6 weeks in on the BSD

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Jontriss
    on

Just finishing week 6 of the BSD and saw my GP regarding my Type 2 Diabetes (diagnosed 3 yrs ago) and my HbA1c has come down from 76 to 50 and I have reduced my wieght from 155kg to 127kg (179cm tall). I was hoping that my metformin would at least be reduced. My GP advised me to continue with the metformin (1500mg) and 2.5mg saxagliptin, to say I am dissapointed is putting it mildly I am Livid with her attitude, especially regarding my weight loss. The question is should I just stop taking the meds anyway. I am committed to continue losing weight after the 8weeks is over. Any advice people?
    Jontriss

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Jontriss, how disappointing. I just tell my doctor what I am doing. I was going very low in the afternoons and found out that the Glycazide (probably same family as saxagliptin but you would need to check that) anyway, it can cause quite rapid drops so I cut it from 90 mg to 60 mg but never got off it. When I saw the doctor I told him the effect it was having (hypos) and what I had done (reduced) and he still gave me a prescription of the higher dose for nearly a year. Then he reduced it but he knew I hadn’t been taking the full dose, he just wanted me to have it if I needed it. The Metformin is a very mild drug and does little to lower BG. If it were me I would start to reduce the Met and see how my numbers go – are you able to do regular tests yourself. Are you sure about the quantity of saxagliptin as 2.5mg is nothing, they usually come in 30mg tablets but it might be completely different with your meds. Can I also say that HbA1c of 50 is still in the diabetic range so it is up to you to bring it down further and your doctor might think you still need the meds to keep it under control. Complex I know.

Please log in or register to post a reply.