8 weeks just started…8lb down already!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Pollygarter
    on

Wehay! This works.

Having managed to put on about 2 stone these last couple of years I’ve been terrified at age 50 with a diabetic dad and older brother that I’m next.

Big bruv has reversed his diabetes with diet and exercise. I am prediabetic and been feeling more n more lethargic these last few months.

So I started. Last week. And went down 8lb in a week. Hungry less than I thought. Meals are scaling well so I can cook once for the family of teen kids and myself and just have a small portion.

8 lb! An old mate who is similar is doing it too at a distance.

On we go eh?

• posted by Sarahs999
    on

Well done you – that’s fantastic. Keep going!

• posted by Pollygarter
    on

Have tried all sorts of diets from the ritual humiliation and hard sell upselling tactics of group weight loss. I can never do that again after Little Britain. Dust anyone?!

I’ve fasted, calorie counted, gone ultra low fat in the 80s, green cabbage, slimfast, hypnosis, the list goes on! And the weight came off and went back on. So I know it will come off…it’s keeping it off which will be the thing. I think my focus needs to change from normalising to thinking I have a condition. And if I had asthma I would follow the regime prescribed or recommended for me to manage it.

I am so greedy , I suspect I was a labrador in a previous life. Seriously, even when I am on a healthy eating plan I eat portions which are far too large. I need to follow a regime for life to manage my labradoritis. Here goes.

• posted by Pollygarter
    on

So I’ve been following the regime carefully and weight loss is continuing. It was my brother’s wedding yesterday and i ate the main course as normal and it was delicious. Portion far too big for the diet of course. I drifted away from the table after the speeches and before the pudding with the smokers who went outside and I chose to stay there (though I don’t smoke) during the puddings so I would not be tempted. I drank soda with a chunk of lime and danced myself dizzy. Sure I overate by the standards of this diet but it was a high day. I am pleased with the balance I struck. Now I have to get back on the horse immediately.

I have lost 2″ off my waist already.

• posted by Bizibee
    on

To keep it off, take a leaf out the 5:2 dieters books. There are people on that site who’ve lost huge amounts of weight, were prediabetic, and are now maintaining well using either 6:1, or 5:2 with 800 cals on the 2 days. Also making sure their carbs don’t go up much, sticking to less than 100grams carbs, and maintaining fairly high fat. In other words, the Mediterranean diet..

You can do it!

• posted by Pollygarter
    on

Thanks Bizibee, will bear that in mind when I get to maintenance stage.

At the end of week 2 and I have lost another 3lb. Making 11lb so far. I am starving hungry today but have kept on it. Had a small piece of pork with homemade lentil n onion daal and greens. Delicious but tiny. I now need to keep out of the kitchen until tomorrow morning. I am quite tired tonight and definitely feeling a bit miserable about portion size. Stay out of the kitchen Polly! I have felt very good and energetic a lot of the time but not tonight. So it goes eh. Keeping out of the kitchen as I say is a must. I keep repeating it to hypnotise myself into actually doing it!

• posted by Pollygarter
    on

3 weeks in and one stone down. I am more used to portion size, generally energy levels are good and mood stable but I do get sudden lows when I feel tired or a bit ranty and cross. Walking, especially up stairs, is much easier and I feel good mostly. Onwards!

• posted by Pollygarter
    on

Well it’s many months on and I don’t know why I stopped updating here. I did finish my 8 weeks and I lost about 1.5 stone or 22 lb in total!

(I started out about 3 stone or 45lb overweight.)

Not only the weight loss and dropping two dress sizes, but my energy levels were up, my sleeping excellent, suppleness improved and life was good. Much easier and more fun to exercise. My thick head and lethargy were much improved.

But. But. But. I’m a sugar junkie. And I went away immediately on a summer holiday.

There’s no other way to explain it but that I have a complete addiction to sugar… as soon as I allow little slips and indulgences to creep in as I did when the eight weeks was over, I lose the plot. I kept trying to get back on the horse properly. Now some 5 months after I finished an 8 week plan, I have regained half a stone. Which I’m really pleased about. I don’t know about others but quite often in the past I have regained all the weight I lost in short order. So I haven’t this time. I have kept some of the lessons I learned but not enough. And the lethargy, stiffness and thick headedness are back after some Christmas excesses.

Time for another round. I have about 30lb or 2 stone excess I’d like to lose.

I have been winding up, pulling back on the sugar and getting ready. Tomorrow I start. Round 2. 8 weeks takes me to 6 March.

Good luck to anyone else out there who is underway or about to start.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Welcome back on the wagon, there are quite a few new starters this January, so you have plenty of company.

• posted by Pollygarter
    on

Thanks mixnmatch…Just going for a wander round the threads for inspiration…Hope things are going well for you.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Pretty good thanks, less than a stone to goal now, but taking it slower on a sort of 5:2 at the moment.

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Hi Pollygarter

Similar to you – did BSD800 diet successfully but let between 6 and 7 kilos creep back on in the latter part of the year. BUT, as you say, not all of it. At my heaviest I was 93.4, and got down to 79…. this week I have lost 2 kg (it was 3 the other day, but we all know weight fluctuates and I determined to use the figues on a weekly basis, even though I step on the scales daily).

Like you I have family with type 2 (in every generation we can remember, even those that weren’t overweight!) but am not diabetic myself. However, a random test recently showed blood sugar higher than it normally is for me, 5.9 (and that was a fasting one). So, I am very motivated to get this right and reverse the trend.

Am doing the #walk1000mile challenge – combo of walks and runs. Looking at these forums is the best inspiration though – it really helps to keep me on the wagon food-wise.

All the best with your journey to better health!

Julia

• posted by Mumofcrazynamedkids
    on

Hi Pollygarter, I’m 44, started last monday, and your experience is what I am worried about, I am not planning to do the whole 8 week fast, I am not type2 or even prediabetic, but I am 2.5 stone overweight (5’6″ starting weight 13 2 😱 heaviest weight not pregnant ever!) have now lost 8 pounds in first 6 days, feeling great, like you were at the beginning, nut know I have both plateaus ahead and then that age old issue of how do I cut back enough on carbs long term to not gain it back?

I love carbs, love food, love booze, love to entertain and bake cakes. So, I am hoping to do a sort of 2:5 initially strict 800 during the week, then just low carb no calorie restriction at the weekend, then after weight lost, low carb with 2 days carbs allowed (but not eating them for the sake of it, just dinner parties or social outings etc?) I don’t know. Worry about it all, don’t want the pain and then regain, but can’t imagine life without all the gastronomic delights!!!

Mocnk

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Mocnk – thing is, if you really stick with the Fast800, you will probably find your palette changes and all those high carb things you crave now, really won’t appeal anymore. I too love food and an alcoholic drink, entertaining friends and so on, but having been on the 800 on and off for almost a year, the cakes, sweet treats and alcohol isn’t so attractive anymore and I’m rarely tempted to consume them and even more rarely do I crave them. These days a small dram of whisky will sate an urge for alcohol and a cube of chocolate will deal with a yen for something sweet.

My advise – don’t panic about what happens later. Concentrate of sticking with the principles of the BSD for the 8wks and take it from there – you’ll be a different person by then, both in weight and taste and you won’t feel deprived.

• posted by Pollygarter
    on

I started a new thread for my latest round of the BSD. Am on day 3. Always the most difficult day of any change. Sunshine is helping!

• posted by Inka13
    on

Pollygarter, I liked your childbirth/smoking analogies, so true!! Wishing you much strength and determination, although it sounds like you are well in your way!! Hope today is easier for you xx

Please log in or register to post a reply.