2018 A HAPPY NEW YEAR; MEETING GOALS WITH GREAT GOOD CHEER: 4 wks ending 23 Jan

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

JulesP, well done on fessing up. 😊. Many of us totally identify with you. Time to get back into the swing of things, now though, my lovely. Think of Spring, just around the corner and feeling fabulous! KOKO!

Kazzee xx

• posted by Mokovex
    on

JulesP

So very very glad you have decided to come back.

X

• posted by Natalie
    on

Final weigh in for this mini challenge – 72.9 kg. That is 0.7 kg loss this week. Total 3.3 kg in four weeks. That is a great result for me. My goal for the next Valentines mini challenge will be another 3 kg to get into ‘overweight’ range instead of ‘obese’ and it’s looking achievable. Who would have thought?

• posted by Mokovex
    on

Morning all,

-0.2lb from yesterday.

Not had a great few weeks but I am set to post an overall loss tomorrow.

Natalie – you have done brilliantly. I hope you are really pleased with yourself. 👍
    JulesP – how was yesterday?

x

• posted by Marsie
    on

Hello everyone,

I have opened a new thread ready for us to jump over to when we’ve posted our final weigh-in tomorrow.

Look for “KEEPING CARBS AT BAY OVER VALENTINE’S DAY” 4WK CHALLENGE ENDS 20TH FEB (title courtesy of Topcac who will join us later. Thanks TC x)

Hoping for some wonderful results to wind up this challenge.

BTW, Natalie, I saw on another thread that you needed to make adjustments upwards with your carb count, due to some adverse reactions. More power to you, recognising a real problem and dealing with it without panic or emotional eating, well, I’m proud of you xx

Into the countdown, Milalin, good thoughts going your way.

See you all tomorrow, MFODAAT

• posted by Flick
    on

Hi all,

Masie thanks for taking care of this three and starting the new February challenge. They re such a great way to stay focussed and in touch.

Here is my challenge wrap up.

Starting weight 70.1kg (at the start I wrote 70.4kg but my record here say .1 so I’ll stick with that) and my target was to lose 4kg

Week 4 my weight 65.8kg (I can hardly believe I’m in the 65s) taking my loss to 4.3kg. Yippee. After a very strange week last week, which finished with a .7kg weight gain in a day, this week has been a big relief, although I do still feel a bit insecure. Still 65.8 also puts in nicely into the healthy BMI range at 24.6. I have been this weight for two days and am quite happy about that.

My back injury is still restricting activities, but I am now more consistent with long daily walks and if it took a weight gain to get me outside enjoying the early mornings with my lovely dog, then so be it.

All the best to everyone else. See you on the Feb thread.

• posted by Mariet
    on

Last day of the challenge today and I admit I am feeling defeated. I looked back over my records and since buckling down and going back to basics a month go I have averaged 770cal/23carbs a day and 3 litres of water a day. I had one single blow out- one day I had a slice of passion fruit cheesecake and a slice of garlic pizza. Nothing else off plan throughout the month but the scales have swung around by half to one kilo each day and I end the challenge 200g lighter than I started. Still 800g away from my final goal, which I feel is mocking me each time I get onto the scales. Sigh.

Milalin, all the best for your surgery. You sound so very well prepared, I really hope it goes well and will be looking for you when you feel well enough to post.

Congratulations to all who’ve had good results and commiserations to others- how I know what you are feeling!

See you on the new challenge- great name!

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I am hoping to sign off tomorrow with a slight loss over this 4 weeks, but it feels a little like cheating as only on this last day did I manage to actually stick properly to a planned fast day! This morning I was a pound up from boxing day, and I have spent almost a week above my new higher trigger weight before finally getting my brain in gear today. In 4 weeks time I am on holiday so am going to concentrate on getting my Christmas weight off before I go, and this time will keep weighing and logging until I go, see you on the next challenge thread, and here’s hoping for a loss for tomorrow’s weigh in.

• posted by Milalin
    on

Hi Marsie and thanks again. Yes time is flying now. Weight wise I’m sure I’m up a bit with all that’s going on but I know I’ve been eating well and I’m a lot healthier from following this WOE.
    I had bloods done again yesterday and it’s reflected successfully there. A few more kilos would have been nice but I look forward to achieving that before the transplant! Other than that I know I’ve stuck to high protein n good fats. I’m not perfect but I’ve seldom strayed into carbs I shouldn’t have. When I have my BSL has risen so I know this works for me.
    Hoping everyone has successful results tomorrow, even if it’s not reflected in weight we have the group, the next challenge with Topcac’s catchy name and I’m sure just by attempting this, better health physically and psychologically. KOKO We will get there! Idk what all the other letters are as my short term memory is a bit affected atm and I’m too lazy to look back.

• posted by Milalin
    on

Thanks Mariet and don’t be disheartened it will happen! I’ve been doing everything to get ready but I try not to think too much about what’s ahead. All the wonderful wishes here and messages and visits from friends over the last couple of weeks has helped my confidence. It’s just got to be done and is a huge step towards my new life. I’m really looking forward to getting into the next challenge, though I might be a bit slow to start. Best wishes to you and everyone for tomorrow.

• posted by Milalin
    on

Congratulations Flick!

• posted by Milalin
    on

Woohoo Natalie! Great result!

• posted by Natalie
    on

Mariet that’s rough. You expect results when you’ve been so good! I hope the whoosh fairy visits soon. You are so close to goal though, maybe your body has decided you are already there?

Milalin I hope everything goes well.

• posted by arcticfox
    on

I acheived the longest fast I have ever done, at 41 hours. I was quite proud of myself, but then discovered my weight is up by 200g over when I started. Baffling! How is it possible to put on weight when you’re not eating anything at all! I’m finishing at 81.7 kg, and I’m sure it will be higher tomorrow as I was so discouraged today that I didn’t bother to count calories and carbs.
    Anyway, I am finally caught up on my sleep and feeling in a better head space now to start tackling this. I’ve been on a plateau for almost a month now, so it is time for the weight to start coming off again.
    Look forward to catching up with everyone in the next challenge!

• posted by Inka13
    on

Arcticfox, you’ll probably find it will show up in a day or so as the body recovers from its shock and settles back down! The same happened to me with my one and only 40 hr fast so don’t despair, it’s definitely not linear, this weight loss malarkey! It’s an amazing effort and lots of good stuff will have been going on n there as well!

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Thanks Inka, it helps to know that I’m not the only one who has experienced this! I have to remember that my main reason for doing it was to help my body heal, so I hope it has done that at least.

• posted by marie123
    on

Inka13 – I’m glad you said that. I was wondering something similar but haven’t got your experience of fasting.

Arcticfox – that’s a mammoth effort and it’s bound to show up on the scales at some point soon (as long as you don’t over compensate by eating more right now!). Same with the end of the plateau. Don’t be discouraged, you know it will happen. x

Mariet – I do feel for you, that’s so frustrating – but you will get to goal and we’ll all be there cheering

Flick & Natalie – brilliant weight losses

JulesP – stick with it, buddy. Like Mokovex said, I’m so pleased you’ve come back.

Milalin – Will be thinking of you on Thursday. Really looking forward to seeing you on the next challenge.

Well, after being 10st (63.5kg) for most of this challenge (and 10st 2lbs around New Year) in these last few days I’ve lost 1lb a day, which means I’ve got to the end of this Challenge bang on target, 9 stone 11lbs i.e. 62.1 kg. (I reckon it’s all those years spent working in the NHS and trying to hit targets; my body has developed its own automatic response !!).

Anyway, I’m chuffed as it means I’m now in the BMI healthy weight range – yay! To get here was my second goal (first was controlling my blood sugar) when I set out on BSD in August. I’ve still got more weight to lose though, so onwards and downwards it is.

Looking forward to reading everyone’s results today and meeting up again on the Valentine’s challenge.

• posted by JackieM
    on

Marie123 that’s fabulous- we’ll done! Such a big milestone!

• posted by marie123
    on

Thanks JackieM – yes, it was a big milestone for me. I’m really pleased.

• posted by Mokovex
    on

Morning all,

Start – 131.9lb
    Today – 128.1lb

So that’s a loss of 3.8lb which I will most certainly not sniff at given I have been struggling this month.

This makes me think that whilst my struggles have been real, there have obviously been brakes on that I haven’t recognised or am not acknowledging. I haven’t been gaining 2lb a week which is where I was at last August, just before I started this WOE.

Marie123 & Flick – well done, these were such great posts to read at the beginning of a day, am feeling some vicarious triumph! Keep going, you are doing brilliantly.

Mariet – Really feeling for you, and hoping this disappointment doesn’t derail you. It is so maddening that you can do all the right things and not get the hoped for results. I guess the bigger picture is your ability to take charge of what goes in your mouth which it sounds like you nailed this month. Keep going.

Arctic fox – some great self control right there!!

Milalin – continuing to send best wishes for this week and looking forward to catching up with your news on the next challenge.

x

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Final weigh in of this challenge and I am 2.3 pounds lighter than I was on boxing day, but my body fat is currently reading much higher than it was then on my new scales so I will KOKO and hope to drop that body fat progressively by staying low carb for the next challenge, or at least sticking to my one ‘treat’ day idea per week that never quite got put into practice. Good luck Milalin, we’re all wishing you the very best. Well done to everyone on the challenge who has posted a loss, and even more so those who haven’t but are still persevering.

• posted by Milalin
    on

Thanks Natalie x

• posted by Milalin
    on

Thanks Marie123 and congratulations on your WL so far, fantastic!

• posted by Milalin
    on

Mokovex, well done! I’m hoping I’ll be able to keep up with everyone’s posts in the next challenge although I might be a few days late starting. I’m loving the positivity here . Thanks again x

• posted by Milalin
    on

Thanks Mixnmatch you and everyone here are so generous and honest about the struggle to achieve optimum health.
    Best wishes to you and everyone for more success in the new challenge. I love the 4 week length. I signed up to the 8 week too but this one has become ‘home’ for me.
    I can’t thank you all enough, so much positive energy I’m sucking up!

• posted by Marsie
    on

Another 4week challenge ending, I find myself marking the passing of time by these 4 weeks instead of the end of months. 😊

Some challenges have not been successes for me but this one I can report a small loss, even if it is a “lost again”. I’m certainly good at recycling these kilos. Frustrating though.
    Starting weight (boxing day) 62.5kg
    Week 1 (02 Jan) 63.0kg
    Week 2 (09 Jan) 62.1kg
    Week 3 (16 Jan) 62.3kg
    Week 4 (23 Jan) 61.9kg = 600gms loss
    So, it is a loss but only this amount because I didn’t meet my behavioral goals which I need to think about for the next challenge. See you there.

Natalie, Flick, marie123, Mokovex, Mixnmatch, well done on your results this time around. Losses and milestones to cherish.

Mariet, arcticfox, it’s hard, isn’t it, when expectations don’t meet the effort put in. Don’t let it throw you. Mariet, I think the last few kgs are the hardest. The body just seems to cling on to them. arcticfox, it’s hard to imagine how that fast didn’t have a different result.

There was a discussion some time ago on another thread when someone quoted 8 days, I think, for the scales to react. But, I don’t know, we all seem to want to relate what we did yesterday to what the scales say today when really it could be yesterday’s yesterday (as my g/daughter used to say as a 4yo) and several yesterdays before that. Shows the value, perhaps, of concentrating one day at a time on the menu and weekly/monthly on the numbers.

Thanks, everyone, for your company. Always stimulating and supporting.
    MFODAAT

• posted by Busybee
    on

I didn’t meet my goals and have gained back the post Christmas/holiday weight. Bad time lately as we have heard of three deaths in 10 days and then the husband of one of my two best friends, collapsed and died last Saturday. We postponed our anniversary trip and went over to be with her until her family arrive.
    Anyway, I am drawing a line under this and have started, yet again, by reading the BSD book and will start counting calls and carbs tomorrow.
    I will see you on the next challenge.
    Well done to those who have done well and to those of us who haven’t, we will KOKO.
    X B

• posted by alliecat
    on

I’m so sorry, Busybee, that’s a lot of bereavement all at once.
    You are a marvelous friend to postpone your trip to support
    your friend, though. She’s very blessed to have you, I’m sure.

Very sorry for your loss…..

Allie

• posted by alliecat
    on

Milalin, as you think of this as your home thread, I’m just
    stopping in to wish you well as the date of your surgery approaches.
    None of us can truly appreciate how much you want this behind
    you. You’ve done a stunning job getting ready for it, and very,
    very soon all you will need to concentrate on is your recovery.
    When the sun comes up on the 25th and I open my eyes, my first
    thought will be sending energy to your surgeon(s) to guide
    their hands this day. Come back when you are feeling up to it;
    I’ll be watching for you on the next 4 wk challenge. You’ll be
    in my thoughts 🙂

Allie

• posted by Verano
    on

Milalin best of luck with your upcoming surgery. Hope all goes well for you. Sending good thoughts and hopes for Thursday.

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Milalin I also wanted to wish you all the best for your surgery and a speedy recovery x Will be thinking of you tomorrow.

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Busy bee I’m so sorry to hear of your recent bereavements. You’re doing well to even be thinking about BSD at such a difficult time. Take care and be kind to yourself x

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Marsie I’ve also been recycling kilos, and am still 1.2kg away from my lowest weight so far in BSD which was in early December. It certainly was an up & down challenge for me:
    Wk 1: +1.7kg
    Wk 2: -2.8kg
    Wk 3: + 1.9kg
    Wk 4: – 1.9kg
    So my net loss for the 4 weeks was 1.1kg.
    Onwards and downwards into the next challenge, see you there 🙂

• posted by Flick
    on

Just checking in to acknowledge all these great efforts and some terrific losses. Boy those last few kilos sound hard to wrangle.

Arcticfox, what an amazing effort. I simply cannot get passed 23 hours (dinner to dinner a couple of times).

I’m not a fasting expert, from what I’ve read from Jason Fung, it seems it can take a while to start burning fat, depending on what you’ve been eating before the fast. For example according to Fung’s analysis, if you have plenty of glycogen in your system, your body can be using that for a while, then there is a phase of protein burning (6-12 hours) and then fat burning. If you’ve been low carb in the lead up to a fast (regular fasters seem to add plenty of fat in day before a fast) this all moves forward. Sounds logical to me but I haven’t read the supporting research. 🤪

And then we read from whoosh effect that once fat burning, your body may well be replacing fat with water which it will eventually release. Bloody hell! What a process. Luckily, regardless of all this, you would have given your metabolism a lovely boost, potentially cleared out some random old proteins and exercised tremendous self control. BIG WINS and hats off to you!

See you in the Feb thread.

• posted by Marsie
    on

Oh, Busybee, I feel for you. One bereavement is hard enough but when it becomes multiple losses within a short period it just seems too much. How highly you must value your friend, and be valued in return, for taking your special time and giving it to her. I’m sure it will be bitter/sweet for.your OH and yourself when you do go away to acknowledge your special anniversary.

Look after yourself, dear lady. Do only what you can to nurture yourself as you nurture others. Many hugs coming your way. Stay with us. 🙅💜🙅💜

• posted by JulesP
    on

Signing out of this challenge after some real ups and downs. Started at 10st 4, lost 5lbs to get to longed for 9st 13, promptly put on a few pounds, lost them back down to 9st 13 again then in the last week or so have wolfed down every carb under the sun and managed to put on 5lbs so back exactly at the weight I started this challenge!!! Off to sign up for the new challenge, hoping to repeat the first half of this month, certainly not the second. See you on the next challenge. xxx

• posted by Busybee
    on

Thank you all for your kind comments. Although I havnt met you and you are from various parts of the world, I feel I know you and am blessed to have my BSD friends who are so supportive.
    X B

• posted by marie123
    on

Good wishes from me too Busybee – take care of yourself x

• posted by Milalin
    on

Thanks Sandy47

• posted by Milalin
    on

Sending you love and hugs again Busybee as I don’t know what happened to my previous post❤️💋XOX

• posted by alliecat
    on

Milalin, come on over to the “keeping carbs at bay…” new thread!
    Lots of messages are being left on the new challenge for you, as
    this one as concluded 🙂
    xoxo
    Allie

• posted by Milalin
    on

Will do thanks Allie xxx

Please log in or register to post a reply.