1st October Starters Support Group

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Suze-g
    on

Hi all
    Am new to the forum today, have never posted anywhere before.
    Have about three stone to lose and after a visit to the doctors 2 months ago discovered my hba1c was 42, borderline pre diabetes. I decided that i would have to do something about it.
    For two months now have been following the standard low fat high carb dietary recommendations and have lost a stone. A couple of weeks ago i was told about the blood sugar diet and decided that i would give it a go.
    I have tried a few recipes from the book, the red thai curry was scrummy and the halloumi skewers.
    Im due to weigh myself tomorrow (end of week 1) however i had a sneaky stand on the scales tonight and have lost 8lb. I cant quite believe it as i have not been hungry at all and this is not week one of my wt loss journey.
    Going to continue into week two with new enthusiasm
    suze-g

• posted by EmilyJones
    on

Day 2 is over! I ALMOST caved and had a glass of red wine. What stopped me was a) I would have had to walk 10 minutes to the shop to buy it and am feeling too weak from lack of food to do so 😅 b), as was said up thread, wine= total loss of will power and would lead to a demented carb binge! And c) I did not want to have to come on this forum and admit to falling off the wagon on Day 2! Not that falling off means you cannot get right back on. But I really need this to work.

So here I am in bed , a bit hungry and grumpy, but pleased to have stuck it out.

Lunch was some vegetable gyozas which needed to be used up. Dinner was dahl and broccoli.

So grateful for this supportive community.

Here’s to Day 3/61

• posted by StaceySmith
    on

Hi! Day two – my stomach is growling, but I don’t feel ‘hollow’ and desperate for food! Yay!

Day one ate:
    Breakfast: Yogurt with rhubard compote – p. 171. OMGOSH! Whole yogurt is Heaven-sent! This was pretty good for no sugar yogurt!
    Lunch: Portobello “toast” w/ goat cheese and pinenuts – p. 173 Okay – yes! Way better than anticipated! Will repeat!
    Dinner: Recipe from my own box – Mexican chicken – which is easy, everyone LOVES it and it fits the bill in every way. Had this with like…3 cups chopped romaine, sour cream and 1/4 cup grated cheddar.

Day two:
    Breakfast: No-carb muesli – p. 173 Hello, watery yogurt with raisins. This was just so-so.
    Lunch: Chicken with Walnut Lettuce Cups – p. 173. This – was WAY better than anticipated! Sour cream/grainy dijon/lemon. Perfect!
    Dinner: Recipe from my own box – Paleo-type meatloaf, green beans, green salad with Olive oil, Italian spices, salt and pepper.

Most of the recipes in the book are pretty far out from what I normally eat, because – we don’t do seafood here! If you’d like my Mexican chicken and Meatloaf recipes, reply and I’ll add them!

• posted by Renazee
    on

Yes I would like to try this starting Monday!

• posted by Jodes82
    on

Hey everyone!
    I’m so flipping excited! I’m on day 3 and my bsl’s have never looked better!!!
    At the moment I’m wondering what took me so long to find this book!! I’ve been in such a lull hating cooking and making really bad choices, but this is amazing! I’m loving the challenge of making something delicious with my 800 calories! I just made myself a beetroot dip with carrot and celery for lunch tomorrow. Is anyone else loving this and not feeling too hard done by?

• posted by Tuli
    on

I started today. I could lose three stones. That would be so much better for my knees. 800 calories really is not very much food😳

• posted by Jenni from the Block
    on

Jodes82 everything you say is so accurate. I’m on week 6 and still find it amazing that is such a doable eating plan for 8 weeks and has options at the end of week 8 to stay on track or lose more.

• posted by Formeandyoumum
    on

Heya Ganga!
    Room for one more not so little one??!

Just found you, registered and need help and support to do this please! I love starting stuff and am not so hot on finishing anything!

In my early 40s and as my mum died of kidney failure thru diabetic, so thought it was about time I pulled my finger out and did something before waiting to be diagnosed and then making life changes!

Starting from today – have the book but not finished it yet

Brekkie is boiled eggs, fruit for snacks and butternut squash soup for lunch at work – dinner will be chicken and steam veg – without tonnes of garlic bread or loads of potatoes like we normally have!

I Have a Instapot pressure cooker and a slow cooker so no excuse not to plan ahead and get myself organised – which I’ll start from tonight and get the family involved too,

Not checked my bsl so will try and get to the chemist goat to get it done- can you still go to lloyds and get it done free?

Thanks everyone and good luck to us all!!

• posted by Jodes82
    on

Thanks Jenni from the block!
    The low bsl’s are enough to keep me going! I think organisation is the key and to make time to exercise. It’s easy for me at the moment as it’s school holidays and my son is with his dad for a week. We’ll see how next week goes!

• posted by JulesG
    on

Hi, I am starting today have basic information from this site and the articles in the Daily Mail last week. I want to buy a book but am not sure which would be the best, the “8 week diet book by Michael Mosley or the Recipe book by his wife, what would you recommend?

• posted by shalimar
    on

Check out all the pulldown/click tabs on the website … esp. Blood Sugar Diet, Get Started, etc.

I would buy the 8 week diet book …. excellent to reread for inspiration … and to look up things … keeps you reminded about why and how the BSD diet works, etc.
    I would buy the recipe book … when it comes out in paperback (just a few months away in Canada). There are lots of recipes here on the site and the BSD 8 week book to get started on.

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Yes Miss Ziggy I have whilst doing 5:2 & as others have mentioned you need to include more salt in your diet whilst drinking lots more water. Try a cup of Bovril as a hot drink. My husband & I are starting BSD today so I will be keeping to having a cup of Bovril today.
    Good luck & I hope your leg cramps go away!

• posted by JulesG
    on

thank you, sounds like a plan

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Hello all and good luck with your BSD journeys!

Just a quick thing Formeandyourmum – be very careful about fruit for snacks.

The BSD recommends limiting fruit because surprisingly it is very high in both calories and carbs because of the fructose which is of course sugar.

Berries are the best but even then if you check the calories and carbs on an app like MyFitnessPal or FatSecret you will see how the calories mount.

So plan fruit in carefully. Once you see an apple is 80 calories and 18 carbs you might want to “spend” this elsewhere. I always thought fruit “didn’t count” but it does if you have 800 calories and are trying to keep carbs at 50g per day or less. 😉

Onwards and downwards! 🙂

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Hooray starting today with my husband & we have just worked out how to monitor our visceral fat on our weight scales😀👍
    My husband will also be making an appointment with his diabetic nurse so until then will treat days as fast days & not eat until supper but have coffee with some milk, Bovril & lots of water until our supper of smoked haddock & poached eggs. But will also have whole fat organic yoghurt & raspberries & blueberries for pudding. I’m so hoping this will lead to good weight losses & the reversal of my husbands Type2 diabetes!
    Good luck everyone👍👍👍🍀🍀🍀🍀

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

By both books JulesG if you can afford them because it’s so useful to be able to use as a reference & the recipes are inspiring.

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Thank you Igorasusual for highlighting the high sugar & calorie count of some fruit particularly mango & bananas! This is going to be the difficult thing for me substituting vegetables for fruit because I also like dried fruit in yoghurt but will have to go without for the next eight weeks. However I do like blueberries & strawberries so will have to retrain myself!

• posted by Jodes82
    on

Wow! I just watched the insight sbs beating diabetes video with MM on you tube. If you haven’t watched it I would highly recommend you do. It also made me realize how corrupt diabetes australia is! I’ll post the link below.

https://youtu.be/hDEw561NFto

• posted by Avila
    on

I am going to tag along with you as a ‘restarter’….. I have 10kg more to lose.

My weakness is salty crisps and drinking….so trying to do ‘sober October’ as well as getting strict again with BSD having been too relaxed over the second month of my first round.

The food is not a challenge but the habit of a drink at end of the day is one I need to break.

Be aware – a break from the wagon is not the end of the world, but one carb can set off the carb monster, and a dramatic fall can been facing the detox/ carb flu again… Learned from experience!!

• posted by shalimar
    on

Jodes82 I just watched the video you posted.

Still that resistance to saying the low-fat with extra sugar and additives is NOT a good thing.

I’m actually glad that Dr. Taylor insisted that when you are trying to loose weight that really increasing your exercise is not necessarily helpful …. it is especially not good advice to someone like me who is very out of shape … it will probably take me a year to be reasonably fit.

I mean my body is so fat that some exercises like yoga are impossible for me to do.

And the resistance to the idea that you can REVERSE diabetes …. is not a new one …. it is possible.

It’s a total lack of education and the notion that diabetes isn’t that dangerous … you take some pills and all is well. I certainly subscribed to the notion that if i took my metformin that i could eat pretty much what i wanted … of course i wanted that false notion to be true. I was taking 5 metformin a day and still got very very sick indeed. Never mind what 5 metformin a day for decades was doing to my body.

I do think that suddenly going from 2000 calories plus to 800 cals a day …. may be too much to ask …. Perhaps adopt the mediteranean, low carb diet …. for 1200 calories for a week or 2 … and seeing where one can cut that to 800 would be easier for many people. The TV program made it seen such an all or nothing type of deal …. when there are a number of variations and options.

• posted by Elisabeth45
    on

Hi , joining in ,I started 29th so day 5 today , I have at least 18lbs to lose and need to stop eating rubbish ! I am looking forward to trying new recipes and have time to do it at the moment .I am trying focus on not what I can’t have but all the new things to try .My brother and sister in law follow some of the paleo diet and my SIL has made some lovely food recently which fits with the low carb idea so I am enjoying them .
    So far it has been remarkably ok , not to hungry and enjoying tha food .I feel tired but I have an awful cold I am determined that will not derail me just looking forward to more energy and my clothes fitting better !
    Food I miss the most ,toast and marmalade ! Had some rye bread yesterday and going to make tahini crackers now (paleo recipe uses coconut flour) .
    Good luck everyone ,I am treating this like a slimming club ,without the cost and embarrassment!

• posted by GreenTea
    on

Good day everyone,

Igorasusual – you are so right about the fruit. I had yogurt this morning with a banana instead of berries and it took up big carb % of my daily ratio. If only I’d checked on MFP beforehand!

Was finishing off fruit bought pre-BSD so no more bananas on my shopping list – there’s also a mango left but will give that to my nephew who loves them.

Will check in with you all later tonight after I’ve tried making the broccoli and cheddar soup for lunch (also using up pre-BSD ingredients).

• posted by apatch
    on

Hi Emily!

I will join you too! I just started today…day one half down and not doing toooo badly so far…

I’m a single mother of one in my late 30s. 5 ft 3…about 12 St. I’ve been really hooked on carbs too, despite trying a few times to change my eating habits. I’m hoping that a more structured plan (and online support community!) might be what I need to take more control of my diet..

Wish me luck!

Annette 🙂

• posted by GreenTea
    on

Thanks Dona Rosa,

Just checked on link you gave me. Did you know frozen blueberries have slightly less carbs than fresh blueberries? Interesting….

• posted by Dona Rosa
    on

I think it is all so interesting when you delve into things you thought were ok. Sadly blueberries and raspberries are far too expensive here so I tend to go for apples, pears, cherries and strawberries (when in season) but now aware of having to watch the intake.

• posted by PurpleKate
    on

Hello there
    I started Sober October and 800 Calorie diet on October1st . I’m 57, 5ft8in and have now dropped to 12st13lb. I’ve been flirting with the diet since I discovered that I was more than 13st8lb a few weeks ago. Now I’m doing it for real. GP said my blood sugars are all good but I have gained 2stone of fat around my midrift since falling and hurting my leg this spring. I’m back to swimming walking and cycling now but the tummy and back fat wasn’t budging and I don’t like it. I did plenty of cooking and food prep on sunday and am taking packed lunches to work so that I don’t need to go into one of these fabulous tempting food emporiums around high Holborn . So far so good.

• posted by HealthyH
    on

Hi All,

Count me in, great idea having this thread. I have started today, so kind of in the same group as everyone else here.

I am married man, 41, father of three, I am 5ft 8 and weigh in a 241 lbs. I honestly am stocky so some of it is bone, muscle etc 😅

Looking to get to 210lbs as my first target with the help of this plan and support of this community.

Good luck to all here👍

• posted by Johnny J
    on

Started last week without book, just dropping all the simple carbs and adding extra veg in their place…. already making a difference. will be glad to compare notes with others here! 15 st., 5’6″, aiming for 11 st for now. Fish & chicken eater, not red meat. have extended over night fast from dinner by 7 p.m. until breakfast at work about 11 a.m., as Michael suggests. it’s working!

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Hello everyone and welcome to the people who have joined us all today.

Day 3

Breakfast: Smoked salmon and scrambled egg
    Lunch: Big mushrooms baked with feta with a handful of watercress
    Dinner: Garlic and rosemary fried lamb (page 130) with beans and quinoa

Breakfast: not a big fan of smoked salmon but I zapped it in the microwave for a few seconds to cook it and then added it to my
    scrambled egg. Really enjoyed it.
    Lunch: I had big mushrooms in the fridge, brushed them lightly with olive oil baked in oven with feta cheese. Had no spinach so
    used watercress on the side. Really enjoyed lunch.
    Dinner: Lamb was lovely, not keen on the quinoa so I would perhaps just dry seal a courgette if I cook this again.

Lots of water again today. Had a headache starting this morning so nipped it quick with a paracetamol.

Weighed myself today and I am 3lbs lighter than my start weight. So pleased.
    Generally feel quite well. Slept well last night (first time in weeks) and managed to get through three hours of ironing done in one go. Not been able to do that without sitting down for over 12 months.

Before I found the Blood Sugar Diet I really thought I was going to die soon. Felt so slow and sluggish for a couple of years. Started to worry about having a fatty liver! Also not being able to walk very far without sitting down is very depressing. Clothes…….thats for another day.
    I am out for lunch on Friday which I was going to cancel but my husband said go and have a lovely time with friends. Bit ‘iffy’ about it as Saturday is weigh day.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Well done, Fairyface – great stats and menu!

Just to say re the lunch – where are you going? Can you look up the menu in advance on the net and plan what you’re having?

Have a starter portion and a salad. Or two starters as starter and main. Or no starter and a protein laden main with a side salad and no potatoes. If you are drinking wine, get a bottle of fizzy water and drink it glass for glass (or two glasses water for one wine, depending on what sort of outing it is 😉 )

You will feel awkward and as though you are making a fool of yourself but, as Captainlynne here said the other day re her long stints in hotels for work – waiters are used to customers asking for different things (and no carbs is a very common thing nowadays), and other people are often far too worried about what they’re eating to take too much notice of what you’re eating.

You can say things like – I’m not too hungry this evening, had a large lunch.

You will be absolutely fine, and given you can’t lock yourself away for 8 weeks, you might as well just see how you go when out ! 🙂

• posted by nova1
    on

Hi!
    Hope it’s not too late to join in with you all?
    I’m 5’2″ and 13 stone exactly. I’ve already lost 1 stone 4 lbs with Slimming World but then got bored and wanted quicker results! I’m a type 2 diabetic on tablets and 5 injections of insulin a day and I’ve discovered that I really need the support of a group, so here I am!
    Forgot to say that I’m 46 and want to do something to change myself forever before I get any older and I’ve got 4 stone to lose! x

• posted by Malta 7
    on

So nearly end of day two no problems so far and no headaches !
    Have lost 1 kg and feeling resolute off for some minestrone soup and a chapter of the book for inspiration

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Thanks for the advice Igorasusal. I will look at the menu before I go on Friday. I will not be having wine because I
    will be driving! We are also out over the weekend but have managed to work round the two days with meal planning.

• posted by Miranda
    on

Hi Jules
    Have both books but on balance prefer the recipe book. Found it cheaper in Sainsbury’s than Amazon. I made the mistake of getting it on kindle first but appear to be an old fashioned girl when it comes to following recipes. If you are an avid reader you can get the first book from Amazon on a buy 3 for £10

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

We have successfully got through our first day treating it as a fast day & waiting to eat until supper. We have eaten & drunk the following
    Four cups of coffee with a splash of semi-skimmed milk.
    One cup of Bovril made with one teaspoon of Bovril to increase salt intake
    4-6 1/2 pint glasses of water
    100g of fresh prawns on a little lettuce with
    100g of avocado
    95g of smoked haddock baked in the oven with a little butter that melted but was not eaten served with
    2 medium poached eggs.
    100g full fat organic Greek yoghurt with
    100g fresh blueberries
    1 small apple
    Total calories 747 but don’t know how many carbs!
    We are used to fasting doing 5:2 so at the moment it feels just like our usual fast day with more to eat! My husband is seeing his GP tomorrow to check on how to modify his medication but as usual has had half his medication & is used to doing this. The unknown is how to eat reduced calorie three meals a day. Tomorrow will probably be more challenging!! Hope your day has gone well👍👍

• posted by ShellBrum
    on

Day 4 and a good day. One small headache only and energy continues to improve which is amazing.

Todays meals were

Creamy Smoked Salmon – Great breakfast dish, used greek yoghurt instead of creme fraiche.
    Crab and Mustard Lettuce Cups (not again with tinned crab!)
    Chicken and Pea “Pilaf” – great but will up the spices next time.

Took a sneaky look at my weight on the scales first thing this morning and had a 3 lb loss. Hoping that it continues the same for the rest of the week and I’ll have a half stone gone!

• posted by RubyLondon
    on

Hello everyone:)

Day 1 for me.

I spent the morning reading the 8 week BSD book and then went into a mild panic about not having any suitable food in the house. Hit the shops after finding a recipe for chicken breasts with basil and pine nuts… cheating slightly by using pesto. Will have with green beans and throw in some rosemary potatoes for family. Today has been a bit hit and miss but so far …

Breakfast: 2 scrambled eggs with mushrooms
    Lunch: Hairy Bikers recipe for minestrone soup with a tablepoon of parmesan (long standing staple)
    Dinner: chicken breast with pesto and green beans

Might not keep exactly to 800 on day 1 but compared to what I have eaten over the weekend, I am heading in the right direction:)

… Wondering what kind of yoghurt people are buying? I normally buy supermarket brand 0 fat greek yoghurt but have been reading that this is not such a great choice.

Good luck everyone: )

Motivation: Better health and fitness and to reduce HbA1c blood count of 47.

• posted by ShellBrum
    on

Hi RubyLondon,

The BSD 800 book recommends buying full fat foods ie full fat greek yoghurt in this case for you, it makes you feel fuller longer and has less sugars (therefore carbs) than low fat goods. Plus it tastes lovely. I have been cooking with it this week!

• posted by Kosher Kid
    on

Hi All

Been lurking around the forums for the past few days and thought I would like to join you.

This is day 5 for me on the BSD. I’m m47 and started at 89.9kg and know I need to lose more than a few of those!. So far, over 4 days I have lost 1.7kg.

My best friend now is my fitbit, he goes everywhere with me – getting to 15000 steps a day.

Hope to share / support / compare with you all here

• posted by KatKK
    on

Hello. I just found out about this and want to jump in with both feet. I NEED to do this. I feel this is my last chance. I’ve tried several diets and never go past three days. I am obese. I’m 53 years old, 5’3 and weigh 310 lbs. I am very active with all my weight but having a very hard time getting around. I push myself. I have double knee replacement so exercise is tough other than my daily work. I run a successful and very much loved profession of childcare for 28 years. I have a cattery and love to show my cats. I have children and grand children who I need to be able to keep up with too. My family needs me to be around and so do my daycare families. I am slowing down and feel awful. I do not tell anyone. The only thing I look forward to is bed of which I can’t sleep well even with a apnea Cpap machine. I am by no means a complainer but want all out in the table because I want to do this right. This is a new approach and I’m looking forward to it. I am a positive happy person who hides their inner pain due to my weight. I am married to a super fit handsome man and wonder kids. I want to be here and make them proud of me. They are anyway but you know what I mean. Thanks for this post. I will give it me all.

• posted by MissZiggy
    on

Hi Californian girl, what a lovely message. I have piled on the pounds over the past couple of years and was completely in denial. I went on holiday recently and was shocked when I looked in the mirror while wearing my swimsuit at just how awful and out of shape I am😥 I enjoyed my holiday eating and drinking the fantastic food that was on offer but I vowed that this would be my last holiday abroad being overweight and carrying a huge stomach. I like yourself will not be weighing myself but I have taken side and front view photos together with waist and bust measurements. I will check on my progress with the same each month. I also bought a dress which i cannot wear at the moment as it is too small😰. I love the dress and hope to wear it one day. My last word for now…….I WANT MY WAIST BACK!😡😡😡😡
    MIss Ziggy

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Welcome and good luck KatKK!

You have found a wonderful thing in the BSD and I hope it will be really beneficial for you. Lots of great advice here.

Do look up Lucia and Captainlynne’s posts and keep asking for support if you need it. You will find it here.

And keep us posted 🙂

• posted by Dona Rosa
    on

Day 3, Breakfast yoghurt and peach, Lunch was a large chicken breast (shared with other half) chopped and mixed with shallots, drizzle of olive oil, 1 mushroom and tsp of cajun spice and stir fried. Dinner a bowl of homemade pumpkin and chilli soup. Lots of water and so far since about 3.00am this morning, 14 trips to loo which other half finds highly entertaining. Weighed this morning but could not tell if I had actually lost 1 kg or not. Hoping for better clue on Wednesday when I jump on again.

Enjoying the challenge of the food and discovered my Carbs and Calorie book tucked in a cupboard which is now to hand.

Loving reading everyone’s posts.

• posted by RubyLondon
    on

Thank you ShellBrum, I’ll change over tomorrow. It’s lovely to be on board:)

• posted by GreenTea
    on

Hi Folks,

Welcome to all the new BSD joiners 🙂

Good day so far.
    Breakfast – Yogurt with banana & black coffee
    Lunch – cheddar and broccoli soup (delicious and very filling)
    Dinner – Steamed Cauliflower and grilled chicken thigh (cauliflower was a good rice substitute, used garlic salt, black pepper and chilli flakes on chicken, no oil – also delicious).

The soup recipe I used was from the ‘Quick start Guide – The Essential Blood Sugar Diet’ recipe book as it was a 3 book deal on Amazon with ‘8 week BSD’ & ‘Fast Exercise’.

• posted by KatKK
    on

Thank you so much for your post. Very inspiring.

• posted by KatKK
    on

Thank you so much.

• posted by KatKK
    on

Starting today too. We can do it.

• posted by Happygirl
    on

Hi everyone.
    Today is Monday so it’s a hard day to get through by its very definition.
    I had a small piece of toast with coffee for breakfast.
    At lunch I had a small roast salmon salad, yesterday’s leftovers,with lots of green things!!!
    How come we never overeat lettuce!! As well as a small greek yoghurt.
    For dinner I had homemade courgette soup with a meatball, as well as grilled wild mushrooms.
    It all sounds very impressive but I am feeling hungry this evening. I was fine all day until I got home and took my shoes off.
    So, I have been telling myself – get a grip girl, tomorrow is another day and you will eat again.
    Meanwhile, just get through this a day at a time.
    Hunger is my friend!!!

Hope everyone is having a great day or at least soldiering on. To achieve this will be so good for our health.
    Cheers

Please log in or register to post a reply.