2022 ASPIRATIONAL APRIL : One week at a time beginning April 5th 2022

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Well that’s enough frivolity for now and very enjoyable it was too !
    We won’t be going away again until July now so plenty of time to consolidate my good intentions !

Lots of holidays coming up for several of you so if you need to stay accountable then this is the place to be . New members / returners are always welcome .

April has only just begun .Let’s do our best to stay healthy and focus on our successes as California Girl has urged us to do .No castigating ourselves unnecessarily. …..

Sunny will be away for a while. Have a great trip, Sunny ! I am sure she will pop in when she can .
    Sending lots of love to Lauren for her upcoming SPECIAL DAY ! Lots of love from all of us , Lauren xxxx

Wendy and sunshine-girl xxxx

• posted by wendleg
    on

The updated list , thanks SG !

Wendleg
    SunnyB
    Sunshine-girl
    Florob85/Lauren
    Antigone
    RubyG
    Onestep
    Tulip1/Clare
    Verano
    Elle-Mae
    Russianroulade
    Californiagirl/Julia
    Stevoka/Kerry
    Windyjulz
    JGwen
    Quetzal
    Catenelson
    Riccoh
    Sixturkeys
    Greenbean
    Merrymelba
    Prittimistri
    LauraY
    LittleDrummerGirl
    Nathalie
    Bravef800er
    Chocolat
    AnnieW
    AnnaBnanna
    Mokovex
    OliveaAndTomatoes
    Patricia1066
    Cholesterolypoly
    Workingfromthefridge

• posted by florob85
    on

Welcome back Wendy!

I’ve been keeping up with the forum but it’s been such a crazy few weeks so not been posting much.

In the past few weeks I’ve become an Aunty, my niece has been poorly in hospital as has my sister, my own PTSD was triggered quite severely, and then I was diagnosed with polycystic ovary syndrome. Fun times! Going to be honest and say I’ve fallen off the BSD wagon, but not in a bad way – I’ve been doing keto shakes for six weeks in a desperate attempt to lose weight firstly for my wedding and secondly because the help I’ve been given with the PCOS (whilst trying to conceive) is “lose weight” – which made me burst into tears and feel incredibly patronised and hopeless. I will transition back into eating real food after the wedding, but I needed to do something drastic because eating food was not helping – I hadn’t lost anything in months and genuinely, I haven’t been cheating or straying from principles. Unfortunately this is the way my body works – or doesn’t – something works for a few weeks and then it just stops. I have to keep switching things up. Anyway, I’ve managed to lose a stone in six weeks, 2 stone since Xmas….. way more than 10% of my body weight and my cycle hasn’t synced yet – the nurse literally said to me “oh lose “some” weight and your cycle “‘might” sync again” – very patronising. I’ve been referred to a dietitian – I’m sure you all know what I think of that, given I know more about nutrition in my little finger, and you know, science, than most NHS dietitians I don’t think I’ll learn much.

Anyway, so it’s been a tricky few weeks, but as Wendy says my wedding is just 5 days away now so I’m going to enjoy that and then worry about weight afterwards. I’ve actually developed quite a fear of eating recently so I’m going to have to do a lot of work on that, I’ve always had a tricky relationship with food but coupled with now utter disgust for my body it’s messing with my head a bit!

Much love everyone, keep on going xx

Lauren xx

• posted by Verano
    on

Lauren ….”congratulations” …. enjoy your upcoming wedding day! Plenty of time in the future to sort out your other issues.
    Welcome back Wendy glad you had a good time.
    Reading Julia’s post last week really made me think and re-evaluate.
    When I first started eating this way I did really well so a few days ago I decided to “always do what I always did” and I got “ what I always got” a nice little weight loss!
    I’m sure we really can overthink things and try to follow too many ‘rules/ideas’ at the same time only ending up with total confusion. When I think of low carbing, time restricted eating, fasting, prioritising protein, eating for gut health, counting calories etc. etc. I just confuse myself and end up in a mess.
    Sooo, I’m back to eating when my body tells me it needs nutrition. I’ve found that some days when I’m following TRE I’m ‘starving’ and as soon as I start to eat I can’t stop. When I was eating three meals a day I seemed to be far more in control and never remember being ‘starving’, so I’m giving that a go again eating breakfast when I really feel like it.
    Have a good week everyone.

• posted by Natalie
    on

I hope you have a lovely day Lauren!
    Verano i totally agree, I do very badly if I let myself get hungry, I end up eating far more, and usually bad things! I’ve found I’m much better off eating a small healthy breakfast even if I’m not hungry yet. Better than binging carbs at morning tea time! We all have to learn what suits us.

• posted by RubyG
    on

All the best for the wedding Lauren, and for finding the headspace for real food again afterwards.

I echo Verano’s comments, I did well on the original BSD, then got sidetracked by gut biome and added in a daily shot of milk kefir plus a single Brazil nut, and the now-more-than occasional square of 85% chocolate! Then I read Fast 800 then Fast keto, and added in a bit of TRE and focus on protein! Now my head hurts 🙂
    I have also found that some days of 16:8 TRE finds me over-eating when I break my fast, so I would be better off with 3 small meals, but 16:8 definitely worked for me when faced with a large face-to-face meeting at work a couple of weeks ago, where the room was flooded with pastries and home baked stuff every morning – it was easy for me to manage my chimp by saying no as I was fasting. I have done 16:8 today as I’m in the office (there are no food temptations here as the food is awful) and thoroughly enjoyed my lunch of homemade tomato and veg soup with wild garlic pesto and a few slices of nduja. Supper will be leftover roast beef with salad so negligible carbs.
    I do enjoy this way of eating and the support of the forum is great, so I will be keeping on keeping on.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi everyone, very busy getting ready for our holiday leaving here on Monday. Yes it is nearly a week away but as we have a house sitter coming the house has to be spotless and today has been French windows (porte-fenetre to the French), inside of shutter blinds and that blooming awful job of cleaning out the runners on the windows. They are sliding dooors not opening in or out. Is it possible to get a cleaner to come in a couple of times a year just to do a deep clean. Anyway, I am totally cream crackered. Also prepared a massive pot of boeuf bourguinon and a pot of onion soup. Our sitter is a bloke and I know he has lost quite a bit of weight so he might appreciate the healthy food but there will be some mash for the main and some bread with the soup and, on Sunday morning we will be dashing out to the supermarket to pick up some dessert treats – not for me.

Lauren, have a wonderful wedding. 2 stone since Christmas is absolutely fantastic and you will look gorgeous. Shame we cant share photos.

Oh well, back to the cleaning. Have a good week everyone.

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

Its lovely to talk to everyone again, and find out how you are doing.

Wendy, thanks for the welcome back. I have not been focussed on food that is low carb and tasty, I have been feeling a bit defeated by my chocolate urges. That is not typical of me, and you remind me how well organised I can be. Willpower isnt as good as zero opportunity.

I was maintaining my weight/size 14 for three years when I started addressing IBS last year. Something I just assumed was normal, constant constipation was aggravated by the high fat content, dairy and limited vegetables in my routine. Six months later I have sorted out the IBS, and my shape (unfortunately) reflects the higher carb, lower fat content of my diet. Although it is just 6 kg extra it is sitting in my belly, so I have gone up to size 16.

I have a holiday in Turkey coming up on 14th April and I am busy sorting out all kinds of business and personal stuff before being free as a bird walking and taking in the sunshine.

I find Turkish breakfasts very healthy with eggs, salads and olives in profusion, and delicious they are too. I will just have to find the phrase, no bread, rice or chips please. And use it. 🙂

I have been invited to an Iftar celebration in a friend’s home, so I will fill the day with walking and exploring Istanbul rather than eating to honour that invitation. If it gives my tummy fat a good jolt all the better.

Today has gone well. I have almost resolved the business dilemma, I worked off the chocolate hit after lunch with an exercise class, and this evening I had a lovely bowl of homemade soup, Cauli and red pepper soup is so filling, and satisfying.

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Lauren!! How exciting….you will look beautiful 😚😚

thank u Wendy and SG for the thread and hiya everybody for a new week 😊

I’m feeling a bit under the weather…..more viral rubbish to deal with….thinking that perhaps a MM reset may help- it helped me hugely before when I was getting over the inital couple of months after covid in 2020, so….we’ll see….also spoke to a pharmacist today, I have some extra vitamin stuff to take (I already do the other things he suggested otherwise) and probably the GP surgery tomorrow…..latest is coldsore(s) that are spreading everywhere despite acyclovir cream and feeling generally rubbish (again!)…!!

All suggestions welcome 😚

Love to all,
    Tulip xxx

on

Just done a long post and lost it. You might be pleased about that as I was going on a bit. So here is a shortened version.

Tulip there is very little you can do about cold sores as they are a viral infection (herpes simplex). Maybe an antiviral could be prescribed. Keep it clean, try not to touch it. Keep it moisturised but dont use a lipstick style lip balm (or any lipstick either) as you will just be re-infecting every time you put it on. Use a cotton bud or your finger to apply something like a balm but vaseline is the best. It will go in its own time but they do come back. Protect your lips from cold, wind and sun.

Today I reached a milestone. When I went on this diet 6 years ago in June I managed to get down to 11st 6lbs. Then I went on a cruise, gained, then Christmas or some other event and never quite got back down and even gained a bit more. Today I am 11st 6lbs. Even better, when I lost the weight before I was still on around 24 units of insulin, today I am on 11 units and heading towards the day I can stop using it completely. We are going away on Monday and I want to be down to 11st 4.5lbs or 72kgs. I will do it.

Have a good week everyone, I am still cleaning – fridge today.

• posted by RubyG
    on

S-G that is great news re. the insulin level (with the added bonus of the lowest weight).

I logged back onto MFP today – no surprises that 800cals doesn’t go very far when you don’t plan well, but I’ve made a start again. I hit my lowest weight of 73kg last summer for a family wedding, and this morning I weighed in at exactly 12st again (~76kg) so I am half a stone heavier than my lightest on this WOE, which is achievable again.

My TRE this morning faltered just short of 15 hours after a few stressy meetings and a banging headache – I made myself scrambled eggs with 2 slices of bacon and had an early lunch with a couple of paracetamol 🙂

Supper tonight is a combination of chicken breast with shiitake mushrooms and soya sauce, with some shredded Chinese cabbage. My portion size will be determined by what I have left in my 800cals after my impromptu brunch, milk kefir and Brazil nut.

Cold sores – I sympathise.

In the Daily Fail yesterday there was an article about how restaurants with >250 staff will have to start publishing calorie contents on their menus – the most calorific chain meals came in at over 2000 cals per meal! What got to me, though, was the NHS Guidelines inserted into the article showing a health plate and advising people to “Base meals on potatoes, bread, rice, pasta or other starchy carbohydrates, ideally wholegrain”
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10691235/Restaurant-chains-print-calorie-counts-menus-TODAY-industry-leader-say-WONT-tackle-obesity.html

on

RubyG, half a stone is easily do-able – okay not easy but do-able. 15 hours is a good TRE, I do a minimum of 14 most nights and hope for more at the weekend. Depends on how low my BG is and if I need to eat straight away after getting up.

I have seen this calories in restaurant story a couple of years ago, I think McDonalds do it. However, the calulation is so complicated and would have to be done for every single item of food on the menu. Which is why McDo can do it, all their food throught the chain is the same. I found it helpful when we had no choice but to stop at a McDo and discovered my caesar salad was 330 without the dressing and a hamburger was 269. A mcflurry shake is around 700 cals depending on which flavour. So it can be helpful to know what you are about to eat. Restaurants are for enjoyment but if you can still make good choices so much the better.

Nice to see the NHS is still pumping out its rubbish advice. No wonder so many of use diabetics had no idea what to do about improving our condition or losing weight. I was told to have at least 300g of carbs per day to keep my BG on a steady level. Yeah a steady very high level. Rant over…

• posted by Verano
    on

S-G ….. FANTASTIC! What a wonderful achievement. Well done, you must be feeling great and so you should.
    Please try not to be too frightened of dropping your insulin, after all, that was the real object if this exercise. Keep on keeping on …….

• posted by RubyG
    on

Day 2 of my renewed enthusiasm 🙂
    Squeezed in at 792cals and 38g carbs yesterday.
    I woke up with a throbbing headache this morning, so no TRE today – breakfast was 1 scrambled egg with half a large tomato. I will plan lunch and supper at some point through the day – cauli will feature in one of the 2, either as a soup for lunch or as mash for supper with protein of some description – the fresh veg supply is a bit bleak at the moment as I need to go shopping.

• posted by Verano
    on

Just wondering what people think about menus, in certain UK restaurants, having calorie counts?
    I’ve just seen my first menu with the ‘numbers’ in brackets and even the portion size like one spoon of mayo …. is that a teaspoon or a tablespoon? Does that mean we now have to take measuring spoons whenever we go out to eat ?
    Quite frankly I found it both shocking and frightening. I really don’t think it will have any effect on the ‘obesity crisis’ as those who don’t care just won’t take any notice. I do feel that overall it will have a detrimental effect on those who calorie count and be even more detrimental to those with eating disorders.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi V
    My thoughts …. I don’t believe it’s all about calories and I honestly would find the calorie counts on meals totally misleading. We know it’s more about the types of food we eat .

When I go out for a special meal I want to choose food I want to eat just because it is special , otherwise why bother ? Example …I went out for a meal with my retired teacher friends on Thursday lunchtime. There was a set meal with two options for each course .I chose a fish starter and main and also a chocolate fondant because I fancied it .I hadn’t seen my friends for a meal since I left school and it was great . That was my one meal that day . I wasn’t focused on calories but avoided any bread. So .. we adjust but I wasn’t adding up any calories .

We don’t have calorie counts on French menus as far as I know .I don’t go to restaurants that often .I don’t honestly think that people who regularly eat fast food would be bothered by having the calories displayed .

What bothers me more is the increasing cost of living .I know my mum would buy lots of white carbs ( bread, potatoes, pasta ) as she had 7 kids to feed and those carbs filled us up. If families haven’t got that much money they will make those choices rather than fresh veg and that will be much more detrimental .

It frustrates me to be frank that we keep getting information and directives that completely miss the point . Families on very tight budgets will not be going out for many restaurant meals. Others will continue to order JustEat takeaways .I don’t see the situation improving much , to be honest .

• posted by wendleg
    on

Thinking of you Lauren for your wedding tomorrow xxxx Sending you tons of love from us all, ! Enjoy every moment of your day !

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Wendy
    Yes I agree with you. As you say when we go out it should be special, especially after the last few years. I do think this latest attempt to ‘save people from themselves’ will turn out to be fruitless. In fact, when this strategy fails the government will just say … “ well we’ve given people all the information they need to be healthy and if they are still/now obese, it’s their own fault”. Oh dear!
    BTW I wasn’t clear in my post because it’s not just restaurants but takeaways, fast food places, delivery services etc. I’ve copied the link if your interested. https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-calorie-labelling-rules-come-into-force-to-improve-nations-health

on

Hi all you out there. Come to the end of my latest challenge as we will have a guest tomorrow and a meal and drinks. Anyway, set myself a goal of 72 kgs and have today reached 72.3 which is a win for me as I never usually get anywhere near. I always say aim for the moon and be happy if you reach the stars – or is it the other way round. Going away for nearly 2 weeks so will be very quiet on here but still looking in.

The conversation about calories on menus is something I have been chatting about with a few people. First of all I totally agree with Wendy. Going to a restaurant is such a treat you dont want to worry about everything on your plate, just enjoy it. Having said that, I do limit certain things so when I had the onion soup with the crouton and cheese, I ate the crouton as it was an integral part of the meal but I left the bread rolls in the basket, I avoid obvious carbs and sometimes miss out on the dessert but have cheese. However, in conversation with my hairdresser I said McDo have been putting calories on their menus for a few years how and I found this helpful. On one visit (you cant avoid if you have kids) I went for the healthy chicken ceasar salad BUT it came in at just under 600 calories whereas the egg mcmuffin was only 300 as was a standard beef burger. My hairdresser said she was going there on the way home from the school run for a treat for her grand-daughter but said she wouldnt eat anything except she would have a mcflurry. Funnily enough I had looked this up just a couple of days ago and was able to tell her the mcflurry she has (dime bar with extra shots) was over 800 calories. She has been with Slimming World for years and there is nothing she doesnt know about dieting but she didnt know that.

However, those who eat at these places regularly wont even care or know what constitutes a calorie if they have never had to count them but someone like me just might think twice. I do know people who dont worry but have said they didnt realise and it has made them change their choices. Even if it is just swapping a large fries for a small one. Not everyone is as knowledgeable as us and it at least gives them a fighting chance to do something about it. That is not being patronising, just that it is so complicated most people dont know these things.

Electricity just went off (we have been having Storm Diego) and I thought I would have lost everything but no, it is all there. Better get on with more cleaning. See you all when I get back.

• posted by Workingfromthefridge
    on

First of all Lauren, I hope you had a fantastic day and I’m sure you looked wonderful. I hope you felt it too. Two stone is an amazing achievement. Hope you were able to put all the other stuff aside (yes I agree you don’t need lessons in nutrition!) and have a great time. X

S-G that is brilliant all round. You are an inspiration. I feel like I should rename myself Sisyphus – rolling the same stone back and forward. Cross I had let it go so much but enjoying this woe again. Friend with soup maker made delicious soup – beetroot, cauliflower, onion, tomatoes and chilli and stock. It was yum!

I had a debate with my teen daughter about the calorie instructions. She said they shouldn’t be there – and this was based on her experience of a few friends with eating disorders who don’t eat enough. She said it will put them off eating more. Must admit, I hadn’t thought of that angle. But I agree I don’t want to always know when i go out what the count is – I do that every other day at home. As it is the few times I’ve been to McDonald’s I’m horrified by the numbers and usually end up just getting a coffee. My nephew has just started working part time as a Pizza Hut delivery driver and he confirms some people really don’t care about the cals – they order pizza every day. (On a side note, some of them also don’t care about putting on clothes before answering the door! He tells me that, unbelievably, that is quite a common occurrence!😳)
    Anyway – ten days back doing this properly and keeping food diary etc. Thanks for the menu suggestions last week. More than half a stone down (initial rush I know) and scales now stuck for four days. Think I’ll move to weighing every few days.

Enjoy the springtime weather. Apparently balmy temperatures on the way.

• posted by Workingfromthefridge
    on

Btw Wendy and Verano on subject of calories – did you watch the Michael Mosley episode where he went to the ‘chicken mile’ of takeaway fried chicken shops? Apart from REALLY making you want to eat fried chicken, it pointed out that places with under 250 employees- Ie all the little independents – don’t have to put up the calories anyway. And yes, re cost, he said loads of people eat there as it costs ££1.50 for chicken snd chips. How can you top tgat with a healthy meal? 🤷‍♀️

• posted by wendleg
    on

About to set up a new thread !!

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi WFTF I think I saw that program but don’t remember how little people can eat for. Maybe a month ago I could have come up with a healthy meal for 4 for £6 but since our energy charges have gone through the roof I doubt if that would be possible, unless you have really excellent budgeting and cooking skills, which I guess most of us don’t have!
    While I’m here just wanted to say I watched a really interesting podcast, Rangan Chatterjee, ‘We got it wrong when it comes to weight loss’. He talks about psychological triggers and one of his patients talks of being in an abusive relationship after which she put weight on to stop herself being attractive, so you won’t be in the same position again. WOW I so identified with a that idea.
    Mine wasn’t abuse, in fact the opposite, I was married with two children and at my lowest weight. I worked in my husbands company part time. There was one customer, also married, who harassed me andn kept trying to get me to meet him …. a date! I remember going out for lunch with him, and another member of staff, and coming back thinking I won’t wear culottes (fashionable at the time) ever again. At that point in time I wanted to make myself ‘unattractive’ .
    Maybe that’s part of my ‘problem’ who knows but I must admit I felt ‘relief’ when I listened to the podcast. Just maybe some of us are suffering from past psychological incidences. Or maybe I’m way of the mark.
    Anyway, the end of yet another week. I’ve stood still this week, which is fine, as I just keep going my own way.

• posted by Natalie
    on

Verano yes I believe it is extremely common for people who have been abused to hide behind overweight because they don’t want to be attractive or noticed, whether it is conscious or not. That would be a very hard thing to get past, if losing weight started the compliments which could trigger discomfort.
    On a side note, a blogger I read has a lot of tattoos which she said she got as a kind of “keep away” signal but it didn’t work! A lot of people approach her to comment on her tattoos!
    It also seems to me (from watching years of Drag Race) that nearly all drag queens have had horrendous childhoods (often rejected by their families because they are gay) and it’s my theory that becoming a completely different person is how they get away from that hurt.
    So to circle back, I think it’s very true that there are often traumatic reasons behind weight gain. For myself, I feel a bit panicky when I don’t have food readily available. I’m not aware of ever having gone hungry, but when I was six my eldest brother died and my parents divorced and I’ve often wondered if it’s my reaction to feeling abandoned and dealing with loss.

• posted by Verano
    on

Natalie I think as very complex people, with maybe the majority of us trying to ‘fit in’ to what we have learned to be the ‘norm’, it’s hard not to have ‘hang ups ‘. The person I referred to above had counselling and was only then able to understand her overeating.
    I’ve had a short course of counselling on a few occasions over the years for specific reasons, and must admit I found they helped me to understand my feelings at those particular times. I have to say it’s never occurred to me before that my ‘past’ is still influencing my ‘present’.
    I think I probably need to ‘relax’ and listen to my body a little more. Something to try this week!

Please log in or register to post a reply.