16th July 2018

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Verano
    on

Search on ‘good low car food’ for lots of good recipes. Here’s one more soup recipe………

Cauliflower and Red Pepper Soup
    Approx 6 servings
    1tbs olive oil
    1 medium/large head of cauliflower, cut up
    4 red peppers, skin removed & chopped (grill/roast/flame leave in sealed polythene bag to cool, skin)
    1 large onion, chopped
    2 or 3 sticks of celery, chopped
    2 vegetable or chicken stock cubes
    1.5 litres water
    1tsp smoked paprika
    salt and pepper to taste
    Saute the onions and celery together in olive oil until soft.
    Add smoked paprika and cook for 30 seconds or so.
    Add cauliflower, stock cubes and water and cook for about 20 mins.
    Add red peppers and cook for a further 20 mins or so.
    Whizz with stick blender/liquidise.
    Makes a really lovely creamy soup.
    About 80 cals and 10g carbs per serving.

• posted by tom1985
    on

Ah! Verano – many thanks! I’ve heard of your soup recipe!

like a good pea soup – so I’ll give that a go!

Thankyou for your recipes!

Tom

• posted by marie123
    on

Tom
    I can vouch for them. I make both and they’re delicious. Soup is definitely one of the things that has kept me on the BSD straight and narrow!

• posted by tom1985
    on

Week 2 Update:

Pea soup made for tomorrow!!

I’ve dropped another 5lbs this week – if I’m honest, a little disappointed – but in total that’s 19lbs – so I’m being positive!!

I had first ‘meal’ out yesterday – we went to Ikea and partook in a Harvester pub lunch.. Grilled chicken breast and broccoli plus loads of soda water. I could have quite happily polished off the kids’ chips – but i didn’t. That was a big hurdle – eating out – so I’m made up!

I’m thinking of building a bit more exercise in this week. I’ve not (apart from having two kids!) felt as tired this week – so we’ll see how we get on.

Hope everybody else is cracking on.

• posted by Squidge
    on

Well done, Tom!

Talk to anyone on a ‘normal’ diet and tell them you’ve lost 5 lb in a week and then think it a huge amount. (And it’s more than I managed on any week of doing BSD). It’s not the speed which is most important here, it’s the direction and you’ve definitely got that right.

Eating out, with all the high carb temptations, and not forgetting to stick to your new healthier way of eating is brilliant.

• posted by tom1985
    on

Thanks Squidge – you’re of course right – just like my wife!

I think having lost all that weight after Week 1 – I somehow thought it might be a bigger number – but anyway! Ultimately I want to lose some weight – but you’re right – its making the right choices that is the important thing here!

Thanks for your words of encouragement! 🙂

Week 3 awaits!

• posted by Gill33UK
    on

Week 1 complete, 6lb’s down. Have faltered a bit over the weekend, life is too sociable sometimes! Back on track today and hoping for another good week. Well done everyone.

• posted by Squidge
    on

Well done, Gill. Good start.

Most of us falter, or worse, sometimes. The important thing is not to use that as an excuse to give up completely.

• posted by tom1985
    on

Evening all..
    Still going strong – and really enjoying it. I don’t feel as if I’m missing out…yet!

Quick question – what are peoples takes on the ready packaged chicken breasts / specifically the 200g mini breast fillets you can get in asda / tescos etc.. The numbers all look good portion – wise, and apart from a stabiliser – can’t really see anything too horrific? Thoughts!?

Enjoy your weekend!

• posted by Squidge
    on

Well done, Tom.

Do you mean ones which have veg/sauce/bacon whatever already in the pack and ready to cook?

If so, I’d say … it depends. They’re obviously very convenient, not just to cook, but because the calculations are done for you. And because they’re a single portion it’s easier not to overat than if you made something yourself.

On the other hand you have no control over the ingredients, and there may be additives you don’t want. Personally I’d make a note of the ingredients, then create your own version at home, leaving out anything you don’t want. You can then adjust the seasonings and flavourings to suit your taste – perhaps add more veg, or swap a higher carb item for something else. If you line an appropriate sized dish with foil (folding it over the top if appropriate) it’ll be just as easy to cook and wash up afterwards. (I often browse the ready meal aisle for recipe ideas and make my own version – but then I like cooking and enjoy the challenge of adapting a not so healthy meal into a better one.)

• posted by tom1985
    on

Hello!!

I meant the packets of chicken breast, the ready to eat hot or cold ones. You can get plain or chicken tikka or Chinese style chicken. I was thinking more of the plain chicken!!

All those ‘lovely’ ready meals I used to love have no appeal anymore!!

I quite enjoy chicken wrapped in Parma ham.

I just thought for work it might be easier. I think I microwaved the last chicken I cooked to within an inch of its life! A bit dry!

Thank you!!

• posted by Squidge
    on

Oh, I see!

How about roasting a batch of chicken breasts, slicing it up and freezing individual portions? You could take one from the freezer in the morning and it would be defrosted by lunchtime. I’m sure it would be cheaper, and if you already have suitable containers, would save on all that plastic packaging.

• posted by tom1985
    on

Hello!
    I’m gonna stick with my cooked chicken I think!! Too much messing about!
    I’ve just enjoyed my first beef stir fry – made it slightly differently than the book… under 220 cals, and 10g of carbs – was rather lovely!

Thanks for the advice!

• posted by tom1985
    on

UPDATE: Week 3

Morning all, another 6lbs off this week. I think that’s mainly due to a couple of days under 800. The truth is, on those days, I’ve not really felt particularly hungry – so moving forward, I’m going to ensure that I aim for the calories.

My total carbs are usually under 30 – which seems to work for me… but I’m still having trouble understanding the maths.. ie total carbs > fibre > sugar – but something is working so I’m not going to tempt fate!

I went to my cousins 40th birthday barbecue yesterday – loads of yummy carb laden foods – which I didn’t even give a second glance… well maybe a second – but not a third!!

Hope we’re all having a successful week!

• posted by Lynnedb
    on

Lovely to hear from you Tom, sounds like you’re really in the groove. Well done, keep going!

• posted by LeanerNina
    on

Great result Tom well done, very inspiring. I too have an invite to a family barbecue in 3 weeks time and I was wondering how you managed at yours, did you eat there at all or bring your own food? I was considering not going because of the diet (I’m on day 6 today) but if it gets easier then I probably will do. I’m feeling tired, not sluggish but slightly weak – did you notice this in your first week, and when did it subside? Also yesterday I felt irritable and tearful (maybe others can relate?) which is quite different to how I usually am. Feeling better emotionally today and the scales says 8lb down so far so I’m pleased and persevering.

• posted by tom1985
    on

Hi Lynne – thanks – so far so good! Hope you’re well!

Nina – i did feel quite ‘done in’ (the only way i can get across!!) for the first two weeks – it was only last week that I started feeling better. One thing I did do last week was ensure that I had my lunch and then immediately went out for a walk – about 2 miles. Don’t know why – but this keeps my aging joints in check(!)

I’ve definitely felt up and down – my poor wife has taken up so much slack, and I was quite irritable with the kids the other day – but I don’t think it’s surprising really – carbs, sugar, calories all down quite dramatically – so I imagine the body takes a while to adjust – although at the moment, I feel good!

As for the BBQ – I didn’t eat anything – sounds silly, but I like being in control of my own destiny – and not to say that it would have been poor quality meat (looking at it, I doubt it!) but I stuck the houmous and cucumber that I brought with me, and a little bit of prosciutto. In all honesty – I didn’t feel particularly hungry! I was too busy entertaining two mad children – so I didn’t miss it..

I suppose I’m on this diet for a number of reasons – most importantly (and I might be looking at this backwards) is to lose a significant amount of weight, quickly and then keep it off. Secondly, I want to maintain a healthy weight – so I’m less likely to develop diabetes or similar conditions.

I don’t want to limit the odd sweet treat – but I’m enjoying looking at things differently and finding a different way of doing it.

My wife has said that she wants to take me out for dinner and an overnight stay when I complete the 8 weeks – it will also be a few weeks before child number 3 is due. Prior to this diet / way of eating – I’d have said that after 8 weeks of anything, “I’M HAVING A TREAT”.. whereas now, I’m seeing it as bringing back my normal, pre BSD life – but making sensible choices.

Probably waffled there – but I hope I got across my thoughts!

Keep it up Nina – you’re all doing brilliantly!

• posted by LeanerNina
    on

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Tom – you’re not waffling at all, it’s great to hear how things are going for you and some of your thought processes. I’m quite similar to you, in that I have the same goals for quick weight loss, prevention of future diabetes and other health problems, and then maintenance of a healthy weight. I also like to be in control, as you said – I went to dinner at a friend’s house on Thursday and brought my salmon and veg with me whilst they tucked in to juicy steaks! Your post has reminded me that if I can do it once I can do it again, if I let family at the barbecue know ahead of time that I’m following a new way of eating with a very strict first eight weeks they will be fine. I guess I was just dreading any questions about it from them as over the years they have seen me at various times attempting one diet or another and my weight fluctuating. I’m being silly though, as I have told loads of people I’m following the BSD, in order to keep me accountable, so it will be no different telling them.
    I am going on holiday in three weeks time for 5 days, and we have breakfast and dinner as part of the package so I’m going to do my best to break a habit of a lifetime and not use it as an opportunity to indulge in a free for all of high sugar/high carb ‘treats’, I intend to keep tracking my calories but give myself a maintenance level of 2000 for the duration of the trip, stick strictly to low carb, then drop back to 800 for a further 5 weeks when I return. It will be a massive first if I can get home having maintained my weight, or – dare I dream – even to have a loss that week! I’ve also been reading up and watching YouTube videos on ketogenic diet and intermittent fasting (I’m already doing the fasting now as I don’t eat until the afternoon) and planning to adopt them into my way of eating once I finish the BSD. It’s all quite exciting, despite the initial pains in adjusting, to be going through a nutritional and physical transformation! Reading other people’s testimonials here of 40, 50, 100 pounds + losses is amazing and very motivating that it can be done. This forum is a brilliant source of support, so thank you – and everyone else posting and reading – for your sharing of experiences and advice.

• posted by tom1985
    on

We’re definitely very similar!

I think preparation is key – and definitely tell everybody you know. Accountability is key!!

Keep going – you’re doing brilliantly!

• posted by tom1985
    on

Morning all – just an update for the halfway point.

Total weight loss to date – 32 and 1/4 lbs… clothes I’ve not been able to wear for years are fitting. I might be going against the advice – but I’ve not been recording my measurements. I’ve taken photos.. Surprising results!

Genuinely not having any trouble with the eating.. I’ve stuck to the 800 calories – and i’m keeping my carbs below 30g/day. Quite hard on days when I’m having soup or chickpea chilli – but it seems to be working! My fasts can be anytime from 12 – 16 hours depending upon the day.

I’m still struggling understanding the concepts of carbs on the nutrition labels – despite my wife explaining it about a thousand times!!

So far so good!

Hope you”re all doing well!

Any more recipes to share!?

Tom

• posted by LeanerNina
    on

Hi Tom, brilliant progress – well done! You have been disciplined and worked hard and are reaping the benefits. Are you sticking to the recipes in the book, or experimenting with other meals? I don’t have any specific recipes to share, but I have often been having stir-frys with chicken. I find that it is more enjoyable to eat a chicken leg (drumstick and thigh), nicely seasoned and roasted in the oven without the skin, instead of chicken breast, because of the extra fat in it, it makes it more tasty and the fat increases satiety. I don’t mind eating meat on the bone although I know some people don’t like it. So I cook a big stir-fry – I might have a packet of stir-fry mix, and then last night, for example, I added to it more broccoli, cut up brussels and mushrooms. Add a bit of chinese 5 spice or cajun seasoning, stir-fry in coconut oil, eat it with the chicken leg… delicious and very filling!

I have been intermittent fasting since before I started this WOE, and now I am increasing my length of time between eating too. Usually I eat lunch around 1 or 1.30 – during the week when at work I usually take a green smoothie to work with me, which will contain things like spinach/kale/carrot/beetroot/berries with protein powder and linseed added. This is about 300 calories and fills me up. Sometimes I have a boiled egg later on but mostly I try to save the rest of my calories for a decent sized dinner. Sunday I had a big meal at about 2.30pm, using up all my daily calories, and didn’t eat again until dinner time yesterday, so did about 28 hours, which is a record for me, didn’t start out intentionally but I didn’t have time to make my lunch yesterday and then was out all day. I have been watching lots of videos on Youtube on the benefits of intermittent fasting (not just on weight loss but health in general), and it’s true what they say, the hunger comes and goes, it doesn’t just get worse and worse. By the time I sat down to eat yesterday evening I didn’t feel any more hungry than I had felt at lunchtime, and that wasn’t major hunger. I’ll go back to my 16/8 fasting times today as I’m back at work. I am feeling very well now, it’s true what you and others have said that after a couple of weeks you start to feel better. The tiredness has gone and I’m sleeping well. I just need to up my exercise now – have been recovering from a foot injury a couple of months ago but now using it as an excuse not to go to the gym! I do about 40 minutes brisk walking per day when at work, broken into 4x 10 minutes, walking to and from train stations each way. So far have lost 13 pounds and I’m chuffed. If I can lose another stone in the next 6 weeks I’ll be really happy, and any more would of course be a welcome bonus! I’m so glad to finally have my sugar cravings under control (they have vanished) as I would consider myself a sugar addict and have struggled so much to cut it and carbs out, right now it’s going smoothly so I just hope I can continue with it for the long term.
    Keep up the great work Tom (I’m sure you will!) and keep us posted.

Nina

• posted by tom1985
    on

Hi Nina – hope you’re still cracking on!
    No update last week – current weight is 222.5lbs – a total of 42.5lbs lost in 6 weeks.

Still eating really well and I’m looking forward to being able to move forward after my 8 weeks, but I’m still craving a bit of bread!!

I’m not at my goal weight – another 2 stone to that.. but it’s looking good!

Take care all – business as usual here.

• posted by tom1985
    on

Well.. here we are! 8 weeks completed. I’m not finished yet – have another two stone to get to my target of 13ST7lbs – but I’m chuffed with my progress.

Total loss is 49lbs and about 6 inches off my waist.

Will try and update fully later – but so far so good!

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Well done Tom! That’s an awesome result! I too struggle without the bread. I came across this lady, Dr Sarah Myhill, on YouTube who has found the answer I think! I shall post this on the Take a Look thread, but for now, here’s a link to her low carb linseed and very simple to make, bread! My golden linseeds arrived this morning and when I get home, I shall be grinding up the seeds and having a go! She actually follows paleo, but was struggling with the lack of bread. Here’s the link:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjwjUXxELb0
    Let me know if you have a go and how it turns out and I’ll do the same!
    Good luck…

• posted by KimSue
    on

If you live near an ALDI store, try their Bakers Life 85% lower carb bread – 5g of carbs per 2 slices. Low GI, lots of protein and fibre, and tasty. Well reviewed by nutritionists and others.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Thanks for the suggestion, re Aldi bread, I regularly shop in there and have never seen any. Now I know the name I will ask next time I am in there.

Please log in or register to post a reply.