7 Days … Pick a carb level … Tuesday 4th October

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Loopylou – that is absolutely the best thing to do. Forget about yesterdays figures and just start again today. We all have little blips from time to time.

Frog – that is an interesting concept. A poo diary. If I had been filling one in this week it would have gone very well. It is not always the case unfortunately. It would be good to find out why it has gone well so I could do it again. The only thing I did was to add my kefir in the morning when I eat my eggs. Maybe it helps. I will keep an eye on it.

• posted by Snoop
    on

Very funny, Frog. I have the same problem, compounded by medication that causes constipation. I’ve had to start taking it again, but am hoping to stop in a week or so. I might add notes to myself in my Fat Secret journal.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi All, today is my end of week weigh in and I have gone from 74.4 to 73.9, lost 0.5 kilo, yeeeeeeeees. and now under the 74 figure which was a mini goal. I have been counting all week and allowed myself 40 carbs but only actually reached that once, most days I was under and around 25 to 30, so I think the week before had struck a chord with me.

I wont be counting this week or joining another thread as I am going on holiday on Thursday, but fear not, I will be sticking to the low carbs. My daughter was doing her online shop last night for when we arrive and skyped me to ask what I wanted stocking up, so I am okay there. I have spoken to my husbands step-mother as she was worried about feeding me, so I told her about the diet and she said, oh that’s okay you just don’t eat rubbish. His sister, who is super fit (a mountaineer in Scotland) said, okay, you eat Mediterranean I can deal with that. So I should be okay at all stops along the way. We will be eating in restaurants on around 5 nights plus pub lunches whilst travelling between England and Scotland but I am okay with that, I just ditch the carbs and ask for extra salad or veg. On the down side there will be a lot of reunions, a new baby just arrived, catching up with a friend I havent seen for 11 years and, of course, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, with cocktails before and after, so a lot of toasting and drinking will take place and I make no apologies.

Frog, you are right about the French being over cautious. I had an incident of a problem in the UK and the doctor started with the simplest of treatments, then when that didn’t work went up to the next level, until in the end sent me for scans etc. It turned out I needed my gall bladder removing. As an ex nurse I had been telling them that from the start but I was put through months and months o pain, useless treatments and worries whereas a scan straight away would have seen the problem. I know, it is money. Here in France I went to the doctor with pain in my side and he sent me for a scan and ultra sound all in the same week. And I mean in the same week, saw doctor Monday, had scan etc on Thursday. You also have to remember that we pay to see our doctor, I pay to have my blood test, I pay if I see a cardiologist (like I did last week) so you get the best possible treatment quickly. Also paying means I am in control of my results, I get copies of everything. When I fist saw a gyneacologist here for routine smear (I had cancer a long time ago) she couldn’t understand why I didn’t have all my hospital records, smear results and copies of my mammograms. I have them here, and when I see my doctor for my diabetes test at the end of November I must also remember to take the copy of my EEG from the cardio and my mammogram films. When he has looked at them he will give them back to me, they are mine. You get back 70% of the cost from the equivalent of the NHS and you pay for insurance to cover the other 30%. In my case all my diabetic treatments are free, I pay, but I get back 100%. I like it and worry how I will adjust when we move back to UK, which I am sure we will eventually.

Krysia, that was clever of you to call your daughter ‘glucose’, was that auto correct or a freudian slip.

I am starting a thread called WHAT DID ‘YOUR’ DOCTOR SAY…… And will see what pops up, hope there will be a lot of positives.

• posted by Poppetini
    on

Frog – you have so made me laugh this morning, I’m with you on poo-logging (if you’ll pardon the pun), but to think there are others who’ve gone as far as to make the app is making me giggle.

Despite litres of water a day, spoonfuls of flax seeds (in water), lots of veggies … I’m really struggling with constipation. Like really, painfully, struggling.

All the advice given appears to assume that I’m in need of more water, more veg, more fibre … but honestly, I don’t think I could add in more without carbs. How are you doing?

on

P.S. Krysia, see you changed it, but I received it before you had a chance. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Morning all!

some great results I see on your low carb push!

Re poo
    Are you taking Magnesium? This is recommended as likely to be in deficit with lots of fluid, and I found that my poo issues (or digestive transit issues as they would have it in the ads – love the thought of an ad agency brainstorm about what to call it) resolved when I took some.

And Frog – can I ask you if you can remind me about the Waitrose low carb ice-cream or was it frozen yoghurt (not Oppo, the alternative) you mentioned some weeks ago? We love Oppo, particularly the salted caramel version, yum, but did you say there was another one – our local Waitrose hasn’t got it, and I can’t remember what it’s called.

Good to see all the new entrants, wish there were some ‘sticky’ posts with key points to remember at the top of the board, so that all the experience here could be found easily……always sad when someone asks about little weight loss in week x/y/z and does anyone else experience it……

Onwards and downwards guys, I’m still holding easily at my target weight. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Yes Sunshine-girl – it was auto correct. My tablet makes really funny corrections sometimes.

Do have a lovely holiday. It’s so good you have your food sorted and it will be lovely to relax with a glass of wine with your family.

I will definitely post on your new thread as soon as I have seen my doctor on 25th October. It will be so interesting and I am beginning to look forward to it.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi all

Glad everyone is doing so well.

See sunshine-girl everything comes to those who wait!! Well done on your loss could it be anything to do with Zumba?

Interesting reading about the differences between medical care here and in France. I think I prefer the French way it certainly seems to speed up the process. What happens to those people who don’t have insurance or is it mandatory?

on

Verano, in France if you work there is cover included by something you pay like national insurance based on salary. If you are very poor and on state benefits your medical care is free. As far as I know those only cover the 70% that would be reimbursed by the state, if you want to get more back you pay insurance. If you are young you might not expect to be ill so maybe not bother with 30% private top up insurance. So if you go to the doctor it costs 23 euros, you get 18 back so have to pay the other 5 yourself. Things are not expensive, the full cardio check up I had last week cost 96 euros and I get back 100% because it was because I am diabetic, if not I would get back about 60 euro. If I have full bloods done it costs about 28 euros with 21 refunded. If you can afford to pay up the other 36 or 7 euros you might not bother with insurance. Also, your private cover is based on age and state of health, we pay 100 euros a month because we are old, a 30 year old would pay around 20 euros a month. However, and here is the big BUT, if you end up in hospital and have an operation costing 10,000 euros and the state pays 7,000 could you afford the other 3,000 which is why lots of people opt for a cheaper policy covering just hospital costs. Also there are other costs in hospital, blood test, physio, anaethetics, bed and food. It sounds complicated but it works, however, the French health service is also on its knees, maybe because it over does the great care. There is no answer to growing costs of technology. Maybe I can convince them to give diabetics the French version of BSD. Now theres a thought.

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi all

I’m back again !!!!!!! Not caught up with all the missed emails, but read a few, well I am back on the bus good and proper now, as no 2 son has now had it confirmed he has come out of remission, but this time it is very treatable, he has this time T cell lymphoma, and only treatment reqd is light treatment, which keeps it is stasis, and he can have that locally doesn’t have to go to guys 3 times a week for the next few months. We really thought the worst, as he had stage 4 with a and b Hodgkin’s lymphoma 10 years ago, and was inches away from being dead. Guys has a research unit for this particular cancer, so we are so very fortunate. So now I have grieved, lived through a million scenarios, over the last three weeks, eaten carbs, like they were my best friend. I am back. So now one of the concerns is under control, my son can help keep his girlfriend safe and get her away from the area that her ex husband lives in, so that will solve concern 2 yeahhhhhh.

So now I am celebrating by rembracing being back in here, weighing in 100.5 kg today for me it’s end of week 13, since end of week eight have lost . 8 kg, hmmm such a waste of time, never mind I’m back on the bus. So total loss since started 15. 86 kilos.. My lowest weight so far was 99.1 kg so my interim goal now is 99kg so need to loose 1.5 kg. then next target 97 kg which takes me to 3 stone weight lost.

I know many have stopped this plan for various reasons, and I probably have lots of new people to get to know, but hi to whoever is reading this, and thankyou to those dear ones here who sent comforting words. They meant so much, and helped ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚

So now I’m of for a shower, then I’m going to dig in the freezers, get a weeks menu planned and do some shopping, and enjoy being in the BSD bus again. ๐Ÿ˜ฌ๐Ÿ˜ฌ๐Ÿ˜ฌ๐Ÿ˜ฌ๐Ÿ˜ฌ

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Right looking at Veranos daily posts re her eating for the day I am going to go public here myself everyday. For the first week, like my daily confessional. The moods I’ve been in lately could be very revealing. But sorry I think I have to do this to commit myself.
    So week 14 day one wt 100.5 kg aim this week to loose 2 kg stick to 800/50 a day.๐Ÿค๐Ÿค๐Ÿค๐Ÿค๐Ÿค

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Jan

Sorry to hear of your traumas. Life’s a bitch sometimes BUT you’ve come through so far and things are looking brighter for you and those around you.

You have done so well so far and only put on 1.5kg despite all your problems and worries which is really remarkable. I put on a similar amount during my holidays and it was at that point that I decided to do a 7 day reboot. I lost 6.5lbs that week!!!! The plan works, it’s just a case of sticking with it!

I think that quite a few of us have been finding the second 8 weeks difficult for many reasons. The novelty wears off, the enthusiasm wains and the prospect of many more weeks doesn’t help the mood. I’m in week 15 now so still have some time to make this 8 weeks count and you have even more time!

So … needing a reboot I started a 7 days, only 7 days! reboot, then we had 7 days, only 7 days! pick your carb level and now we have 7 days, only 7 days! add a little extra. I’m finding 7 day chunks better to cope with than 8week blocks. I think it’s helping with motivation etc. mind you when you read what I did last night you wouldn’t think so!!!!!

Anyway, come over and join us on ‘7 Days (3) ..add a little extra… Tuesday 11th October’ It’s only day 2 today, we are helping each other along and we are a small but committed group of 7 day wonders!!

• posted by Snoop
    on

Hello greenjanet, sorry to hear of all the troubles you and your family have had. Very glad, however, to hear that things are looking brighter for you all. A big cyber-hug and best wishes for the diet and all your other endeavours.

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi Verano

Thank you so much for your encouraging words, yep I’m in it now just need to bat away the carb monster for a few days then I will be good to go. Think I will have chicken with thyme and lentils for dinner .
    It’s interesting the flagging after week 8 perhaps the month in between each set of 8 may be a good idea as we all seem to have naturally done it anyway, anyway here’s to a good day huh ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi snoop
    Thank you for that very kind hope your day goes well ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Greenjanet – well done for ‘getting back on the wagon’. I can’t even begin to imagine how awful it has been for you while you were waiting to get the prognosis on your son’s illness.

I agree with Verano that it is brilliant that you have only put on 1.5kg with all that has been going on.

I bet the weight will fly off now.

on

Nice to see you back Greenjanet – but I have to say bye bye as I am going on holiday, will join back with you all soon.

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi KrysiaD and sunshine girl.

Yep all good, now, carb monster big, bad boy at the mo, so going to be a tough few days I think, but planning satisfying meals, to keep me focused, hope you have a lovely break sunshine girl. Onwards and downwards. ๐Ÿค๐Ÿค๐Ÿค๐Ÿ˜ฌ๐Ÿ˜ฌ๐Ÿ˜ฌ๐Ÿค๐Ÿค๐Ÿ™‚

Please log in or register to post a reply.