Advice needed

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Taita
    on

Ive started the BSD today. My goal is to be diabetes free. my doctor refuses to monitor me (can’t explain why) so any suggestions for monitoring would be gratefully received.

• posted by Verano
    on

I assume you are in the UK and you mean the doctor won’t give you more regular blood tests than at the usual 6 month intervals. Unfortunately the NHS only pays doctors to review your diabetic status every 6 months unless you are having problems. You give very little information about your diabetes ….. is it T2, are your taking medication etc.etc. Some people use a blood glucose monitor but this is really a very arbitrary measure as so many things can lead to spikes in blood sugar, unless of course you are taking insulin.

Maybe you should just ask your doctor for the results of your last, or last couple of HbA1c ( 3 month average) test as this is the only reliable test. Just follow the guidelines of BSD and be patient and I’m sure at your next HbA1c test you will see an improvement. There is plenty of advice on these boards so have a good read and just stay off the refined carbs and you should be fine. This is a way of life for anyone with diabetes, not a cure, and refined carbs can no longer figure in our lives to any great extent. Good luck!

• posted by Michael Rolls
    on

In 6 months of following the general principles of the BSD, including the first 8 weeks keeping very strictly to it, my HbA1c reading dropped from 75 to 40 – the biggest improvement the nurse had ever seen achieved just by diet and exercise. It does work.
    Mike

• posted by Trainmaster
    on

I had major problems with my GP too- am nearly 70 and have been diabetic type 2 for over 10 years- and first heard about the BSD and other work about three years ago- was told it was in the too difficult box- was threatened with insulin this spring, and when I refused was told I could try this but can’t get support from my surgery. Started it anyway, in particular the no carb whatsoever- and my hba1c plummeted from 9 to 6.2 in 3 months- reduced my gliclacide and it is still reducing, to 6.0 a week ago and BUPA medics said I could shortly be considered in remission if I kept it up. After the first 2 weeks I didn’t miss carbs and have been off fizzy drinks for 10 years, including diet ones, and found my hunger reduced substantially between meals the more I focused on protein. Am now looking at the HIT book to help reduce insulin further- intense exercise is no problem even at my age! It can be done and don’t be discouraged by medics saying they cant support you- you can find the will power to do it- my partner has been an amazing support in finding the right and interesting foods.

Please log in or register to post a reply.