1st day of the rest of my life!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Trelawny
    on

Tattiescone, I know what you mean. I have a fear of being slim because of the extra attention peope give me!! When I am overweight, I don’t exist!! As I have been overweight all my life, and had the put downs from my stepmum, dad and husband and then my son joined in, it is easy to play the role. But when I am thinner I suddenly am worthy of everyone’s attention. Perhaps it is how I react to the world and not the world reacting to me I could be a ‘fruit loop’ who knows. But for my health I WILL succeed on my journey this time.
    THIS MORNING – have broken the barrier – 11st 13 3/4lbs, healthy liver here I come!
    Have a good, low carbday everyone x

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Morning everyone.

Interesting points!

Having been overweight for over 50 years, I’ve had all the comments from people who think it’s ok to say what they want to me and I’ve often felt invisible. I’ve walked into shops and been ignored – obviously not fitting their customer profile!

It’s been difficult to find clothes that are “me” so I’ve had to buy just what fits. Recently I’ve realised that my late mother has been sitting on my shoulder, whispering in my ear that I shouldn’t wear whatever I’m looking at. But folk on here have helped me with that.

I’m dealing not only with my “inner tapes”, made throughout my life – not worthy, etc – but also with common now from family, colleagues and others about the weight loss. I try to laugh them off, and I have said to more than one person that I am the same person I was – it’s just the outside that’s changed. I seem to now be the person I have always been, just in a different casing.

At 5′ 1″ it’s easy for me to be ignored – not so much now as the colours I wear are becoming brighter. Short of a high viz vest, I don’t think some of them could be brighter!

It’s interesting how much we are affected by our weight in so many different ways. Ways we’d never believe. But we can all get where we want to be.

Best wishes to everyone on your journeys.

• posted by Coady
    on

Hi everyone
    Good to see your all doing well, did not weigh in last week as decorating my spare bedroom / office ,god I did not know how I managed to store so much shit in one room lol, but I thought it’s getting to winter in the U.K. Can’t get out and spend the evenings in the garden so with The nights drawing in and as I’m now shedding the pounds I will now shed some crap ๐Ÿ˜„, One of the hardest parts is when Its my turn to cook for our girls night (we meet up every month round one of our houses and cook and gossip lol) so have Been making my chicken curry now for years using this curry powder and not really look at the carb content but wow was I pleased when I read it for a 100g it’s only 8.3 of which 2g are sugars and since you only use 85g to make up the sauce ( with water) I was over the moon that I could still use it just have cauliflower rice with it instead of normal rice and it lovely got my friends on the cauliflower rice so great it’s called mayflower medium curry sauce mix in the uk you can buy it from farm foods it 99p it’s made by KingAsia foods ltd so this might help if you live out side of the uk and taste just like a Chinese curry all tips help I find, also have my Fitbit on an average day now doing 13k steps
    Well everyone keep up the good work and remember WE ARE WORTH IT here’s to a slimmer 2017 and the rest of our lives x coady

• posted by Trelawny
    on

Hi Coady
    Sorting out makes you feel great, lifts a your mind and spirit.
    Glad you’re doing well. Enjoy your curry. xx

• posted by Tattiescone
    on

Thanks everyone for replying to the topicthread about the self and the weight. It is all very very interesting and I am comforted to know that I am not alone in having these niggles and self doubts. I am feeling much better today. It was possibly a bit of period paranoia also!
    Today was another good day
    B..cup of tea
    L ..chicken and veg broth. No bread. No butter. No feelings of deprivation about that either!
    ‘Snack. .apple and couple of cups tea
    Tea..chicken wrapped in bacon with salad mayo and a wee daud of cheese.
    Feeling slimmer in the mirror. When my belly is less sticky outy than my boobs (and I have big diddies) I will have reached a visual goal.
    I am only going to weigh on a Wednesday as I get affected if weight fluctuates up and end up downward spiralling.
    Totally in the zone at the moment and I am on it! Love to all you guys. We are helping each other through it. We are all in the same boat. This is so much better than any slimming club as we can have fairly in depth conversations and it is free! We can all be open about bad days and there is no pity! It’s all good.
    Tattiescone x

• posted by Natalie
    on

Tattiescone your post made me look down and I think my boobs do stick out more than my belly now! Well, in the morning at least before I start slumping. Big NSV!

• posted by Trelawny
    on

Yes my stomach and midriff are smaller than my boobs. My tummy is smaller than my midriff!! Last night noticed how much easier it is to walk up hills!! 11st 13 1/2lbs this morning.
    Lunch -Medi plate
    Dinner -Pork Parcel
    Evening snack – Greek yogurt and berries.
    Have a good day everyone xx

• posted by Trelawny
    on

Have lost focus, so much upheaval at home. New kitchen being fitted, new one stored and all the stuff from kitchen cupboards stored in our tiny 1 bedroom bungalow. So mayhem here. I don’t cope well with chaos!! But it will all be so worth it. New oven and induction hob, lucky, lucky, lucky. Meanwhile a fridge full of prepared salad to keep us going. But it isn’t hitting the spot!! Need something hot! Thanks everyone for keeping me keen to carry on. Will refocus this weekend, when life should return to normal!!xx

• posted by didimarks
    on

I’m not surprised you’ve lost focus! I would completely have lost it. What a nightmare! but as you say, it will be worth it. You’re dong so well.
    Keep going and be kind to yourself! x

• posted by Tattiescone
    on

Yes!
    I thought our thread had died..but it was just having a siesta.!!! I have been okay but not drinking enough water. I know it. WEIGH day tomorrow. Thinking likely plateau but you never know! Let’s keep at it!
    TS.

• posted by Trelawny
    on

It has warmed the cockles of my heart to hear from you TS and Didimarks. Am watching a programme on Really tv channel. Twin brothers lost over 125lbs each! A basketball star met them, one of their idols. He said ‘don’t look at the goal, look at today’. Was forgetting that, looking to a thinner me! Not concentrating on today and doing my best today. Not concentrating on my health. Will plan my Wednesday! I will congratulate myself on the fantastic loss I have already acomplished. Not beat myself up if daily plans go awry and I put on a pound or two. I have you all to remind that ‘today is the first day of the rest of our lives’. I will keep focus.
    Hope the weigh in goes well. TS xx
    Jackieppp and Coady how ya doing?

• posted by Natalie
    on

Trelawny that excellent to keep going without a kitchen and your whole place a mess. For many/most people, outer chaos really affects inner feelings. Must be so hard. Just do your best and pick it up when you get the new kitchen.

• posted by Trelawny
    on

Natalie, have been reading your posts. So pleased you are doing so well. xx

• posted by Tattiescone
    on

Aw trelawny and didi and Natalie
    YOU are all right! TRELAWNY you are so right about taking it day by day. I too was getting a bit carried away in the future, whereas when I go day by day I definitely perform better. TONIGHT I had a half of a fish supper. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I had had a hunger on me all day as gad been very physically busy. BUT I too am not going to beat myself up. As it was payday today I have decided that the next blow out I will allow myself is next pay day. ALSO I ran out of bovril which is normally my saviour.
    Scales today said 14.12 so a pound on. BUT have still lost weight from 15.10. Going to be extra careful the rest of the week till next wed weigh in. I just felt that my body needed that tonight.
    Hope you all keeping well. Xx TS

• posted by Trelawny
    on

Hi Tattiescone
    Snap, fish supper here as well!! Kitchen fitters unwell , so only 1 appeared for 2 hours today, so I am hoping they will still finish on Friday. I miss my new BSD recipes! I am so enjoying cooking again. Need a cooker! Well done with the weight loss thus far, doing very well young lady. Keep at it, a new ‘first day’ in one sleep! xx

• posted by didimarks
    on

Hi Tattiescone and Trelawny,

I had to eat out yesterday so went off piste, but only a bit. I had pork belly and loads of veg and I did share a pudding with my 8 year old (really important for me to seem normal around my girls). But… I stopped at that! Normally, I would have just said, ‘to hell with it’ and stuffed my face so that I could ‘start again’ tomorrow. But something (dare I think that it was self-control)? stopped me!

I weighed myself yesterday and have lost 3 pounds this week, so feeling good, but nothing exceptional there – I’m very good at losing and gaining the same 2-3 pounds! But mentally I feel tougher.

Having said that, there are some days that I really want to feel full. I have worked out that if I eat very low carb and increase my healthy fat intake, it gets me over that awful ‘I want to stuff my face’ hump and then I can go back to being more careful. By not stuffing myself with carbs I’m finding it easier to differentiate between true hunger and cravings.

Keep going girls – I think we’re all doing well. Learning (sometimes from our mistakes) all the time. I had this vision that I would just decide to stick to 800 cals a day and that would be it until I fail/succeed. Now I realise that it needs to be far more fluid for me to keep on track – the days I do well, great – the days I don’t do so well… learn and carry on!

x

• posted by Trelawny
    on

Hi Didimarks
    Well done on your self-control!! Everyday we can eat the BSD way is one day less of eating food that is doing us no good. So we must congratulate ourselves on any changes and strengths we are able to manage.
    Last night I ate my fish and chips like I hadn’t eaten for a fortnight. I sat there towards the end of the meal and thought what are you doing? But finished it anyway. Laying in bed last night, don’t know if it was the thought of eating so badly, or the effects of the fried, carbie food but I had palpitations and had to calm myself. The feeling in my liver area this morning is something I haven’t had for a few weeks. So definitely not worth it. I could have made better choices even though I don’t have a kitchen. People manage without!! But I am back on track today, salad, boiled egg and cheese for lunch, Salad and cold meats for tea. Then I know today I can feel good about myself again. As you say at long last I think self control is coming into our lives where food is concerned. Once upon a time I would not have noticed the difference in my body and carried on eating too many carbs and too many low sugar foods. But you are all there to urge me to keep going. Thank you.
    We can do it Didimarks xx

• posted by didimarks
    on

I know exactly how you feel Trelawny. Those palpitations are weird after eating carbs – I wondered if it was anxiety about eating foods that aren’t really good for us…maybe more to it than that though.

So well done for being back on track today.

Keep going!
    Roll on that new kitchen!!x

• posted by Tattiescone
    on

Hi didi and trelawny
    I think we are all very similar. I too had the fish supper then the day of thinking ..right back on track! PREVIOUSLY this would have induced a guilt ridden binge of self destruction. BUT today I just carried on. I had absolutely appropriate food, but was maybe a little high on calories. But I think that we cycle in what we need. So I have had one carbyy day..one slightly highcal day. But that it maybe just what the body needed to prepare for the next stage. Tomorrow I am going to be physically working, so that will keep me out of mischief.
    Plan for tomorrow
    B..cup tea x 2
    L..soup with lentils in
    T..fajitas minus the wrap.
    I am just thinking that I haven’t been so nibbley at night. HURRAY! I DO believe that we are learning self control. It’s such a funny feeling!!

• posted by Natalie
    on

Trelawny and didimarks, when I found out I had sleep apnoea I was talking to the sleep doctor and one of the questions he asked was “do you have heart palpitations?” and I was stunned because I’d never mentioned those weird worrying fluttering feelings to anyone. But he said they were the number one reason doctors referred patients to him as possible sleep apnoea sufferers because they are a common symptom. I can’t remember the reason why, something to do with the heart trying to make sure the oxygen is getting around the body? Anyway, weight loss should cure this, along with a lot of other things, but it’s something to be aware of as untreated sleep apnoea greatly increases your risk of heart attack and stroke.

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Tattiescone,

I use big lettuce leaves as an alternative to wraps with fajitas and can kid myself that they’re the same as the wraps.

• posted by Trelawny
    on

I have yet to try lettuce as ‘bread’, but it is on my list of ‘must tries’. Well looks like we won’t have a kitchen until Monday. Had a phone call an hour ago saying the electrician is being tardy and one of the workmen has not turned up again. So we have one fitter soldiering on!! So just a bit longer to wait for our lovely new kitchen. I am counting my blessings, I refuse to get stressed over workmen again!!! So looking forward to a simple butterbean stew with courgetti, yum, yum!!
    Fortunately Natalie I don’t suffer with sleep apnoea. It must be awful, but as you say improving your weight and lifestyle will make the world of difference.
    Have a good day everyone xx

• posted by Tattiescone
    on

Thank you julesmaigrit. I will be trying the lettuce tonight as the kids were out guising last night for Halloween so they ended up having beans on toast.
    I had 1 bit brown toast with ham. NOT bsd friendly, but better than a huge meal!
    Back on track today. Made a big pot of soup last night for this weekend’s to nourish me. BUT it does have a handful of lentils and split peas carrots and a bit of turnip in it. Does that mean that it will scupper my plans. IT also has leeks onions plenty water and stock and some ham. Yes it’s a fairly stodgy soup. But will just have a wee bowl. NO bread. STILL better than many alternatives.
    House full of sweeties from guising last night. Must avoid like the plague.
    Guising=trick or treating..in our village they do it the Fri before Halloween.
    Ts. XX good day everyone.
    Back on the bovril. Xx

• posted by Trelawny
    on

Yay, kitchen finished, able to cook and wash up after 10 days of being messed about. But we are there!! Back on track. Will not weigh til next week as last few days have been bad. Hopefully get straight this weekend, so I can get my life organised again!
    How are you doing TS, Wendyq, Didimarks? xx

• posted by Natalie
    on

Awesome Trelawny! It must have been so hard without a kitchen. Now you can throw yourself back into it. Are you going up to Christmas? I think we have seven weeks left.

• posted by Trelawny
    on

Hi Natalie
    Christmas and beyond!! Still a long way to go. You are doing well, sticking on in there. What’s your next goal? xx

• posted by Natalie
    on

I’ll be taking two days off over Christmas then continuing. I got under 80kg on Tues but then my weight bounced back up a bit so my next goal is to get under 80 and stay there!

• posted by Trelawny
    on

Welll done. xx How are you feeling after the op? xx

• posted by Natalie
    on

Much better, thanks. I have follow-up appointment next week.

• posted by didimarks
    on

That’s great news re Kitchen Trelawny. Enjoy!! I’m sure it will make everything so much easier. It must have been such a nightmare.

Haven’t had a particularly good week – still battling away though. I’ve started fasting for 3 days (Mon, Wed and Fri) and having as small a meal as I can in the evening and eating slightly more on the other days, but still sticking to a Med diet. Mentally I’m finding it easier and less tiring. If I’m honest I feel full so much quicker but still haven’t quite managed to listen to my body and stop eating. I know I eat for enjoyment so much of the time that I end up not really enjoying it! Isn’t that just so silly! So, not doing as well as I’d hoped, but I’m having to accept that everyone is different and this may be what works for me. Not long until Christmas now – yikes! I hope I will still be doing this forever. Worried that any weight gain over Christmas will set me up badly for the rest of the year in my usual panic. I do feel more in control at the moment though.

Glad you’re feeling better Natalie.

• posted by Trelawny
    on

Hi Didimarks

Still some to do with the kitchen, need shelf supports, they put 2 shelves in the base of the oven housing and left them just lying there, that really isn’t a problem but it has held up the clearing process. So off tomorrow to get some supports then hopefully can get it all packed away over the weekend. It is so good, we are very pleased with how it’s turned out.

I know what you mean about listening to your body. We started the week of having the kitchen fitted with loads of salad in the fridge, cooked chicken etc and lots of resolve. But by the time the weekend arrived and it was not finished as promised and no facilities, the takeaways called. Indian, Chinese, fish and chips, no holds barred, even cake one day, 2 not just one!!! I ate like I hadn’t eaten for a fortnight!! But it made me feel bad, sluggish, indigestion, bowel problems, but I could get quickly used to that again. That is how I got to be overweight in the first place. Although I have found that my body reacts noticeably to food it isn’t happy with now, it wasn’t always like that. Up to my 50’s I would say. But fortunately it does react now, especially after following the BSD for 8 weeks and I am more aware of the consequences of eating off plan!!! So the last 3 days I have been back on the plan and I must say that my mood is lifting, getting brighter and lighter by the minute. So hopefully will soon be back to ‘pre kitchen remodel’ mode.

If you have found fasting 3 days a week suits you stick with it. I have more than 800 calories at weekends, am happy to go up to 1500cals or more. I don’t count carbs, but don’t eat grains, potatoes or fruit, so carbs are cut down noticeably. I do still stick to plan but it works for me and I am happy to stay with that. As long as my weight is going down I don’t mind, I know my health is improving and that is what is important when you step back and look at this thing.

Christmas I shall do my best to cut down, but we will make a pact with each other here and now. IF WE MESS UP OVER CHRISTMAS WE WILL SUPPORT EACH OTHER EVERY STEP OF THE WAY TO A HEALTHY, SLENDER NEW YEAR, Agreed?

Have a good day. xx

• posted by didimarks
    on

Hi Trelawny,

I definitely notice feeling awful after eating foods that aren’t good for me. It baffles me that I was able to do it all the time before, but I suppose you build up a resistance to how awful you are feeling!

Agreed re Christmas! It makes so much difference to know there are people supporting each other to get more healthy.

Life is for living, after all!

x

• posted by Trelawny
    on

Great! We can do this! Christmas – bring it on. This year we win! xx

• posted by Tattiescone
    on

Hi there everyone
    Still here.
    Still at it. Some days are better than others!
    Have been at a plateau for a couple of weeks which is very frustrating as I am really eating about a third of what I was normally eating. Energy levels are good. Almost too good…a bit wired at times..but I will take that too! I think am losing inches but no tape measure. Still belly bigger than bobs. .but I think it is shrinking. My goal this week is to get to 14.10 as I gave been hovering 14.11 for a week or so and I think if I can just climb down one rung I will get a mental boost from that. I swear that my inner calories are clinging to me like a life raft. It is very amazing how difficult it is for me to let the fat go. But I am keeping going. I have been jokingky insulted about my weight by my skinny sister in law and I am..determined to show her!!!!! She is lovely but neurotic so all her calories get burned by worry. I am far more easy going..but fat! Well..you don’t get it all I suppose!!!!!
    Love to you all. Let’s stick together. I like our wee thread. I feel at home here. Comfy.
    XxTSxx

• posted by Trelawny
    on

In the past when I have lost weight people have told me how drawn I look!! When I am overweight they are only too happy to make snide remarks to let me know I am overweight (as if I didn’t know!!). My ex was excellent at that, without saying outright ‘you are fat!’ and sadly my son picked that trait up too! Now I have lost 21lbs, dropped a dress size and only my daughter has made comment. My co-workers – nothing! My son nothing. Why when they are happy to comment on your large size, are they not happy to encourage you on your journey down? It will always baffle me, I encourage my co-workers, friends, whoever I feel needs it. That is why I love this site, everyone is so encouraging. Gives you the strength to carry on! A bad day? Read everyone else’s struggles and more importantly their successes. Gives you a boot up the backside, gets you back on it, reminds you why we are doing this.

So today cheese and butter bean salad for lunch, harvest pie for dinner, greek yogurt and 8
    raspberries for snack now. Ate lunch 13.45 and will finish eating by 19.30, so a good day.
    No exercise though, too cold and wet to go out today. Will do some yoga stretches before bed time.

Night, night. See you tomorrow xx

• posted by Coady
    on

Trelawny
    The reason that those people will not give you encouragement is that all the time that you look fat or in there eyes not as good as them it makes there sad little lives feel better the moment you start to improve yourself and you start to look good it makes them feel threatened and then they lose control of you , You see the thing is in there sad little minds when your fat they look at you and say well at lease I’m not as fat or frumpy as her but the moment you start to look good they have to then look at themselfs and they don’t like what they see and then they become the fat ones they are just sad little bully’s and not worth it ,you carry on you reach your goal and shine there just jealous your true friends will say well done and that’s all that matters
    You go girl ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿƒโ€โ™€๏ธKeep up the good work and don’t let the haters drag you down to there low level

• posted by Trelawny
    on

Thanks Coady, you may well be right in what you say. I ignore them all best I can. How you doing? xx

• posted by Coady
    on

I’m doing good thank you I have lost to date 27 pounds stayed the same for two weeks then had a mad weekend and blow me it kicked started my lost again mad I know lol I now back on it but I have Saturday off lol but it’s working for me so if it’s working I’m sticking to it you take care and don’t let them get you down
    Good luck to everyone it’s hard this time of year with the cold weather and Christmas just round the corner but if we muck up over the Christmas period we can always get back on it in the new year so don’t beat yourselves up I won’t ๐Ÿ˜€ Coady xx

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Hi Trelawny/Coady,

I had an interesting experience yesterday. I was at a client I haven’t been to since before I started on BSD. (I’ve lost four stone since then). I was talking with someone who I have worked with on and off for the last ten years and know very well. We’d been talking about the project we are going to work on and after about 15 minutes, she suddenly asked me f I had lost weight. She explained that she’d wanted to ask, but wasn’t sure whether it might have been the result of an illness but had decided as I looked so well she’d broached the subject.

I suppose that this is a consequence of losing a lot of weight quickly.

• posted by Trelawny
    on

Well done Julesmaigret. Glad someone found it within themselves to pass a comment on your fantastic weight loss. xx

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

I think some people’s reticence to pass positive comments may be concern that rapid weight loss could be a symptom of something serious.
    Also as a bloke, I would feel a bit uncomfortable mentioning it to a lady as it could be misconstrued and end up sounding a bit “creepy”.

• posted by topcac
    on

Jules – you can compliment me on how fabulous I look any day of the week!!!!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

It took a long time before anyone commented on my weight loss. Then the first question was ‘are you ok?’ So I realised they thought I was ill.

There are still some people who think I’m ill – they are so used to me being round/fat/obese that they can’t accept the new me. Err … the same me, just a different outside! But those I meet for the first time now just accept me as I am.

It’s interesting how we see people. Weighloss (especially when it’s rapid) and contact lenses instead of glasses seems to be a great disguise ๐Ÿ˜ณLOL

• posted by Trelawny
    on

My colleagues congratulate everyone on their weight loss! An ex emlooyee popped in and he has lost the same as me, was still overweight like me, and everyone, without exception went into raptures about how much he had lost and how great he looked!! Family members come in, and everybody congratulates each other on their 5lbs or so loss. I think Coady hit the nail on the head! Certainly in my case anyway. But other peoples opinion of me is none of my business, ‘cos it makes no differnce to my life, unless I let it! xx

• posted by Trelawny
    on

Back on it!! Broken the 12stone barrier once again. 11st 12 3/4lbs. Very happy. How’s everyone doing? xx

• posted by Trelawny
    on

Struggling, food dominant in my mind. Think of all the treats I used to eat. Stand and look at them in the shop and some voice is telling me No! And I really don’t want them when faced with them. So am progressing I think! Eating too much at weekends (med style though) so hovering around 12 stone. Feeling good all in all. How are you all doing? xx

• posted by Natalie
    on

Excellent work resisting, Trelawny! I am really struggling this week too but haven’t done so well as you and the weight is creepy back on. Scary. I need to get it together.

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Strange isn’t it. I bought the team a load of cakes from Patisserie Valerie this afternoon and had no interest – I bought myself a Suki green tea (very dubious quality tea)

• posted by Trelawny
    on

Natalie, sorry to hear you are struggling as well. Think of how far you have already travelled on your journey. The determination you have found, hold onto that. Christmas is still 5 weeks away. What we can do in 5 weeks is amazing on this plan. Just need to get our heads around it once again. Are you eating enough fat, protein, drinking plenty? You know the drill. How are you doing after your op. Revisit your first couple of weeks when you felt so good, see what you did then to give you energy. Good luck have a great day or night? xx

• posted by Natalie
    on

Thanks Trelawny. I had a rather relaxed dieting day (week! But today was deliberate) today which won’t be good on the scales but I feel mentally refreshed and really to get back into it tomorrow.

Please log in or register to post a reply.