useful – but it does say on the packets I’ve used that you shouldn’t take it every day – I’m not sure if there is any particularly dangerous about it, but as suggested, I think your body acclimatises to it, so it has less effect.
    One of the benefits claimed for drinking lemon juice regularly was aiding digestive problems including constipation – I posted a link about an hour ago.
    Someone was posting yesterday about oat fibre (read the post, very different to regular oats or oat bran) – sadly difficult to locate in the UK, but there are some online options.

Use the search box (top right hand corner) to locate earlier threads and discussions on constipation – there have been lots! (You’re not alone!)
    I found that with BSD, because I’ve stopped eating industrial quantities of very seedy bread (I used to love Vogels) that even with the increased vegetable consumption, my intake of fibre my intake of fibre dropped significantly.

the other thing for me was very low salt intake
    Maybe also increase your liquids from two litres and aim for three

• posted by Sunshine24
    on

Thanks Frog – even as I speak (type), I’m checking earlier threads in between work!!! I think working and sitting in one place for 10 hours on a Sunday does not agree with me either – drinking copious amount of lemon and ginger herbal tea, followed by half pint of water!! I’m tending to be over my sodium level of MFP so was thinking I’d have to cut that back too. I obviously need to get in some fibre too

• posted by SunnyB
    on

You could try Bioglans Fibre Boost, which is a combination of oat and rice fibre and inulin – can be added to smoothies, yogurt etc. The other tip someone gave me, was to take Magnesium (Epsom Salts) for constipation. Can’t say it was a great success for me, but we’re all different, so it might help you.

Many people have gone beyond – far beyond – the 8wks on the Fast 800 regime – check out the treads from captainlynn, who is one of the most inspirational and impressive stories on here. Be careful dropping your sodium intake too much, as with drinking more comes greater elimination. Would say if you are only slightly over carry on as you are.

• posted by Sunshine24
    on

Thank you SunnyB for all your help and advice. I’ve ordered the Inulin and will have a look for the Fibre Boost too. Onwards and Downwards one hopes!!!

Please log in or register to post a reply.