3lbs put on OVERNIGHT! AND BS reading gone way high – WHY???

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Tallyhoo
    on

I was delighted yesterday morning as I had officially lost 3 1/2 stone YAAY! So my official weigh in day is Monday morning of course, which means I knew I had to be very careful yesterday and today to maintain that result (or lose a bit more possibly) before weight in tomorrow. I weigh myself every day because I know there are fluctuations and I like to see these during the week so I have no big surprises on a Monday – my kind of logic!

I had my usual breakfast of raspberries and full fat yoghurt, for lunch I had a bowl of minestrone soup (no pasta obviously) as a recipe on the forum which I have had many many times before, with a sprinkling of mozarella and for dinner home made vegetable chilli with new (for me) slim rice (7 carbs in it only). Total 700 calories……….. drank 2 litres of water and spent the day on my feet walking everywhere

Can somebody please explain WHY and HOW I can possibly be 3 lbs heavier on the scale………..I know it isn’t fat but I also know it’ll take me days – probs a week to see a difference on the scale…………Really annoyed

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi Tallyhoo,
    A suggestion – have a look into the ingredients of the slim rice and see if it’s something that may cause water retention (before it makes its way through your digestive system).
    Best wishes.

• posted by SkyWalker
    on

Salt helps retain water, water is heavy, soup is mainly water, weigh again when you think you have “used” your day’s liquids. Did you also drink tea, coffee, juices etc they can really add up and give you a shock – it has happened to me. Can rice be slim absorbing as much water as it does will add weight?

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

And please DONT PANIC it may not be as bad as you think.

Weight varies so much – oh was 2lbs up first thing in the morning and then after his coffee and a shower was 3lbs down again (so net 1lb loss).

How are your measurements doing? Focus on that and don’t stress (appreciate that’s hard)

Good luck!

• posted by Frog
    on

If its the slim rice made form Konjack – there’s quite a lot on the web about side effects, some good, others not.
    One I saw just now included “slowing the digestive processes’ – I also read that it can also absorb a lot of water, so maybe you need to increase your water intake when you have it. But absorbing the water and slowing the digestive system combined could explain the weight increase.
    I have several packs in the cupboard, but haven’t used it yet.

It must be incredibly frustrating, but hopefully only a temporary blip.

• posted by Tallyhoo
    on

Thanks for your replies everyone…………..have lost 1.8lbs of that 3 lb increase and my blood sugar is returning back to normal – forgot to say before that my fasting bs is now a consistent 5.3-5.5 and it went up to 7.7 the morning after the slim rice! Now down to 5.7 this morning.

Thank you for your support – Igorasusual re fluctuations – that’s why I weigh myself every day at the same time and yes, I have lost inches especially in the last month but this was no normal fluctuation so I shall be throwing my other packet of slim rice into the bin after stamping on it and kicking it into next year! It was weird too – the consistency before cooking was quite rice like – after cooking it was like eating tiny bubbles filled with water – it certainly wasn’t nice and at the time I thought I preferred cauli rice – still it’s all learning isn’t it!!!

• posted by Tallyhoo
    on

Frog: yes sorry it was made from Konjac!

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi Tallyhoo,
    I’m pleased you’ve worked out the ‘problem’. It makes humble cauliflower rice seem like your best friend!
    Also, very interesting the effect the slim rice had on your fasting BGL.
    Best wishes.

• posted by Sandie
    on

Sorry but I laughed at the rice name being KONJAC maybe it should be Conyou. Silmrice sounds very manufactured. I haven’t tried cauliflower rice yet and yesterday bought a large cauliflower ready for the trial. I don’t have a food processor so will try using a hand vegetable chopping machine. I have used this before to chop cauliflower finely to add raw to a mixed salad.

• posted by Timmy
    on

Hi Sandie, apparently grating the cauli works just as well as a food processor, just takes a bit more elbow grease!

• posted by Isabel
    on

I don’t believe it’s productive to weigh yourself every day, weight varies every day. I have a book called ‘Throw Away The Scales” by a professional and he suggests best way to monitor weight loss is by your clothes. I haven’t weighed myself since starting six weeks ago and all my clothes are much looser now. There is so much advice on this blog I suggest you go with what’s best for you, your body and your lifestyle.

• posted by Snaggers
    on

I’m on day 92 of my BSD journey, I’ve lost 48 pounds to date, I religiously weight myself at the same time of day and in the same clothes (In my pjs first thing in the morning has been best for me). Firstly I’ve had comparable spikes of weight gains, these have come with no apparent reason and the only thing it can possibly be is water, so ride it out and let your body return to normal and don’t lose faith! Also take note of the previous day, ask yourself is this a realistic measurement? Also scales are really inconsistent, if I get a a wild reading a will weight myself again 2-3 times until I get a consistent reading. I have also found placing your scales in exactly the same spot every time improves consistency I have a specific tile on the kitchen floor I always use.

In a contrast to Isabel (above) I find knowing a logging my weight loss a MASSIVE boost to my motivation. I log my weight on a google spreadsheet (that I share with family and friends) and it calculates every stat about my loss. The flip is that on days you don’t lose, it can be upsetting, but loss days far outnumber gain days so overall it works for me.

On another note, when I have reached my target weight (another 52 pounds to go) I will NOT be weighing myself everyday.

Overall you need to stick at it, I’ve found that the 8 week time span thing troubled me, I numbered the days on my spreadsheet up to 60 and counted them off, but now the BSD has become more of a way of life and whilst I am still in loss mode I’m less troubled by plateaus and gains and days off (Birthdays etc.) because I know the time I have to lose is the rest of my life. I now exercise daily, I eat really, really well, all my blood results done in week 11 are little short of fantastic. I feel great, I drink (booze) very little, I’m starting to look really good my wife and daughter and son all have all now followed my lead eating nuts, veg, and small portions etc. The main thing in all of this (more important that the weight loss) is that I’m healthy and feeling fab.

Good luck on your journey!

Please log in or register to post a reply.