40 yo woman, starting 21st August with a goal to lose 40kg! (88 lb)

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by GemGem
    on

I’m a 40 year old woman, I feel young on the inside but my body is WAY too unhealthy for my age!
    I’m 165cm tall, but currently weigh 104 kg. (230 lb). This is 40kg (88 lb) over the healthy weight range!! So I have QUITE a lot to lose!

I have a goal of losing 40 kilos (88 pounds) which will put me into the official healthy weight/bmi zone for my height.

My fat is almost all on my big belly, I’m insulin-resistant and then some – I just look at a biscuit and my weight goes up, I think I have type 2 diabetes by now since my last test a year ago when I was told I was on the edge. Back then I was told to lose weight, I tried, failed, tried, failed, tried, succeeded for a month, then put it back on…. argh!

Two months ago I bought the 8-week Blood Sugar Diet book, read it, loved it and… did nothing!! I had no ooomph to start, did nothing further for two months…. until today!

I am starting this diet on 21st August 2016, because today I came home and cried. Both superficial reasons, and health reasons – because I no longer fit into Any clothes in regular shops, I don’t even fit into size L or XL, its my belly, I can’t fit into anything. It was a dreadful shopping trip, I was puffed, sweating, low in energy after just one hour, and my heart beat too fast walking up the escalator, that is ridiculous! I came home from shopping, cried, ate too much to comfort myself (I admit it!), then pulled out this book that I read 2 months ago! Today I have promised myself I will not come back from clothes shopping crying again, that I will not allow my health to deteriorate, I’m only 40! and that I will go swimming at the beach this summer without embarrassment and shame.

This diet is intimidating in that I am Always hungry! I’m never full, I seem to have irresistible food cravings – I am not exaggerating, I am Always hungry!! So I really hope I can change this around. But I am 100% committed and if I fall down I promise to pick myself back up and resume where I left off!

I’m looking forward to taking the journey alongside you guys, looking forward to reading everyone’s posts, and supporting you in return and sharing our ideas along the way!

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi GemGem

This is the place to be!

It may seem very hard for the first week or so but after that you seem to lose your hunger. I think when you eat low carbs you just feel better and have more energy in general.

There are so many inspiring stories here … have a look at captainlynne’s posts she has done amazingly well. Then there are some of us that lose at slower rate so don’t feel despondent if that happens to you. We are all individuals.

Keep reading the boards for support and inspiration.

Good luck on your journey!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi GemGem

Welcome.

I’m 66 years old and had about the same weight as you to lose. When I began this journey I thought I was 5ft 2ins, but have since been told I’m only 5ft 1ins😱 That meant I had a few more pounds to lose!

Today, at the end of week 35 my total weight loss is 86 pounds, with 5 pounds more to lose until I reach my target weight and healthy BMI. After 4 of those pounds I’ll have lost 40% of my starting body weight😱

if you want to know more, check out my threads. Any questions please ask.

Lots of helpful people on these forums. As Verano said, we’re all different. What suits me might not suit someone else. Some use apps to monitor good and progress. I use a notebook and pen! I would suggest that you record everything – food, weight, medical test results etc.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Oh GemGem, you made me cry. Looks like you have hit a wall and are ready to change your life. Good for you. There is a difference between appetite and hunger and we eat for many more reasons than hunger. Try sitting somewhere quiet, feet on the floor, hands resting on lap and close your eyes. Breath slowly and evenly and clear your mind (god I sound like a guru). Now try to imagine how you want to look and feel in 2 months (or 8 weeks). Don’t see yourself as super slim and healthy, see yourself getting into 2 sizes smaller or even that top size you couldn’t get into on your shopping trip. Don’t sweat the big stuff, some goals are so far away they seem impossible, look at the near future and set yourself some small goals. There is a thread on here about what goals have you reached and some are weight or health related and some are more trivial. I tend to wear my big pants because I don’t feel worthy of the lacy numbers in the drawer, but I am worth it so my next goal is to lose 5lbs more and chuck out the big pants.

You say you were out of breath, sweating etc just from walking around shopping. I took my 2 grandsons to a theme park this week and we walked around from 8am till 10pm only sitting down for a cool drink and then for lunch. My feet hurt but so did there’s, normally I would have been finding the stairs and the slopes hard and begging for a rest. It was only later I realised I hadn’t had to stop at all.

Good luck and stick with us, we are all in the same boat. I am a slow loser, only 8lbs in 7 weeks, hey ho, my health has improved so thats what counts. I’m going to be following you so keep posting.

• posted by Apple
    on

Hi GemGem
    I read your post and just wanted so say I am right there with you lady! I need to lose at least 70lbs and even at 35 my joints are struggling! I know I desperately need to increase my exercise but it’s hard when you feel massive and break in to a sweat walking alone, but I am convinced by everyone’s posts that it will get easier as the weight starts to shift. I am now on day 5 and have checked the scales daily hoping to see a nice big loss as I’ve seen on some other people’s posts – I’m still waiting for it but you know what, I do believe this will work. My appetite already seems to be shrinking and it’s only day 5, that’s a bonus whatever the scales want to say πŸ™‚

• posted by PrincetonianStud
    on

Congrads! You got pissed off and agitated. That is the only way to make a change! I am no skinny wimp at 310 pounds either.
    I just thought I would share a few exercises in this video over obese people can do even when mobility is hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI0j8nLiZmE

Bunjee Chord strength training one can do sitting down. Only a few bux to buy them and I use them all the time.

Live Long And Prosper!

PrincetonianStud

• posted by GemGem
    on

Goodness, thank you So much for your lovely replies and encouragement!

Verano I’ve been clicking around the boards a bit and all I can say is, I am SO glad I decided to join the forum instead of just, you know, buying the food and following the book on my own!

Captainlynne you have inspired me so much! Last night I created what I think is a realistic ‘road map’ chart with all my measurements, bmi, waist to hip ratio, all of it, and of course weight, in Excel, filled with tricky little formulas to show me the numbers and track how i’m going. I have mapped it out that it will take approx 36 weeks for me to reach my goal, that is if fingers crossed I lose 1kg a week every week. Not sure if that’s realistic, maybe it will be faster, maybe slower…I can adjust as I go so long as the overall trend is Losing weight!

So by May, or at least by mid-next year, I should be bouncing around a light and breezy 65kg!

Sunshine-girl, I really like that idea of meditating/being mindful and visualisation. Its not something I’ve attempted before although of course I read the chapter in the book… hmm I’ll give it a try. I don’t know much about mindfulness and meditating, but I’m looking forward to giving it a go later today as a friend sent me a bunch of suggestions for guided meditations available on YouTube. I like your attitude too, its about feeling healthier and going at your own pace, not about “I must rush and get to the number on my goal chart.” It comes back to the motivation.. its not to reach a number, its to be healthier and Feel better! So rushing might not be what feels best.

Apple thanks for your nice message! I’m glad to hear the appetite decreases.. this morning when I woke up I was SOOO conflicted because – well its supposed to be Day One today, but I felt soo Hungry and craved a big breakfast – I wanted to have the breakfast roll from a cafe near me, of eggs and bacon and basil mayonnaise with a large latte with one sugar… BUT I had promised myself to start this Today!!! I seriously almost gave in and reasoned with myself, bargaining, “its Sunday, its the weekend, would it matter if I start tomorrow not today…?” But truth be told, although my craving was so strong I knew i’d be disappointed in myself and feel i’d failed even on Day One! So I quickly whipped up the Green Tea and Blueberries smoothie and – surprisingly!! It did the job and filled me up!!!

I actually felt a wave of joyfulness that I overcame the cravings and Actually Started!!! I didn’t give in, on the first day! Ha.

PrincetonianStud thank you for your message also! Now as for exercise… hmm I gotta admit, I”m not, er, a natural when it comes to exercise. I wish I was, it looks so fun to run around and be active, but I get tired so quickly! so thank you for this idea! Begin gently is probably the wise choice.

Another friend gave me advice last night which is, go buy some really Nice, pretty, attractive exercise clothes, so you Feel nicer when you exercise. Now this isn’t an option if you don’t have much money, but still, I like the idea of it, rather than my usual ‘whatever old, big, floppy’ ancient tshirts I can find that hide my body.

So that, ladies and gentlemen, is what I’m going to do today! Go buy something nice to exercise in. This time i’m Excited to go shopping and not miserable! Yay! Go me!!!

Thanks again for your lovely comments and I’ll be following all of you!

• posted by Lucyjane
    on

Hi there,
    I did this diet in April and lost 5 kilos. I then had 3 months off and put it back on! Whoops. I am 42 years old, about 100 kilos and 175cm so a bit to lose. My goal is to be 85 kilos which for me feels good. I am starting tomorrow so perhaps we can be diet buddies (along with everyone else on this forum:-) I have young kids and also want to enjoy being at the beach this summer not uncomfortable. I also want to fit back into my wardrobe. My biggest downfall is wine so I am going to cut this out for 8 weeks. Best of luck to us!

• posted by Verano
    on

GemGem

WELL DONE!

You’ve taken that first step and it wasn’t really painful! Keep going now one meal at a time and you will get there.

• posted by Apple
    on

Hi GemGem well done on getting started! I have found that I’m not too hungry in the mornings so I tend to stick to strawberries and raspberries with yogurt for breakfast and then eggs for lunch. I find a cheesy omelette with salad will fill me up for hours but I have to stop myself reaching for something sweet afterwards. Not because I’m really hungry but just that old habit of feeling like I need something sweet at the end of every meal…or snack…I’m glad I started the BSD whilst I have a couple of weeks off work to get in to the swing of it as I know I’ll hit a bump in the road when my son returns to school in 2 weeks and I’m confined to a desk at work for 8hours a day again. I saw lots of positive reviews for the Jawbone Up2 fitness band thingy on some other posts so I ordered one and tested it out yesterday. Good news is I slept well according to the app, bad news is I only managed 2316 steps in a whole day! What a shocker that is…but I will make sure that I do at least 3000 today (easing myself in to it of course!) Also just done ten mins on my exercise bike trying out the HIIT suggested in the book. Good job my other half is at work or I think he’d have been laughing his head off at that sight, although I’m sure my little lad will be telling him that mummy tried to break the bike when he does get home haha!

Lucyjane I too know what you mean about being unable to enjoy the beach. On my last few holidays I refused to put on a swimming costume as I felt so self conscious and then just felt awful when my other half moaned about being on pool duty with my son all day. I’m off on holiday again at the end of October so although I have about 70lbs to lose I’d really like to see about 20lb go before that so I can brave the pool for a change.

I’m really glad to have such a helpful bunch to chat with on these forums to keep me going – we can all do this! πŸ™‚

• posted by Antigone
    on

Good to meet you GemGem – I’ve only just started (week 3) so I’ll be interested to follow your progress! I haven’t been hungry and it is truly amazing how you just lose interest in potatoes and bread etc. If you feel like cheating get on here and read or post – it will help you focus. There are some lovely folks on here πŸ™‚

• posted by GemGem
    on

Hi Lucyjane, yes for sure! Good luck starting tomorrow!!!! I can safely say I survived the first day (its 7.30pm here in Australia), I totally hear you about wine though πŸ™‚ Eye on the prize… eye on the prize…. we can do this!!

Yes Apple I have Already, on day one, discovered that its hungry out of habit – I mean I was hungry but not that bad, and a different kind of hungry. I am a comfort eater so for me, to have smaller portions seems weird. Not hungry, I have discovered, its not that im hungry, im just used to eating more – lots more! So my first meals today just seems… not much food compared to normal. (Which is the whole point, GemGem!! Don’t keep doing what youve done before!!! πŸ™‚ )

I know, the after-meal sweet thing… I am fighting that now, cos I just had dinner (390 cal stir fry of broccoli, beans, peas and tuna with garlic/fresh chilli/ginger/coriander/soy.) I sprinkled half a tablespoon of LSA over it and stirred it through to bulk it up a little… and a dollop of yoghurt on top. BUT…. now its after dinner and I’m talking myself out of a sweet. I made a cup of tea instead which is berry flavoured so it tastes sweet even though no sugar in it. Seems to have worked!

Hey thanks Antigone!!! Good advice I’m sure i’ll need to do that a lot at first.

Total of 790 calories today, and I’m still standing so that’s a relief πŸ™‚ Day one done and dusted…

Have a good start to the week everyone!

• posted by kirstie
    on

HI Gem Gem
    I am 44 and around the same weight and height as you, I started last week and found it good overall, slight sweet cravings in evenings as I usually have wine but did 4 days lost 5lbs and Friday night it all went to pot and had wine, lots of it! Felt really disappointed in myself yesterday but just have to get on with it, old habits are hard to break! Was back on track yesterday and have lost 6lbs so far, many more to go…. look forward to hearing how you get on in your first week.
    Kirstie

on

Hey GemGem, talk about nearly giving in on the first day. I had it all planned, shopped, written my menu for the week and was in the right mindset when BOOM things were turned upside down. My daughter was in the process of leaving her husband, selling their house and buying one for herself and the boys. For them it was moving day and the people she was buying from had not signed for completion (or whatever) suddenly she had nowhere to go, nowhere to live. She was on her own with 2 little boys. Within a couple of hours she had to find somewhere to store the furniture, somewhere for them to sleep. She got in the car and drove round to her new house and the people were in the process of moving out so she asked what they were playing at not signing the house over to her. Turned out to be a clerical error and 2 hours later she was heading off with the boys and her furniture to her new house PHEW. As you can imaging I’m here in France and can do nothing to help and had been at the end of my fingernails. Anyway, it turned out fine and she got moved in at around 8 pm that day. SO MY HUSBAND PUTS A BOTTLE OF CHAMPAGNE IN THE FRIDGE. You have to celebrate, he said, you need to calm down and relax and have a drink. I took the champers out of the fridge, put it in the wine rack and poured him a large whiskey. Crisis over, diet still on track and still doing well (almost).

Hope you enjoy your shopping.

• posted by ruthdownunder
    on

GemGem welcome and I hope you will go well on your second day. I have to tell I have always hated diets, because I was always hungry and, while I won’t say I am not hungry on this one, I know that when meal time comes I can eat something nice, including things, like cheese, bacon, avocado, nuts etc.

I am just about to start on my 2nd 8 weeks and have only lost a stone (6.4 kgs)( many lose heaps more) but I am very pleased and will keep on because I have a lot to lose. Just plan your next tasty small meal, and then your next, …..etc, and you will be off and running.

I do miss my wine, but it is better to stay off it for a few weeks, because our wine is too nice for just one glass! I have had a few and they contributed to plateaus and a bounce.

Your first week’s loss will thrill you.

Good luck

Ruth – also down under

• posted by GemGem
    on

Day two.. Shopping trip went well! I went to Big W and bought lots of grey and pink and black work-out gear, new socks, sports bras and a new pair of sneakers, and I have to admit, psychologically it Does make exercising seem less of a drag! I haven’t actually done any yet but tonight I am going for an hours walk and I’m excited to wear my new gear.

Plus, the fact that its Specifically purposely exercise clothing and not old tshirts, tricks my brain into thinking I’m really into exercise. Hehe. (Any tricks to make me want to exercise, I’m willing to try! πŸ™‚

Kirstie, hi to you too and its good to know there is someone my height/weight too πŸ™‚ I know, the wine issue!! I haven’t been ‘tested’ yet but i’ve got a drinks thing to go to on Wednesday and I am Dreading it. I’ve been thinking of ways around it, what kinds of drinks I could have. I think I’ll order fizzy water with lemon and lime and mint and ice and a straw – that way I won’t feel like I’m just drinking water!

Sunshine-girl that is a Crazy story! Oh my goodness!! I’m glad it had a happy ending for your daughter, what a nightmare and to be so far and unable to help… but I am speechless with admiration that you put the champagne back. Champagne is my absolute favourite thing to drink in this world and the next. You could say that your putting the champagne back was something to celebrate in itself πŸ™‚ (but with bubbly water of course!)

Hi Ruth, fellow Aussie! 6.4 kilos is awesome!!! Each time I’ve dieted before, I’ve lost maybe… 4 max. But its crept back on so fast in a matter of weeks. I’m glad to hear you’re onto the second innings of the 8 weeks, because I will be doing that as well since I have so much to lose.

Speaking of figures… today is mid-way through Day Two and I weighed myself – i already lost 1.3 kilos!!! I know, I know, that’s probably not accurate. I actually had to step on the scales three separate times to make sure I was not imagining things but that’s what it says… anyway I won’t get too excited yet cos I know our weight fluctuates all the time, so I’m not going to get too… I mean I just ate lunch and drank lots of water so its probably back up again by now… but Still! Seriously, I’m excited if there are results already after just one and a half days!! Inspiring πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

on

Jacob’s Creek: Them Aussies do make some good wine, mate! πŸ™‚

That lemon you put in the water should be the first thing you drink before that good old cup of joe in the morning! It makes your digestion into a power machine from that 8 hour rest!

I use this digital scale all the time and I weigh myself 3 times and get 3 different numbers. I should go back to the old fashion scale. What should I expect from buying chinese junk on ebay?

The first week is water weight. Expect less weight numbers later weeks. That was a dissapointment to me. But I still and a LOSER! πŸ˜‰

Live Long And Prosper!

• posted by GemGem
    on

Just going to bed at the end of Day 3 and I think today was much easier than yesterday when I had a hard time calculating and adding up what I could make to meet the calories yet still satisfy my super duper strong hunger but overall, I think the hunger is partly because I’m used to eating so much food, big big portions. I was just so so ravenous by dinner time and had to ignore my inner voice saying “Eat all the cheese! Eat all the mince!”.

Yes Princetonian Stud I am drinking my lemon in hot water, which I have to admit I don’t like cos its so sour!! I litterally screw my face up and wince with every sip πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ but I know its for the great good πŸ™‚

I did notice today, Day 3, that I was not as pre-occupied with food and eating as I am usually before this diet! I normally think about food a Lot, about what I might eat later, or convince myself I should go buy a latte and some little ‘snack’ which would probably be choc full of calories. But today, for the first time in months, longer maybe – I went for several hours from breakfast to lunch without any hunger at all. Strange!!!

One other thing that is also very strange is that my cheeks have been hot and slightly burning-feeling, as if I am blushing, or flushed from running, even when sitting still. I can only explain it is a tingling feeling in my cheeks. Hot tingling.

For the first time I came under 800 calories (730 for the three meals) so I allowed myself an after-dinner sweet treat of just a tablespoon of yogurt with a teaspoon of cacao powder stirred through and I heated up blackberries in the microwave and stirred through. A Delicious if tiny dessert ! It made me feel like I wasn’t missing out and it was only about 40 calories!

Can’t wait to wake up tomorrow and see if I look any different πŸ™‚ I swear I look Slightly thinner after three days already!

on

Not Strange! Your body not starving from sugar. It is such useless calories in sugar found in: Cola, Energy Drinks, Starbux! Read what is on the news this morning from American Heart Association:

http://cbs4indy.com/2016/08/22/american-heart-association-releases-new-sugar-intake-recommendations-for-children/

Make sure it is 80 % or more cocoa. I make a mean hot chocolate with it. Add bit of moo juice and one stevia packet. That is my splurge food when I start seeing Chips Ahoy dancing around:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KvWslZlgko

32 days and strong! Not lost as much as I wanted, but I am a LOSER! πŸ™‚

Live Long And Prosper

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi there gemgem

Have just been reading some of your posts, you are not alone luvvy, it does get easier, and wonderful, you are half way through your first week, how great is that, baby steps, meal by meal, you can do it, we can all do it together, keep posting here, good or bad, there is always someone to give advice, and support, we were all at the beginning once, I am at week 9 and had more than you to loose 104 lbs and have lost 33 lbs so far.
    The cravings get better, I think it sounds like your appetite is settling, mine was monstrous, I could eat and eat. It does get easier and soon it will be enjoyable. Think of it as a journey to a new land, and see the slim well you in that new land, be that person, visualise it.
    You can do this. 😊😊😊 jan

• posted by Avila
    on

I drink squash/cordial rather than plain water – I would find the lemon too sour too. It is sugar free squash but does have sweeteners so not ideal but minimal – and helps me get my fluids.

My appetite eased after the first week – but suffering from the appetite effects of falling off the wagon into a whole cheesecake when depression hit (not diet related). So it does affect your taste, but can reverse too.

I am 41, less to lose but concerned about being on blood pressure meds already for a couple of years. There are folk on here who have lost as much as you need to – not in the 8 weeks, but they have. \browse the forum for inspiration. And the people here are great – whether cheering on, or offering hope when finding it tough.

on

WHAT! Avila had cheesecake and offered me none???? Well, Cheesecake is my ultimate weakness. It is actually fantastic when you fall off the wagon! Then you go back on and make your goals even better!

My Chips Ahoy Commercial was too much for everyone? Them cookies can dance all they want, but I wont eat them. I hate these rainy days at the lake house. Hopefully, no rain this weekend for the San Francisco opera house visiting!

Well, I have one more thing to say:

Live Long And Prosper!

• posted by GemGem
    on

Day 6 of 800 calories a day is drawing to a close, and What an almost-week it has been! Here is my latest update tonight, because I can’t believe how much life has changed, and I have changed, in just six short days.
    First of all – Hahaha that ChipsAhoy commercial is very cute, we don’t have them in Australia. Thankfully, one less thing to tempt me…
    Thanks for your lovely message greenjanet πŸ™‚ Congratulations on sticking it out 9 weeks!! Very inspiring. And thank you too, Avila!

So at the end of Day 6, I have lost 4.4 kilos. Yep. Six days, 4.4 kilos. That is 9.7 pounds in six days.

Mind. Blown. I’ve never experienced such success on a diet in my whole life and i’ve been on so many diets! I have to admit that losing 4.4 kilos in just six days seems too good to be true so I weighed myself three times to make sure, then again three hours later, but its true. My first few days were not very easy I can’t lie. I was hungry and 800 calories a day is not for the faint hearted, at least not at first and I have discovered just how much planning and counting and measuring needs to go into each and every meal!!! But after six days, my hunger has changed completely. Now I don’t have cravings, not at all! I feel temptations, but tempted isn’t the same as I NEED THIS. I wanted, not needed. Different.

It has become very liberating! And it makes me feel like I’m getting control of my addiction to eating – my hunger is not driving me and i’m not thinking constantly about what I can eat, or what sugary coffees, hot chocolates, etc I will have, and i’m not missing at all my too-late mid-morning breakfasts of lattes and toasted ham cheese and tomato sandwiches with melted butter on top from the cafe downstairs from my office!! Who’d have thought. I want one but don’t crave one.

On wednesday I had a drinks/dinner event to go to which i was dreading, but I ended up doing really well! A vodka, lemon, lime and soda cocktail is only 80 calories, and I chose the roasted veggies with lemon ricotta from the menu, all in all including my vodka drink my dinner was only about 370-400 calories. Phew!!! I half expected myself to say “what the heck its a party, order what you like!”

I’ve been strict, i’ve not fallen off the wagon at all, it has been hard work in many ways but six days in, its becoming easier and easier. I’m in the habit now of writing in my food journal every meal, every ingredient and its calorific value (is that a word?). I’ve had the same breakfast three days out of the six and I made the same lunch twice but I’m trying not to be too repetitive because our bodies need more of a variety of nutrients so I’m mixing it up as much as possible, different vegetables, different protein sources etc.

So if anyone is reading this who is just starting or about to start and feeling daunted and overwhelmed like I felt, six days ago, with the thought of only 800 calories and with the thought “its so much effort!!!”, don’t be! It really does get easier and the feeling of momentum towards losing weight – moving towards the gigantic goal I set is So good!

Have a lovely start to the weekend everyone! πŸ™‚

• posted by Avila
    on

Go GemGem !!!

The scales are so encouraging about sticking at it. It will be slower after the first week shock – but it does keep going.

Have you got some midway goals that you can be ticking off on the way to the ‘gigantic goal’ you say you have set yourself? It is good to have milestones to celebrate along the way.

• posted by GemGem
    on

Thanks Avila πŸ™‚ You know what, no I haven’t! Hmm that’s a great suggestion. I don’t have any small goals or milestones…
    I’ll highlight some mini-goals to aim for – on my weight loss chart (yes I’m nerdy, I’ve made an Excel chart!!)

• posted by GemGem
    on

Day 9: Quick update before I head off to work. Total weight loss in 9 days: 5.9kg (13lb). I weigh myself at the same time each morning just before breakfast.

I would say my over-eating tendency has pretty much completely gone. I haven’t felt cravings for several days. I do get Hungry of course but it is very very different hunger. Its not compulsive. I don’t crave bad foods and I’ve now gone to three different social events and survived the day.

My method on some days where there has been a dinner or a lunch to go to, has been to choose carefully from the menu, and skip a meal, so I stick to the approx 800 calories. I’ve also had a vodka cocktail one day, a glass of red wine on Saturday, so I don’t feel i’m missing out.

One trick I’ve learned is to make sure I eat my evening meal when I feel hungry rather than wait till ‘dinner time’ which for me used to be 8pm. So I find I’m eating it much earlier than normal, around 6.30-7pm.

That’s my update πŸ™‚ I’m delighted with the results so far, it is starting to be noticeable now in my looks, people have started to comment, its a bit embarrassing having people come up to comment on how I look πŸ™‚ But definitely nice!

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi GemGem

Please go back and read you first post and then your last ….. seems like a completely different person. What a difference a week makes!!!

Well done on your amazing loss … just keep going and if you feel low or wavering just read your first and last posts again.

Good luck this week !

on

Verano, that is exactly what I was going to say to GemGem. I bet you are still crying but with happiness. Welcome to the converts. I have struggled this week with family here and 3 meals out and I have not once put a devil carb in my mouth. The pate came on little rounds of toasted bread and I scraped the paste off and threw the bread away.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi sunshine-girl …. Is that your halo I can see shining through my screen!!!!

Well done under duress. Not sure if I will be that committed when we go away next Sunday!

on

Verano, no halo here, the pate was fois gras at about a million calories. Know I have gained weight but ready to start again tomorrow, but even relaxing the calories cannot bring myself to eat a carb

• posted by Verano
    on

Sunshine-girl at least you’ve lost the ‘taste’ for carbs. See you tomorrow!

• posted by GemGem
    on

Ok, confession time. I fell off the wagon after such an amazing first 10 days!
    Alas, work stress – I lost a key member of my team (my 2iC and friend) as they were unexpectedly diagnosed with serious illness and immediate ongoing hospitalisation… And the same week the rest of the team fell one by one like flies as they all got the flu! – the very same week our workload was planned to more than double! So I missed several days of food journalling and I succumbed to not planning my meals ahead because I was working so hard and long and stressed out to the max, and got a sandwich one lunch, a chocolate bar here, a takeaway dinner there, culminating in a friday evening at-work-but-after-everyone-else-had-gone-home panic attack and my dear colleague took me out on the town and seven million drinks later, I woke up the next day with a terrible hangover and no willpower and succumbed to the temptation of a full cooked breakfast complete with eggs bacon sausage toast… So i fell well and truly off the wagon!!! I ADMIT IT!!

Luckily, I only went up 1.5 kg. So technically I’ve still lost 4 kg from my starting weight and I’m clinging to that! All is not lost!

Back on the wagon. I’ve just bought my groceries and planned and packed my meals for tomorrow so… back on the journey!

That’s the thing, isn’t it. Not to just give in and pack up because I fell off slightly! I’m getting back on, my goals remain the same. Dusting myself off from the fall and onwards and downwards as we say!

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi gemgem
    Ooh you have had a rough ride, but never mind it’s good you’ve put it behind you. Starting this plan is like learning a new life skill, if we are very fortunate and have planned well we could have a smooth few months to get ourselves well into the swing, but life is rarely like that. Planning is the key. I remember my 5 day 1 st week on this plan I had to do a eight hour mercy dash journey I took breakfast dinner and lunch spoons and forks, I felt so virtuous it was unbelievable sitting at the services eating s prawn salad and others coming out with kfc or whatever. You will have shit happen, and each time you learn something from it, and then it becomes 2 nd nature, and necessary for your health, as it transforms that as well. So good for you, keep posting good and bad make sure you drink plenty and add a little salt to overcome the carb withdrawel symptoms.
    Hope your days are more settled.
    Love Jan 😎😎😎

on

Stop kicking yourself in the tuchus (there goes my yiddish again). You lost weight. Get up and start driving your F1 speedster to the finish line. 56 days and I only did 3 or 4 instances of my two friends: Ben and Jerry.

Chunky Monkey makes me Chunky!!!! πŸ™‚

I almost never eat out really. So, it is easy for me in some ways. Thanksgiving in coming and Halloween. OMG! Candy and pecan pie. Americans gain a good 15 pounds Halloween to New Years. Then they make their resolutions and break them January 2nd. Then they join a gym and never go after the first month.

Crazy! Isn’t it?

Well, you are a 100 miles ahead of everyone else!

Keep it up!

I have to break my friendship up with Ben and Jerry! πŸ™‚

• posted by Cecily
    on

I’m getting ready to start my first day (Monday) and would love to know how you are doing 4 weeks in, GemGem.
    How has it been this week?
    And tips for a newbie?

• posted by Dona Rosa
    on

I think I might need Captainlynne to hold my hand! I bought the book, watched the series, read the book, started and then got sidetracked by visitors. Now the final visitor of the year arrives tomorrow and leaves on Thursday. I want to shift this weight. I same age as Captainlynne – at present semi vegetarian although I eat fish and chicken occasionally. I love vegetables and cooking. I will need advice and kicking from time to time I am certain. How much exercise do you do? I am not a fan of it although once said visitor has gone back, intend to go back to walking the beach in the mornings for around 20 minutes.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Dona Rosa.

I’m the wrong person to ask about being semi-vegetarian on the BSD – sorry. But someone will be along who can help with that.

The only exercise I do is walking. I live in a small village and don’t drive so either have to use the limited public transport or walk. A programme a couple of nights ago recommended 30 minutes brisk walking a day, 5 days a week, as being beneficial for health.

Please log in or register to post a reply.