2022 ! One Week at a Time beginning 18th January 2022

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi everyone and welcome back to Merry.

Not much to report. Took delivery of our new mattress and had a good nights sleep. Not sure if it was the mattress or feeling a bid less stressed. Still keeping on with the dry January although I am counting the days to February. Just booked restaurant for my birthday, it is the same restaurant we were at exactly 2 years ago to the day, just before France went into lockdown. The menu is amazing and not a carb in sight except for the dessert but even that I can choose a fruit based one or cheese.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Thanks for the advice re. cholesterol-lowering options – we cut out all pulses when we started BSD, so it may be time to add these back in a small way, same with oats for breakfast occasionally too, with some added berries. Aubergine – we do eat this, but too often in a melanzane, which sort of defeats the object so maybe more ratatouille and babaghanoush and less melanzane. I usually cook with oilive oil, but some things I have preferred to cook with butter, so I am more consciously using olive oil instead of butter for these things, like mushrooms. We do like oily fish so again a conscious decision to eat these more frequently. Soluble fibre – would psyllium husk fall into this category, and how can we add it to our diet?

Otherwise, we have not had a bad week last week, my 16:8 TRE worked well, but am feeling a bit off this morning so decided to have breakfast – 50g mushrooms sauteed in olive oil, with a poached egg (2 poached eggs for hubby) and will make a chicken broth for lunch today, and some fish from the freezer for supper.

Tomorrow is Burns Night, so homemade haggis, neeps (swede – a small amount) and cabbage, no tatties will be on the menu tomorrow.

Have a good week everyone.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Merry !!!!! Welcome back ! Great to see you !
    Welcome also to Greenbean and prittimistri

This week has flown by . I have been having a bit of a rethink . I decided to try an experiment with Alternate Day Fasting and coped with the first week . I find any weight discard is so much slower now and even though I have well established low carb habits I can stall quite easily if I check on the scales . I feel well , no terrible hunger panngs, no real cravings ( althougth nuts are still an issue for me) so I thought I would continue to see how I get on. JGwen is doing the same experiment .

I am not at all interested in some of the extended fasts I see published online which frankly seem a bit crazy to me but this feels fine . I think what works for me is to change things, shake things up a bit . I will keep you posted !

Anyway it’s time for me to set up the new thread and then I am going to snuggle up in my fluffy onesie and do some drawing 🙂 I drink lots of herbal teas throughout the evening.I find them very warming and comforting.

on

Hi Wendy I know exactly what you are suffering on the scales. I have managed 3.5 lbs in the first 2 weeks and then absolutely nothing for the last week. My daughter has lost around 12 lbs in the same period but, as she pointed out, during the holiday period she pigged out while I still ate within the principles of the diet. So she has gone from having lots of excess to lose whereas we (you and I) have not really taken a break and havent got loads to lose. I would be interested to hear how you shake things up….

Looking forward to another week and will weigh in tomorrow. You never know there might have been a whoosh moment.

• posted by LauraY
    on

Hi everyone- completely new to this forum / diet – started Mon 17th – have lost 9lb in 1st week which I am pleased with. Have a long way to go and just finding my way around the blood sugar recipe book.
    Slightly confused at all the different forum headings … do I join 1 and post and stick to it or jump in to several?
    Would appreciate learning more about recipes and how to work out how many carbs / calories to aim for each day. Very new to this but loving it so far. Cannot believe how hungry I am not! Not had one snack all week and tending to have brunch and dinner and that’s it. Only observation is I have woken in pain in joints today and felt like I had run a marathon ( I haven’t!!!) am wondering whether I should be taking any supplements or am I getting enough of everything with the plan I am following ? 800 calories for 8 weeks.
    Thanks all x

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Hi LauraY – Welcome! You are in the right place for loads of helpful advice and tips. You’ve made a great start – congratulations.
    For some ideas for foods – and how high in carbs some foods are take a look at the Diet Doctor pages. You don’t have to pay or join to use these pages – just browse.
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/guides
    It is amazing how the snacking cravings are reduced by this WOE (way of eating 😉 )
    Many here use an app to track their foods and carbs etc – like My fitness Pal. I use Easy Diet Diary which is good if you are in Australia. There are several others. This can really help track your foods. I think many people here follow the plan of lower carbs as an important part of wellness (and weight loss).
    We had a really guru on this site called Esnecca. This is a link where Wendy posted Esnecca’s journey. You might find it interesting. https://thebloodsugardiet.com/forums/topic/one-week-at-a-time-beginning-march-10th-2020/#post-122793
    And also take a look 👀 at this forum https://thebloodsugardiet.com/forums/topic/take-a-look-at-this/ where links to interesting videos and articles are posted.
    cheers
    Merry 🌺

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Hi Wendy and all – so terrific to read that your son is on his way back to you ✈.
    All the best with your ADF – does that mean you are doing a liquid only 24 hours? 36 Hours ? (dinner thru to breakfast on 2nd day?)
    I am in day 4 of my reboot. Going well so far and keeping carbs low. I’m in keto (using the breath meter) so that is motivating and I will aim to stay there for a few weeks. Just finished halloumi and salad for lunch. Salmon and veggies planned for dinner.
    Merry 🌺

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi everyone.
    I had such a simple task this week …. lose 1.2lbs to get to my first mini goal for the year. Well, it’s not been my finest hour! I didn’t take into account that we were going to have a few days away …. result gain of 2.8lbs! Goal for this week to get to my first goal now means a 4lb loss which I think might be very hard.
    Wendy, s-g I think because our bodies are so used to this way of eating that it becomes increasingly difficult to lose weight. Possibly a shake up of food, different meals maybe more veggie or fish might work. Or indeed ADF although I find fasting really difficult.
    Laura lots of us use the FatSecret app/ website to track carbs/cals.
    Well last week of January is upon us and I can’t let this year disappear into the abyss like 2021. So with no distractions in the pipeline I will try my very best this week.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi LauraY,
    Welcome to the forum, there is no external moderator setting up the forums, its left to members. Some of us prefer to set targets on a weekly basis, others prefer to make a longer plan so there is a thread running up to easter. Its up to you which you join in with, some people join both.

There is also threads on specific topics, such as a positives thread where people post their 3 positives of the day. a thread just for good soup reciepes, a thread where we have shared links to articles and useful research.

Some of us just use the heading of latests posts to read all the most recent posts on any thread.

—————————

Well done on your initial loss. When we eat a high carb diet our body needs to store water to help it process the carbs. When you cut out the carbs the body releases the water. Most of the weight you discarded in the first week is water. When our bodies discard water we also loose electrolytes, which we do need to replace by increasing our salt intake. Your aches and may be linked to a need for extra salt.

I notice in your profile you mention that you have been diagnosed as being T2. Are you on medication, or have you agreed with your GP that you will first try to reverse the diagnosis through diet.?

• posted by florob85
    on

Hi Laura and welcome, we’re a lovely bunch xx

I’m back in for another week, I’m now down 11lb in three weeks which is unheard of for me, but obviously good.

I’ve been reading along with everyone’s posts, welcome back to all returners, well done to all who are going great guns and big hugs to all who need it

I’m not in a great space mentally at the moment, let’s say it’s been a difficult week, and my sincerest thanks go to Wendy and Tulip for checking in with me in private and showing so much love! Anyway so I’ll be dipping in and out, and may not be able to concentrate on who said what or did what etc. as my brain is very foggy at the moment, but rest assured I’m here with you all in spirit!

I’m just planning todays meals, I think mozzarella, chicken, pesto and piquant peppers for lunch with a handful of almonds and mayyyyybe kung pao chicken for tea. Last night I invented a new dish and I have to say it was delicious. I used to make a SW “cheeseburger pasta” recipe – obviously not BSD friendly due to the pasta, but I thought “why don’t I make the mix and put it in a pepper?” – so I had cheeseburger stuffed pepper with some mixed salad leaves and pickles and it was really tasty. Although I have to say plating the pasta on my partners dish was not the easiest!

Lauren x

on

Hi all, just popped in to say hi to LauraY and clarify a point. As mentioned, threads on the site can sometimes run and run, i.e. Positive Thoughts, or can be medium term like The 100 days to Easter, or, like this one which only last a week at a time. Today this thread becomes defunct as we all move over onto a new week (with the date in it… 25th is next). The purpose of this thread is that we can all have a bad week and want to forget it, it is a fresh start no matter how you are doing. It is also a mix of people at so many different phases in their weight loss story or, even people with diabetes trying to improve their numbers. Also we chat about anything, whereas some threads are on a specific subject.

Anyway, my point is, this thread has now moved to a new week and we hope to see you there. Especially for me, as someone mentioned you are T2 and might want to see how others, like me, are doing with our blood results etc. See ya.

Please log in or register to post a reply.