ONE WEEK AT A TIME beginning March 10th 2020

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Let’s keep the momentum going folks…encouraging and supporting each other and building on those victories, however slight.
    Let’s choose to be healthy, to set ourselves up for a bright future , free of the burdens that have “weighed us down’ for so long. I have been reading a lot about food addiction and I am convinced that I was most certainly a carb and sugar addict. It took me a long time and many , many failed attempts to deal with that addiction .
    Don’t let anything throw you off course , that is the addiction that is urging you to eat the carbage …but work through it. We can deprive ourselves of a sugar loaded snack but we can’ t deprive ourselves of good health . We are so worth it !!!

• posted by wendleg
    on

Yes, I went back to work today, thanks everyone for your good wishes. I was pleased to be able to climb the 3 flights of stairs to my classroom without discomfort. I used to be really breathless and needing a break .
    I admit to feeling tired but I expect it will take me a few days to readjust to early starts.

I will get back to my routine. Wishing you all a successful week !!!

• posted by Olive_1
    on

Hi all, I’m in for another week.
    Last week’s result was zero, but know I was down 0.5 kg before the weekend and a night out set me back.
    Wendleg, I agree totally on the sugar/carb addiction and believe it applies to me. I’ve also read a lot about this. It’s hard to come to terms with the abstinence model though, no extra carbs allowed – ever. Hard!
    Hope for a good week!

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi Olive_1
    The way I see it is that I have gradually trained myself to re think the (fleeting) pleasurable sensations associated with carbs and sugar and instead to see them as damaging to my health.

I initially thought I would be able to gradually reincorporate carbs as I progressed and discarded weight but I understand that for me that is not possible and I no longer consider abstinence as deprivation.
    There are many , many foods I enjoy and they are whole foods, no processed stuff and they are doing me good.
    I was totally out of control around sugar and carbs and I don’t want to put myself through that …ever again.
    I am not saying this is what works for everyone. Maybe it is possible for some people to add in extra carbs but I would prefer more nuts and avocados 😉

Esnecca discussed this once on the forum and it was an eye opener for me . I will seek out her post and you will see what I mean.

• posted by wendleg
    on

I really really wish Esnecca was still posting but at least we can still learn from her experience. This post explains just that .

“Plumpgoose, so many of us have been there and know exactly what you’re talking about. My bloods were on the higher range of normal even when I weighed more than 320+ lbs at 5’2″. It was my insulin levels that were sky-high, and diabetes was only a matter of time, meanwhile the insulin itself made it impossible for me to lose weight because its job is to store fat. I never really dieted, just get putting on weight steadily for years as I followed the usual advice about low fat foods and whole grains. Like you, I could barely walk a block, my knees ached, I never got a decent’s night’s sleep, I was uncomfortable sitting, standing, walking, peeing, you name it.
    When I finally decided to stop living this way, the first thing I did was cut all carbs, whole grain or not. No bread, pasta, pizza, potatoes, sugar. I lost about 20 pounds that way (judging solely on fit of clothes; I hadn’t weighed myself in years) then stalled. In August of 2016, I bought the Blood Sugar Diet and decided to give it a try. I knew within days that this was the solution I’d been looking for. I got on the BSD bus and kept going until I reached my goal. I weighed myself for the first time the last week in August and I weighed 297 lbs. I reached my goal of 130 lb a year later. In November 2017 I reached the secret ultra dream goal of 120 lb, my high school weight. I did the 800 calorie ultra-low carb diet the entire time. No breaks.
    As far as exercise goes, I started with the easiest stuff I could find, a 10-minute chair aerobics routine for seniors with mobility issues. (I was 44 at the time, but so obese that I might as well have been 80 and in a wheelchair.) I added a very brief walk around the block. It took me 20 minutes because I had to stop twice along the route to catch my breath. As I felt better, the walks got longer and I developed an hour-long resistance band routine to strengthen my muscles without causing injuries.
    So yeah, girl, this is it. I was a barely functional wreck and now I’m fit as a cricket. Here’s how I armed myself. Get a kitchen scale. Put it on the counter. Keep it there. Weigh ingredients and calculate their calorie and carb content using an app like MyFitnessPal or Fat Secret. Decide what your maximum level of daily carb grams should be. Mine is 20 grams, which is very low, but it is the best way to ensure my insulin levels never spike and better safe than sorry. Other people aim for 50 grams or lower as this seems to be a common sweet spot to put you in fat-burning mode. Pick the number of meals you’ll eat a day. I skip breakfast because I’ve never cared to eat when I first wake up, and it’s a lot nicer to have 800 cals to play with divided over two than three. Establish an evening cutoff time, the earlier the better. No later than 8PM would be my advice.
    Are you a home cook or do you usually buy prepared food? What kinds of foods are currently in your routine? Do you have any food allergies? Use what you’re accustomed to as a jumping off point and just cut the carbs out them.

Welcome to the journey of a lifetime, Plumpgoose. The trophy at the end of it is health and happiness that will obliterate all those years of pain and self-loathing. The terrible things you think about yourself are not true. Your body is stuck in an insulin overproduction cycle that nobody ever told you about, is all. You are going to extricate yourself from it and look in wonder at the person you always were but never knew.’

• posted by wendleg
    on

Right, now here is the post that resonated with me ……………….it says it all

Hiya Mel, old timers on this forum will know exactly what I’m about to say because it’s a bit of a refrain of mine, but I can’t help myself. All kinds of foods are pleasurable. Why should sweets, pasta or bread be given a privileged status over smoked salmon or a spinach salad with a tangy blue cheese dressing or deviled eggs with kimchi or a filet mignon with green beans almondine? There’s nothing inherent in cake that makes it “better” than anything else flavor-wise, and its main ingredients are the direct cause of a global pandemic of diabesity so it is very distinctly WORSE by any other possible metric.
    Embracing this way of life is so much more mental than anything else. I truly believe that thinking wistfully about certain foods as if they were this wonderful glittering gold treasure instead of a destructive force that puts your body under incalculable stress is one of the biggest obstacles to achieving your health and weight loss goals. You’ve been extremely successful already with time restricted eating. You attacked it head-on and look how quickly one meal a day has become easy for you. A few years ago I’m sure you would have blanched at the thought of not eating three squares plus snacks. Do not underestimate yourself. Do not flinch. Do not avoid. Get out your kitchen scales, weigh, measure and count. Find out what you’re really eating and discard the elements that are too high in carbs. You can do it.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

I too am in for another week. Still hovering just above target, but I can tell from the way my body feels (by this I mean literally by running my hands over my abdomen) that the scales will catch up soon.
    Tried on the dress I risked buying for daughter’s wedding and it now fits perfectly. So I know, come the event, as long as I am within a pound or so of target weight, the dress will fit fine.
    Still striving to get a little under my target weight, to give me some wriggle room for our trip to Turkey ….. assuming corona doesn’t scupper our plans!
    Hope we will be seeing everyone continuing along with us.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi Sunny !!! I know that target is important to you but your dress fitting perfectly is MAGIC !!! Remind us of the date for your daughter’s wedding ? How does it coincide with your trip to Turkey ?

The scales will show those numbers soon but give yoursef a massive pat on the back for perservering and never giving up !

• posted by Russianroulade
    on

Evening all. I’m in for another week. This is the start of week 4. Weight loss seems to have stalled a bit. I’ve put on 1/2 pound, but overall there was still a 2.5 pound loss in week 3. Given I went out for dinner and had 2 glasses of wine and some ice cream on Friday at an anniversary dinner, I suppose I can’t ask for anymore. In terms of NSVs, the dress I wore out on Friday night, fitted much better than when I wore it out for new year. Just frustrated as if I could shift 2 more pounds I would have done a stone. Still here’s hoping for this week. Have really enjoyed reading your inspiring posts Wendeleg. They are keeping me going. Come on guys we’ve got this,. Let’s nail this week.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Wendy, thanks for bringing those posts from Essneca to the for, I’m sure they will strike a chord with many.
    My daughter hasn’t set a wedding date yet, but it will probably towards the end of next year, so I have an excellent reason to continue maintaining with discipline.
    Russianroulade, that stone will soon be history … will look forward to celebrating with you when you hit that marker. Meanwhile, congrats on feeling more comfortable in your dress.

• posted by Olive_1
    on

Thanks Wendy for those inspiring posts. There is so much knowledge and compassion on this forum!

• posted by EllieAllegra
    on

Hi lovely BSDs, So I’ve been back on it today since having a busy few days with work – conferences and hotels meant I had more kcals than I’d planned but no major harm done hopefully. I’ve been in a lot of pain over the last couple of days but still feeling positive that the BSD will help me feel better. I need to up my water from tomorrow as I’d eased off a bit whilst away (didn’t want too many toilet breaks whilst working lol). Hope everyone is feeling well 🙂

• posted by Kimeliz
    on

I’m in too for another week. Wendleg, thanks so much for reposting Esnecca’s wisdom. It all resonates with me and will help me to double down on this.
    We’re calling the airline today as several flight legs have been cancelled due to Covid. We’re still hoping to get to Europe as we have not seen our son for 18 months. Fingers crossed the trip will still go ahead. The good news is I have no desire to ‘stress eat’. I’m delighted about that! KOKO everyone. Kim

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Thanks for setting up the thread Wendy. I’m in for another week as well.
    Progress is still being made on the size front, but not on the scales. I managed a 42hr fast over the weekend, but didn’t lose a gram. It’s a bit disappointing in spite of the fact that my waist still seems to be getting smaller. I know I must still be losing fat and that is really important, but I’m going to mix things up a bit this week to see if I can get weight to shift. Will report back if I manage it and if it works or not.
    Gill33 – I am almost exactly at the same weight as you. Let’s do this this week and see if we can say goodbye to the 14st’s! Given how slowly I’ve been discarding, it will be something close to a miracle if I manage to do it, but might as well set it as a stretch goal!

• posted by Bryla
    on

Hi everyone. Good to read about everyone’s positive attitudes and determination, as ever.

I have a gain on the scales for the first time since starting BSD. I’ve had a tough time with withdrawal symptoms since a change in my medication. Racing heart and tremors have been really unpleasant for 4 days now and I have had very little appetite (so gain probably not down to what I’m eating). However, I have been thirsty and drinking water like a fish, so perhaps extra fluid explains the gain, along with my body trying to cope with some stress. I understand these symptoms shouldn’t last more than 7 days, so trying to breath through it. I’m also trying to stay curious about how my body is managing big changes, rather than stressing about numbers. I am inspired by Ellie Allegra’s attitude, despite the pain she is experiencing.
    So great about your perfectly fitting dress, SunnyB! And keeping my fingers crossed for your visit to your son, Kim. Thanks for keeping me company on the journey, everyone.

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

Wendy you are a guru and currently my hero! I know that moderation for me isnt really achievable adn i am also trying to loose the mind set that “treats” need to be sugary and carby. Even when I think I’m hungry i try to challenge myself as to what i really want to eat….and i realise it is mostly in my head and that carbs arent actually that appealing. I guess we are just so conditioned to think, ‘oh I’m hungry, and I’ve been goo, i deserve cake’. Its so so wrong. Breaking that cycle is the aim.

Anyhoo…. I’m in for another week, Down 3.25lbs since last Wednesday and I actually cant tell you how delighted i am with myself. Ive worked for it, its not easy, but its achievable and it works!

Thank you everyone for sharing the journey, through the ups and downs, its so fascinating and good to see its not easy for everyone all of the time. Life is rough and the wee achievements are awesome. Well done peeps.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

The positivity and determination on this thread is really energising and inspiring. We all struggle at times to keep the carb demons in their box, but the fact that we all keep going regardless, is testament to how strong we really are now that we are empowered by this way of eating.
    Arcticfox, that is frustrating, but sometimes it takes a day or two for the scales to catch up, so I’m sure you will see some movement down on the scales soon.
    Bryla, hope your body adjusts soon and this nasty withdrawal reaction becomes history. Don’t worry about the blip on the scales, it will soon balance out again. Weight discard is not completely linear and the odd blip upwards is common … if a bit annoying. Be gentle with yourself and that small gain will soon be history.
    WindyJulz, you’re making great progress and it will get easier as the days and weeks tick by.

‘If you’re facing in the right direction, all you need to do is keep on walking forwards.’

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Bryla,
    Just to put your mind at rest about the weight gain when you are suffering from a withdrawal reaction.

One litre of water weighs 1kg. So if you drink 2 ltr of water over the course of the day your weight will fluctuate by up to 2kg depending on where you are in terms of water in / water out.

• posted by Bryla
    on

Thanks, SunnyB and JGwen. I do know you are right, but somehow it’s so much more reassuring coming from you guys than just inside my head. Still drinking enough to put a camel to shame, so no scales would be sensible for a while, I think. Right now am more concerned about going to a big meeting this afternoon with the shakes and people thinking I’ve got something contagious!

• posted by Gill33UK
    on

I’m back, posted on last week’s thread in error! I had a great holiday, absolutely shattered still but got back on track on Saturday and am still there Tuesday! I put on 6lbs on holiday but am fairly confident I can budge it again within the next week or two.
    I drank far too much larger, red wine and rum whilst away and not so much water so that will not have helped but was determined to have fun! You would think at 52 I would know better! It was Carnival month so we ended up joining in as there was no chance of sleep for the first 4 days/nights. Our hotel was right in the square of carnival central!
    Not had a chance to have a catch up on the thread but will do now I am getting caught up at work, hope you all have a good week and returning to work not too hard after your recuperation Wendy?

Calling this WK6 as holiday week didn’t count so starting weight on Saturday was 14 st 4lb, the only was is down.

• posted by Gill33UK
    on

Arcticfox – yes lets! Best of luck to you! My clothes are still feeling more comfortable so hoping the damage is short term from my holidays!

• posted by SunnySideUp
    on

Hello everyone!
    I’m in for my 10th week!
    Many thanks to Wendy, Arcticfox and JGwen for answering my question on loose skin on last weeks thread! Very helpful and reassuring!
    Good luck to all of you!

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Thanks SunnyB for the reminder that it may take a few days for the scale to catch up after that fast. I think the last time that I fasted for that long it took a couple days as well. I wasn’t intending on fasting again today, but ended up being so busy at work that I didn’t have time to eat. At lunch I only had time for either a short walk or to eat, so I chose walking as I felt like my head would explode if I didn’t get some fresh air. I’ve been a bit hungry this evening, but otherwise feeling fine, so I’ve decided to keep going overnight for at least 36 hours.
    Even though it feels like I’ve been discarding so slowly, I had a bit of a reality check today when I did the conversion from kg to stones and lbs. I am within a whisker of having lost a whole stone since I started weighing myself again 9 weeks ago, so really not too shabby when I look at it that way.

• posted by IKeeptrying
    on

Hi everyone I’m still keeping on. I started last Wednesday so this is the end of my first week. I weighed myself this morning and it looks like I’ve lost about 3 lb 😀 which is a good start considering I’ve not been fasting because of having GORD and a hiatus hernia. My jeans feel looser but maybe thats wishful thinking – or they’re getting baggy because they need a wash.

My first week has been a bit haphazard as I’ve been working out my plan – I know my big problem is I that eat too much so I’m trying to cut my meals down in quantity and keep to quality unprocessed foods as far as possible, as well as cutting down on carbs – they don’t do me any good anyway.

I wonder if I’m in the right place as I’m not diabetic as far as I know, but you’re all so friendly and helpful and I like this way of eating and it suits me, and all the medical advice for my acid reflux/ digestive problems recommends a low carb Mediterranean style diet. so I’ll stay if that’s ok

Keep going everyone 😀

• posted by EllieAllegra
    on

Well done IKeeptrying! 🙂 I am not diabetic either (although if I carried on in a few years time I could be), but am enjoying the BSD way of eating for all the other health reasons, including trying to reduce inflammation (a significant issue for me). Lovely to hear about your jeans feeling loose – after a week mine are too 🙂 – even though I had 2 days of normal eating (slightly lower carb though). I officially started week 2 yesterday – I’ll look forward to hearing how you are getting on too! 🙂

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hi all, a quick check in to report that the scales moved a slight bit. Down to 90.1kg this morning. Although it is a post-fast weight, and I know it will go up again, at least there was some downward movement for a change. Also, this is the first weigh-in I’ve had since re-starting that is in the overweight range of BMI instead of obese, 29.8, so small little victories.

• posted by Gill33UK
    on

Arcticfox, nice one, I snuck on the scales this morning too and have shifted 2lb of my 6lbs gain over my holiday since my Saturday morning weigh in! 🙂 First night with NO booze in two weeks, slept like an owl but know it will benefit my weight loss come Saturday! Keep at it!

• posted by wendleg
    on

Sorry, work is getting in the way of my posting. It is getting easier as the week progresses and the stairs are not causing any concern !
    You are doing fine Russianroulade and as Sunny has said, you will soon reach that stone discard.

Keep going EllieAllegra. The inflammation and pain will ease . You will feel better staying low carb and you will see those health benefits.
    Kimeliz I do hope your travel plans are not totally disrupted so you can see your soon. My boys are on the other side of the world and I understand it’s hard. You are in that last 10kg bracket so keep that target in sight !

Articfox, fasting doesn’t always show an immediate discard for me either. . It seems to balance out and then the results appear a bit later down the line.I do think it has tremendous health benefits though.You are a brilliant example of someone who sees changes in measurements, clothes and body composition and less on the scales.
    I hope things settle and you feel better soon,as you get your medication sorted, Bryla. You show great determination and nothing gets you down for long so be proud of yourself.
    WindyJulz …I don’t see myself as a guru . That made me smile ! I learnt everything from the lovely people on the forum who answered all my daft questions. I am also very stubborn as I have already mentioned !! Esnecca was very inspirational and I am glad her words resonated with you and others on the thread xxx

Of course you are in the right place I KeepTrying ! Don’t worry. You are making positive changes for your health.
    Well done on tackling the holiday gain, Gill33Uk !
    It’s great that you are staying with us , SunnySideUp ! 10 weeks already ! Brilliant !
    Just saying Hi to Yowzer who I think is more active on the Positives Thread. We miss you Yowzer.
    I hope anyone reading the thread who is hesitating about posting decides to come back and let us know how they are doing.
    I am missing news from Amz
    Scottishgal….you have gone very quiet.
    I am sure there are others we need to gather in but I have to go to bed now . I have a very long day tomorrow but I will check in as soon as I can xx
    Keep going everyone xx

• posted by Bryla
    on

Great work so far this week, everyone! Hitting those mini goals and waymarkers is always a real boost, isn’t it?
    IKeepTrying- we all have our own challenges and concerns, but I think what we share is a wish to improve our wellbeing and a belief that we have the power to do that. It seems to me that everyone is welcome!
    I’m feeling much better. I think it was hard for me to deal with feeling so rotten having discovered that I could feel so good just by making good food decisions for myself. But we can’t control everything and the short-term discomfort was actually part of the journey to much-improved health. You are right, Wendleg, that nothing gets me down for long, but it hasn’t always been that way. I am lucky to be in a better place in my life emotionally than I’ve been for many years and that probably makes my journey easier than it is for some of us.
    I felt great yesterday in some skinny jeans in a ‘small size’. The last time I was this size and shape I don’t think skinny jeans had even been conceived of! 😆 I finally feel like the spare tyre is beginning to deflate. Hooray!
    Hang in there everyone! Sending lots of love and strength to all. I too would love to know how Amz is doing. I find her determination and strength humbling. Hope she’s okay, and that she’ll give us a shout regardless.

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Nice work on the discard, Gill33UK!
    Wendy, glad to hear that you are getting your mobility back and things are getting easier.
    IKeepTrying, it’s perfectly ok if you’re not diabetic. I’m not either, although I’m sure I was pushing up to being that way, especially given that I have a family history of T2. I do have mild reactive hypoglycemia though, and find that this woe does suit me. The combination of fasting, and fat and fibre in meals seems to help keep me from spiking and crashing.
    I ended up having 3 meals today, which I haven’t done in ages, but felt like I needed the nutrition after 2 longer (for me) fasts so far this week. So not expecting much in the way of discard over the next day or so, but will likely do another fast on Friday if I feel good. I’ve been wondering if I’ve been a bit short on protein with only 2 meals a day on eating days, so I’m trying to get between 20 and 30g in each meal now and we’ll see if that helps with discarding some weight.
    Busy day at work tomorrow, so might not be able to check in, but will be back Friday for sure.

• posted by Gill33UK
    on

Morning, my will power is certainly back! My husband is trying to sabotage me! He got a promotion on Monday and bought a bottle of wine to celebrate, I originally said no I wasn’t drinking and he said it was to celebrate his promotion so I felt bad and drank it! Had Tuesday off (we usually take it in turned EVERY night to buy it!) as it was my turn and I am not buying any, then Wednesday night he bought me two bottles, I have put them in the wine rack and had black tea and water!! Silly to be smug about it but after my holidays I am determined to stay on track, if I can stay out of the biscuit tin all day at work, eat healthy balanced meals then I can surely not have a drink!!!
    I have blood tests on the 17th for my medication, last time I was pre-diabetic and blood pressure through the roof, this time I am hoping for better!
    I work with my twin, she started the same time as me but on the Cambridge diet, but due to the passing of her Mother in Law and other personal reasons she has been in the wrong place, she is part doing this with me and is going to start on Monday so hope we can keep each other on the straight and narrow. My other sister inspired me to start, she looks fab, not sure of her total loss but she has done so well.
    Good luck everyone

• posted by Russianroulade
    on

HELP!!!! It’s Wednesday of Week 4 and I have plateaued. I have been hovering up and done by 3/4 of a pound around the same weight for a week. Things seem to have stalled. I’m sticking to plan and recording everything. I’m motivated by my weight loss, so not going to give up. But would be grateful for any tips around kick starting my weight loss again.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Really feel for you RussianR, it is so frustrating when things stall in this way, but in all likelihood it’s just your body taking time to adjust.
    Stalling in weeks 3 and 4 is common and whilst it is tough working through it, it will pass …. promise. If things don’t start heading in the right direction by this time next week, perhaps check your carb intake is low enough – it’s surprising where they hide out and not all calories are equal when balanced against the carb content. Also be sure you are hydrating well, as poor hydration can hinder weight discard too.
    Mainly though, hard as it is, try to be patient…. it will come right.

• posted by IKeeptrying
    on

Hi all hope everyone is doing ok
    Ellieallegra I’m interested in the effect that certain foods can have on inflammation in our body and that so many conditions can be attributable to inflammation. I’ve found this Knowledge useful when trying to understand why I was diagnosed with GORD and an inflamed oesophagus and to know what would help to treat it. -I’ve found the healthline website useful for info on this issue .

I’m glad we are welcome on this site whatever our needs and goals. I do worry that if I carry on eating in the way I was I’d have been close to being pre diabetic, also my mum has Alzheimer’s disease as well as age related macular degeneration and although all the evidence says it’s not heredity, only certain types, our bodies might react in similar way to diet and lifestyle factors. I wrack my brains trying to work out what may have caused it. This way of eating It’s such a sensible way of eating everybody should be encouraged to eat in this way and I’m sure it helps alleviate illness and prolong life.

So, on that serious note I’m off – keeping on…..

• posted by EllieAllegra
    on

Hi everyone, I’ve had such a busy couple of days but feeling more settled now. Great to hear about everyone’s progress – I weighed myself earlier and looks like I’ve lost 5lbs since I started – which I’m pleased about, although it is only a drop in the ocean for me at my current weight. Ikeeptrying – yes, I’ve read so much about inflammation and the impact of diet, which is why I’m so keen to keep going. Interestingly, I had some bread at lunchtime yesterday (got caught out with very limited choices) and although I was within my carb range for the day (according to MFP), I felt really sluggish and puffy this morning 🤔 Anyway, I’m still trying to move forwards! My mobility has improved since the weekend and I’m grateful for that! Anyway, hope everyone is doing well – sending happy, healthy wishes to everyone 🙂

• posted by PhoenixBurns
    on

Still lurking here, work has gone mad this last two weeks. All going well until today, when work and carbs ambushed me! I didn’t so much fall off the wagon as dive headlong off it into the biscuit barrel. Ho hum, tomorrow is another day!
    Until I weigh in tomorrow morning I am at my lowest weight since I was about 18 (25 years ago) and now need a belt on my new suit. NSV!
    Still feeling good about my new body shape. I was told I looked a lot younger than before, happy days.
    Anyway back to business continuity planning…. Koko everyone.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Phoenix … don’t worry, the biscuit barrel dive is unlikely to have a huge impact and whatever blip there is, you know you have the tools to deal with immediately. However, is sounds like you are really flying and have the maintenance thing cracked. Please do keep us posted as and when time permits, the more the merrier.

• posted by mumofStig
    on

I’m still here, although last weekend I had a “high carb, up to about 1200 calories” day 🙁 Not a total lack of control but a few extras for a special occasion.
    The result was that I only lost half a lb this week – (and I’m still not ‘going’ very often which also makes a big difference!)

Keep up the good work everybody 🙂

• posted by Olive_1
    on

Hello, hope you are all doing ok in these shaky Corona virus times.
    I was shopping last night and couldn’t help noticing what people are hoarding, a lot of it is carbs. Lot’s of pasta, rice etc (perhaps understandable) but also huge amounts of snacks and candy. Apparently it is essential for survival – for some.
    Nobody was touching the pick-and-mix though.
    Anyway, my week is going well after last week being slow. Have managed 4 days with TRE, close to 16:8, and it seems to give some result. Am not finding hunger to be a problem, but breaking and making new habits is hard. Find myself a bit lost in the morning without my breakfast.
    Have a good weekend, and be safe.

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

Articfox, it’s great to hear you are doing well, and that you feel good. These fasting days are healing you, and quicker than if you ate every day.
    Wendy, you have had a hard time with hospital admissions. Hope you and your OH have a peaceful time despite the school work. I love hearing snippets of Esnecca’s wisdom.

• posted by Bryla
    on

Hi everyone. Happy weekend!
    Great to hear from you, PhoenixB. Hope you feel great about you continued progress. Recapturing your 18 yo body is amazing! Very easy to trip into a biscuit barrell, but I’m sure it won’t make a dent in your success.

Olive- I noticed exactly the same thing at the supermarket yesterday! Not long ago that would have been me stocking up on comfort food in case of stress or boredom. Luckily the fresh veg section was unaffected.

It’s the start of week 10 for me and my birthday today . I’m 4lbs from target weight and definitely feel and look better than I did a decade ago. Feeling very happy and proud, especially after quite a tough week or so. I don’t have any desire to gorge myself on treats like I once might have done. Will enjoy a birthday lunch with family, but taking my own salad to go with chicken. Everyone has adjusted to what they thought were my strange new habits now!

Hang in there everyone. We know we are all doing something important and kind for ourselves even on the days and weeks when things don’t go quite to plan.

• posted by caronl
    on

Happy Birthday Bryla! I think you have already given yourself the best present ever, by doing so well on this new way of eating. Very best wishes for the coming year.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone.
    Well, very strange times. I completed my first week back and on Thursday evening the decision was made to close all French schools so we have to adjust to a new way of working to keep kids motivated and off their video games ! We have meetings on Monday and Tuesday to organise things but it looks like I am going to be working from home a lot. I was pleased that I coped well with the stairs and felt less tired as the week progressed.I managed to fit in two extended fasts and I felt great. A bit of a back to work reboot !

Hi articfox !
    I love the way you question and adjust to what is happening but you never give up ! You are a star !

Yes, Gill33UK, others don’t always think we have to abstain ‘all the time’ and I am sure your hubby meant well wanting you to join in his celebratory drink( congrats on his promtion !) but stay firm.It’s your body, your decision and he should know you don’t love him less because you drink black tea instead of wine. My hubby regularly comes back from the bar here with a mega family bag of crisps and offers me them . Never in a thousand years would I be tempted and he knows that ;-)! All the very best for your blood tests. We have high hopes for you ! We look forward to seeing your twin sister on the forum. She would be very welcome.
    Russianroulade, as Sunny has said, a weight plateau at your stage is no cause for panic and just keep going as you are doing and the discard will start again.

I love your positive attitude and focus on your health, Ikeeptrying ! You have definitely made the right decision and I feel confident your anxieties will cease.

EllieAllegra , you obviously have a very busy time at work so well done for keeping on track. So glad your mobility is improving. The inflammation will definitely improve and help you feel better.

Good to see you PhoenixBurns and we all congratulate you on your great results. I think it is important to be mindful of complacency slipping in. It’s easy to think that the results are there so a bit of excess won’t do any harm 😉 That caused me to eat more choc and nuts ! Never biscuits though 😉 You are clearly aware of it so we are not anxious PB. Keep checking in !

MumofStig, ok your calories were up but not massively excessive to cause you to gain so no worries. I always add chia seeds to yoghurt and I occasionaly have pysillium husks in water to cope with transit issues. It’s important to drink lots.
    Olive_1. You are doing great . I read somewhere it takes 9 weeks for new habits to be fully established so don’t worry about finding the adjustment hard. It will happen.I never believed I could give up some of the crappy foods I stuffed but now I actually feel revulsion at them and crave a fresh green lettuce 😉
    If you miss breakfast why not include it ( an egg dish ??) and then adjust during the day ? I never eat breakfast and often miss lunch when I am working and now I don’t even think about it. New habits do get established. Do what feels best for you.

Hi Patricia ! Good to see you ! I feel fine but work didn’t last long …I only completed one week !!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Bryla !!!! So close to target weight, that is fantastic ! You always stay focused and positive , questioning and pro active ! Don’t you diappear on us when you start maintaining ! You are a very valuable member of our thread !

Hi caronl ! Always good to see you. You were one of my inspiring advisors early on and you remain so !!

Anyway take care everyone. We are in the best place to look after our immune systems !
    Lots of love xx

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hi everyone, I am having a quiet weekend at home like lots of people. I went way off piste with some serious comfort eating on Thurs evening. I’ve been having a hard time at work with one of the managers that came to a head in a meeting, and probably it wasn’t helped by the fact that I received some not so good news regarding my vertigo at my specialist appointment right before that. I’m still in limbo now though as I am now waiting to get in to see a neurologist, and the waiting is really the worst part because that allows me to catastrophize about what could be wrong. I expect I will slowly get back to things, but definitely don’t feel like fasting at the moment. I made some healthy low carb things today for the fridge and freezer, so that should help going forward.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Sorry you are struggling, arcticfox, having undiagnosed medical issues is inevitable worrying, no matter how much we try not too. Hooe you will soon have an answer add be able to get back to full fitness.
    It is tough when there are stressers in more than one area of our lives, so hopefully you’ll be able to resolve the work related problem, now that it has come to a head.
    Meanwhile, be gentle with yourself and do what you can BSDwise, but don’t turn it into another issue to be resolved.
    Big hugs to you.

• posted by Kimeliz
    on

Still here and still plodding on. It’s been a seriously stressful week and sadly we have had to cancel the trip to Europe to see our son and also the family wedding. Somehow, now that the decision is made, we feel less stressed, just very sad. I’ve been seriously tempted to comfort eat and had the odd sliver of my grandson’s birthday cake. Wine creep has begun in earnest so I will work on that. I noticed I was becoming avoidant of the scales and that is a sure sign for me that I’ve lost the motivation to keep going. I recognised it, gave myself a good talking to and feel I will hopefully be ok. Not too long ago, I would have justified piling into the carbs with this upheaval. I’ve put away the wedding outfit which was a big motivation for me losing weight in addition to the health reasons. My gorgeous wedding shoes are unworn and not too sure when they might get an outing.
    Anywho, onwards. This awful phase has to end at some point and we’ll all be able to safely move around the world again. Stay safe everyone and KOKO. Kim

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone. I have had to take a bit of time to take stock this weekend as things have moved very quickly in France. It all feels very strange to imagine bars, cafés and restaurants being closed here when it is such a major part of French culture. Most shops are closed apart from essential services.
    I am working from home to send work to my pupils . It’s all very disturbing but we must stay calm and adjust as best we can.

Kim, I am so sorry to hear that your trip and the family wedding has been cancelled.Remember things are totally out of your control. The wedding will happen.Remember we have ways to communicate with our friends and family that keep us in touch . I fully understand it is sad but try not to let the situation throw you completely because it will just make you feel worse.

The wedding outfit should not be your only motivation for your weight discard. In these unsettling times it is more important than ever to focus on staying healthy and reinforcing our immune systems. Carb loading will just make you feel sluggish and run down and you need to stay well.
    You know all this and I am sending you a big big hug. Where are you Kim ?

We are not medically trained and so we cannot advise on the thread to anyone who has health concerns but we are a supportive bunch and all we can do is to continue to offer solidarity and a friendly space to share.
    My approach is to drink lots of water, to eat as I have done with lots of fresh and fermented veg and healthy fats and protein. I feel well and I intend to do my utmost to stay that way.
    Stay strong folks , look after yourselves xx

• posted by Gill33UK
    on

Morning all, managed to get to 14st not quite the 13 something I was hoping for but still lost 4lbs of the 6lbs I put on and going in the right direction! The wine my husband bought me on Wednesday is unopened still although I have had a couple of vodka’s over the weekend it is certainly a lot less than I usually drink. We also went out for Sunday lunch, the choice of veg at the carvery was amazing, they even had butternut squash and it was so nice not to have the Sunday dinner dishes too do!
    I visited my mum who said she could really tell that I had lost some weight so that has buoyed me on, still determined to carry on, my blood test for tomorrow have not been cancelled yet but I am expecting them to be anytime now.
    Sensible advise Wendy, I too feel very well, our holiday was well timed but I do feel for all of the people who’s plans are affected, lets hope we can get back to normal very quickly. My twin’s family live in Las Vegas, and were due to come home with her grandchildren, the youngest being just a month old, she is devastated they can’t come but is relieved too that they won’t be traveling with all this going on. She has started today on the BSD so we can keep each other motivated, I will point her in this direction!
    8lbs to go to my 10% then I will hopefully fit in to a size 16, started in 20/18 size.
    Best of luck everyone and stay safe, eat well, drink plenty and WASH YOUR HANDS! 🙂

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi folks,

I probably will not have too much time to chat on the forum for a while. I am working with a group of other bunkhouse owners who have remote, large holiday lets, trying to help those who have had to cancel their school trips, wedding plans etc which were for oversea trips to reschedule within the UK.

I just wanted to say that I found it interesting that the UK government guidance on things to do to reduce your risk from Coronavirus includes reducing the amount of sugar in your diet. – The indications that the virus is worse for those with inflammation linked to a high sugar diet are so clear there are now articles circulating on facebook on how high sugar diets cause inflammation.

• posted by EllieAllegra
    on

Hi everyone,
    So, the last few days have been seriously hectic and my eating habits have gone a bit off track…I’m still having nutritious foods but some carbs have crept in too – more due to convenience as my planning has suffered a bit. Anyway, I wanted to just stop in to say hello and hope that everyone is OK in these unusual times. I am in a high risk category but am trying to remain sensibly vigilant and make adjustments where needed. I see people face to face as part of my job but am being careful. I already have to take a lot if supplements, but am trying to nourish myself with lots of healthy food, plenty of water and trying to get adequate sleep! Take care everyone and stay healthy. Also worth noting that stress reduces immunity, so keep calm and still focus on positives wherever you can find them! 🙂

Please log in or register to post a reply.