800 calories – how strict is this?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by DawnieP
    on

Hello, my partner has prediabetes, so on 1st Oct we both commenced the 8 week blood sugar plan. I’m doing it with him for morale support and it will help me loose some unwanted pounds too.

I’m the cook, so we have the recipe book and are working this all the delicious food options.

My question relates to my partners calorie intake. He is 6ft3, not hugely over weight and working in construction, so his job is very physical. Given his circumstances, does he still need to stick to the 800 or is allowed more because of his very active job?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks DawnieP

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Welcome DawnieP – great that you are planning to make this change together and hopefully bring you both to a healthier and happier place. Have you read the Fast 800 book? It’s a while since I read it myself, but as I remember, Dr Michael Moseley was himself quite trim, but still with a high blood sugar level – what he described as TOFI, ‘thin on the outside, fat on the inside’. The idea of pulling the calories (and carbs) really low is to give the body a bit of a shock and rid the body of visceral fat (fats around the organs) quickly and by doing this lower blood sugar levels.

As your husband has a very physical job, I would suggest maybe taking a gradual approach to allow his body a bit longer to adjust, so in the first few days perhaps allow a few extra calories, but make these up chiefly with fats – nuts, seeds, oil dressing on salad/veg, a little cheese or perhaps a little cream in coffee and avoid extra carbs as much as possible. Ideally though, he should be aiming to get down to the 800 if he can. It’s all a steep learning curve for everyone and there’s no harm in being gentle with yourself in the first few days.

If you do a search using the box at the top right hand of the page, you will find previous posts, where people undertake strenuous exercise whilst on the 800, so it is possible to be very active on what appears to be a very limited calorie intake to no ill effect.

Best wishes to you both for great success and we’ll look forward to reading of your progress.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Some posters of similar physique and activity levels to your partner allowed themselves a little more overall calories, up to around 1000 I think, although still keeping carbs very low, they did successfully lose weight and reduce blood sugar by doing this. See if he is struggling first, it is better to keep control, and just have a little more calories than to jack it in totally or start ‘cheating’ with snacks.

Please log in or register to post a reply.