4 weeks in – Expectations??

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by FatBob
    on

Hi all!

Just joined today – but I’ve been reading posts on here for a while.

I started the 800kcal (20 carbs) diet 4 weeks ago – just 4 weeks to go!
    I started at 20.8 and am now 18.8. So I’ve lost 2 stone in 4 weeks.

The weight loss has started slowing now – I knew it wouldn’t be a stone every two weeks 😉
    But it’s just a bit disheartening.

Today is the first time I’ve felt a bit down about the diet – as my blood is always 6.5mmol. Started diet at 6.5mmol. Still 6.5mmol. I was just really hoping it would be in the normal range.

I’ve obviously still got a lot of weight to lose – and 4 more weeks of dieting. But I was hoping my blood was going to creep down to that wanted 5.5mmol.

I’ve been “diabetic” for 3 years now.

Has anyone completed their 8 weeks and got their bloood into the normal range? And “cured” or “reversed” their diabetes? To a point where your diabetes isn’t just controlled with diet – but you could have an odd spagbol without a massive spike in blood levels?

Some positive results would really help me feel motivated again! Thanks for reading! 🙂

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi FatBob! I’m a bit confused by your statement that “some positive results would help you feel
    motivated again”. The thought of losing 28lbs in 4 weeks is a spectacular result, and many of
    us have had to fight for an average loss of 14lbs a month. The BSD is not a quick fix, but a new way
    of life, not something we do to get BSL under control. There are many here who have reversed diabetes,
    but know that to keep in that zone, eating white carbs or returning to spagbol is not an option. The
    wonderful news is that the longer you practice the BSD, a taste for the food we used to enjoy loses
    its appeal. Maintenance is the real prize, and there are many of us here who have achieved it for
    a year or more. This lifestyle can literally take you anywhere you want to go..Who would have
    imagined that controlling carbs might free us forever from yoyo dieting? It really is such a small
    price to pay for feeling healthy and full of energy again. Wishing you the best on your journey 🙂

Allie

• posted by FatBob
    on

Thanks Allie, that’s a great reply 🙂

I guess the weight has dropped off so quickly – I’ve not seen it as an accomplishment, I’ve just been focusing on my blood, not seeing any movement each week.

• posted by FatBob
    on

It feels like ages ago since I wrote my previous post. But it’s only been two weeks. I’m just really struggling as it’s getting closer to the end date.

I think the problem is – I haven’t seen this as a life style change – just a diet, and I’m looking forward to having different foods again.

Sticking to 20carbs has been very restrictive – so I will up it to 50 for the next stage.

I’m going to finish the diet the way I’ve been doing it – but then I’m going to try and vary my low carb low calorie food more for the next stage.

16 days to go. Lost 38lbs lost.
    Now weigh 17 stone 12lb.

I don’t know if I can just keep doing 800kcal until I reach my goal – with the way it’s going will be December. After years of being 20stone +

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Fatbob – Wow!! Really impressive results and still not a whole eight weeks done. Is your ‘don’t know if you can keep doing 800cal until you reach your goal’, a don’t know if it’s advisable or that you doubt your resolve to continue? It is perfectly okay to continue on the 800/20 until you achieve your goal, but if you need to, it’s okay take a bit of time out and adjust things up a bit for awhile and then go back to it.

It’s important to take on board that going forward, eating low carb needs to be way of life, if the weight lost is not to be regained. Yes, by all means raise the level of your daily intake, but best to do it in stages, so that you can gauge what a maximum level that doesn’t cause weight gain.

Keep going to the end of your 8wks and then take a decision on where you go from there. Best wishes for further good results.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi, Fatbob. You’ve been doing extremely well. If you feel that you need to take a break and want to
    put yourself into maintenance, I’d recommend that you follow the “reverse diet” approach, ie., in week
    1 increase your calories to 850 per day, in week 2, 900, and so on. Keep your carbs low, and it will
    soon become apparent to you what your individual set point is, i.e., how many carbs per day you can
    tolerate before you start to see an increase on the scales. This is a way of life going forward, and
    I wish you the very best. There is a lot of flexibility, but returning to the old way of eating does
    nothing but return us to where we started. Let us know how you get on!

Allie

• posted by FatBob
    on

Thanks for the replies guys 🙂
    Good information!

Well – I’ve got 6 days to go… Lost 3 stone 1lb now! 43lbs. Wow. It’s such a difference.

And biggest news… BLOOD IS NOW 5.2 🙂

In 6 days I’ll post my final results and future plans.

Many thanks for the support during this diet.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

That’s a fantastic achievement, Bob! Excellent news! Look forward to hearing about your final results next week.

• posted by alliecat
    on

FatBob, you must feel fantastic! Many here will be in awe of your accomplishments 🙂 We all have
    very individualized plans for maintenance, so I’m looking forward to hearing about yours. The
    adventure continues! Bravo !!!

Allie

• posted by Violinist
    on

Yes, I am in awe!!!

• posted by Marici
    on

I’m only three weeks in and not cheating. Still feeling weak and feeble and so my calorie count goes up to 1000 some days. Weight loss? Oh yes. 5 pounds. Just to put others at ease that it isn’t the same for everyone! (I have Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, which might explain why it’s such an uphill struggle).

Please log in or register to post a reply.