1st October Starters Support Group

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by GreenTea
    on

Day one – so far so good.

I’ve been trying out some recipes since Thursday (when my books arrived) and so far they have been filling enough.

Breakfast – Greek yogurt with raspberries and blueberries + black coffee
    Lunch – Made a ham, mushroom and spinach omelette amounting to 336 cals (olive oil was 119cals!!!)
    Dinner – cauliflower rice, prawns + side of lettuce.

Some background – I’m Asian and I like to cook so altho the recipes are to my tastes anyway, I also have to cook for my mum’s tastes. I was able to adapt tonight’s dinner for both us. Using MFP app is great for adapting recipes.

• posted by Onalearningcurve
    on

Today I received the 8week BSD book. I haven’t read it completely yet. Saw this site so thought I would check it out. I’m 68 and have been on a “diet” most of my adult life. I am keen to start this but as I have a freezer full of foods that won’t be appropriate feel I will not be able to it do 100%. I am not in a financial position to waste these foods. I will do my best to adapt some of my foods to BSD. Which I did tonight by making the chilli con carne which I served with steamed broccoli. Good look to all hope to join you completely when my freezer haul is depleted.

• posted by EmilyJones
    on

Hi all,

Well that is Day 1 done! I won’t lie…I do feel rather weak and am now slumped in bed. But am still feeling determined to carry on and hope the weak feeling willl pass once my body gets over the shock of no bread or wine on a Saturday.

It is so great to hear from eveyone. I have read the whole thread and I am not sure I could do this without this group.

P.S To those asking “can I join?” …of COURSE you can! The more the merrier. And I am not the boss of the thread! I just started it out of fear 😉

P.P.S For my own accountability, I read logging my start weight as 14 stone 2 as that is what the scales said today.

Night night all

• posted by Malta 7
    on

Hello
    I am also starting the diet tomorrow and would love to be part of your forum . I am a 63 retiree and want to lose 14 kilos and get fit to face my retirement years so that I can have the adventures and holidays I wish to have in the next decade

• posted by Malta 7
    on

Sorry forgot to mention that I am also doing the 800 calorie diet

• posted by StaceySmith
    on

Hi! I just started today in California. I’m 52, am pre-diabetic with a diabetic husband. He is not doing this with me for now. The fatty liver and fatty pancreas make absolute sense to me. I got down to a goal weight using an herbal supplement that is no longer on the market. The diet was 1200 cals per day. Weight loss around 8 pounds per month. I kept the weight off for over a year with little effort. I’m not sure what triggered the re-gaining of the weight. I’m thinking – re-stressed the liver/pancreas. I am looking forward to this – using this forum to inspire me through the day that my body screams at me for carbs!

• posted by PatC
    on

Morning, well it is here in Australia, one day down, managed NOT to drink wine last night ( miracle) and drank water instead, it was ok and I feel good this morning, going to have eggs for breakfast, ploughmans (BSD) for lunch then meeting the family for BBQ and to watch the Cronulla Sharks match (up up Cronulla!) will try to avoid wine, made chick pea crackers yesterday (amazing and easy) – so good seeing so much support on here and wonderful Emily rallying us all.

• posted by Cazza53
    on

Oh wow what a group Emily started I have the feed on tap via email it’s amazing how we are all in it together and super charged up!
    So today…..
    Breakfast scrambled egg with salmon
    Mid snack handful nuts
    Lunch tuna on sourdough
    Mid snack apple
    Dinner cod with green beans and asparagus
    Yummy! Never felt hungry at all
    Exercise hike 15 mins and long dog walk
    Off shopping for everything tomorrow to start cooking new recipes for me and gorgy supportive hubby.
    Happy slimming everyone! Conquer our cravings we CAN do it.

• posted by Miss Ruby
    on

Hi Emily and everyone, I started on 27 September 2016, after the long weekend here in Western Australia. Like BigWendy I was recently found to have high blood pressure, and a borderline blood sugar. I need to lose about 13kg or 29lbs. So far so good with diet. Planning coq au vin for Sunday lunch (recipe was in Daily Mail as promotion for the recipe book). Good luck with Day 2 guys. Weigh in Tuesday morning.

• posted by Suluro
    on

I started on Friday 30th September and have done 2 days so far without the carbs. Was so surprised not to get hunger pangs like I have done in the past when dieting. I am a 49 year old woman with about six to seven stone to lose. I have never joined a forum before but find this thread very encouraging.

• posted by Mercedes
    on

Day 1 yoghurt and cherries, Caesar salad with chicken and a glass of rose! Under 800 😊
    Just 6 days left this week x

• posted by P0rkieBE
    on

Hi all
    I want to tag in to your group too, I started yesterday , I am 39 year old lass from Lancashire , when I was in my twenties I never had to worry about my weight but in my thirties I have blown up , I am now going to grab the bull by the horns I will not be fat and fourty!! Good luck everyone. We can do this !

• posted by NeNe
    on

Hi all, read the book yesterday and I’m going to start the 8 week bsd today. I want to be 9stone (I’m 5′ 2″) so I have 3stone to lose. I have a second grandchild arriving at Christmas so I want to be able to push the double buggy up the hill without collapsing. A perfect storm of laziness and menopause got me here so I’m determined to get it sorted. I know checking in with all of you will keep me on track and we can encourage each other. Let’s focus and get this done . I’m off to scramble some eggs. Love to everyone from NeNe in Ireland.

• posted by EmilyJones
    on

Morning Team October/November,

It is Day 2! My Fitness Pal tells me I was over by 150 calls yesterday as I added hummus and feta to my dinner. I am not going to be discouraged but this shows me I MUST plan meals ahead carefully to avoid this kind of thing happening in future.

Breakfast was eggs, salmon, avo and tomatoes.

It is a beautiful Autumn day here in England so I am going to take a walk with the kiddos to an apple harvest event. Happy Sunday all xx

• posted by 8weekClairebear
    on

Day 2 for me and I’m off to see a friend. I think that I’m going to struggle at weekends being 100% BSD, the lack of structure yesterday meant that I got in late and ended up with beans on toast!! I was sleepy soon after (it was only 8) so in some ways I think the odd carb heavy meal will keep me focused on the the benefits for me and how much I can be affected by my food choices.

This afternoon, I will be prepping and batch cooking for the next few days so dinner is ready when I get in from work. I usually take my purse to work and inevitably pop to the shops or someone picks something up for me, so I’ve decided to leave my purse at home. I’ve got a 2 litre bottle of water on my desk, again drinking enough at weekends is something I struggle with.

Most excitingly I bought a spiralizer yesterday so I’m looking forward to making meatballs and courgetti for dinner tonight!

Hope everyone has a good day

• posted by Lichfield65
    on

Hi
    Just reading the recipe book and on the cupboard essentials pages there are asterisks next to many of the items.
    It then says later join the community for more info/advice.
    What do these asterisks mean then?
    Thank you in advance

• posted by JulesG
    on

Hi, I am starting tomorrow, would like to do 800 calories, but not sure so it may be 5.2

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Lichfield 65

On that page (p18) it says ‘we have marked with asterixes the items we use a lot’.

On page 23 under ‘What do I do once I have achieved my goals?’ It says ‘So for maintenance we recommend the BSD Way of Life*’. The footnote says ‘*For more advice and support we recommend you join the active and well-informed community at thebloodsugardiet.com’

Hope this helps

• posted by Getting my life back
    on

Hi happy to join this starter group I started yesterday. 54 year old female with roughly 6 stones to lose. I have never joined a forum but reading the posts it sounds really friendly and supportive. I have just ordered the recipe book to help out. Day 1 wasn’t too bad weighed myself this morning 2lb off already minor headache but I can live with that will drink more water today. Good luck everyone

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Day one yesterday was okay. I went to bed early last night because I was a little bit hungry.
    Day two today and poached eggs on spinach with pine nuts was not to my liking. But this is what I expected, not to like everything. Trial and error. Will make sure I drink plenty between now and bed time.
    I will loose weight this time. This diet makes so much sense I feel as though I am going to stick with it, with the help of this forum.

• posted by Malta 7
    on

Morning everyone
    I had already decided to start my diet after the excesses of French country living for the last three months when wine at lunch and dinner becomes the norm and those empty calories really help to pile on the weight. A reality check on the scales this morning !!!!!
    So now having green tea making my recipe plan and shopping list then off to supermarket to stock up
    Later planning a walk along the seafront and a glass of sparkling water xxxxxx

• posted by ischia
    on

Hi hi!

I started yesterday too. Hubby and I are both doing MacMillan Sober for October so when my friend (Dona Rosa on here) mentioned she was starting the BSD I thought I may as well join in that too. So I’ll be alcohol free for at least a month and aiming to stick to sub 800 healthy calories a day for 8 weeks. I have a friend’s 40th birthday party on 4th December so I’m aiming to be able to buy myself a nice, smaller, outfit for that.

Yesterday I wasn’t exactly organised until I’d been shopping in the afternoon so I had a Pukka Lemon, Ginger and Manuka Honey tea and an apple for breakfast. Lunch was very late on in the day after I’d made 3 types of soup which are now all portioned up in the fridge and freezer for later in the week. They’re all under 200 calories and one of them is under 100. For dinner last night I made a River Cottage Cauliflower & Chick Pea curry with a small portion of brown rice. My total calorie intake for the day was actually 675 so MFP gave me a telling off when I closed off the entry for the day.

Is it ok to post links to recipes/favourite recipe sites on here? I don’t want to get myself banned when I’ve only just joined!

I’ll post again later with today’s meals/calories, hope everyone has a great day whatever you are doing.

• posted by Timetochange
    on

I’m new and only started on Monday so any ongoing support from others is great. Second week starts tomorrow. 8 pounds down so far and feeling great. Here’s to us all having success and feeling good!

• posted by GreenTea
    on

Happy Sunday all!

So I got a nice surprise this morning – my mum noticed my stomach was less bloated than normal. Altho I officially started BSD on Oct 1st, I had stopped eating carbs since Thurs. Nice to have my efforts noticed.

Made an English breakfast with chipolatas, mushroom and cherry tomatoes – all grilled with garlic salt and pepper. Much smaller portion than a normal full English but surprisingly filling.

Lunch was grilled salmon with homemade coleslaw and lots of green tea thru out the day.

Meal planning today – some great recipes in the BSD recipe book.

• posted by Dona Rosa
    on

Just made the Mexican hash from the Blood Sugar Diet book (not recipe book) just had to tweet using boiled eggs rather than fried as no other eggs around. It was excellent and other half liked it too. Breakfast was 100g of yoghurt and 100g of apple with sprinkling of cinnamon. Dinner will be the rest of minestrone I made yesterday so looks like I might well hit the 850. One thing I have decided to do is weigh myself every second day and measure my waist every Saturday morning. I am getting rather bored of having a wee every hour though lol. Hopefully that is a good sign. Woke up this morning and tried to visualise the fat melting!!!!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Try to visualise the fat going out through your wee, that is how your body gets rid of it and why you need lots of water. There is a whole thread on this if you search something about having to get up during the night or having to pee so often.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Just found it – look for Anyone Else Having Problems with Excessive Bathroom Visits and read all about the weight loss process. I learnt it from being a nurse so it is pretty accurate.

• posted by Sierravalley
    on

I’m joining too, if it’s okay. Started on the 1st and it was kind of tough since I had a lot of physical work to do in the garden. I went to bed at 7:30, but I feel good today. I need to get a measuring tape to start a chart.

My carb intake was totally out of control and my bad habits are catching up to me health wise so I don’t have a choice. I’m 63 and I want to be able to enjoy my retirement in a few years. I need to lose 90#s. I gained most of this in the past 10 years. I know this will work if I can stick with it.

Good luck to all of us!

• posted by Skinny Latte
    on

Hi Emily, I’d like to join your group. I have also ordered the book but not received it yet but starting at the beginning of a month seems a great idea. I need a massive kick start and have read through the thread and feel inspired already. So it’s avocado, eggs and tomatoes for breakfast tomorrow. I’m fully expecting to feel weak and grumpy for a few days but I’m sure the friendly support on here will help, just got to focus on the end results.

• posted by Skinny Latte
    on

Cazza53 I love your menu choices. I haven’t received the book yet so am going to start following others suggestions, I’m relieved that you haven’t felt hungry, gives me hope as that’s the worst feeling.

• posted by Meeshe42
    on

Hi All

I started tuesday and would love to join this group. I live in London and have several stone to lose and having read the book cover to cover and seen my friend lose 4 stone cutting out carbs has given me the enthusiasm to give this a go. Also, having read the research it makes sense.

My plan is to this for 8-12 weeks and then move to the 5:2 plan. I am the classical yo yo dieter!!!! What I feel about this diet is that I will start to eat realistic size meals.

I have found it fine so far and instead of sitting down and just eating I am making the most of every mouthful. I have stocked up on fresh herbs, lemons and limes (great for flavouring water). So far it has gone really well with just two days of headaches but I did expect that as I am a carbo addict so I knew my body was adjusting. I drink lots more water and for those who love sweet stuff Liquorice herbal tea is great. I have added a few others to my collection which have helped as my office is tea heavy so now I just have boiled water and pop in my herbal tea bag from my collection. I also use the my fitness pal to record calories.

My menu for tomorrow is

Breakfast – 50g smoked salmon and half avocado
    Lunch – Quinoa salad – (mango, spring onion, celery, cucumber, pomegranate seeds, toasted almonds, chopped coriander and mint, lime juice and chicken) – all measured.
    Dinner – Chicken, cauliflower mash, roast carrots and fennel, cavolo nero.
    Snack – 20g nuts (not salted or roasted)

I am planing on double spin tomorrow to kick start my exercise to as this summer has been one of food, alcohol and no exercise!!!

Good luck new starters and hope your first day/week goes well x

• posted by MissZiggy
    on

I will join you too🙂..Ty fairyface for letting me know about this group!
    Tonight I have a huge big salad ,chicken wrapped in Prosciutto ham. I really would love a glass of wine 🤔Should I or shouldn’t I?

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

The wine really isn’t the issue – you can count it in your calories

The danger is that it can give you the munchies (personal experience speaking here) and all your good resolutions go out of the window.

So if it were me, I’d resist. If you can’t, drink as much fizzy water or more as the wine so that when you reach for a glass it’s water available.

Wine = lack of control. So be very very careful. 🙂

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

It’s so inspirational reading about all your experiences having started the BSDiet👍👍
    We had a family lunch today including wine & carbs so my husband & I will be starting tomorrow & probably for the first day doing a fast day waiting to eat until supper time but having 800 calories. This will probably be smoked haddock & poached eggs but might include an avocado & a pudding of yoghurt & berries to increase the calories up to 800! My husband is used to adapting his Type 2 diabetic medication on fast days with just supper but needs to make a GP appointment to check how to modify this for three meals a day. We are used to fasting so hoping two or three days like this will go ok until my husband can sort out reduced medication with three meals a day. Has anyone else modified taking Metformin & Gliclazide with 800 calories & three meals a day?

• posted by Cazza53
    on

Hi èverybody around the globe who is in 🙂 aww so we are all mega excited for the loss which will be our reward for being so good. WILLPOWER is our best friend -v- CARBS=bigger dress size!
    So today was…..
    Greek yoghurt with berries 200
    Roast chicken and green veg (gotta have Sunday roast)260
    Roasted peaches (yummy) 90
    Spicy prawn kebabs 190
    Drinks we’ve been having sparkling water with slice lemon (so refreshing) and today I had a cheeky vodka (50cals) with sparkling water as a treat instead of snack
    Total 790 cals
    Hung the xmas dress for me to see daily that was purchased and failed to get into last year as encouragement.
    Hubby is tea tearing on diabetes 2 and hopefully we will reverse it by xmas hurrah :))

• posted by ShellBrum
    on

Day 3 for me – heaps better on the headache front which is great, just a low lying one. Also noticed an increase in energy from yesterday too.

Meals for me today were

Breakfast: Portobello “toast” with goat cheese and pine nuts.
    Lunch: Pepper with jeweled feta.
    Dinner: Eggplant with lamb and pomegranate (swapped out lamb for smoked tofu which was amazing).

All great meals today! Drinking lots of water and peppermint tea (peeing lots too!).

Feeling good!

• posted by FlowerFairy
    on

Hello,

I’m starting the diet on Tuesday, after getting some new ingredients tomorrow.

I’m not diabetic – but don’t intend to be and I need to lose weight, preferably about 2 stone, but my goal at first will be a stone.

The weight is around my middle and bottom and I now have cellulite on my thighs, something which escaped me for years.

I realise I will never be a size 10 again, but a size 12 would be fabulous.

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Nice to see you Miss Ziggy.

Day 2

todays meals: Breakfast : poached eggs with spinach and pine nuts page 29 recipe book
    Lunch: Feta and avocado bash page 49
    Dinner: Beef stir fry with asparagus and sesame seeds page101

Verdict: breakfast: tried it will not be having it again
    lunch: I think it would be better not mashed together but chopped up with shredded lettuce.
    Felt as though I had eaten enough and lasted till dinner time at 5.30
    dinner: FANTASTIC.:-) Had it marinating since this morning. Had not got mange tout so used french beans
    and a courgette. I did cauliflower florets in the oven. Nice:-)

Had had several cups of tea and loads of water. Might have to have a few almonds later but I will see how I go.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Wendy1947

You might want to look at Bill1945’s thread ‘this has to work for me’ to see what he did. That may help.

• posted by Fairydewdrop
    on

Day 5 still have a bad head even though drinking over 2 litres of water. Finding the diet easier than I thought so far
    Breakfast : strawberry, blueberries Greek yogurt
    Lunch : Sardines, Rocket, salad leaves
    Dinner :Roast Chicken, Vegetables.

So good so far.

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Thank you captainlynne for the link.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Fairy dewdrop do remember to add more salt than usual to your diet – with all the fluid we flush it out and it’s important to get enough sodium.

This can also help with headaches.

Add salt to your food, drink Miso soup. Or perhaps dissolve a stock cube in boiling water as a drink

Hope that helps 🙂

• posted by captainlynne
    on

You are welcome Wendy1947. Hope it helps.

• posted by GreenTea
    on

Hi all,

Day 2 started off great but then had a headache late afternoon despite drinking lots of water.

Dinner was – avocado, cherry tomatoes, 2 slices of ham and coriander = 175 cals

The coleslaw I had for lunch really filled me up as I had to really chew the red and white cabbage LOL.

Had blueberries and 1/2 apple as snack and have 46 cals leftover today.

Oh and I ordered new bathroom scales with fat% / water% / BMI analyser from Amazon. Thinking I’ll weigh myself twice a week rather than daily.

Keep up the good work everyone

• posted by Happygirl
    on

Hello there,
    I would like to join this forum. To be honest I started on the 1st, on my own, and came across this forum.
    I am Irish, 51 and have been overweight since last year and can’t seem to shake the extra kilos off. I also have an underactive thyroid. I have tried the Fast 2 diet and even though it works, I found that after a while, I couldn’t control the non fast days, I used to binge.
    However I feel really motivated to give the 8 week diet a go. In fact I am going to buy weighing scales and go for it.
    I have been good so far, following the diet and being positve – it is only 2 days!!
    I hope everyone does well, the best of luck to you all.
    Cheers

• posted by NeNe
    on

Hi everyone, just finished my first day and feeling great about my decision to do this. Reading all your posts will keep me motivated. Also the thought of being fit and healthy will keep me going. I cleaned the house from top to bottom today so I’m counting that as exercise but I will unfold the bike that’s been in the corner of the living room since January and do a few km in the morning. Looking forward to having energy again, looking forward to my new grandchild in December and to being a glamorous gran. Just having some apple & pear tea before bed watching Ryder Cup with hubby. Go Europe! Goodnight my lovely diet buddies,
    NeNe xx

• posted by Happygirl
    on

Hello again!
    Forgot to mention that I bought the book too.
    Nevertheless I won’t be following all of the recipes as I like to experiment and try out new ideas!! It’s great to have a forumwhere we can share and support each other.
    Today I had a small piece of toast with olive oil with coffee for breakfast.
    At lunchtime we had homemade vegetable soup followed by roast herb salmon.
    For dinner I cooked wild mushrooms in garlic with poached eggs. We spent 3 hours foraging in the mountains for them.
    Happy days!!!
    No drink all weekend which is a major achievement for an Irish woman – mother of teenage twins.
    But the weight has got to go so we’ll soldier on.
    Cheers

• posted by MissZiggy
    on

Hi again, Has anyone suffered leg cramps while on this diet? I had the worst headache yesterday all day too. LAst night I was woken with a violent cramping of my leg which made me do a dance around the bedroom at 4 in the morning😥

• posted by Frog
    on

I have Miss Ziggy – but then I used to get occasional leg cramp pre BSD
    Had something v odd the other evening – was lounging on the sofa, felt a pain in my foot, and noticed that my big toe was sticking up at a 90 degree angle – and I simply couldn’t move it. Continued to get more painful for about 5 minutes – eventually I stood up, and managed to straighten it. Have no idea what it was, or why – hope it doesn’t happen again.

• posted by StaceySmith
    on

Hi! I don’t know about you, but water is flushing out of my system like crazy! This seems to cause some people to have muscle cramps. To help alleviate them – make sure you are getting some minerals. Get at least 1 tsp. of pink sea salt into your diet – could put it in some of your water. If that doesn’t do the trick – try getting some magnesium as well – CALM magnesium is easy!

Please log in or register to post a reply.