7 days in and need some advice

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Michlsue
    on

Hi everyone,

I’m Prediabetic and finally have the motivation to do this. I am 50 in 6 weeks with a big party ahead and not been able to focus until now, nothing like a goal eh! I know this is a new way of life for me and ongoing, I will switch to 5:2 when lost my weight. I am 3.5 stone overweight since a divorce, PMS and being a sugar and overeating emotional eater. I also have self sabotaged for a few years and binge drink as my social life is hectic mostly.

I have followed the 800 with fasting windows ranging between 16:8, 12:12, 18:6 over the past week.. Each duration varies due to my working day. I am finding it easy in the morning but having dizzyness, headaches and pulsating, brain zaps too. I have also recently come off my Anti Depressants, I am also having hyper episodes and clumsiness, erraticness, overwhelm. Is this normal?

I took my blood sugar yesterday, fasted at 11.30am and it was 4.9mmol, then 2 hours after my soup it was 5.6mmol. This morning was the first morning fasted bloods I took and they were 2.9mmol. I am trying to wait until 12pm to have my first meal but thinking I should raise my sugar level? I want to achieve the quickest weight loss in this 6 weeks and get my prediabetes reversed. I think I’m too low this morning as my vision is blurred also so may go have a full fat yoghurt, will this break my fast completely? I have had an espresso coffee with xylitol and acv water with lemon.

I also haven’t lost anything yet but have just changed my scales so could be just different scales issue.

Thanks, sorry for war and peace!

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi MichIsue,
    Sorry, I’ve only just seen this. A warm welcome to the Forum and hope you are feeling better today.

Although I have Type II diabetes I’ve limited experience of very low blood sugars but I’ll just try to answer your questions as best I can based on my experience.

Yes, if your blood sugars are measuring 2.9 and particularly when you are having those symptoms I’d definitely eat something, yoghurt or cheese or something. I do sometimes go below 4 (3.9, 3.8) and even then I keep an eye on things.

If you keep to the broad principles of 800 cals and low carb you will be able to reverse your prediabetes. It will work. I’ve put my Type II diabetes into remission and kept it there for two years following this way of eating. In my experience the weight loss no doubt was part of it but it was the reduction in carbohydrate intake that really seemed to impact this.

I completely understand you wanting to achieve the quickest weight loss for your birthday party – lots of us on here have had similar goals – but please don’t risk your health. If I were you I think I’d go a bit slower with things. I didn’t do any restricted eating initially and I still lost a lot of weight. Then I started eating 2 meals a day but the time I ate them would vary depending on how my bgls were looking, how hungry I was, how I was physically feeling. Sounds like you’ve got good instincts. Go with them. xx

There is such a thing as ‘carb flu’ which a lot of people experience when they first start BSD but I didn’t really experience it so not exactly sure if they include what you are describing. Maybe someone else could advise on this.
    Would coming off the anti-depressants have any of these effects? Whatever the reason, if it continues I’d check it out with your GP.

About not losing weight yet, are you weighing and measuring your food and drink intake. I use fatsecret to calculate my cals and carbs. It’s easy to underestimate how many cals or carbs you are eating (I still underestimate portion size!). Conversely, there were times when I didn’t eat enough and my body seemed to just freeze – no weight loss. Or as you say it could just be the different scales – it has been known on here before!

Seems to me you’ve been through a lot recently so do be gentle with yourself. But it’s great that you’ve started. Don’t forget to join in any of the other threads that appeal to you.
    Jennie xx

• posted by Michlsue
    on

Thanks Jennie

I have been lax with weighing every meal so will start rigidly. I took bloods this morning and was 2.3, had omelette and mushroom and then after 90mins were 4.6. I’m in coffee and water until next meal but I’ll go to 3 meals today and forget IF fasting for now until get meals right.

I’m going to make lots of soups and portion them out for lunches I think.

I’m still learning and feeling overwhelmed.

Thanks
    Michelle

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi Michelle
    I’ve been off the forum the last few days so have just seen this. Yes, great idea about the soup – it’s one of my go-to foods.
    Anyway I came searching for you – my goodness, the posts on the forum are moving fast at the minute – as I wondered how you were getting on?
    Jennie xx

• posted by Michlsue
    on

Hi, I’m not fasting but having porridge with a few berries made with water in mornings, quorn with green veg for my lunch and tonight a green vegetable curry made with a little Greek yoghurt, lots of spices and Cauliflower rice. Not stressing about weighing or taking bloods either. I’ve still not lost but will stick with it. Thanks x

• posted by TaytoP
    on

HI Michlsue,
    I just popped in to say that at least the first set of symptoms you listed (dizzyness, headaches, brain zaps) and probably some of the others too, as most likely to be related to coming off anti depressants. Brain zaps are a classic coming off anti depressant symptom that many people have and which don’t (as far as I know) occur for other reasons. When I came off mine, i found symptoms could be quite severe over a very long period… months even…. and i had to taper my does very very slowly over a period of months, or I would end up with overly severe withdrawal symptoms.
    If the symptoms continue even with you eating a bit more, I would consider going back on at a lower dose then tapering slowly (with medical supervision of course)

• posted by Michlsue
    on

Hi, thanks for your reply. I have tapered them off, went from 200mg Sertraline to 25mg over a period of 6-8 weeks, the brain zaps have stopped this week now I’m eating 3 small meals, sticking to 800 cals but just weighed and still no loss. I’m going to up my water intake as I know I’m not great with it this week. My appetite is less so hopefully I’ll see a change soon, otherwise I’m going to the GP for tests as I should at least see some loss not a gain. I haven’t exercised due to work and have a chest infection currently but have walked the dogs a little more over the past weekend. I haven’t had chocolate, alcohol, sugar so am very frustrated.

Michelle x

Please log in or register to post a reply.