7 Days … Pick a carb level … Tuesday 4th October

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Frog
    on

Morning

not a good start, made tea and the milk had gone off. Yuk!
    Your lamb sounds lovely Krysia – I really like lamb, but don’t often cook it myself.
    I cooked the M&S dine in for £10 chicken yesterday -really nice, with a small potato because I can’t bear the thought of roast chicken without roast potato – and it wasn’t that good and I chucked most of it. Small glass of wine was nice though!

Verano – I’m sure you know enough now to make good choices when you’re away – enjoy

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Just done an experiment, took blood pre-breakfast 4.8 and again 2 hours later 6.6. Now to me 6.6 sounds good but I don’t really know what it means in terms of my diabetes. My husband has agreed to let me test him, pre-brekkie and 2 hours later so I can compare a non diabetic results with mine. He’s a star.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hi Sunshine-girl
    Your blood glucose is really improving. There seems to be some conflicting information about blood glucose levels. Diabetes.co.uk says that NICE recommends that non-diabtetic levels are as follows:
    before meals 4.0 to 5.9
    and at least 90 minutes after meals under 7.8 (Type 2 should be under 8.5).

But in Jenny Ruhl’s book she quotes some research done by Dr Christiansen on truly normal people (like your husband) as being 4.7 two hours after a meal. So your 6.6 would look very good to NICE. but of course we are aiming for truly normal.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Sunshine-girl – really good blood glucose figures. Your doctors will be really pleased and your Hba1c will be good.

Diabetes.co.uk say that NICE say that a non-diabetic is between 4.0 and 5.9 before meals and at least 90 minutes after meals is under 7.8 (a diabetic type 2 is under 8.5 ninety minutes after meals) so your figures are good.

Jenny Ruhl in her book says that there is research from a Dr Christiansen where he monitored truly normal people with continuous monitoring and they were 4.7 two hours after a meal. So your husbands reading of 4.0 is exceptionally normal and yours is actually fairly close to that number.

I have managed to get fairly close by doing a 15/20 minute fast walk after eating.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hi Sunshine-girl
    Your blood sugar looks really good. Your doctor will be really pleased and your hba1c will be very good.

Diabetes.co.uk report that NICE says that before meal figures for non-diabetics are 4.0 to 5.9 and 90 minutes after meals under 7.8. So you are well within th numbers for non-diabetics. (Type 2 guidelines are 90 minutes after food 8.5.)

Jenny Ruhl cites research by Dr Christiansen’s research on truly normal people shows 4.7 blood glucose 2 hours after a meal – so you are not far off. Your husband has truly normal figures and when your visceral fat completely goes so will you.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Having problems posting – am losing posts. Is anyone else?

• posted by Frog
    on

I did a while back, then it sorted itself – I have vague recollections of Tokyo and Luky having a spate of problems with it about two months ago,
    try logging out & back in 🙂

Something I did recently was click on “report post” rather than reply – I realised, and emailed tech support, it happens lots apparently.

Sunshine girl posted this recently “I think I have discovered the problem. If you make a comment and submit that is fine. To leave the thread, if you hit the back button (the arrow on the top of the page next to the https:/) you will lose your post as you have asked it to go back to where you were before. To leave the thread click on the ‘Forums’ button at the top of the page, it takes you back into the Forums obviously but you will not lose your post. Just my observation but I could be mistaken.”

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hi Sunshine-girl will try again to send this post. Your blood sugars are really good and well within NICE recommendations for non diabetics. They say no more than 7.8 ninety minutes after a meal. (8.5 for type 2 diabetics).

A Dr Christiansen has done continuous monitoring on what he says are truly normal people and he says truly normal is 4.7 after 2 hours. So your husband is truly truly normal and you are not far off.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Thank you Frog for the info. I was getting worried that I had somehow blocked myself from the forum. I typed the post to Sunshine-girl girl 4 times.

on

Krysia, they were my results, not my husbands. We haven’t done his yet. So mine at 6.6 are not quite there yet. I will let you know hubbies, will probably have to measure pre lunch as he is sure to tuck into his toast and marmalade before I get up, so forget to do it. I will let you know our results.

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Ah ha
    This is where you all are, wondered where you had all gone . Ooh dear, I fell of the back of the bus, and my carb monster dragged me of to a party with yowsers carb monster she was sulking because Yowser wouldn’t partake, of any carby food so the 3 of us eat it all. 😱😱😱😱😱😱 ooh I really miss that virtuous feeling you have when not partaking of the rubbish refined carbs. So I’m glued to this thread now. 😬😬😬

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Right I am recommitting here so going public, hehe nothing else to eat this eve and rekicking myself tomorrow, with a 800/40 day. I’m indulging in a bit of la strictly now, so will organize a weeks menu later.

Da da ddddd da da strictly tune. Yep she’s gone a bit bonkers. 😾😻🤖

• posted by loopylou
    on

I posted this morning but that seems to have gone into the ether too.
    Yesterday’s meal with friends was lovely but I was unable to stop at the 2 glasses of wine I had allowed myself. I Stopped counting how many glasses I had. Feeling a little hung over this morning and put on one and a quarter pounds. (Hoping it was eating late and the vino). Erring on the side of overestimation I think I had about 1500 cals but only 37g carb. On the plus side I declined the profiteroles.
    Have been ultra good today carbs 26, calories 650. Hope the scales will reward me in the morning.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Greenjanet – good luck on your re-boot tomorrow. I am sure you will do really well now you are back ‘on the wagon’.

Sorry Sunshine-girl – I miss-read your post on another thread that your husband was 4.0 two hours after breakfast. It will be really interesting to see what he is two hours after his tea and toast.

Your readings are actually not that far off from truly normal as per Dr Christiansen and are well within the NICE guidelines.

My Hba1c is due on the 25th October and it will be 7 weeks without insulin so I am veering between absolutely terrified at getting the results and being quite optimistic that they will be better than the 50 I was in March. Still – it will keep me on the straight and narrow until then.

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Loopulou – Had a few things I shouldn’t yesterday, but the amazing thing was that when I logged them, it was still all around 1000 calories, which is pretty low and half the general RDA! (and a fraction of what I’d have eaten pre BSD, even without cake treats, chocolate….)

Don’t worry about the forthcoming HbA1c Krysia, I’m sure it will be fine.
    Have you been feeling well since you stopped taking insulin?

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hi Frog and Loopylou – the BSD really does change things, it seems that we can’t eat as much as we did pre-BSD even if we fall off the wagon. Well done on declining the profiteroles Loopylou. In another life I adored profiteroles.

Frog – I have felt really well on coming off insulin apart from the first 3 weeks where my body went into hypo alert every time I dropped below 5.5. Which was quite a lot of the time. That has all calmed down now and all hypo alerts have switched off. My own insulin stops me spiking higher than 6.6/7.0 in that first hour after a meal whereas I often went up to 8 or 9 in that first hour when I was injecting insulin at meal times. So the BSD is really doing a great job getting rid of the visceral fat and helping my liver and pancreas to work. It is not working perfectly yet but I have high hopes it will keep improving as I lose weight.

Hopefully the Hba1c will be fairly close to the normal range.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Carbs yesterday 25 calories 829. Began to get sore throat yesterday and voice croaky so will cancel classes today. Usually I struggle in to work because I don’t want to let anyone down by cancelling but it usually means more time off because I end up completely losing my voice. Maybe I am beginning to get more sensible at 68.

Have been worried about my next hba1c but am not anymore. I dug out last year’s blood sugar monitoring diary and was horrified by the readings this time last year. Fasting levels 7.8, 8.2, 5.9, 6.5, 7.6, 8.5. That was on night time long acting insulin and short acting insulin with all meals and snacks. Now off all insulin and fasting is consistently between 4.5 and 4.8. So thank goodness for the BSD and this forum.

• posted by Verano
    on

DAY 7 OF 7

Can’t believe we’re at the end of another 7 day challenge!

Yesterday
    Calories 295 ….. yes!
    Carbs 10.6
    All sounding very, very low BUT …. then along came a piece of Victoria sponge!!!
    so….
    Calories 545
    Carbs 42.1 !!!
    Who would believe that an innocent small piece of cake could have 31.5 g of carbs!!!! Frightening. After logging that cake I was too shocked to eat anything else yesterday so a really unhealthy day food wise. But did lose … down another 1.6lbs!!

Loopylou you did yourself a real favour resisting the profiteroles!!

So all in all not the best of weekends for me or a few others. Best we can do is ‘learn’ and move on. I know I really do have to log all my food in the morning. The cake was one of those things that was hard to refuse. DD made said cake for OH’s birthday so would have been fatal to refuse! Was obviously fatal not to!!!

Krysia sounds like you may be worrying without cause. Your bloods sound really good especially without medication !!

Hi Jan glad you’ve found us!!! But this is the last day of this challenge!! I’m just about to start a new ‘7 Day’ thread for those who are happier taking one week at a time.

Well, last day! Hope you are all close to this weeks goals. I think I may just make mine as I’ve got 40 carbs left for today to give me an average for the week of within the 35g I was aiming for!

One last push … it’s only 1 day!! Have a good one

• posted by loopylou
    on

Hi

Krysia, I hope you feel better. Your blood results are amazing. I don’t think you need to worry about your forthcoming test.

Jan, how’s your reboot going? Mine was really successful. I lost 4.5 pounds I had put on plus another 3 . In one week. I am definately going to try to stick to 30g carbs next week. It seems to work for me even if my calories are sometimes a bit higher than 800. I seem like Krysia in that.

Are we sticking to this thread or going somewhere else ?

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi

Loopylou I’ve just started a new ‘7 Days’ thread … 7 Days(3) …’Add a little extra’ . Starts tomorrow as this one finished so for those needing the extra boost of a new 7 day challenge come on over!

• posted by loopylou
    on

Thanks Veranda for keeping us all on the straight and narrow!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Loopylou – well done on your reboot weight loss. Yes, I am the same – 30g carbs is the max I can eat and still lose weight. Am a bit envious of the majority of people on this forum who can eat 50g and easily lose weight, although it’s strange – the longer I stay below 30g the more effortless it becomes.

Verano – well done on your weight loss and your average carbs (even with the Victoria sponge) were well below 50g. I am so pleased you are continuing with the weekly challenge as it really helps me.

Was thinking this morning that if the NHS had given me the BSD book 4 1/2 years ago they would have saved heaps of money. All the insulin pens, test strips, lucentis injections for retinopathy (£800 an injection) and all the appointments at the eye clinic and diabetes clinic. In fact it looks like I have single handedly brought the NHS to its knees.

Of course all dieticians would have to be retrained so they could support us on the BSD – which would be an expense – but just think what that would save.

• posted by loopylou
    on

Ha Verano, just looked back at my previous post and see predictive text changed your name to Veranda! Sorry

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Krysia

If they gave all current diabetics, and the new ones in the pipeline , the book AND the recipe book and trained the nurses they’d still be quids in !!! The only problem is that you can take a horse to water etc.

When I was first diagnosed, which I think was 2009, I just put it to the back of my mind, kept taking the tablets and got on with life!! There was nothing wrong with me!!!!!

I don’t really think I thought much about it. A neighbour of ours, in our apartment block, did lose a few toes and then the lower part of his leg. We only saw him a few times a year so I guess it was a bit of’ ‘out of sight out of mind’.

Then a close friend of ours, wasn’t medically taking care of himself, developed a problem with a toe. He subsequently lost it. Even that didn’t really register with me!

We saw him In June and he was having problems with a second toe! I think that was maybe the catalyst for me. I’m not sure now how I found BSD but while I was away I decided to get the book. I spent the first days in July just not eating the obviously high carb stuff and then when I got back from holiday I started BSD proper on July 6th. The rest, as they say, is history!

So I suppose the ‘light’ has to go on before you do something about it. I’m sure that last weeks Panorama program will have made a few people sit up and take notice, but how many people will actively help themselves before they have real problems remains to be seen.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi loopylou …. I answer to almost anything … I hadn’t even noticed!!!!

on

Morning all, not had a successful weekend, weight back up to 74.4 but hey ho. Think I am already in a holiday frame of mind. However, I am still low carbing.

Did my little experiment this morning, took mine and my husbands b.g before breakfast. His 6.1 (111) mine 4.1 (74). 2 hours after eating his 6.7 (121) mine 5.7 (104). Looks like I am doing pretty well. He had toast and marmalade for brekkie and I had grilled mushroom, canned tomatoes and a poached egg. So that could make a difference. He is definately not diabetic but my numbers are better than his.

Zumba tonight, weigh in tomorrow. 🙂

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hi Verano
    You are right that the light has to go on before you do something about it. My story is similar to yours. All my energies were concentrated on religiously injecting the insulin to control my blood sugars – I didn’t look at improving my diet – I actually thought I had a healthy diet. Luckily a client came in with the BSD book and asked me if I would like to borrow it as she thought it would help me. The light still didn’t go on until realised that I had to do something about the retinopathy as I wasn’t getting good enough blood sugars with the insulin to prevent it getting worse.

I reversed the retinopathy and kept on with the BSD but never believed for a moment that I could reverse the diabetes and come of insulin. So it was a huge shock to suddenly realise I no longer needed to inject. I excitedly told a doctor at the eye clinic what had happened and how good the BSD was. He sternly told me that nothing I was doing would reverse the diabetes nor the retinopathy I would just get worse and worse and would have to accept it. How wrong can a doctor be!

Last week’s panorama was truly shocking and hopefully you are right and it will help a few more people do something about it. Hopefully soon the NHS will see the light.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi sunshine-girl that’s amazing. It really sounds like you have your bloods under control. That’s what it’s all about! Enjoy the Zumba tonight!

Krysia I think one of the problems, well certainly for me, is that I had no symptoms. I just had a routine blood test and hey presto I was declared to be a ‘diabetic’ . Because I couldn’t see anything or feel any difference I just stuck my head in the sand!

I hope your doctor at the eye clinic has to eat his words when you continue to live your ‘new’ life without insulin. Keep on going!

on

When I was diagnosed it was because I moved to France in 2005 and the doctor I signed on with insisted I have a full medical with total bloods. He also took my history. When I went back for the results he asked why I hadn’t told him I was diabetic, I said I wasn’t and he said, oh yes you are. Sent me for HBA2c again and it came in at 11.4. I had noticed I was thirsty but just thought (as a dieter) I had grown to love water, also I lost weight but thought that was because I was swimming every day. Anyway, I couldn’t get any dietary advice because my French was not good enough so he just used to show me pictures of baguettes and say, no, then of cured meats and say no, picture of a cake and say no. I did everything I could and lived on salads and homemade soup and my HBA1c was routinely down at 5.6 to 6.0, then I went to see the nutritionist who put me on 300 grams of carbs daily and everything went to hell until I realised I had to go back to doing it for myself. Not long after that I discovered BSD.

My mum was type 2 and she never tested, ate whatever she wanted, even had a Mars Bar every day because the doctor said she had to keep her b.g up (common advise for older people as they don’t want them comatose) and I just thought she was a faker and it wasn’t serious. Maybe because she didn’t take it seriously. Well, now I know better and wish I could go back and say sorry for thinking she was just a silly old woman. She died at 75 because her heart gave out on her, due to diabetes. That gives me 12 years left if I get to her age, no way, I want to live to be at least 85. Will I still be able to sing to my Lady Gaga CD in the old peoples home.

Just one more thing. Before coming to France I was constantly at the doctors for high BP and high cholesterol and I once suffered from depression (work related). About 6 months before moving I found a newspaper article about diabetes and recognised some of the symptoms so I went to the doctor. It was a locum who I had never seen before and he said, you had depression, you have it again and gave me tablets, which I didn’t take. I had my blood tested every 6 months for cholesterol, would it be too much for them to have checked me for diabetes considering my symptoms and family history. My French doctor said it was so high I had probably had it for years. End of story.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Sunshine-girl – excellent blood sugars. Absolutely true normal and a lot better than your husbands. Maybe nobody can eat a starchy carb breakfast like toast and marmalade and have a truly normal blood sugar. It does make you think that perhaps nobody should be eating starchy carbs as the main part of a meal even if they are not diabetic or pre-diabetic.

Hi Verano – I totally believed the the doctors that the only way to treat my diabetes was with medication and that I was doing really well – clearly not as I subsequently developed diabetic retinopathy. The doctor at the eye clinic will eat his words – hopefully I will see him again. But perhaps in a way he is right – if you follow NHS and NICE guidelines you will only get worse. I don’t think he could get his head round the BSD.

My hba1c test is in a couple of weeks – it will be an interesting appointment with the consultant afterwards.

on

Krysia, can’t wait to hear about your eye doctor visit and your next HBA1c. Mine is due at end of November so it will give me time to get over my holiday. Anyone else due a doctor’s visit, are you telling them about BSD, what is their reaction. We should have a thread, called What the Doctor Said.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Sunshine-girl
    After what the eye doctor said I did think I might just chicken out of telling the diabetic doctors that I was on the BSD at my next appointment – I absolutely hate confrontation and will do anything to avoid it. As I didn’t want them to think that the standard diabetic diet of starchy carbs had led to the weight loss I thought I would just say nothing and just say the weight loss just happened but I didn’t do anything to cause it. Very cowardly, I know. But when my friend pointed out that if I didn’t tell them about the BSD it would lead to a barrage of tests and scans to find out exactly what was causing the over 2stone weight loss I promptly changed my mind. Also, we owe it to other diabetics to show to the medics that the BSD does work. So I will go in with professor taylors notes for the professionals from this website and will report back on what happened.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Sunshine-girl
    Have just read your post. It is so sad that the medics didn’t pick up the diabetes earlier. I am sure that I had diabetes for years also before it was picked up. I also lost weight the 6 months before being diagnosed and also was thirsty and tired.

What scary advice the doctor gave your mum. They couldn’t have given worse advice. It makes you want to cry because it is so bad.

It is almost unbelievable that a doctor would diagnose depression and not diabetes.
    The nutritionist saying you must eat 300 carbs a day – that is almost criminal to advise that huge amount. No wonder your blood sugars shot through the roof.

This is such a catalogue of errors and it is played out every day all over the world. We are so lucky we found BSD – but there are so many others who are following blindly the current guidelines on diabetes – just like I did until 1st May this year.

I’m with you on the growing old disgracefully. My feeling is that we will be so healthy that we will not need to go into the old folks home. I am hoping to keep on working into my 80s – not as long hours as I am doing now, but to keep on working and enjoying life.

• posted by Verano
    on

My next appointment is October 31st and I’m just waiting to see what all my blood test results are. I’d lost a few kilos at my last review and the nurse did say ‘well done, keep going’. I’m almost certain she will ask me how I’ve lost this weight, maybe 10+kilos, and believe me I’ll tell her!!!! Yes, you should start a ‘What the doctor said’ thread sunshine-girl could be very interesting!

I’m just hoping my blood tests show an improvement in all areas. Although in saying that I really only have two areas of concern my Hba1c and my liver function test. My blood pressure and cholesterol are pretty normal. My total cholesterol has been 5.2 for as long as I can remember. Suddenly 12 months ago it dropped to 4.5 and then last May it was 4.8. I had started having low fat Greek yogurt and the doctor said some studies had indicated that low fat dairy helped to reduce cholesterol. Will be interesting to see if it’s gone any higher now I use full fat Total and butter!!! I’d forgotten how good an omelette is when cooked in butter!

on

Krysia, doctors are more worried about elderly diabetics going into a coma than suffering the future effects. There was a lady on here a few weeks ago who said her doctor wanted her bloods to run high to be safe because she was old (67) and I had a bit of a rant about that. I used to think my mum was lying (she exaggerated a lot) but I have seen the Mars Bar advice is common though usually it is to keep a MB in the fridge JUST IN CASE you go hypo, not to eat one every day like Mum did. She probably just misunderstood.

I finally went to a nutritionist here in France because I now speak the language and I was having lows in the afternoon, particularly after exercise, and wanted to know what I should eat. It seemed I was grabbing a quick sandwich, which went against trying to lose weight. The thinking was that if I had reasonably high glucose all the time, evenly though the day, I wouldn’t have any lows. That resulted in 5kg weight gain and bloods of 8.2 in 6 months. My doctor went mad and thought it was me, so I showed him my diet sheet and he said he didn’t eat as much as she told me to. It was 2 carb snacks per day plus carb with every meal. So I went from yog for breakfast, salad for lunch and soup for dinner (or spag bol at weekends) to cereal for B. salad and pasta for lunch, soup with bread for dinner and a bowl of cereal at bedtime. Help. Never mind, we have got it sorted now and even my doctor thinks this diet is great but he says he could never ask a French person to give up their baguette. I am giving a talk in my French class on my diet and have been doing some research. Strange fact, France has one of the worlds lowest overweight or obesity problems but higher rate of diabetes than the UK.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Sunshine-girl that is so strange that the French have a higher level of diabetes than in the UK when they are not so overweight and their diet is touted as being far superior to ours. A real puzzle.

Your nutritionist was truly bonkers – your diet before seeing him/her was really good. Do you think your lows were caused by any meds you were taking?

You have definitely found a good doctor who supports you on the BSD. It’s great that you are spreading the word on the BSD with your talk to your French class.

It is a shame that your mum got it wrong about the mars bar a day – a whopping 39.9 carbs a bar – but it is so easy to misunderstand or mis-hear advice. My diabetes clinic suggested keeping jellybabies for hypos and taking 4 to give you a 10g of carbs/sugar boost. Luckily I don’t like jellybabies.

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Just reading through some of your posts and see some are upping carbs. My husband and I are counting calories. What should I be counting I am a little bit confused!

• posted by loopylou
    on

Hi Fairyface
    Most of us count carbs and calories (easy to do with My Fitness Pal or Fat Secret) and try to stick to 800 calories and 50g carbs. Most people lose on those figures. Hope that helps.

on

Yes, the French rate of diabetes is only 1% higher but you would expect it to be lower as they have around 10% obesity we have 25%, and they have 15% overweight whereas we have 35% – don’t quote me, that is from memory. They eat a big baguette every day though not many potatoes or rice and pasta, they do like their gateaux.

I think my lows were caused because I didn’t eat enough of the right things, everything low calorie, low fat and salads made of lettuce, cucumber and tomatoes with a bit of chicken or tuna. They were also happening after maybe 50 minutes swimming and I just wanted to know what to eat, found out on here, 2 or 3 prunes and a couple of mouthsful of Greek yoghurt. Everything is fine now. All ready and off to Zumba.

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Thank you loophole. Just a week in for us on the diet so still working things out. Is it maximum 50 carbs a day?
    Just had a bit of a calorie shock as dinner tonight was over 5oo calories. Spanish Chicken out of the recipe book,(yummy)
    but we have been well below 800 calories over the weekend as we were really busy. So I suppose its swings and roundabouts!

• posted by loopylou
    on

Fairyface, The book doesn’t specify a set number of carbs and low carb is typically defined as anything form 20g -100g carb per day. However, most people seem to find that sticking to 50g per day leads to weight loss and better blood results. For some people its 70g, others its 30g. I guess it depends on your body but if I were you I would aim for about 50g.

Hope BSD is working well for you and good luck to you and your husband on your BSD journey.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Fairyface

I think it’s probably a good idea to check out the carbs certainly in the early stages. You don’t mention whether or not either of you have diabetes. If you have you really need to take care of the carbs.

Some fruits and vegetables are really surprising. For example a medium Apple has 19g carbs, a banana 27g and 100g of onions 10g. I had a small piece of Victoria sandwich yesterday, it was a birthday, it had only 250 calories but over 31g carbs almost my daily allowance!!! I’ve chosen 35g of carbs a day but as loopylou says 50g is usual.

It would probably be a good idea to check out your favourite things in a calorie/carb counter … you may be surprised!!!

Good luck!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Sunshine-girl – prunes and Greek yoghurt a great choice with lots of nutrients.

I hadn’t realised that the French like their gateaux so much and of course baguettes are really high carbs. Hope you enjoy your Zumba class tonight.

Fairyface – yes it is swings and roundabouts. Most people do well on maximum of 50g of carbs a day and it is fine if it averages out to that over the week. Some people find they need to keep carbs lower. Restricting carb levels does seem to be very important. I didn’t realise this at first and it took me 4 months to lose a stone then I lost a stone in one month by keeping carbs lower and logging everything I ate – which you are doing already so you have made a great start.

• posted by Fairyface
    on

loopy thanks for the information. I knew I had not seen information on how many carbs a day.
    Verano. We are not diabetic but I was very worried about the visceral fat I have and my weight has been going up by just over a stone a year! I have only had one apple since being on the diet and can honestly say I have eaten nothing except what I have made from the cookery book! Yesterday at a concert I bought a bottle of diet coke and only had a couple of mouthfuls. Thrown it away today:-) Go me!
    KrysiaD thank you also for the information and encouragement.

I can honestly say this diet seems to be reasonably easy for me but thats I am sure is with the help from my husband. We sit down together a couple of days a week and work out what we want to eat and then do the shopping. I also think the bank balance likes it because we are not eating a lot of meat!

• posted by Verano
    on

Fairyface you seem to have it organised and I think that’s the real secret. Having your husband on board and doing it together is a real bonus.

Best of luck!

• posted by Fairyface
    on

We are trying to be organised Verano. There is always something missing from a recipe :-/ But yes having my husband on board does make it easier.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi

Well yesterday’s figures are
    Calories 940
    Carbs 19.7g

My average for the seven days is
    Calories 829 slightly over my target
    Carbs 32.2 g so within the 35g

Loss this morning 0.2lb overall this week 3.6 lbs so very happy with that! My b/g was 6.1 this morning so not bad but could do better !

I haven’t enjoyed this week because I was out of control over the weekend, logging as I went rather than at the beginning of the day. I’ve decided to go back to 30g of carbs a day as I feel that because it’s so low I have to make my decisions in the morning!

Anyway, hope this has been a good 7 days for you and you have achieved your goals.

See you on ‘7 Days .. A little extra … if you want to join in.

• posted by loopylou
    on

Was doing really well this week. As you know I lost 7.5pounds , and was doing great yesterday until I found a packet of M and S chocolate truffles that my hubby had opened and left lying around the kitchen. According to MFP each has 22.9 carbs and I had eaten 6 of them before I found that out. So consequently I am not logging yesterdays figures but writing it off and starting again on the other thread!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hi Verano – you had a good week with carbs well within range and a fantastic weight loss. I do agree that the planning in the morning makes this easier. I can’t do it on the run either.

Am still sticking to 30g carbs on the new challenge but making sure I add some fish. Have been telling everyone I am on a healthy Mediterranean diet so I really do need to add fish which is a bit of a challenge for me but thanks Verano for suggesting the Thai fish cakes recipe which looks delicious. If fish is disguised a bit it is much easier for me to add it to the plan.

I posted my results for the week in error on the new challenge thread. So yesterday I had 17g carbs and 765 calories and lost a massive 3 1/4lbs in the weekto take me to 10 stone. In 2013 my daughter got married and I dieted for months and couldn’t get any lower than 10st 12lbs. So this effortless (well sort of) weight loss is fantastic.

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi everyone

Interesting on French diabetes rate Sunshine Girl – might be higher detection?
    The estimates on undiagnosed diabetes in the UK are quite high. As a teenager I spent a fair bit of time in France that started as a school twinning exchange that went really well & continued visiting the same family for years, The mother was a GP admittedly, but the slightest hint of a headache, being under the weather, it would be blood pressure (don’t think I’d ever had it measured in the UK) temperature, etc. When I was older a friend had a house in France, so used to go a lot, and just found everything more “medicalised” – follow ups to appointments, rather than just treatment and assumption it would work but you’d go back if it didn’t.

Well done everyone – lots of losses. Mine is only small this week – great start to the week, less so over the weekend.

I’m still having issues with my digestion being a bit irregular – I think I’m going to start keeping a poo diary.
    I was thinking spreadsheet or notebook – just googled and game up with an article “the best 5 apps for ‘logging’ your poos every day” – the five best?! how many are there FGS!!!
    I dread to think of the dodgy ads and pop ups using those on a regular basis would generate
    It’s odd that they don’t build the functionality into diet logs like MFP and Fat Secret really. What can I say – I’m an accountant, I like to see the debits and credits to get the complete picture!

Please log in or register to post a reply.