6 days in and not budged a lb, why ?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Ellabennoah
    on

Hi, as the title says ! Im following the 800 recipes from the book, to the letter, weighing everything scrupulously. No cheating whatsoever. Rather disappointed at this . What have people got to say please ?

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

It is entirely possible that you are one of the people who are so insulin resistant that they need to take more extreme measures to lose weight. By this I don’t mean eating less than 800 calories, but by making sure that even less of those 800 calories are carbohydrate than the book recipes allow for. Several of our number were in this group, and found that they had to restrict net carbs below 20g for them to lose any weight. It is also possible that you are losing fat and that some other factor such as hormones or exercise is causing you to retain water which is denser than the fat. If this is the case, you may be losing inches if not weight. Take measurements and track those as well for the full picture of what is going on in your body.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Ellabennoah – Sorry your beginning on the BSD has not been encouraging. Mixnmatch is right, you may need to look at your daily carb intake and adjust it down. Review you hydration as well, is good hydration is essential and even if you think you’ve drunk enough, try to drink a bit more. Do check for non-scales results too, as MnM advises, as often when it seems nothing is happening, things other than pounds falling is going on without us noticing.

Hope you will stick with it and will soon be reporting positive result.

• posted by Ellabennoah
    on

Thanks for your quick reply. It’s taken me a couple of days to see what 20g carbs looks like, but I have started with that today. Fingers crossed !

• posted by Ellabennoah
    on

Hi, thanks for your reply. I will be adjusting my carbs accordingly and drinking even more. Thanks and fingers crossed !

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi Ellabennoah, and welcome to the forums and a new life of
    improved health and wellbeing. I agree with the points MnM
    and Sunny have made. There is an entire community of maintainers
    here who have mastered this way of life, and we take joy in sharing
    what we have learned along the way. I’m sorry that you’ve gotten
    off to a slow start, but the remedy for correction usually resides
    in one or more of the same issues. Address them, and you will
    be on your way ๐Ÿ™‚
    1. planning is key – always have your meals planned in advance,
    and be prepared with a BSD snack for unforeseen changes in
    your day. I always have a few nuts or a hardboiled egg with me,
    but it can be anything that you enjoy.
    2. Weigh and measure all of your ingredients, even when
    you are using mosley’s recipes. They have been shown to be
    more calories than indicated.
    3. Many of us have learned that we are highly insulin resistant,
    and reducing carbs to <20 has been the KEY to success.
    4. Drinking 2.5-3 liters of water per day has a major role to
    play in weight loss, and I never underestimate the importance
    of it. I’m 10 months into maintenance after a loss of 148lbs,
    and I still drink at least 2 liters a day. When I slack off, it’s
    soon evident on the scale ๐Ÿ™‚
    5. For many of us, alcohol is a major impediment to weight
    loss. It’s not the calories per se, but the fluid retention that
    accompanies it. Who wants to plateau for an entire week as
    a result of a few glasses of wine on the weekend?
    6. Joining a 4 week or 8 week challenge, where you have an
    opportunity to meet other newbies, members half way along
    the way, and maintainers who have been there and done that,
    is a wonderful way to acquire confidence in this exciting
    new way of life.
    Very best wishes to you. We all know that this works for
    anyone and everyone! Let us know how you are doing…

Allie

• posted by Ellabennoah
    on

Thanks.
    I have applied your suggestions and the weight is beginning to budge. But, trying to keep under 20 carbs I’m finding v difficult. Eg, yesterday I had 100g full fat Greek yogurt and blew my carbs budget straight away !! Can you keep up the healthy fats/oils and keep under 20 carbs ? Looking forward to your practical advice please !

• posted by alliecat
    on

Ellabennoah, not everyone has to keep carbs under 20, but we found, for the insulin resistant
    among us, it’s what made the difference. This way of eating (WOE) represents a big
    adjustment in everything we had ever been taught about food, and there can be a learning
    curve at the start. I think if you type “20 g Carb Anyone?” in the search box, you will find
    many posts there that go into significant detail on how we each went about it. Please
    have a read through, and be sure to return here if you still have questions. There are
    always knowledgeable folks available to help ๐Ÿ™‚

Allie

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Ellabennoah – bit puzzled about what greek yogurt would have high enough carbs in a 100g portion to blow a 20g carb allowance in one go. Most of them come in at around the 3g to 5g carbs per 100g mark, so is it that you added berries/nuts etc. pushing the carbs up? If so, the way I used to handle this, was to trade off a few grams of yogurt for some of the additions – so maybe 85g or 90g yogurt, with 20g raspberries with a total of around 5g carbs. As for the healthy fats/oils, yes you can easily include these and not impact on the carbs as these are carb free, but of course they very high in calories, so tread carefully so as not to mess up your calorie intake.

• posted by JGwen
    on

The flavoured Greek style yogurts are all quite high on their carb levels. I like the Skyr brands which are high protein, but they are all out of the question if trying to aim for 20g of carbs per day. I used to like Greek yogurt with some honey as a treat but again that’s not possible if limiting carbs. If you go for a plain Greek yogurt then its 3.7g of carb for 100g of yogurt and people do add a sprinkling of berries to top it off.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Good point JGwen, I had made the assumption that it would have been natural full fat greek yogurt Ellabenoah used, but maybe she was using a fruit flavoured option. That would certainly make more sense re: her comment on almost blowing her 20g allowance in one go. I used to like skyr too, but the low fat element doesn’t fit in for me any more and actually, I have traded greek yogurt for home produced kefir these days.

Please log in or register to post a reply.