2.1.2019 Weekly weigh in and motivation to self

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Hi Jan and all, I’ve been MIA on here for much of the past week, my elderly uncle died and I’ve been helping my aunt with the funeral arrangements, plus I hosted the wake and have had family members from interstate staying with me. I have been mainly eating to plan, but not counting calories. Also the battery in my scales needs replacing, so I’ve been unable to weigh myself. I was weighed at a hospital appointment on Thursday though and was 3kg less than my starting weight on 2/1. Not sure if it’s the different scales, but you’d trust that hospital ones were accurate! I’ll buy new batteries on Monday and weigh myself Tues morning.
    Hope everyone else is going well. I bought Dr Mosley’s new book and am currently reading that. It seems a lot more flexible – you can have dark rye or whole grain sourdough bread occasionally as well as wholemeal pasta and noodles. Also no need to calorie count extra green veg or salad (just the dressings). I’m looking forward to expanding my recipe repertoire! Will be back fully on plan on Monday.

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi Sue blue
    Sorry for your loss, it’s all very emotional isn’t it, always sends me of plan which has happened for the last three days for me, so back on it today, calm my mind and focus on my buddy mr James Brown 🤗🚌🚌🚌
    That’s so interesting about the new things allowed in the new book, so how does that work if you aren’t counting certain things with keeping yourself below 800 cals which I understood was in order to kick start and keep you in ketosis to keep the rapid weight loss going.
    I did slimming world for years on and of and that’s based on uncounted carbs like pasta etc and that for me is license to stuff myself, what’s the book called, I already have the original BSD paperback and the 8 week recipe book, so is it worth buying, it’s all very interesting.
    Hope things return to normal for you, I’m of to do some work, singing get up on that bus in James Brown voice 🚌😂🚌
    Jan🙋

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Hi Janet, you don’t need to necessarily rush out and buy the new book, it’s called Fast 800. Although I must admit I’m glad I did as I’m enjoying the new recipes. Apparently there is going to be a recipe book published too (another one for my collection).
    What I liked was that there are 2 versions of the meal plan – both a 3 meal a day and a 2 meal a day option. The pasta/rice/bread options seem to be for the 2 meals a day and non fast days , and they are small amounts (2 tablespoons of cooked wholemeal pasta for example).
    Yesterday I had egg and bacon muffins for breakfast, hummus and veggies for lunch and a delicious chicken and lentil curry for dinner. I had a mango smoothie for breakfast today, bacon and egg muffin for lunch with some salad and tonight I’m having the left over curry with cauliflower rice.
    I’ll weigh myself tomorrow, not expecting a loss as I had those off plan days, but I want to still keep weighing on the same day each week. I thought I may have lost 3kg last week, as that is what the hospital scales said, but at home it proved to be a 180g loss only! I’m not worried though as it is going to take me 9 months to a year to lose the weight I need too. The main thing is I feel motivated and committed again, now that life is settling back down again. The loss still hurts of course, but it’s not so overwhelming, and I feel better now that the funeral is over.
    Anyway hope everyone else is going well 🙂

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Ah well end of week 2
    And have stayed the name which is a miracle as due to emotional hurdles been of plan for 5 days now
    So from tomorrow morning treating the new week as a new beginning, so psyche myself up again overnight 🤐🤐🤐

• posted by MagicBean
    on

Hi Green Janet , I feel for you. I reported in as a ‘slightly despondent bean ‘ yesterday – have been on plan, hungry at times, sleepless frequently , peeing for England and yet, quite a small loss. Felt bit ‘meh’ and sorry for self, felt entitled to more. ( childish and sulky, mardy Bean); went for a long walk to mull things over and sorted headspace out. ( for a while😉) I think going forward I’ll need to be more aware of my thoughts and neg inner voice.
    You don’t say what upsets you’ve had to deal with and I don’t want to pry . I know you’re determined to harness the James Brown motivation mojo and drive the bus. When I plucked up the courage to commit and join the forum yours is a name I’ve seen for a while ( I’ve lurked on sidelines for 2 years and more) I know you can do this ! Koko – from a well wishing Bean. X

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi Bean
    Small weight losses when we are trying hard are dispiriting, but keep going we can all do it together, on the James Brown bus 🎼🌈🌈🌈
    Need to find some nice recipes as getting bored with my dinners at the mo, I find having a nice dinner to look forward to very motivating
    But been on plan today, so pleased about that little steps towards my whole journey 🚌🚌🚌

• posted by SueBlue
    on

I know all about small losses! When I first started BSD in 2017 I lost something like 4.5lb in the first week, but then after that I only ever had small losses. So far since restarting on 2nd Jan I’ve lost 580g or 1.38lb… but I just think of that saying “slow and steady wins the race”. I’ll get there eventually 🙂
    Janet, i can recommend the Slimspirational Grub recipe book – it has lots of lovely BSD meals in it and is written by a lady who is as Admin of the Facebook group I’m a member of.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Slimspirational-Low-carb-Low-calorie-Recipes-Healthier/dp/1999987500
    The Diet Doctor website is also a good resource for recipes, I also use my favourite recipe sites (taste.com.au for example) and search either Keto or low carb and get good ideas that way (sometimes with low carb you still need to tweak the recipes a bit as they sometimes have non-BSD ingredients).

• posted by MagicBean
    on

Hi Green Janet weighed in this am and down another smidge 79.1kg. Measurements round middle (navel) natural waist and under boobs down a few cms too. Changes happening and I’m pleased. I feel a lot less bloated and ‘ lighter’ it’s just the scales haven’t caught up yet.

I like seeing a different start number to the result !

• posted by SueBlue
    on

How is everyone going? Well done on your smidge Magicbean, I’ve had a small loss too this week, 750g/1.65lb. At least the scales are moving in the right direction and I’m finally under 210 pounds. I use both kilos and pounds/stone because it helps keep me motivated. When I have small losses they can seem insignificant, but then I realise it’s moved me into a different stone bracket, or there’s a different starting number in kilos… My next mini goal is to get under 205lb, but along the way I’ll appreciate getting to say 208lb as that will mean I’m under 95kg; my weight would be 94. something – this probably sounds crazy 😜 but as I lose weight so slowly I need to do something to keep motivated!
    I managed an unintentional fast yesterday, no food between dinner at 6pm on Monday night until 2pm
    On Tuesday when I had breakfast instead of lunch, so it was about 20 hours. I just wasn’t hungry so thought it was silly to eat. Anyway we’ll see if it makes any difference on the scales. At the moment I’m mainly following a 14:10 pattern, but will try to do 16:8 on the weekend, it’s easier on non-work days. Off to make my lunch to take to work now, chicken salad. I had wanted to try some of the soups in the new book but with temps around 35-38 this week it’s jist too hot, definitely salad weather 🙂

• posted by Samoo1
    on

I have just completed week 3 and have lost 12 pounds. I started on the 1st January so I’m feeling pretty happy that I’ve lost as much as I have. I have 50 pounds to go!

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi luvvies
    So pleased for all your losses of those pesky blighters. My weigh in today 0 loss not surprised and back to 5 1/4 lbs lost in total.
    I’m struggling I think because it’s so cold and I work out in it all day 0 degrees, that when I go indoors I’m exhausted and either sleep or eat because I’m so tired. I made the mistake of allowing the odd slice of bread to creep in and now my body keeps asking for it as I’ve triggered of my b……carb monster appetite again. I’m not good in either of the extremes of temp, we had the awful heat last summer, don’t know which is worse, mind you I can work through the cold it’s just a matter of getting the right gear on but the heat, it went on for so long last year we had to try to work through it as we will never get these barns done.
    Sue blue I remember you said you lived in Kent whereabouts we lived in Kent for 60 years grew up in gillingham then rainham, then in the 2000 moved out to Maidstone then biddenden, then finally before we moved to Norfolk cranbrook in the Weald of Kent.
    It’s such a small world isn’t it when we are karmically attached.
    Keep cool girls may the air cool soon for you all 🤗

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Week 4 starts here jan make it one that you can be pleased with. Aiming to loose 3 of the pesky blighters this week to bring me down to my almost below 17 st. I can do this 1 moment at a time with planning nice food, and staying alert to my tiredness and how it affects my eating 💃💃💃😃💃💃💃

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Janet I was born in Ramsgate, I remember Gillingham as we used to go through there on the train when travelling to my grandparents in London, and I had an uncle who lived in Rainham.
    I think heat is worse than cold, you can always rug up! Although I was up in the mountains here during the winter and it was 0 degrees and -2 with the wind chill factor, and I didn’t like that either! Can’t inagine having to work in it all day.
    Although I complain about the heat I’m
    Pretty lucky really as get to work in an air conditioned office.
    5 1/4 pounds loss is great, you are doing better than me, I think mine is about 3 pounds, although hoping for a better loss in week 4 as I’m planning some more fasts. I managed to go without breakfast again today, having a coffee instead, and then 2 bigger meals at 1-2pm and 7pm instead of 3 small ones over the day. Maybe mixing things up a bit will yield results 🙂
    Samoo you are doing well, keep up the good work. I have about 50 pounds to lose also, so you are not alone there!

• posted by Samoo1
    on

Thanks SueBlue I’m using an app called veryfitwell.com to find out how many calories are in my own recipes that way I don’t have to use all the recipes on the plan.

• posted by Samoo1
    on

Verywellfit.com

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi sue blue
    Isn’t it a small world, once went to a summer ball in the ballroom overlooking the sea at ramsgate, a very memorable night and we drove up the motorway on the way home with the top down on our car, with my friend squealing in the back as it was very unnerving going fast at night with the top down hehe
    Well behaved myself today 😃 yeaaa
    Decided tinned tuna in oil is my go to best friend at the mo if I get desperate.
    To cold to do any James Brown today, hehe cold is getting to my sense of humour
    Hoping for another good day tomorrow and lots of wooshing
    🙋 jan

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Well I’ve made the decision as I’m struggling so much with this way of eating and working in such cold weather that I’ve decided to wait until the 1st April and restart then when I will be more able to adjust to the plan
    Looking forward to better weather

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

working in this cold must be so hard, but rather than re-set an arbitrary start date, why not just take your foot off the pedal for a week and then see how you feel? And if old way of eating really does make the working day in these temperatures easier? I know I’m saying this from indoors!

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi greenjanet
    Sorry to hear you are struggling . Would it help you to aim for shorter term weekly goals rather than abandoning completely ?
    We have a ‘One Week at a time ‘thread which is very supportive.
    I understand the extremes of temperature are difficult for you and you are tired after working out in the cold. Pressure to complete the barn rénovations… Could you plan ahead, make sure you have lots of low carb meals ready, soups and veg so you don’t just grab anything. ? It doesn’t have to be gourmet cooking . A moderate portion of protein plus veg or salad. You can beat the carb cravings but it means cutting them out completely as you start out .

You will find low carb means you will also be less tired….that’s my experience.

I am just anticipating that the longer you delay the harder it is going to be to change long engrained habits.

I suppose I am just trying to convince you not to leave us. This way of eating does work . Please have another think. We will do anything we can to support you

• posted by Violinist
    on

GREEEEEENNNN JAAAAANNNNEEEETTTT! WAAAAIIITTT!!!!
    Don’t go yet! So do the lowest calories you can! I haven’t reached 800 since July first start of many, but the fellowship and education along the way is priceless. We would miss you! So start at 800 in April, but you could be proudly mindful now and how about just doing a day here and there like I have been doing. I love this positive place and would miss every one of you!

• posted by Maximin
    on

Good morning, Greenjanet. Please don’t go. Believe me, I know the feeling but this is part of the process for some of us. Excitement. Doubt. Despair. Frustration. . . but also part of the process is perseverance. Everyone and every body is not the same and this, let’s face it, it tough. But we’re tougher. Aren’t we?
    At least once a week, I question what I’m doing but if I take my mind out of the game and just trust the process, I am rewarded.

I’ve been on the 800 BSD for less than two weeks. My weight went up a pound for no apparent reason on Tuesday but I didn’t let that make me falter and guess what? I dropped another 3 lbs in just 4 days.
    Stay and give it a little while longer.
    Max.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Jan so sorry to hear you are struggling again the moment. You and I have been around for quite a while now and I know only too well how difficult it is to keep re-starting. Each new start seems to become harder and it’s even more difficult to lift yourself to stay with it. I had so many new starts last year that I lost count, unfortunately I did lose pounds!
    I guess your head just has to be in the right place. I would suggest that maybe you stay around on the One Week at a time thread, one week is manageable without exerting too much pressure. Instead of having weight loss goals maybe just aim to stand still. The last thing you want to do is disappear for a couple of months only to find on April 1st that you have gained.
    There are some old threads with food ideas, Fabulous Food for February, Marvellous Meals for March, 101 ways with cauliflower to name but a few. Also the recent articles in the Mail about the new Fast 800 have some new and interesting recipes. Soups are my go to standby in the winter. There is a soup thread as well but not sure of the title.
    Wishing you all the best and hope you don’t disappear. Try and make the right decisions for you, to get yourself through to the end of the winter.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi greenjanet – as someone who loaths the cold myself, I fully sympathise with your dislike of working in the cold whilst struggling with your eating plan at the same time. Can’t help feeling though, that stepping back from the BSD until April would be to miss the chance of continuing to making an impact now.

I’m assuming you have been trying to do the full on Fast 800 and I imagine coping in the cold on 800 cals is tough going. I wonder if during the cold weather, you could stick to the BSD principles continuing to keeping carbs low, but increase your calorie intake? It may be that you see little or no movement on the scales for awhile, but at least you will not be undoing the work you have done to ween yourself from the carb heavy foods.

wendleg’s idea of having warming and nourishing things available to easily grab, is a good one and soups and casseroles/stews are a good option especially at this time of year, as they can easily be made ahead when time permits and portioned up for ease of use later.

I’d also like to put forward the idea of joining us on the weekly One Week at a Time thread, where we all support each other to achieve small incremental changes a weekly basis, to move ourselves nearer to our goals. But whatever you decide to do, I wish you every success, though I hope that you will be staying with us.

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Hi Janet, sorry to hear you are struggling 🙁 there’s some excellent advice here, I was just going to suggest maybe following principles and not counting calories at all until the weather warms up? I’m still experiencing the opposite problem here – high 30s still and 40 degrees predicted for Thursday. But at least I don’t have to work outside in it, I’m glad to have the luxury of an air-conditioned office.
    Good luck with whatever you decide to do and thank you for your support so far – every time I go to waver I start to hear James Brown in my head!

Please log in or register to post a reply.